Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
telford_mike wrote:
Ronald, Here until the 26th, then home until early February.

It's ok skiing with girls, but some have no dress-sense whatsoever...
[/img]

you know beeny and barbara then, hmm.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stab wrote:
D G Orf wrote:
stab, that's actually a fabulous photo, maybe you should sell it to the Wengen tourist board ? Oh and any chance of you sending me a high res copy ? wink

they can have it for a skate park Smile

this is the highest res I have

damn, I forgot I photoshopped the 1st version, I'll re upload it when I get chance, busy boy lately Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forecast for the area

A few flakes of snow are possible late Saturday but not enough to make any difference likewise on the 27th it looks as if there will be some very light snow perhaps a couple of cm and then nothing until the end of the first week in jan at the earliest, temps will stay cool for the coming week but may be a bit warmer the following week
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's been very mild today - was +1 at Birg at lunchtime. Murren was like a ghost-town but the skiing was awesome.

I have a question. Why are the Swissies using marmots to make massage oil? It's just wrong! CHF100 gets you 500mls of the stuff. And how do you get oil out of marmots? Do you press them like olives? Sounds awfully messy.

This advert is on the bar at Piz Gloria:

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike, I've seen that advert too - scary or what? The last time I tried to engage a Frenchman in discussion about marmots in Val D, he replied they are not so good for eating unless you cook them for a long time in lots of red wine.

We get to Wengen on Saturday - might bump into you (hopefully not literally!) snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hahahaha I'm so busy in work it's not normal, payback I guess from all those years of doing nothing.
People are actually using skis and bindings that I have set up Shocked
Had a monster day yesterday, not having a day off for a while charges you up for your day off, ripped mannlichen a new ass hole, the scheidegg side had another storm around 3 yesterday, a lot of hard piste on that side.
Won't be going up for a while now, queues out of the mannlichen bahn doors at 12 o'clock is not my idea of fun to be honest. Testing some new boards on the figeller at lunch is as high up the mountain I'll be for a while. If you see a guy in jeans bouncing around figeller then that's me. Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Happy Christmas to all Jungfrau Ski region Snowwheads snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[scrooge]bah, xmas. be glad when it's all over and I get my mountain back.[/scrooge]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stab, can I borrow it for a few days at the end of Jan... Pretty please. Mrs BrianT asks if she can borrow it too snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll think about it, depending on conditions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As this site seems to have gone a bit quiet recently, 2 questions:

1) Why have they not updated the Tschuggen T-bar to a proper chair lift - is it lack of funding or are political/land ownership problems responsible;

2) if you had half a day to ski from wengen what combination of runs/lifts would you use to maximise your time on the snow as opposed to dangling in mid-air? wink wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Brian,

I guess the Tschuggen T-bar is on the (long, but shrinking) list of things to do - if you look at the updates that have happened over the pat few year they're actully doing pretty well. The runs around Tschuggen are rather good though, so an upgrade would be most welcome.

In half a day, I would:

Get Mannlichen cable-car up - ski to Lager chair.
Up Lager, ski across to top of Tschuggen, then down 'rock garden' (or whatever it's called) back down to Lager.
Up Lager again and down to Gummi.
Up Gummi and down to Arvengarten via Rohr.
Up Honnegg, back to Arven.
Up Arven and to Scheidegg for coffee.
Down Fallboden and up Wixilift.
Down race piste to Mary's, up chair and ski back to village.

Whole lot shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, and all the lifts are pretty quick ones.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On a more serious note, Chilli's is closed Puzzled Something to do with their licence according to a notice on the door. Nobody sems to know when it might re-open.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In peak season avoid Mannlichen chair and Arven chair. This year Arven seems okay cept for lunch and end of day.

Lager-(optional tschuggen)-gummi-honegg-(honegg)-tschuggen-lager is something that can keep you busy for a while. While Tschuggen is a drag, it ain't slow and barely ever has any queues. Runs off honegg are exemplary this year... repeat a few honegg runs and you won't be bored quick

When you hit Honegg and see Arven is reasonably quiet, take Arven, straight on to Lauberhorn... ski back to lauberhorn along some of the options, or Wixi. Wixi and lauberhorn tops are close together, and allow entry to the same slopes.

If you feel like checking out Eigergletcher+salzegg bowl (generally exemplary conditions, but shady&cold) take fallboden instead of wixi.
From eigergletcher you can ski down to Salzegg, Wixi or Arven... When I take the effort of getting there i generally do a couple of runs on the Salzegg lift.

End of day is a standard ritual... work my way to Lauberhorn and do the racetrack down to Innerwengen.
Since Innerwengen runs 30-45 mins longer then the other lifts I tend to maximise my time by hitting the slalom racetrack a bunch of times up and down the Innerwengen chair. When they throw down the backrests its time to rocket back to the village.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rumour section: Replacement of Salzegg and Wixi.
latest report
Ronald, I'd guess that Wixi will just be an upgrade, possibly to a 4 person chair, Salzegg has been in line for replacement for a long time, there have been several accidents on it and the whole length cannot be seen completely from top or bottom of the lift, the rumor was that they were going to extend it down to the base station of the Arven/Honegg which would make for a superb set of options at Arven but it creates a few problems going over the railway line
snow conditions
Thanks for all that; Salzegg probably does need upgrading before Tschuggen- the reason I'd be keen to see Tschuggen upgraded first is that following a leg operation Mrs Brian T can't manage such a long T bar like Tschuggen., which makes Kl.Scheidegg-Männlichen problematical. Selfish, I know, but we haven't been able to do that run for four years.

Anyway, we'll be there in four weeks. Is the run to Grund fully open, does anybody know? and D G Orf, any chance of snow to freshen up the piste. Will you get to Wengen this year? It would be good to see you again! Smile
ski holidays
All alternatives to Grund are open.... Basically everything is open cept Oh God and Gummi Nord. (Although not 100% sure of Blackrock)

Worldcup Slalom opened yesterday, Downhill is open cept for the finish, but i guess tomorrow or day after... They still spare a whole mount of gunned snow down at innerwengen for it...

I say conditions are still excelent. They gunned lotsa piles at Honegg last night... Which was of a fresh natural powder quality... it even mogulled Wink
latest report
Any of the people currently in the area up for a bit of ski/coffee/handshaking ?
snow report
Ronald, was you in a certain sport shop with dutch frank today, or teaching at lunch time?
snow conditions
Nope, haven't been to Central today, the 'problem' i felt along my achiles tendon disappeared today so didn't need Andrea to mend something.
I did drop down Figeler around 1... Picking up a friend who is in Class 1 Wink

Shame your nickname is very unsuitable for shouting around in a sportshop Wink
ski holidays
Ronald wrote:

ditto Shocked Laughing
snow report
Brian T, at the moment it looks like light snow on Sunday then nothing until Thursday but then you may get up to 20cm of powder thursday with more to follow until perhaps saturday or sunday, after which it currently looks like another cold snap.

I may manage to get to Wengen this year, I'd like to but I just don't know Sad
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:

I may manage to get to Wengen this year, I'd like to but I just don't know Sad

I do hope so mate - I'll be there during Macmillan week and again in March for a couple of weeks up to Easter snowHead
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Ronald wrote:

ditto Shocked Laughing

then you should ask jeremy what my name is, or elizabeth b. wink
snow conditions
Any more snow forecasted for the region ??
latest report
all snow is on hold until I get released for the day, expect some around the 8th jan Very Happy
snow report
stab, Your mountain got trashed today... the only thing without queus was Salzegg.

Tomorrow gonna check up on Murren...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ronald, yep, IMO the mountain is finished, xmas day was good bordering on excellent for me but from what I hear from the returning masses at 4 o'clock I'm not missing much up there at the moment.
Did you see the state of figeller today? Laughing
latest report
stab, The morning was very good on piste, Could do my thing, enjoying LOTS seeing the crowds skidding everywhere Twisted Evil , while I could hold my edge fairly easily snowHead.

Dropped down to Wengen just after 1pm, initiated a turn on Figeler, slid halfway down it, pointed straight down and bounced down the rockhard junk... Not my idea of a piste NehNeh

I hope for skischool they get to cannon that thing soon, cus i wouldn't throw my class onto Figeler TBH. I know Stefan of class 1 adults this week only did 1 run before hitting Mannlichen (the little drag behind the GGM)...

If sunday has nice weather i guess i'm gonna hit the Faulhorn (on a sledge indeed)
snow conditions
*Rubs the sleep from his eyes*
*pinches himself*

10 cm down in Lauterbrunnen and still snowing.
ski holidays
Ronald, get out there and enjoy - when it gets light obviously !
latest report
Ronald, any pics of Laterbrunnen this morning in the snow ?.....and Morning !!
snow conditions

webcam of Stechelberg now
snow conditions
Told you it would snow Sunday wink

Looks like you might get a little more snow later today but I'm not certain, light snow also now from Wednesday to Friday but probably not huge amounts, at the moment it looks like a total of another 20cm at the most optimistic, Tuesday looks like being the coldest day this week with temps warmer by next weekend, more light snow seems likely early the following week with temps looking like they will drop again after tuesday the 8th
snow report
Snow-forecast said about 7 cm for today, i'm guessung we got 20-25 cm of fresh at altitude... not enough though to not bottom out with GS race carvers Wink

My friend must have made pics today, i'll link his gallery if he puts it up.
ski holidays
How busy will Wengen (and other European resorts for that matter) be w/c Mon 4th Feb? Will it be half term yet or still fairly quiet? This is only week my boyfriend can get off work during Jan/ Feb / March.
latest report
beanie1, It should be ok I think. The UK school holidays don't start until the following week. A good guide to this is flight prices. For example, easyJet will charge you £59.99 or £69.99 for a flight from Liverpool to Geneva on the 2nd Feb. On the 9th it jumps to around £250!
latest report
Well, I suppose it has got to be done, so here goes with the "Why we didn't get on with Wengen" post.

In the first place we had a disaster on the first day when Bev took a wrong turning off a narrow track (The Rat Run to be precise) and wiped out on a toboggan track. I don't think piste marking is a strength of the area. You are supposed to know your way round, it seems. She twisted her good knee, which is a sort of plus, but missed a couple of days and was never on the pace during the week. (Which is why we were not able to get in touch Ronald, )

The Sunstar is a lovely hotel and the dramatic beauty of the area takes some beating. I think you would find it hard to find a better resort for a mix of skiers and non-skiers.

Conditions were no better than OK last week and the pistes were thinly covered and very icy in places. I know that is the downside to sunny weather, but there really isn't as much snow as has been made out. The only places to ski comfortably were on the top of Mannlichen in the sun. Venturing down towards Grindlewald took you into a strange deserted dark and icy land where you ski along the sides of roads and through a caravan park. Attractive eh? Up top in the sun lift queues were huge. On Friday it was very busy and your few moments of ice sliding were interspersed with half-hour waits at every lift, even the T-bar.

Apart from the lack of piste markings, the place links very badly indeed. The trains are also a pain. Our worst experience was getting on the Wengen to KS train with bunches of tot ski-schools. They all get off at the mid-station taking all tiny skis with them, including Bev's. (Downside to pixie status) We waited some time at the top for them to arrive by the next train. (Actually the one after next). An excellent way of wasting an hour.

A few people we met expressed surprise that we had our own skis. After skiing over rocks, kerbs, roads, gravel and railway lines (entirely on piste, as always) I understand why they were surprised.

All-in-all, I felt this was a resort modelled after the Daily Telegraph: out-of-date, snobbish, backward-looking and traditional (to me a term of abuse). We were pretty disappointed with the place, and much prefer the wide open spaces and endless possibilities of the 3V.

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, good to read a different point of view. I suppose snow cover has never been one of Wengen's strengths.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy