Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe they're building a snowdome Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-1/383_read-6857/

The First Flyer gives four people the chance to simultaneously yet independently, glide through the air on a length of cable about 800 metres long, at speeds of up to 84km/h.

In effect the construction is four parallel Tyroliennes, which link the starting and finishing platforms without supporting masts. Guests sit in a special harness which is very similar to that used for paragliding. The harness is attached to a safe roller mechanism.

The facility is just as suitable for use in winter as in summer and makes a spectacular addition to the other mountain activities on offer. The First Flyer is suitable for people of all ages: it will fascinate children and adults and the fact that four people can use the First Flyer at the same time highlights the attraction as a family and group experience.

The dream of swishing through the air becomes reality with the First Flyer; particularly as the high speed and maximum height of 45 metres above ground will create a carefree feeling.

This kind of facility is currently found only in the USA (Park City, Snowbird, Utah Olympic Park, Icy Strait Point,
Wildcat and Heavenly Valley) and in Siberia (Krasnojarsk). The facility at Grindelwald-First will thus be the first of
its kind in the whole of Europe.

Launch of First Flyer: 13. December 2008

Looks great fun !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Brookes wrote:
the high speed and maximum height of 45 metres above ground will create a carefree feeling.

I think the word "carefree" may have lost something in translation! Laughing

It does look fun though ....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No one knows not even Wengen Tourism -

'Thank you for your mail. We do not exactly know what they are building.

For further information do not hesitate to contact us again or log on www.myjungfrau.ch

Kind regards from the mountains
Sophie von Siebenthal
Wengen Tourismus'
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Brookes, I am in Wengen on Saturday for a week will go up and have a look.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
riverman, cheers

Letter to shareholders mention future projects -

Jungfrau Railways in growth and earning power. The Jungfraubahn AG wants to significantly increase the output of its 100-year-old power station in Lütschental. The five old machine groups are to be replaced by two modern multi-jet machines at a cost of CHF 10 million, thus increasing electricity production by 50%. Commissioning is planned for the beginning of 2010.

Snow-making facilities in the Kleine Scheidegg ski region are currently being expanded for the coming winter and both the Fallboden and Wixi chairlifts will have a piste with technical snow. By winter 2009/2010, the Kleine Scheidegg - Eigergletscher – Lauberhorn piste carousel will be rounded off by the new Eiger North Wall six-seater chairlift including snowmaking facilities.

Full article - http://www.jungfrau-zeitung.ch/english/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I assume that the Eiger North Wall chairlift will replace that blasted T bar and Go up from the same start point as the Arven, at least that's been the plan for at least the last 5 years
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, I thought i had posted that info before, sourced from german speaking alpinforum... but i cannot find my post Sad

The lift will run from Arven, up to the T-Bars bottom station, and from there the same course as the T-Bar.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
By winter 2009/2010, the Kleine Scheidegg - Eigergletscher – Lauberhorn piste carousel will be rounded off by the new Eiger North Wall six-seater chairlift including snowmaking facilities.

I thought this lift was supposed to open this coming winter. At least that's what the banner on the Arven lift station said last season.

Has anyone seen any building going on?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike, IIRC the banner that I saw in a few places had 2 years worth of improvements on, and the new chair was 2009/10. That was after the Fallboden accident, so whether that has affected timescale or not, I don't know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm ah well I'm going in a couple of weeks so I'll have a peek.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not seen any building work going on there
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Banner said opening December 2009 before and after fallboden incident, so nothing changed there.

They did upgrade the plans to a 6, while a 4 was announced whole season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, try grindelwald, they seem to be more connected to the mannlichen for some reason.

I heard the DHO are in town tomorrow, remember the same rules apply in summer, it is technically my mountain. wink

/rant on

Snow cannons, new lifts, apartments everywhere....... They are slowly ruining this place, I don't agree with any of it, what's next? a magic carpet to the top of mannlichen? T bar to white hair? A sign on lauberhorn saying "Stab's secret untouched off piste this way --->" It's going to the dogs and I'm distancing myself from it, no good will come of all this I tell you. Next thing you know more bloody people come here on holiday and I get even less time off work.

/rant off
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab, I see they are forecasting below zero degrees for Sunday at 2000metres, does this mean snow?
latest report
I'm expecting snow tomorrow on scheidegg. Hopefully anyway, working in the rain is shite.
ski holidays
stab, Well I have just put some warmer gear in my bag , might say hello on Scheidegg during the next week
ski holidays
riverman, I'm not there from Weds until the following Tuesday, sorry ladies, teh Stab is off the market for good from friday.
snow report
stab, So I hear
ski holidays
stab wrote:
Chris Brookes, try grindelwald, they seem to be more connected to the mannlichen for some reason.

I heard the DHO are in town tomorrow, remember the same rules apply in summer, it is technically my mountain. wink

/rant on

Snow cannons, new lifts, apartments everywhere....... They are slowly ruining this place, I don't agree with any of it, what's next? a magic carpet to the top of mannlichen? T bar to white hair? A sign on lauberhorn saying "Stab's secret untouched off piste this way --->" It's going to the dogs and I'm distancing myself from it, no good will come of all this I tell you. Next thing you know more bloody people come here on holiday and I get even less time off work.

/rant off

I must admit when we visited in August i couldnt believe how much the resort had changed ,it seems alot bigger now
latest report
stab, just watched 'You Dont Mess With The Zohan'....lol
snow report
Chris Brookes, "Let's party, throw the cat up"

I did a big omfglolzroflmfaoeleventy111!!1 to that one.
snow report
it was good
ski holidays
stab wrote:
I'm expecting snow tomorrow on scheidegg. Hopefully anyway, working in the rain is shite.

I rock

Captured effortlessly
Thats the way it was
Happened so naturally
I did not know it was love
The next thing I felt was
You holding me close
What was I gonna do?
I let myself go

And now were flyin through the star
I hope this night will last forever

Ive been waitin for you
Its been so long
I knew just what I would do
When I heard your song
Filled my heart with your bliss
Gave me freedom
You knew I could not resist
I needed someone

And now were flyin through the stars
I hope this night will last forever
Oh oh oh oh

Chorus:
Aint nobody
Loves me better
Makes me happy
Makes me feel this way
Aint nobody
Loves me better than you

I wait for night time to come
And bring you to me
Cant believe Im the one
I was so lonely
I feel like no one could feel
I must be dreamin
I want this dream to be real
I need this feelin

I make my wish upon a star
And hope this night will last forever

Chorus

And first you put your arms around me
Then you put your charms around me
I cant resist this sweet surrender
Oh my nights are warm and tender
We stare into each others eyes
And what we see is no surprise
Got a feeling most with treasure
And a love so deep we cannot measure

Chorus

Winter is coming Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool snowHead Cool Very Happy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Eh oh! Pinky
snow conditions
What a sight !!!!!!!
ski holidays
Some insider Jungfrau knowledge required please. I'd decided on a trip to Wengen in March and was merrily planning away but now our dates have had to slip back to w/c 4th April Sad Is it likely to be worth it snow wise early April? From snow history I can find it doesn't look too promising for lower slopes, do they manage to keep most open first week or so in April and are most lifts still even running then? Thanks
ski holidays
could be shite, could be epic. Them's the chances you take. Lifts don't start closing down until the discounted ski passes start, all depends on numbers through the gates unfortunately, if the people drop the lifts start dying off Sad

edit: do you ski?
snow conditions
13th april 07

7th april 07

7th april 06 (not that I cared about april in 06, poxy bones)

6th april 05

Could be bare in the village and good up top, could be new snow everywhere, could be all closed, who knows? Puzzled I've never seen it closed that early though even if it does get crap by the afternoon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks stab, good pics, obvisouly April 06 not looking so good for you Smile From the looks it seems like the upper slopes still decent most years, can live without great conditions lower down, just need the lifts and pistes open higher up! We'll be a mixed bunch of skiers and non skiers and Wengen was popular as it looks picturesque and interesting with the railway and walking etc. for the non skiers plus I really fancy trying it so we'll give it a go I think. Hopefully as its Easter around then there'll be a few more people and the lfits will be largely open ...

We're going self catering (as long as I can find a place that can provide a cot), been looking at the chalet services website which seems pretty good, any recommendations for restaurants etc. for the odd night out? cheers
ski holidays
Rowlski, you could always visit the other resort.....Murren 1650m (i think its called) if the snow is *rap down below .

piste map - http://www.schilthorn.ch/?uid=52

resort - http://www.muerren.ch/

snow report
20-year-old falls to his death from Mürrenfluh
The Untersuchungsrichteramt IV Berner Oberland (Examining Magistrate’s Office) and the Bernese Cantonal Police report a fatal base jumping accident on Thursday 11 September. A group of jumpers were at the launch spot on the Mürrenfluh near Stechelberg (municipality of Lauterbrunnen). Eyewitnesses report that one of the jumpers got into trouble after his canopy opened and he had difficulties controlling his flight. He collided with the rock face several times before falling parallel to the mountain flank, where he sustained fatal injuries.

It is the second fatal accident at Mürrenfluh in recent weeks - a 31-year-old Australian fell to his death on August 21 – and the fourth in the Jungfrau Microcosm this season.

article at - http://www.jungfrau-zeitung.ch
snow report
Chris, sad news, but I would imagine that it can only be expected that there are some fatalities. BASE jumping is illegal in may places due to the risks involved, and Lauterbrunnen is a popular spot for it.
snow conditions
Thanks Chris Brookes, yes probably will visit Murren for a day anyway and good option if the snow if poor at Wengen.

Sad news about the fatality, though not totally surprising as Elizabeth B says. Did anyone see the news footage of that guy's base jump in Norway about a week back, he bumped his way down the side of a fjord and luckily got his fall broken by some trees. Think he ended up with cracked ribs and a broken arm or similar buit could have been a whole lot worse.
latest report
I got the official dates through from the Jungfrau tourist office today, basically through to 13th April, have posted the full dates here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1016565#1016565

So shall definitely go for our first Wengen experience next April Very Happy
snow conditions
Rowlski wrote:
I got the official dates through from the Jungfrau tourist office today, basically through to 13th April, have posted the full dates here:

Snow on the ground makes it official not the tourist office.... Laughing
ski holidays
Well true Smile But at least now I know they intend to keep most lifts running until 13th April. Just have to start the snow dances now snowHead
latest report
Rowlski wrote:

grr ffs, so yet again mannlichen is first to close despite it being the far better mountain in april compared to shitey lauberhorn year after year after year. I give up, I despair, I roll my eyes skywards, whoever is in charge should be shot, then bugg3r3d, then shot again.
At least schilthorn is a more reasonable 26th april. I'm in a bad mood now, I noticed they extended First's season though, First always closes before mannlichen and now it's the same day, did I mention I give up, despair, rolling eyes etc yet?
I hope the lauberhorn race gets bad weathered off this year, hah take that.
snow conditions
stab, I've never been able to work out why they open Mannlichen after and close it before everywhere else, as you say it makes no sense, likewise you'd think given the last decades or so of lte seasons that they might consider staying open till later, Ah well I guess that's the Swiss for you they just don't like change, I doubt sometimes if they'd even have a ski industrie if it weren't for the likes of A. Lunn Shocked
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
I doubt sometimes if they'd even have a ski industrie if it weren't for the likes of A. Lunn Shocked

well there wouldn't be a murren, that's for sure. But is that a bad thing? Laughing
snow report
stab wrote:
D G Orf wrote:
I doubt sometimes if they'd even have a ski industrie if it weren't for the likes of A. Lunn Shocked

well there wouldn't be a murren, that's for sure. But is that a bad thing? Laughing

Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy