Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
This thread is definitely weird, and if Meteo France think there was no snow in October, they're even dafter than normal. It's also weird to suggest to define "Alpine resorts" as being above the tree-line. Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
It's also weird to suggest to define "Alpine resorts" as being above the tree-line. Puzzled

Not really if you think of alps in the non-proper noun sense being the pastures and peaks above the forest and the common distinction in elevation zones between arboreal and alpine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This thread is absolutely excellent, I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
just to motivate you, somewhere near Serre Chevalier

http://www.belledonne38.com/MST/Video.php?Repert=Saison/03/Xavier&File=Video169.wmv
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the Season did start super early last year - but it also kind of finished that way too (she says, convincing herself all will be well)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's absolutely freezing in Les Gets, I'll tell you that much, don't know where these weather forecasts are getting their temperatures from.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stanton, and all the non believers, there is NO SNOW in Austria, touring today sure was a biatch Twisted Evil

26.11.11. Wagrain Red 8er Middle station
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

What's all the fuss about? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it too late, on page 11 of the thread, just to say: YES? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weather forecast for us is rain/snow arriving next wednesday so should see some white coming down the mountains in Eastern Switzerland and western Austria.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winterhighland, somehow that picture doesn't exactly fill me with a burning jealousy - but fair play to you, and I'm lovin the matching hat'n'pants combo snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It will snow. I love how we all get so excited about it though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, I guess that's either because you don't have as much passion for skiing as winterhighland does or that there isn't a mountain to ski on within 30 minutes of where you live. Each to their own I suppose but I'm jealous & reckon winterhighland had more snowy fun than me today. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Id be well happy to have even the small ammount of snow available to me that Winterhighland, has posted. I here season ticket sales have gone well with the hope of another good season north of the 'boarder'.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was jealous!
ski holidays
The wigglies look quite promising to me. But I'm loving the hysteria the 'late snow' has caused on here. There are probably just as many people out there who are loving the extended mild autumn. Weather does what it does. We have very little control over it.
ski holidays
Wigglies looking decent in Europe and Scotland, hopefully snow at the beginning of December in the Alps and failing that the snow in Winterhighlands photo above will have frozen hard overnight setting up the beginnings of a base and there's more falling today on the Scottish mountains with more forecast over the next week - what's to complain about? Toofy Grin Wink

So wait and see and if there's still no snow in the Alps cancel your trips to the continent and head north Twisted Evil Razz wink

(Please note: I am joking because there is snow in the Alps already, patchy and high though it may be away from the glaciers, and I'd bet my last fiver there will be lots more in the not too distant future. All the same Scotland these last few seasons does seem to doing pretty well all things considered so dinnae diss it Wink snowHead Toofy Grin )
snow report
It's just the reports that are coming out of Whistler that are confusing us all. And by confusing I mean rendering us all horribly horribly suffocatingly jealous.

9 feet before the resort even opened - that is just cruel.
ski holidays
Whistler is off to a decent (but not spectacular) start by their standards - slightly more November snow than last year, nowhere near the records set in 2009. And long may it continue. We're going late this season, so I'm not counting my blessings just yet.

Europe - if I was going in the next two weeks I'd be anxious by now, beyond that it's anyone's guess. I'd never book a pre-Christmas trip to the Alps in advance anyway - last minute is the only way at this time of year.
snow report
Quote:

the snow in Winterhighlands photo above will have frozen hard overnight setting up the beginnings of a base
roga: 'Fraid it's all gone on the current Ptarmigan cam pics.... Sad . Hopefully more imminent - according to current forecasts.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, the cam pics are lower down than the photo but yeah a lot has again gone but there are large wreaths left and, as you say, more imminent Very Happy
snow report
Any snow yet? I notice the 15cm palnned for St Anton on Friday has disappeared Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Currently in Val D' and there is nothing at all on the lower slopes, even the man made patches round the only operational lift is melting. Mid station runs are moderate but the Cats tracks are pulling up a lot of stones and there are a lot of brown patches waiting to tear your bases Sad

The skating rink in the resort is a paddling pool currently

The downhill course is not looking to clever, they have been making snow but it is far from ready for the inspection

Once you get up to the Glacier level the snow is old but in absolutely perfect condition. Currently nothing worthwhile on the forcast and the locals cannot remember less cover on the ground at this time of year. They need a good 2-2 1/2m to set up the runs with anything worthwhile.

The big fear is that the ground is fairly warm and a lot of streams although iced up are still trickeling meaning that what snow does fall may be more prone to avalance and there are some areas where the snow that is in sparse patches has slumped.

Dont know if it is related but the TexMex resturant next to the base station when up in flames the night before last. maybe they could see a poor season Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

They need a good 2-2 1/2m to set up the runs with anything worthwhile.

Laughing DON'T BE SO FECKING RIDICULOUS !
snow report
kevindonkleywood, surely you are getting your metres mixed up with your feet?

p.s. thanks for the report! snowHead
snow report
For those who can read German ORF (Austrian Radio & Television) reports give some details of which resorts are opening now (few) and which have postponed the season start (with some pictures showing the current situation).
ski holidays
Snow and general precipitation forecast for tomorrow onwards seems to have moved back a few days..and more alarmingly temps are going back up.. -1 on the way to work today and 8 on the way back..very sweaty ride home togged up for minus temps
ski holidays
It was b*llocky cold here again today mind you. Thick thick frost and ice on cars this morning. At a mere 490m altitude, or whatever it is.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
It was b*llocky cold here again today mind you. Thick thick frost and ice on cars this morning. At a mere 490m altitude, or whatever it is.

come to Geneva, I was sitting at a pavement cafe in my t shirt this afternoon. Balmy.

Rain to 2000m this weekend. That'll be good for my geraniums.

My mate at Meteo France says "no real snow before Christmas... but don't feckin' post that on Facebook"... she went on "we've been given instructions from "on high" to talk up the snow because the ski resorts have zero bookings".

It will probably dump a meter on Monday given the accuracy of Meteo Chance forecasts.
ski holidays
Quote:

Snow and general precipitation forecast for tomorrow onwards seems to have moved back a few days..and more alarmingly temps are going back up..
Quote:

Rain to 2000m this weekend
Quote:

Meteo France says "no real snow before Christmas
Shocked !%^*ing 'ell, it's almost December! This is now officially a disaster doomsday scenario....says me.

After tonight, I'm packing in looking at any snow reports and weather forecasts....at least for a few days....Confused
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Snow and general precipitation forecast for tomorrow onwards seems to have moved back a few days..and more alarmingly temps are going back up..
Quote:

Rain to 2000m this weekend
Quote:

Meteo France says "no real snow before Christmas
Shocked !%^*ing 'ell, it's almost December! This is now officially a disaster doomsday scenario....says me.

After tonight, I'm packing in looking at any snow reports and weather forecasts....at least for a few days....Confused

............and the over reaction post of the year award goes to you, WELL DONE! snowHead too
ski holidays
beeryletcher, To set a good base on nothing at all you need a good dump or two, Driving a Cat over the top of 2-3ft of snow compacts down to very little and on steeper pitches that will get scraped off pretty quick.

You have to remember that most pistes are not loverly smooth flat terain they are rock strewn hillsides with all manner of 'little excitememts' for the ankles.

If you want a good base to see you through to the end of the season 2m would be a good start.
latest report
The alps had a fairly bad season last season, can they cope with two in succession or will it put many locals out of business? I've always assumed that the wintersports business was an important source of income in some of these alpine areas, will some close never to re-open if the snow fails for 2 years running? I don't know anything about the business side of skiing, but it's most disappointing having just learned for there to be very little to play on.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:

lake annecy thats sea level isn't it? Laughing
snow report
Megamum, good questions - about the local businesses. They can't be feeling cheerful, and the summer season was a bit difficult too in many places - rather wet and cold (unlike the winter, it seems). But a bad start doesn't necessarily mean the whole season will be bad - it's been the other way round in some recent years. An excellent start, then not so good afterwards.

I think the answer to the question posed in this thread might soon be "no". My entry in the fantasy snow thread (6 December IIRC) is beginning to seem a tad optimistic.....

But lots of pistes (the majority, I'd say) in our neck of the French woods ARE pastures, which need very little snow to make them skiable, and there are lots of cannons, if the weather is cold enough. It's still too soon to see what the weather will be like at Christmas - and the majority of resorts don't open fully till the week before. So I don't think it's a doomsday scenario just yet.
snow report
Obviously chose the right winter to have 3 ski holidays in Chrimbo break Laughing
snow report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
beeryletcher, To set a good base on nothing at all you need a good dump or two, Driving a Cat over the top of 2-3ft of snow compacts down to very little and on steeper pitches that will get scraped off pretty quick.

You have to remember that most pistes are not loverly smooth flat terain they are rock strewn hillsides with all manner of 'little excitememts' for the ankles.

If you want a good base to see you through to the end of the season 2m would be a good start.

That's not the same as having them set up though is it, which is what you said...

If they needed 2m to open the runs they really wouldn't be open till January.

In any case I still don't believe it, how long does it usually take for 2m of cumulative snowfall to build up?

Edit: especially since they can easily (and do) shunt snow onto the piste from nearby.
snow report
Pffft... you're all forgetting how little snow you actually need to be able to ski. At the end of last season in Cham I was skiing on 10cm when reaching the GM mid-station and considered that to be a good day. Granted, there was a lot more snow higher up but just saying, you don't need much.
snow conditions
I don't think piste skiers will have any problems this season, the grooming and preparation is just so good these days. Offpiste may be a different matter, we'll see.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder
Quote:
........and the first snowHead to bite in response to my (perhaps misguided and misunderstood) sarcasm award goes to you, WELL DONE!
Very Happy

I was just responding to all the Private Fraser "We're dooooomed" mongers on here!!

Plenty of time yet for snow folks - get a grip!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy