Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau

Poster: A snowHead
Carolyn

Are you open to bribes. If the ski instructor scares me again like last year Can I come over to you??

How many creme eggs will it cost me????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you are coming back Very Happy and we all want great snow again, and of course you can come over to me again if, of course I am doing the right standard for you!!! Maybe if I am on the black run speed merchants you will decide not to! Who did you have? And when were you here if the snow wasn't brilliant?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there the last few days of Jan/first week of feb 11. You hadnt had much snow at all. All the slopes were quite icy. I was with the Blue School. I havent got a lot of confidence and they pushed me past my limit. I dont know whether it was the speed I didnt like or the height i couldnt cope with. The instructor just kept on pushing me and the more he pushed the worse I got. He said he couldn't understand what my problem was as he new I was capable of doing the slopes he put me on. I will not let this beat me so I'm coming back.

I am hoping to get some practice on the dry slopes here before we go and hopefully regain some confidence. I really loved it the first time we came and I want to enjoy it again.

Jane
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Jane, well I am so glad you're not giving up because skiing is such amazing fun once you get a little confidence. One of the tricks of the trade is finding the appropriate snow for your class so you come on over to the Reds and we will look after you and that's a promise! Carolyn
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Carolyn, I'm lookng forward to my Niedearu fix again this year, and have started my countdown!! How's the weather looking; has it started to get colder yet?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hiya, gosh yes it won't be long now! At the moment we are having overnight frosts and glorious sunshine during the daytime. It has been like this for a few weeks now, the lift company have been putting the snow canons in place but the cows are still out on the ski pistes during the day! When are you here this time? We did have a day or 2 of snow in October but it didn't last long, although we did have a small gluwein to get us in the mood! Caroyn
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll be arriving in niederau on 27th December, so will be there for new year. I'm starting to get excited now that I've booked....so am glad that there's some snowy weather on the horizon!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We arrive 10th December. Unfortunately Niederau itself doesn't open until the following week, so we'll be heading to Auffach or the Hopfgarten for the first week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not long now..... we are still having heavy frosts at night and cold, sunny days at the moment. Shops full of skis and boots etc now so we are all feeling ready for the season. We have people staying with us who are off to do the Instructors' courses at Scheffau early December - it is good there, Rob, maybe try that til we open? Although not a patch (in my humble) on Niederau! Carolyn
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, how's things looking in Niederau by now......with only 32 days to go, I'm getting anxious!! Please tell me there's snow forecast!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't worry! The cannons have been very busy and it is still very cold. They are saying the snow is coming at the beginning of december. Hope they are right and we have a great season. We had the Ski School pre season party last night and everyone had a lovely catch up and all looking forward to the season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Carolyn,
I am thinking of trying to get to Niederau at the end of January into February. I have only been in the first week of March up to now. Is there usually much difference in the temperature or the amount of daylight 5-6 weeks earlier in the year? I am trying to persuade some friends to join me and they are worried that it might be bitterly cold with limited hours of daylight.
Rhiannon
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello Rhiannon, well the daylight hours are certainly worth considering, at the moment it is getting dark around 5pm and as we are a month ahead of the shortest day I would expect middle Jan to be similar to today. It is light around 7.15 am so plenty daylight. The sun is quite low this time of year and the lower slopes will be the first to lose the actual sunshine but will be light til well after the lifts close. If you ski at the top slopes, you will be bathed in sunshine all the time! Sorry if that was a bit rambly..... As for the cold, well December and early Jan are the coldest for sure but going into Feb should be ok if you are sensibly dressed, and of course the snow is more likely to be plentiful than in early March.... Hope that helps! It is very frosty this morning and beautifully sunny again as it has been for the whole of Autumn. Carolyn
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi carolyn, We're looking at going to Niederau in early January taking 1 year old daughter and mother in law. We're both good skiers and were wondering how easy it is to access the other ski areas on the lift pass and the Ski Welt etc. Have the snow cannons started yet? We're looking at the Harfenwirt or the Sonneshein (please excuse the spelling!) - which one would you recommend - access to slopes, village etc. Sorry for all the questions! Many thanks in advance!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello, very glad that you have chosen Niederau! It is a lovely place and very family friendly. The hotels you mention are both owned by the same family, the Harfenwirt is right on a piste from which you can easily ski to the main village. To walk to the village takes 10 mins or there are regular busses. Sonnschein is maybe 150 metres set back from the Harfenwirt. You can get a Kitzbuehel pass which includes all the Ski Welt resorts up to and including Kitz, a Wildschoenau pass for the 3 resorts in our valley, or a Tirol wide one! There are regular Ski busses to Hopfgarten, where the Ski Welt starts and we have a good local taxi firm, too. There are some fab pistes here, though with evrywhere accessible from the village centre. Have a look at our website for links to the lift company, piste maps etc and hope you have a wonderful time, maybe look me up! Carolyn www.auhof.co.at
ski holidays
Thank you carolyn, it looks very pretty.
latest report
Booked!
snow conditions
Here we go ........ the snow has started today and already the village is white! Opening on 16th so all good Smile
ski holidays
woooohooooo!!!! That's fantastic news. 20 days to go. Can't wait!
snow conditions
Excellent! ...still snowing hard. Had to put the chains on today and my husband is busy clearing the car park while I sit here in the warm! The hangers are all on the lifts and everything looks just as it should! Carolyn
snow conditions
Great news. We're coming on 19th for christmas week, an extended family of 19. So really pleased it will be white and wintry, and of course that we can ski. Was getting worried...
snow conditions
Hope you have a great time Smile should be lots of fun with 19 of you!
snow conditions
carolyn,

Excellent. Do you know if The Harfenwirt is a non-smoking hotel?
ski holidays
It is non smoking in places, there is no longer smoking in the restaurant, but it is still allowed in the bar and outside on the terraces. Nowadays in Austria it is very rare to find smoking in restaurants which is a huge step forward since we came to live here 4 years ago, when smoking was pretty much compulsory! The Ski School office is now non smoking as our Office Manager has given up! Enjoy the Harfenwirt, it is a great place with lots going on and good food, too.
snow conditions
Hi Carolyn
Any news on Niederau snow? Things seem to be going mad further west, but not so sure about the Tyrol
Thanks
Regards, Geoff
snow report
Chucked it down here in Niederau last night, and is snowing even heavier now. Went skiing in Auffach this morning, and it was brilliant. Lots of fresh snow to ski, visibility variable, and we even managed to ski all the way back to the bottom (although the lower half was challenging: 3 or 4" of heavy fresh snow on thin crust over grass).

http://youtube.com/v/sQdS_2qdYz4

oski tells me we are going back out for more shortly.
snow conditions
I'm jealous!
Enjoy! (mutter, mutter, grumble) Happy)
latest report
Well just back from "more" and it's looking good. Did two runs off the Markbachjoch gondola: first one more or less back down underneath, and second the longer way around past the T-bars (both running). Both times we had snow up to and sometimes over our knees - and only saw a few other skiers. It's quite hard work though: heavy and crusty in places. But they should bash it down overnight and we're looking forward to a day of Packed Powder tomorrow.

And it's still snowing...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW,

Excellent. Very Happy
latest report
Hi, It is minus 8.5, sunny and looks good for skiing. The canons are still making snow and am just off to try it out.....
snow report
Fantastic news!!!! I'll be there a week today, and I can't wait to get out of this office, and into the mountains!!!
latest report
We had more snow overnight and the canons and piste bashers working all night. Yesterday was mostly good conditions with the Mittermoose being in my humble opinion fabulous!
snow conditions
The forecast is for snow for the next few days and sunshine next week!
snow conditions
johnboy wrote:
carolyn,

Excellent. Do you know if The Harfenwirt is a non-smoking hotel?

Have stayed there - can't remember if it was non-smoking, but we had a great time and the kids still reminisce about Herbert and his harp and singing!
ski holidays
Hi Yes it is non smoking in the rooms and restaurant, but the bar is smoking, as is the outside terrace. Snow is great and it looks clear today. Carolyn
ski holidays
carolyn, great website and webcam by the way. If I did go to Niederau at some point in the future, how far is it from the other resorts included in the Kitzbuheler Super-pass and is it easilly accessible by bus or would I need Car hire?

I'm keeping options open at the moment for future years and Niederau has some great prices for single rooms. snowHead
snow report
Why thank you! Kitzbuhel is 45 mins by car from here, but there is a great train service from Worgl which is 10 mins from here. The Ski Welt resorts start in Hopfgarten which is reached easily by skibus in 20 mins or so I think. Today it is misty in the village which will soon burn off I think as it is clear and sunny up here and looking over to the Marchbackjoch. Carolyn
snow conditions
Snowing heavily again today, all slopes are fabulous!
snow report
Just booked to come to Niederau in 2 weeks - cracking last minute deal. A few questions for all you Niederau experts/residents;
We are staying at the Hotel Hannes - is this close to the main gondola etc? Have read good reviews about the hotel on trip advisor
Is there a toboggan run? If so where?
Where's the best place to go for cheesy apres?
Is there a skiercross course in the fun park?

Heading out on 14th so if anyone fancies meeting up for a ski/few beers, get in touch. I'll be there with my better half and 3 kids (14, 11 and Cool all of whom have been to and survived the Mooserwirt Very Happy (apart from the wife wink too many hot blokes for her to choose from)
snow conditions
Hello, well the Hannes is almost opposite a drag lift which you can use to get to the gondola, and I have heard nothing but good things about it. There is a toboggan opportunity close by which you can book and I have tried it out for you and it is great fun. It is floodlit and just in the next village. Your hotel will be able to tell you about booking. Apres ski is fun in either Schnappshutte which is at the bottom of the gondola, Bobo's, which is at the bottom of the Stenzer Piste (where you can watch the Ski Show on sunday nights) or Gunther's which is opposite the Rope Tow Slope. All good fun places! Hope you have a great time here in Niederau. Carolyn
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy