Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

Poster: A snowHead
yes indeed , it takes a lot of evil-minded guts to do something like that... if someone would have woken up, I can imagine they all would beat the hell out of that sicko!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
latest 6 day forecast from snow-forecast for Courcheval looks promising, at 2000 m 20cm snow from Thur onwards. fl dropping from 2250 on Thu to around 1000m in the day, 650/700 at night!

Fingers crossed, 13 sleeps to go!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
that would be really too good to be true! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yep, id take that...although still seems a little too far away to get excited yet...if it says same tommorow night ill be grinning like a chesire cat! Very Happy snowHead

gregh, i presume you are going the week after next, or you like to have a few naps during the day wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
that said, its the meteo.fr ones that i tend to take most notice of, they tend to be stubbornly good (e.g. not optimistic) with their temp predicitons! that said, even they have 1800m on thurs...did someone already say that?!

ah well, looking positive, man im not getting anything done today....man the week before a ski holoday is more stressful than anything, ill need a holiday by next week! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yeh I go on the 17th, trusting in the big April storms to turn up!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
check this out...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavnmgeur.html

Thats for geneva, the things on the bottom graph is precipitation. green = rain, Light blue means 'snow in the mountain country' (google translation!)...dark blue means snow generally everywhere, middle graph is min and max temps...better pack them goggles and check we have snowchains with our hire car! snowHead snowHead snowHead

one model on run tho...but cause for optimism i hope!

in fact the way the models are changing every time, ill have to pack shorts and t-shirts, balaclava, hiking boots, swim shorts, goggles, sun hat, thermals...who knwos whats gonna happen!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That link's to site section. Here's the run:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Genf_ens.png
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, Embarassed

it was the other one that i was trying to get up, the 'bodennahe werte' for geneva, the first thing in the drop down list that one you put up comes from, although it kinds shows the same thing i guess!...cant work out how to put it up tho! oh well, it looked good (snowy) anyway!!

PS you imnspired me to go looking, now ive become a weather obsessive, although im not sure what im looking at half time, not aided by my zero knowledge of german!!!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 4-04-05 13:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
how on earth do I decipher that chart Skanky?? From reading back is the thick red line temperature? What are all the other colours and what's the second smaller plot at the bottom????
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ah, got it...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_Genf_avn.png
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomski01
Quote:
now ive become a weather obsessive

I know the feeling rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Each line is a different run of the model. The main blue line is the operational run that produces the charts, the others are runs with slightly altered input values (to cope with input data inaccuracies and the fact that the system is a chaotic one). The top set of lines are the 850pha (roughly 1500m height) air temperatues and read off the left hand scale and the lower set are precipitation in (liquid) milimetres and read off the right hand scale. The white line is the ensemble mean. The more closely grouped the lines are (esp. around the mean), the better the confidence. If the operational run is inside this banding then more confidence can be assigned to it. If there is a banding and some runs differ greatly from the banding then they "outliers" and low confidence is assigned to them (this can occur for the operational run). You're basically looking at trends and groupings.

The thick, red line is the 30-year mean (I think 1970-2000).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomski01 wrote:
that said, its the meteo.fr ones that i tend to take most notice of, they tend to be stubbornly good (e.g. not optimistic) with their temp predicitons! that said, even they have 1800m on thurs...did someone already say that?!

ah well, looking positive, man im not getting anything done today....man the week before a ski holoday is more stressful than anything, ill need a holiday by next week! wink

where did you see the 1800m on meteo.fr?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet/temps/activite/mont/SKIminiatmos_fr.htm?a=773012&b=Tignes%20(1650-3226m)&c=6.7826&d=45.575

apologies, that was a typo, meant friday...doh! rain on thurs pm then snow friday, like everyone has been saying Embarassed

PS thats tignes, but close enough wink
latest report
that's funny, their predictions for tignes are exactly the same as for valthorens...
snow report
dio5, we had a discussion about this on about page 8/9 on this very thread! snowHead

reckon its based in meribel Cool
snow report
Embarassed sorry...
snow conditions
dio5, don't worry its the same forecast for Chelmsford, UK and Brussels snowHead snowHead Laughing Laughing

(we decided it was the figures on the end of the URL that denoted the long/lat position of the forecast and one forecast was given for all resorts within a certain distance which led those of us without enough work to do to start editing URLs)
ski holidays
so it will be snowing here too??? (as long as I get high enough Laughing )
latest report
dio5, no reason why you should trawl your back through the thread.

Incidentally, the LP that I said may have affected the southern Alps is the one over Sardinia and so tracked way too far south to bring anything even close to the mountains. Not a good start but all the models got it wrong and small LP tracks are difficult to predict....should have given that part less confidence. Also there was a lot less cooler air than originally predicted and as I didn't see a single chart over the weekend, I don't know the cause. My guess is the same reason for the LP tracking further south - that the HP over eastern Europe was larger (in area) and pushed further south, so any cooler air drawn south by it was further east and no returning air was brought back....can't seem to get the archived charts to work though so that is a guess.
latest report
Puzzled
snow report
dio5, sorry, first bit was about you missing the discussion as to why the forecasts were the same for different places and the second paragraph was a more generally aimed discussion about my "forecast" from last week.
snow conditions
yeah I know... but from what I can understand of it with my small atombrain , you seem to say that it won't get as cold as you thought it would be, and with much less snow than predicted, do I get that correct?
ski holidays
dio5, yes, but I'm talking about today only. I've been quite poor at following my forecasts up with how the weather actually was on the day and so I hope to do that each day this week - I hope people don't mind the indulgance. More of a general where and why it went wrong than a I said snow but it rained type of thing.
ski holidays
ok got it ! Cool
ski holidays
tomski01 wrote:
man im not getting anything done today....man the week before a ski holoday is more stressful than anything, ill need a holiday by next week! wink

you say it! I actually don't do anythings else anymore apart from staring at weather-forecasts and this forum! It is really time to go before getting crazy!
snow report
skanky, no worries amigo...you only predicted 'a few flurries' for today if i remember rightly, and i think that all eyes were on your predicitions for Thursday/Friday...which look to be coming to fruition?!! Puzzled snowHead Shocked

PS looks like that little LP over sardinia may be making a comback next week?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomski01, at the moment still looking good for then. Still looking warm Thurs and cooler Fri, but precipitation both days.
latest report
skanky, do you also publish predictions in cretin friendly formats.

Like, "...getting cooler with probable snow by Friday.." type of thing?

snowHead
snow report
marc gledhill, id say his last one was pretty friendly...and i hope you were calling yourself a cretin, i would say you were a very esteemed fellow looking at your contributions to snowheads!! wink

Quote:

Still looking warm Thurs and cooler Fri, but precipitation both days.

although i dont like the 'warm thurs' bit, but do like the 'cooler fri' bit!!
snow conditions
I hate the 'warm thurs' bit!!! Twisted Evil Cool Very Happy
ski holidays
whcih of the following 2 options would you take at this juncture:

1) no change in snow conditions, with a continuation of warm weather into next week with stable weather, sunny blue skies, great visibility, no wind...typical spring (freeze/thaw) conditions etc.

2) change in conditions leading to less settled -but snowy- weather all through next week, generally cloudy, times of poor visibility and windy...more like Jan/feb conditions

both options with number of open runs remaining the same.

Puzzled

Of course there is a (3), which is unsettled and snowy weather fri/sat, followed by a settled, quite sunny, cold and nice week with perfect snow conditions....but thats not an option wink
latest report
tomski01, yes I was refering to myself. I do sort of "glaze over" by the third line or so, and start looking for words I understand, like "snow", "hot", "cold", but I have learned the phrase "Freezing Level" this year and have used it to good effect in gondola's at least twice so far. Looking at the sun and saying "...crikey, 4.13pm already better head back.." had the same sort of effect too.
snow report
I would go for very snowy weather this week , then Fri/Sat still snowing... then the whole next week Sun with temps below 0 degrees but fresh snowfall during the night!!!
yeah that would be really great! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
(but not really realistic)
so If had to choose your options I would like a combination of the two, so we would have at least one or two days fresh snow/powder.... Very Happy
snow conditions
but I really think it would be best for us if we could leave right now, because feeling the real thing is always better than talking about it! wink
snow conditions
dio5, that wasnt an option!!! lol Laughing

i hear ya about being there, this PC screen is making me go a little insane!
ski holidays
snow-forecast now has snow (10cm) in Courchevel at 1300m by Sat night, please be right, and stay cold n snowy all next week as well Very Happy

Whereabout in Leeds are you Tom? I'm in Shadwell.

cheers,

greg
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:
skanky, do you also publish predictions in cretin friendly formats.

Like, "...getting cooler with probable snow by Friday.." type of thing?

snowHead

Can't see why, you obviously understaood my previous postings as that's a reasonable summary. wink

Though it does miss the "getting warmer first, then..." bit Confused
snow report
"i hear ya about being there, this PC screen is making me go a little insane!"

I even made a website a week ago that counts down till the day I leave ( just to show how stressing wiating can be wink )
it's http://www.dio5.tk
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy