Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
There are a couple of ATMs in the village, and yes, places take VISA.

Regarding train tickets, from Basel you are probably best just turning up to the ticket office...although I think that you can buy them on the internet and print them off (NOTE - you must have a printer Very Happy )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ado, All the hotels and sports shops in the village take visa, not sure about the coop, It will be warm at the end of the week, but probably not for enough time to do serious damage to the slopes and next week looks like being colder so you should be ok.

I prefer Cental sport simply because they have the most stock but it doesn't really make much difference, yes there's an ATM in the village or is it 2.

I'd not bother to get tickets in advance Basle station is huge with plenty of ticket counters and most rail people speek at least enough english to sell you the tickets.

If they're selling hot jam donuts outside the bakery arround 5pm try them wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf wrote:

If they're selling hot jam donuts outside the bakery around 5pm try them wink

[Homer Simpson Mode] aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh Very Happy

Why hasnt this been mentioned before ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe, They are nice, I always buy two .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ado wrote:
Yikes - I arrive in Wengen on Saturday with family (wife and 3 smallishkids). Will the kiddie bunny slopes in the village be usable in this weather since a possible heatwave is mentioned?

Definete yes. All gunned snow doesn't care about torrential rain or a bit of heat (it lasted last year, and they gunned more now)

Quote:

WIll it be raining at Wengen resort level?

Likely Sad
Quote:

Will I as a confirmed average intermediate (11 weeks skiing) be able to get much done in my 3 hours of ski school freedom?

Don't see why not, you got a quiet week, and the lift system is fast everywhere (the only slow lift broke slightly in a tiny bit of wind)
Quote:

Any particular ski hire shop or are they all ok?
Is there an ATM in the village so I can get Swiss Francs?
I assume everywhere takes VISA?

Central is my recommendation as well, largest, friendly, knowledgable.
2 ATMS
VISA shouldn't be a problem, and even Coop will take plastic (They even have plastic of their own 'brand')

Quote:

We are going by Ryanair to Basel and planning on getting to Wengen using rail - looking at www.rail.ch it all looks OK...should I get tickets in advance? Not sure tho as Ryanair may be late - so is there something like a weekly family return?

https://www.sbb.ch/mct/wi/shop/b2c/tree.do?key=40

Check the swiss transfer ticket, under 16s travel free...
Quote:

Any other advice about the village?

Thanks!

Enjoy it, its a nice little town Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
riverman,
Quote:

They are nice, I always buy two .

Only two ? I usually end up buying half a dozen or so and sharing them out in the hope that people will say no thanks and I get to scoff the lot Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf wrote:

If they're selling hot jam donuts outside the bakery arround 5pm try them wink

Haha yes probably the best Wengen tip of all time snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ado, ignore my doom-mongering regarding the heatwave; last year was supposed to be dire but I still enjoyed 2 weeks of quite satisfactory skiing. Watching the Lauberhorn this weekend just gone, and it all looked very white compared to last year when everyone was standing around in t-shirts and being bitten by mosquitos. So the weather outlook is unpredictable, unless your surname is Orf.....however, in the interests of initiating rumour, I understand there was an old wooden cowshed at the top of the nursery slope in Wengen last year which has been dismantled - maybe they're gonna recycle the planks to build an ark. Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure it will be fine !!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I need directions to this bakery !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smokin Joe, Come out of the station and turn left into the high street, bakery is the first shop you come to, easy wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are these the legendary doughnuts that stab treats as currency? How many doughnuts to the pound is it these days? Is the exchange rate faring better than the swiss roll... er... franc?

DG Orf... I thought you were on a health kick!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, some things ..... well let's just say that they're worth burning a few calories for Embarassed Besides its about 2 years since I last had any Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Health kick??? Apple Fritters at Brandegg -morning coffee break; lunch Rosti (and apple fritters if at brandegg) doughnuts from Bakery on way back to Alpenrose, then 5 course dinner and a few malts. and so to bed.- repeat for 10 days. Just what the doctor ordered wink

ADO; Ronald's advice for rail transfer ticket is sound- we've found it th easiest way for rail transfer, but the Swiss rail system is SOOOO good that whichever way you purchase a ticket there will be no problem. Enjoy Wengen!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ado.....did i mention you should pop across and up to Murren while you visit the region ? Laughing
snow report
Chris Brookes, meant to ask you... do you think it's worth our while to pop over and visit Murren during our week in Wengen? Just looks like a long way to go with not much extra to offer in the way of slopes... do we get a t-shirt or something to commemorate our visit if we make the effort?

wink
latest report
Given that AdrianV, has forecast a week of dire weather, this is probably a very good time for an impromptu trip to the Jungfrau Region (Adrian couldn't forecast the arrival of the 15.39 from Lauterbrunnen). Epic conditions are almost guaranteed Toofy Grin

*emails Chalet Service looking for a bargain* snowHead
snow report
carled, Re Murren. It's well worth it for folk who can ski the Schilthorn and the slopes around Birg - otherwise don't bother. You'll need oxygen, and sherpas can be arranged at the tourist office.
ski holidays
No, unfortunately AdrianV is right. After this brief cold spell into Thur and Fri and then for a good few days it'll be very warm and possibly a little (not overly) a bit damp. Worryingly though, the progged cold spell from mid-week next week onwards seems to be rapidly disappearing into a warm, rather than cold, clear week.
latest report
Cablecar Birg-Schilthorn -> back up Riggli -> repeat many times.... That hill is just a kick, and that little blue runout is pure carving joy....

With enough snow the itinary from Gimmeln to Gimmelwald is open. Unpisted route through the forest. When unlucky can take half an hour to get back to Murren though Sad
Again with enough snow the path Winteregg-Lauterbrunnen is open, so you can ski from 3000 meters down to 800 only interupted by the short Maulerhubel lift
(or do without lifts and take the inferno course and climb some yourself)
(Avoid some more poling by taking the blue/red down to the Muttleren and only then onto the Kanonenrohr)

Yes its worth it. Visit the Touristorama at Schilthorn while you're there... and they serve Vodka-Martini (expensive though ;P) and more Bond inspired things.
snow report
carled, Yes you should spend a day in the Murren area.
ski holidays
telford_mike, I may not be able to predict the arrival time of the 15:39 from Lauterbrunnen, but I know where to find out.....it arrives in Wengen at 15:53. I may not be able to predict the weather in Wengen but I am capable of producing wildly erratic predictions which will evoke a (accurate?) response from someone who can....and I think you all know to whom I'm referring... Very Happy
latest report
carled wrote:
Chris Brookes, meant to ask you... do you think it's worth our while to pop over and visit Murren during our week in Wengen? Just looks like a long way to go with not much extra to offer in the way of slopes... do we get a t-shirt or something to commemorate our visit if we make the effort?
wink

Ronald has done a good job of why you should visit Murren for the day,excellent altitude skiing (2676m) with wide open blue/red runs with fantastic views and three quick chairlifts up there to serve your ski needs. Weather permitting you could ski all the way back down to Lauterbrunnen and then take the train back upto Wengen at the end of the day.

look at the ski map

http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php?uid=52

or me skiing on the wide pistes !!

http://youtube.com/v/XzUDWSu_OsM

ps, visit the Schilthorn but dont have lunch up there just a hot chocolate etc as it aint that great. I would suggest going to the Schilthornhutte (above the Riggi chairlift,2432m) as they do some great homemade food with superb views !!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 16-01-08 20:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ronald wrote:

With enough snow the itinary from Gimmeln to Gimmelwald is open. Unpisted route through the forest. When unlucky can take half an hour to get back to Murren though Sad

thats a decent freeride !!
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:

ps, visit the Schilthorn but dont have lunch up there just a hot chocolate etc as it aint that great. I would suggest going to the Schilthornhutte (above the Riggi chairlift,2432m) as they do some great homemade food with superb views !!

Schilthorn restaurant may not be the cheapest nor the best, but a very patient view the scenery during your lunch is worth a bit as well.
snow report
AdrianV wrote:
telford_mike, I may not be able to predict the arrival time of the 15:39 from Lauterbrunnen, but I know where to find out.....it arrives in Wengen at 15:53. I may not be able to predict the weather in Wengen but I am capable of producing wildly erratic predictions which will evoke a (accurate?) response from someone who can....and I think you all know to whom I'm referring... Very Happy

Aha I like your style snowHead So come-on! 2 weeks until I leave these shores for Wengen again - how's it looking? I'm not too demanding - 50cm of powder would do me fine Very Happy (as long as they piste it nicely anyway wink )
ski holidays
Gazing from afar, it seems that the snow's forecast for midweek didn't happen. Am I right? Can we be lucky enough that the rains forcast for next week also give Wengen a miss?
latest report
Looks like a nice week at the moment:

http://www.meteoschweiz.ch/cgi-bin/plz.cgi?plz=3823
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
Looks like a nice week at the moment:

http://www.meteoschweiz.ch/cgi-bin/plz.cgi?plz=3823

nice and warm Sad
latest report
Skibb, snowed last night, raining in town at the moment. Very Happy
snow report
This thread has gone a bit quiet, so here's my top-tip for things to do in Wengen after the sun has gone down (excluding the doughnuts that is) Very Happy

Drink B52s in the Tanne. Lots of them.
snow report
Quote:

Skibb, snowed last night, raining in town at the moment.

Great to hear. Regular top-up's between now and feb would be appreciated - just to keep the pistes from getting icy.
snow conditions
telford_mike, great photo - bottom right is my caipirinha if I'm not much mistaken! Toofy Grin
latest report
AdrianV wrote:
telford_mike, great photo - bottom right is my caipirinha if I'm not much mistaken! Toofy Grin

Oh yes good spot! Very Happy
snow conditions
telford_mike, I put it to you that you are the one on the left.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
telford_mike, I put it to you that you are the one on the left.

Hmm. Well I didn't have a red-nose (well ok a bit maybe), and I don't have man-boobs, so I guess that makes me......... rumbled Shocked Shocked snowHead

On the bright side, it looks like I'm winning the B52 disposal contest for once Toofy Grin
ski holidays
awesome Laughing Now I know who you are and as far as I know I'm still safe Very Happy
snow report
stab wrote:
awesome Laughing Now I know who you are and as far as I know I'm still safe Very Happy

Safe as houses mate, until I come in next week and beg you to dig my skis up from wherever you bury them while I'm away NehNeh Very Happy
ski holidays
stab, think I'm going to suggest a new weekly activity to the tourist office - The "Find Stab" Game....played every Wednesday evening with a cheese fondue chucked in for good measure...CHF38 a head should do it! Top prizes to include?????
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Safe as houses mate, until I come in next week and beg you to dig my skis up from wherever you bury them while I'm away NehNeh Very Happy

I saw them today, buried safely in spot X.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy