Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Wondering if anyone can help, where do the ski instructors in Val grab lunch. We normally stay in Tignes le lac and after ski school would have lunch from the bakery / cafe by the ESF Ski school. All the instructors go there and it's a great spot for lunch or the supermarket next door. My question, is there an equivalent in Val d'Isere for a quick sandwich / drink / coffee/ beer where the instructors go?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have said anywhere near Tufs lift in the "centre" of VC. But I think a lot of ESF instructors in VC have decamped to new premises in the Club Med Building (near Tichot).

There are plenty of places to choose from in the centre.

Corner Cafe nr Tufs is great (if small). Also worth thinking about CocoRico. Reasonable value in there during the day. Nice pizza by the slice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@vegas007,

There is nowhere where the ski instructors congregate at lunch time in Val d'isere.

Some instructors go to the Sun Bar right next to the Olympique lift.

The popular places for good value are the Marmottes Restaurant in the Bellevarde area or Cascades Restaurant up on the Le Fornet glacier for example a hot chocolate/coffee costs €2.5 from a self service machine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@vegas007, Tartine and Chevallot bakery just at the end of the snow square are also good value.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And the weather for the festive season will be nice!

Luckily the jetstream set back off north earlier than the last forecast suggested and that led to the isobars spreading a bit, so at least something was open today, even if it looked a bit wild. It also means tomorrow should be a much better day on the roads as there won't be any snow in the morning - a big relief to all concerned.

The skies will clear through the night, tonight and by morning there should just be aa few fluffy clouds about, not too cold by day unless you are high where a strong wind will blow closing the higher lifts. Those high altitude winds will die down on Sunday morning making it a much smoother journey in the sleigh, much less chance of presents spilling out! Sunday, Christmas and Boxing Days will see blue skies and sunshine and mild for December by day and not that cold by night. There might be the odd cloud floating around the peaks. Now beyond Tuesday it all gets a bit tricky as the modelss are varying wildly on how far the weather is coming back south. The American system suggest no precipitation till next weekend, the European one thinks it will be snowing by Thursday. So Wednesday will see more clouds than previously and the wind will pick up after the lifts close. This is where the forecast ends as a horoscope might be more accurate!

For those travelling tomorrow, it will be bumpy around the UK as it will be a fairly windy day. It should be OK for flying with the possible exception of Leeds Bradford where the crosswinds may be a bit strong around showers in the morning. There will be a good chance of getting wet Newcastle and Northwards. Around the resorts it should be good for flying at the 4 airports of interest.

Have a good week!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Love this
https://x.com/valdisere/status/1738219302442954830?s=61&t=2VLhzNl27h0N2W4JKimAcQ
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@vegas007, Apologies, I've been focusing on Val Claret, not Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vegas007 wrote:
Wondering if anyone can help, where do the ski instructors in Val grab lunch. We normally stay in Tignes le lac and after ski school would have lunch from the bakery / cafe by the ESF Ski school. All the instructors go there and it's a great spot for lunch or the supermarket next door. My question, is there an equivalent in Val d'Isere for a quick sandwich / drink / coffee/ beer where the instructors go?

The three places I go for lunch if Im not having a sandwich out the backpack at lunchtime are Chevallot, Tartine or Sun Bar occasionally! Depends on my mood and what the weather is doing!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all. Can’t wait , driving down Boxing Day. Conditions seem perfect !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tignes website suggests only c75% of runs. Given its now a peak week and snow conditions are good surprised not close to 100% open.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dan100, some runs/lifts rarely if ever open early season e.g. Leisse (which I'm not sure opened at all last year), Col de Ves. Just depends where the snow and rocks are and how the the glacier has faired.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was blowing a hooley in much of Tignes today from mid-level upwards, so I was actually surprised at much was open and running.

Leisse did open last year but it was borderline owing to staff shortages. It normally opens later in the season as the pisteurs like to wait until the off piste it gives access to has enough snow cover and crevasses are bridged.

Col des Ves rarely opens until January.

But in general I do nonetheless get the feeling that preps are running later than usual this winter and staffing may be a factor.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dan100 wrote:
Tignes website suggests only c75% of runs. Given its now a peak week and snow conditions are good surprised not close to 100% open.

A lot comes down to what was open today (as opposed in general) too! Lots could not open today as they are still cleaning up and making safe after the storm so should be a very different story tomorrow I should think!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As above a few closed lifts but imho pistes generally in great condition Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Col de Ves open, Leisse apparently being prepared but Grande Motte closed.

It’s remarkably quiet really, mostly no queues to speak of and pistes are firm and excellent. Not sure I believe the positive temperature in the forecast for today. It’s chilly.

“Much” excitement from a complete power cut in Val Claret (at least) 8.20-8.50 this morning. Meant I had to go to find a proper boulangerie as the supermarché was not able to accept payments.
ski holidays
@James the Last, amazingly quiet.

Some fabulous piste skiing. New tactic: first lift, ski hard till 2, lunch, ski back and finish.

Didn't see a single person off piste, and it's easy to see why. The wind has destroyed all that I could see
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@James the Last, amazingly quiet.

Some fabulous piste skiing. New tactic: first lift, ski hard till 2, lunch, ski back and finish.

Didn't see a single person off piste, and it's easy to see why. The wind has destroyed all that I could see

yes the wind has unfortunately made it really challenging off piste thats for sure... largely wrecked indeed!
snow report
Stopped for a drink m rest at the side of M round the back of a snow cannon, just getting back to my feet and batted my helmet.

Helmet and goggles never to be seen again Laughing
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Shocked
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, Did you launch them down the hill? Puzzled
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, Did you launch them down the hill? Puzzled

I'd put all my gear in a snow well on the downhill side of a snow cannon. It's a long story why I was sat there having a rest, but a dull one. I picked my helmet and placed it on some flat ground, but as I picked my back pack up and stood up, I slipped and one of my hands shot back and hit the helmet. I dived and missed the start by inches, but it picked up speed and disappeared where off pisters wouldn't go, even if the OP was awesome
Son is working at Eskiador in Val, and I'd hired a helmet from them , plus skis for myself, the boss and another son.

They were very kind to me when it came to buy 2 helmets and some goggles.

The skis we have are super. Really nice people.

The piste skiing and weather has been incredible, and I have skied better than ever.

Those that know me appreciate that joints are goosed, but with better technique the skiing is so much easier. Le Brev trip tomorrow , test out all this new gear Laughing
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
… and I have skied better than ever.
Excellent, even if you’re getting through more helmets than is normal in a ski trip.
snow conditions
Laughing
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Unlucky! Can visualize that happening in slow motion..... NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!......
ski holidays
Lol handy having a son working in a ski ahop wink looking forward to getting out to Tignes next week.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman,
Show your son exactly where it happened. If still around in the summer he may be able to recover them in the slope clean ups, and/or ask others to keep an eye out - they'll stand out amongst the usual ski poles, gloves, phones.
snow report
Leisse was absolutely scrumptious on Monday.

We headed down to 1500 yesterday but bailed at 1800 as the snow was horrid. Anybody been down Sache in the last couple of days and if so what’s it like?
latest report
@James the Last, we went to le Brev yesterday, around 11.30. Yours was a good choice. We skied it, but that was about it.

Busy again today but we got a right full day in.
Best snow was up Pyramides in le Fornet, short runs but superb. Don't tell anyone tho
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, Did you have a last go on the Vallon Gondola? Just seen a picture with the details of its replacement. A new 10 man gondola will be ready for next season - it will take 6 and a half minutes - better than the current 20 or so! (When it doesn’t stop cos someone sneezed!)
snow report
@chocksaway, yep on it today. I have to drive in and reverse out of it Laughing
The Boss lost a ski pole, down a hole in the floor of a cabin 26 years ago. It really is athe most obsolete bit of kit.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Not sure even Bulgaria would want the old one! But the old diesel at the top would probably fit nicely in a Coniston Steamer.

Seasonaires will have to get a move on in the new one wink
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman / @chocksaway - I know you know but hold your breath as the upgrade to the Vallon gondola was supposed to happen this past Summer - in fact there were detailed plans - sure i published them sometime in April on here. Anyway it obviously didnt happen this year but you never know perhaps next! Fingers crossed as it has needed upgrading for about 300000 years!!!!
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, Looks like a massive advertising/info sign went up on the bottom station in the last couple of days so fingers crossed!
snow report
Perhaps the Vallon breakdown today was a sneaky move from the pro upgrade side to emphasise the requirement for a new lift !!??!!??
snow conditions
Hi! Do you know where I can rent and buy Stöckli (or Nordica) skis in Val Claret? I definitely need more skis Very Happy I have a specific interest in Stöckli Stormrider 88 and Nordica Enforcer 88. Thanks!
latest report
They did have a demo gondola and details of the proposed replacement at the bottom of the Solaise a few weeks back.

It seems to have disappeared though and so not sure where it went to. Puzzled
ski holidays
I hadn’t stayed in Val Claret for years. It seems to have acquired some very luxury food shops. Where are these people staying, as most of the apartments here are of the prison-cell format?

We’re off to Le Fornet today, thanks @Frosty the Snowman.

Favourite lifts yesterday Col de Ves and Vanoise on basis that neither had queues at all.
snow report
@James the Last,

Which route did you take down Col de Ves and did it have enough snow to cover the rocks?
snow conditions
@James the Last, Club Med, Nevada Suites, Johan’s or in one of the large apartments, often penthouses, in the 60s brutalist blocks.
snow report
@James the Last, we have what you call one of “prison-cell format” apartments. One of our neighbours has just put theirs (twice the size of ours but not a penthouse) on the market for £500k+. A lot of money around.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy