Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
Ronald, at least you are there and not at work like me Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Brookes, My skiing is work !

Ronald nods in total convidence about that statement!

Oh I spotted a stab live on *bleeeeeep* and his girlfriend snowHead
I say he did quite well Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ronald wrote:
Oh I spotted a stab live on *bleeeeeep* and his girlfriend snowHead
I say he did quite well Wink

Quite well as in I didn't fall or drop my sticks, the rest was terrible. Sad I don't think I'll ever get this skiing thing.

I spotted a riverman yesterday, no doughnuts though Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab, that Figeler is a bloody steep thing for a beginner... and steep stuff is more awkward for a beginner skier then a beginner boarder.

Haven't spotted the riverman yet ...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab,what made you give skiing a go ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Brookes, he wants to go touring I think, he did say a few pages ago wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, a few pages ago ........i was skiing in France so missed it wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stick envy wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK a question for you Jungfrau regulars:

I'm driving to Wengen (well Lauterbrunnen) on Saturday. Have driven to the French Alps many times, but never to the Swiss ones. Going over on the tunnel, Autoroute suggests a Reims, Metz, Basel, Berne route with a little section of D road to cut the Strasbourg corner. At 737miles (from Leicester) does this sound about right to you guys?

Also anything I should be aware of in terms of requirements that differ from driving in France. I have M+S rated tyres, carry chains, a first aid kit a reflective triangle and high visibility Jackets, have I missed anything?

I guess I'll have to pay the Swiss motorway ticket at the border, is this straightforward?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Warning triangle has to be stored within reach of the driver's seat....so not at the bottom of the boot.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is from the resort's website:
Jungfrau Railways exploring futuristic project idea: Additional fast access to the Jungfraujoch
Quote:
Jungfraubahn Holding AG is exploring the futuristic idea of an efficient fast form of access to the Jungfraujoch as an addition to the historic cogwheel railway. Such a form of access would release new growth potential and strengthen the touristic attractiveness of the Jungfrau Region without adversely affecting the high-Alpine landscape. A feasibility study is now to show if such a project can be realized. Further clarifications will follow in close cooperation with the regional authorities as well as interested associations and organizations.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan, Motorway vignette can be obtained from the customs post, don't cut of the Strasbourg corner, the road is fine to start off with but ends up as hairpin bends which is where I wrote off a Freelander, best route is take the toll roads to Strasbourg then cross the river/border there and take the motorway down to Basle, this avoids the pain of dodging the trams and other traffic in Basle, add about 30 miles to the autoroute figures and you should be ok, after Bern you should be on the A8, stay on until the Wilderwil turn off (junction 25?) where you turn right, then stay on that road past Wilderswil and along the valley to Lauterbrunnen, it's quite a long and widy road but it's usually in good condition, be aware however that many locals drive along there far faster than they should, the turn off for the station car park is on your left just before you get into Lauterbrunnen, there's a bridge from something like the 5th floor of the car park to the station
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, D G Orf, Thanks both. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kerekip, I saw that. An interesting concept.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes wrote:
stab,what made you give skiing a go ??

I got in touch with my feminine side.
snow report
I'd do boarding for stabs feminine side Wink

Not at all bad taste this guy has Wink
latest report
D G Orf, Just been looking on Autoroute, and to clarify are you suggesting the the E52 - A5 route from Strasbourg to Basle, or the French side A35 ? They both appear to meet at Basle and since I have a French Telepeage device it is convenient for me to use French Autoroutes other things being equal?
snow conditions
AxsMan, German route, which is free anyway the E35/A5 it's a better route than the French side however it's up to you, I've done both and know which I prefer, that was the route I was advised to use by my Swiss friends anyway
ski holidays
I just looked at the skiclub website and it is claiming 10cm of new snow fell yesterday, but checked www.wengen.com and it claims 20cms in the village which is a loss of 10cms over the last 2 days - anyone in the village able to comment on conditions. I arrive on Saturday, and there's nothing I an do about it, but I wouldn't mind knowing just to set expectations!
snow report
...oh, and if there is anyone in the village, can they mend the webcam - its not working!
ski holidays
AdrianV, Conditions are the best I can remember in the past few years. All runs are excellent - we had a pretty good snowfall last night (good enough to get me out of bed early this mornng anyway!). It's nice to be able to ski all the way to Grumbleweed without having to worry about rocks and bare patches - the ski area seems a lot bigger than usual!

Ronald, Beer! I'll be in the Sunstar from about 6 tonight mate Very Happy
snow report
AdrianV wrote:
I just looked at the skiclub website and it is claiming 10cm of new snow fell yesterday, but checked www.wengen.com and it claims 20cms in the village which is a loss of 10cms over the last 2 days - anyone in the village able to comment on conditions. I arrive on Saturday, and there's nothing I an do about it, but I wouldn't mind knowing just to set expectations!

easy, it rained all day in the village and snowed at night.
snow conditions
telford_mike, Your timing is excelent!

Medal ceremony at Club-Med 4:30
Snowshow training from 5 till 6-6:30,
and thursdays is our normal feast-at-Club-Med evening, but i'll try to drop by real quick at Sunstar Wink
latest report
I'm reclaiming my mountain for 2 days, disguise kit is on, release the fury. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
AxsMan, German route, which is free anyway the E35/A5 it's a better route than the French side however it's up to you, I've done both and know which I prefer, that was the route I was advised to use by my Swiss friends anyway

Thanks for that, looking at the detail on Multimap it does look like the Strasbourg ring road leading on to the N4-E52-E35 would be simpler to negotiate than getting across Basle. I'll give the German side a try! snowHead
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
AdrianV, Conditions are the best I can remember in the past few years. All runs are excellent - we had a pretty good snowfall last night (good enough to get me out of bed early this mornng anyway!). It's nice to be able to ski all the way to Grumbleweed without having to worry about rocks and bare patches - the ski area seems a lot bigger than usual!

That sounds like the kind of news I want to hear. Arriving on Saturday! Woooot!
ski holidays
AxsMan, yup - fantastic news, also arriving on Saturday - wooohooooooo! Very Happy
snow conditions
Lovely day here today - pretty much everything open (bar Fallboden & Salzegg - but extra trains to Eigergletscher). Warm this afternoon - more like April than February. A few icy spots on the way down to Mary's following yesterday's rain, but nothing to worry about.

It's a bit busy at the moment. A good plan is to start as early as you can (08.45 cable-car to Mannlichen is about the best I can manage) and you'll have about an hour and a half doing all the Mannlichen & Lager variations before it starts getting crowded. NB - you can't get the GGM back up from Holenstein at the moment. Grab a coffee, then ski across to Scheidegg with a run or two down Tschuggen (excellent) on the way. Early lunch then ski Lauberhorn, Moos, Wixi etc while everyone else is eating. After that do one last Wixi and down to Mary's, then as many circuits around Allmend-Mary's as you can manage, before the crowds start coming home.

Of course there's loads of other stuff (all the Eigergletscher/Salzegg sector for instance) to roll into the equation too. I'd be a bit wary of going down to Grindelwald unless you don't mind a jam-packed train or a long wait at the gondola to get back up again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
It's a bit busy at the moment.

not where I was Very Happy Not one person. Very Happy Very Happy

The way home
latest report
Just back from Wengen where I found stab, in his dungeon lair andtelford_mike, at one of his regular stops the Sunstar bar. I did not meetRonald, although I think he was also in the Sunstar bar when I was there. Wengen was much busier this year at this time due to Easter being very early and therefore some countries having their half term early. This was further componded by high winds shutting various lifts at times. However we did have snow on various days which ment that from 9am to 11am very good snow was availble on piste and off piste.
snow report
riverman, I was the guy that walked in in skischool jacket.... You Should have asked Wink
ski holidays
Ronald, Well all being well I shall be back next year at the same time so perhaps we wll meet then
snow conditions
After today I basically give up, the new challenge is to NOT recognise me. Laughing
ski holidays
stab, Perhaps you should grow a beard and take up curling
ski holidays
stab wrote:
After today I basically give up, the new challenge is to NOT recognise me. Laughing

Go and live in Murren Laughing
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
stab wrote:

Go and live in Murren Laughing

to be honest that wouldn't be so bad.
snow conditions
Can someone turn on the fridge please?

1 shirt, 1 summerjacket wide open
Still felt awkward due to the warmth, skiing style sucked too...
up until entering the shade of the Gummi Nord; Which is turning into a nice mogulfield wink

Then went to honegg, which was not at all queing.. hardpack with some loose snow, cept the steep sections being scraped... gripping everywhere wven the scraed bare stuff., just trouble with the skis flapping about ;(
latest report
15:20 SB Gummi Sesselbahn 675 3 219
15:26 SB Gummi Sesselbahn 675 3 219
15:33 SB Gummi Sesselbahn 675 3 219
15:39 SB Gummi Sesselbahn 675 3 219
15:46 SB Gummi Sesselbahn 675 3 219
15:53 SB Gummi Sesselbahn 675 3 219
16:00 SB Gummi Sesselbahn 675 3 219

So I "found" a place to improve my mogul skiing, and stay cool Wink
snow conditions
You slowed down as the afternoon wore on though, those 6 minute laps turned into 7 minute ones.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Different routes down the slope + they had a few minor tech issues, some sensor was messing things up Wink

Tomorrow have my private from 13:00, so might go out in the morning Wink
5 minute run?
(thats gonna be difficult, as the lift itself is 3 mins)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy