Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@UtahGetMeTwo, it was 36 years old!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
apologies - it's Plattieres 3 i'm thinking of. Do you know why it was replaced by the Bouquetin chair.

It was an ancient fibreglass boneshaker. Mind, we had a bit of a soft spot for it - lots of character Very Happy .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plattieres 3 used to be a good way IN to the Meribel valley for nervous skiers wanting to avoid Lac de la Chambre / Venturon. Can you descend on the Bouquetin chair?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 2-02-24 10:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You may still be able to relive your memories if you can find whichever eccentric bought the old bubbles to put in their garden! https://www.leski.com/blog/resort_news/Plattieres_3
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, ha ! - was it an age thing do you think ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bergmeister, I agree ! - plus I prefer a bubble at that height on a ridge.

It's a bit like the old Aiguille Du Fruit chair was terrifying up that ridgein Courchevel. before they changed it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:

It's a bit like the old Aiguille Du Fruit chair was terrifying up that ridgein Courchevel. before they changed it.

Am I correct in remembering a draglift there? Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bergmeister, how far back are you going ?
was a dodgy 2 seater (wooden ?) chair 15 years back, which they replaced with a newer 4 (or 6 ?) chair maybe 10 years ago.
Others may know about the drag, but it's an exposed ridge so not sure how it could have been.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
@Bergmeister, how far back are you going ?
was a dodgy 2 seater (wooden ?) chair 15 years back, which they replaced with a newer 4 (or 6 ?) chair maybe 10 years ago.
Others may know about the drag, but it's an exposed ridge so not sure how it could have been.

Late 80s, when we first went. I can still spot the straight line clearing in the trees at the bottom (ie the line of the lift).

That's if my memory serves me correctly wink .

Am I also correct in remembering Roc 2 being a draglift? I even think it may have been called Allemands... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ecureuil wrote:
Plattieres 3 used to be a good way IN to the Meribel valley for nervous skiers wanting to avoid Lac de la Chambre / Venturon. Can you descend on the Bouquetin chair?
Yes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:

Yes and no. Aiguille du Fruit was the dodgy chair mentioned but went higher up, halfway up Suisses and above Park City. There was a drag called Fruit next to it on roughly the same line as the current Aiguille du Fruit chair and another drag up towards Cave des Creux.

They then pulled both drags and replaced them with the Gravelles chair before pulling both chairs and replacing them with the current Aiguille du Fruit that terminates much lower than the original one - pretty much where the original Fruit drag was, I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^^

this right here is some great knowledge. well done @Je suis un Skieur,
Any insight on why Plattieres 3 was replaced ? Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister wrote:
Am I also correct in remembering Roc 2 being a draglift? I even think it may have been called Allemands... Puzzled

I had to look that one up! I remember the original Allemande chair with the orange hoops but not a drag. But you're right, there was an Allemands drag next to the chair in the 80s.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
Any insight on why Plattieres 3 was replaced ? Smile

As already mentioned, because it was ancient! Last original egg in the Meribel valley and too slow loading. It's not wholly correct, though. They changed the line of Plattieres. It was originally a 3 stage lift but they pulled the mid station (Platierres 2) and put in the Chatelet chair instead which loads on the opposite side of the piste.

The replacement Plattieres also unloads on the opposite side, above Chatelet. So whereas you could originally ride from Mottaret central to the top of Les Menuires in one go (you had to get out and change cabin from P2 to P3 but it was the same station), Plattieres 3 was now left as an orphan lift. It's a lot of infrastructure for one short bubble so hence the upgrade.

They've also reinstated the black piste below it (now called Ibex but left as a Freeride area) which might be the off-piste you referred to. It was a piste called Bouquetin in the 80s and then got closed in the 90s I think.

Only one egg to go in the whole 3Vs which is Chenus in Courchevel 1850 and that's due to come out this summer, I believe.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 2-02-24 12:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
YES !!
I remember being able to go from Mottaret to the top of Les Menuires in one hit, and it's a bit more faff now. (get off Platierres, ski/board to Bouquetin)
and yes, that Freeride area is exactly that off-piste area. it was relatively straight forward to access it getting off Platierres 3.

That change of getting off new Plattieres/Chatelet the other side, and orphaning Plattieres 3, combined with it being an old egg probably doomed it.
Times change I guess.

This is exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
ski holidays
Most people here probably aware already but the La Tania site which seems to be maintained by a British guy who runs the pub there is a goldmine of historical changes for the past couple of decades at least, for example this page talking about the P3 replacement https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2022-the-definitive-guide-part-2-of-3/
snow conditions
@javindo, ha - yes I love the la tania site. (did a week in la tania in 2011) - that site is my go-to for quick access to up to date Piste maps.
Also love how it has an old school web feel like snowheads.
ski holidays
Speaking of 3V changes. Does anyone know why the Outdoor Pool in Les Menuires was got rid of.
Energy costs ?
snow report
javindo wrote:
the La Tania site which seems to be maintained by a British guy who runs the pub

Toffa runs the website, Tim (and Debbie) Wall own the pub(s). But yes, together they have been promoting La Tania to Brits for at least 25 years. (I might be doing Toffa a disservice there which if I am, I apologise for. Tim had his 30 year anniversary this year, I just don't know for certain if Toffa's been there the full 30 or a bit less.)
snow conditions
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
YES !!
This is exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Happy to help. It's fun to reminisce and reflect on just how much has changed. Makes me feel old though... Laughing
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:

Yes and no. Aiguille du Fruit was the dodgy chair mentioned but went higher up, halfway up Suisses and above Park City. There was a drag called Fruit next to it on roughly the same line as the current Aiguille du Fruit chair and another drag up towards Cave des Creux.

They then pulled both drags and replaced them with the Gravelles chair before pulling both chairs and replacing them with the current Aiguille du Fruit that terminates much lower than the original one - pretty much where the original Fruit drag was, I think.

Some interesting reminders here. I'm quite good with heights but the old Aiguille Du Fruit chair gave me the heebie jeebies because of the perceived drop off to the left as you went up. It also went into that nice col that allowed you to access Suisse coming across from C1650, now there's at least one more lift to do it from C1650.
snow conditions
@Je suis un Skieur, me too !! but fun to reminisce.

@stevew, Yes - exactly this. That drop to the left (my brain think it was to the right) of the old Aiguille Du Fruit was terrifying.
ski holidays
@UtahGetMeTwo, Do you mean the one in Bruyeres? If it's that one, it was a simply upgraded and turned into an indoor pool-it's quite fancy now with "wellness facilities" and there's a lot more accommodation down there. It must have been a few years ago now. If there was another outdoor pool, I wasn't aware of it.
snow report
@Perty I don't think so.
I think it was in La Croisette in front of Brasserie Des Belleville / The Aravis building.
It was there 20 years ago. we stayed in Courchevel 1650. Boarded over the 3V to Les Men. Lunch and a swim, then boarded back.
I have a photo I can post later.
latest report
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
@Perty I don't think so.
I think it was in La Croisette in front of Brasserie Des Belleville / The Aravis building.
It was there 20 years ago. we stayed in Courchevel 1650. Boarded over the 3V to Les Men. Lunch and a swim, then boarded back.

Got absorbed into the Centre Sportif/Le Break, I think. No idea when though. I did my first 3V season in 2004 and don't remember an outdoor pool in the Croisette, only the one at Bruyeres that Perty mentioned. Having said that though, I rarely go anywhere near the Aravis building so if it was up the hill a bit I might not have seen it anyway.

https://sogevab.com/le-break-les-menuires/
snow report
maybe i'm mistaken and it was in Bruyeres.
ski holidays
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
@Perty I don't think so.

We first skied in the 3Vs in January 1987 and there was an outdoor pool at Croisette in Les Menuires then Very Happy.

FWIW we paid £179 pp for a last minute deal. 14 nights self catering in an apartment in Mottaret, including flights, transfers and accommodation. Those were the days... it was a 5 hour transfer from Geneva before they built the motorway for the Albertville Olympics Shocked .

We had been married for only 4 months and were a bit skint - so ate in for 13 nights. I have no idea how I remember this (possibly as it shocked us) but the bill for our one 1 meal out nearly gave us a heart attack. It cost us £28, which was a fortune to us at the time Shocked .

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 3-02-24 16:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

I had to look that one up! I remember the original Allemande chair with the orange hoops but not a drag. But you're right, there was an Allemands drag next to the chair in the 80s.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowrider wrote:
To add to the above, while the Boulevard is an easy blue it deposits you on the steepest pitch of Geai, which is very steep for a blue and often firm / icy. In some conditions the best option is to continue straight on (off piste) to the Saulire mid station rather than turning right down Geai. That off piste is currently pretty polished though, so no easy options to get from the end of the Boulevard onto the Blanchot green. Downloading on the Loze chair recommended if you want an easy life.
and miss all the fun Eh oh! .

We tend to cross right over after the end of the boulevard. Then it’s a nice run to the green for nervous skiers.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
snowqueen50 wrote:
Yes we do Smile

Like us. And like us, you avoid skiing the 3Vs in Feb wink .

However, we use our 3Vs passes for 6 days skiing in Colorado then (for free Very Happy ). I'd highly recommended it if you haven't tried it! We are flying out on Monday next week to Denver Very Happy .

Thank you v much for this - I hadn’t realised this was an option. Oscar (meribel ski) mentioned that it works the other way round too..I never knew !
ski holidays
snowqueen50 wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
snowqueen50 wrote:
Yes we do Smile

Like us. And like us, you avoid skiing the 3Vs in Feb wink .

However, we use our 3Vs passes for 6 days skiing in Colorado then (for free Very Happy ). I'd highly recommended it if you haven't tried it! We are flying out on Monday next week to Denver Very Happy .

Thank you v much for this - I hadn’t realised this was an option. Oscar (meribel ski) mentioned that it works the other way round too..I never knew !

The incredible thing is that most of the staff employed in the 3 Valleys don't even know about it - and that includes staff selling lift tickets! We found the information on the 3 Valleys website and have now used our 3Vs season passes on 3 previous February trips Very Happy . 6 days skiing in Vail resorts would cost at least $600 each, so it's a shame not to use the free days wink.

When we've mentioned it to instructors, seasonnaires, sports shop workers and others in the 3Vs they have genuinely been stunned!

We simply turn up at a lift ticket office in Colorado and show them our 3Vs season passes and receipt and they give us a 6 day ski pass Very Happy . We base ourselves in the Breckenridge/Keystone/Silverthorne area and ski at Breck, Keystone, Vail and Beaver Creek - usually adding on a day or 2 at Loveland and Arapahoe Basin (where we buy lift passes).

Extract from the website:-

https://www.les3vallees.com/en/guide/all-skipasses/season-passes#:~:text=An%20unlimited%20pass%20that%20covers,for%20the%20whole%20ski%20season!
latest report
Bergmeister, we share a love of the same things - the 3V's and Colorado!
Probably done 30 weeks in both until 2015 when my Daughter suffered a life changing brain injury. I'm finally hopeful of resuming skiing next year now she's been awarded damages for their negligence Sad
snow report
First trip to Breck/Vail/Steamboat in 1994 for 3 weeks fully catered for £799! Including SUV hire for the duration lol
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, how often do you need to ski the 3v to make the season pass work out? I’ll be doing 3 trips there this season!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Bergmeister, how often do you need to ski the 3v to make the season pass work out? I’ll be doing 3 trips there this season!

Following a great tip from Perty we managed to get discount season passes in November, for this season. We paid a bargain €1085 per person.

Full price is however about €1500. As a 6 day pass costs €375, at full price a season pass costs the same as 4 6-day passes. We managed over 50 days in the 3vs last season, plus 6 days (free) in Colorado Very Happy .
snow report
@BackCountryBob,
So sorryto hear that, BCB. I hope things work out for you all.
ski holidays
Aye, thanks - it's been a rough few years. She's made a miraculous recovery though - confounded the medics who wanted to switch the life support off!!
latest report
Hi all, heading to Meribel for half term. Is the snow holding up? Looks like none forecast before we go…,
ski holidays
RosieL wrote:
Hi all, heading to Meribel for half term. Is the snow holding up? Looks like none forecast before we go…,

I'm just back from LM. Snow above 2300m is decent and holding up well considering.

Below this, esp under 2000m, it is very icey, slushy and mogully. Stay high.
ski holidays
Staying in Meribel Village. Pick your slopes, pick your lines and it's not too bad. Some hard patches, and lots of sugary snow, but better than expected, and not slushy even on the home run.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy