Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
Grrr, I'm salivating here... 59 days til I go (I know, I know...restriction on snow fix this year due to impending birth of second child!) .

Sounds like you guys are having a hoot... Malgovert, Droset have always been in poor condition in recent times when I've been back to Les Arcs and are on my list of runs to tick off 'on a good day'...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, cant wait, we're off to 1950 on Saturday, looks like snow till thursday/friday this week, then clearing up, and much warmer till around tuesday 22nd. I am really looking forward to what look like superb conditions.

BTW, taking young family, and wondering if anyone has used the childcare facilities in Arc 1950, our 2 year old was supposed to be looked after by grandmother, but she now can't come, we are thinking about putting him into the nursery??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
neilkav, Just in case you didn't see the other reply

Couple of options. Haven't used either but it is still quiet season so I am sure there are spots available

http://www.lesarcs.com/contact,1062#b

http://www.safehandsfrance.com/les-arcs-1950-child-care.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
neilkav,

i can recommend the cariboo club @ 1950. The building is very smart (new of course) , lots of activities for the kids .. plus they fed ours well at lunchtimes.

http://www.arc1950.com/en/m_club-enfant.php

steve
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been snowing since breakfast. Maybe 10 cm. Wonderful conditions in the trees above 1600. Just about to head back up to Deux Tetes Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Soooo jealous - gotta wait until Sunday afternoon before I grace the slopes, it's been torture looking at all that snowfall and not being there. Looks like it's gonna be hotting up this weekend in to next week with freezing levels above 3000 m - is this likely to ruin the great conditions at the moment

Tick tock tick tock
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jimchoc, you could always stay in the office wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman,

Thanks for the perspective Frosty, all things considered I'll get what I can but all that fresh fluffy stuff is driving my crazy..... snowHead

Can you tell I missed the whole of last season and most of the previous one Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today was a good day Smile

Woke up to heavy snow falling and poor visibility. Plan was to meet with JimW and his friends, although that was delayed slightly due to a minor incident requiring a blood wagon and some fairly spectacular skiing by the pisteurs down the Deux Tetes black. Got to hand it to those guys, even the one doing the Ali G impression. Minus one of our party we then stayed in the trees above 1600 for the most of the morning, making the most of the poor visibility. Found some great snow through the trees around the Mont Blanc chair, and one or two rather deep tree wells one of which was christened Jim's Hole:

The snow continued to fall until about midday (about 20cm I'd guess) then the weather cleared so we headed to find fresh tracks around the Rouelle black. Found lots of good snow to play with, although our one excursion onto the piste was a bit tiring as the man-size bumps were nicely disguised by a fine layer of fresh snow. My knees still hurt. By now the sky was mostly blue and the smiles were wide:

After a quick lunch at the Arpette we headed to the Clocheret chair and found some great fresh tracks as we traversed across towards the snowpark. It was so good we had to do it a second time, making some more fresh tracks. And a third time. And a fourth time. Etc,. Not too sure what the piste conditions are like as we didn't really spend much time on them today, but I suspect superb.

It was a great day all in all. Almost as good as a day skiing GS gates on a hardpack piste Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for posting that great report!

We're off to Les Arcs for the first time at the end of Feb and getting really excited reading this stuff. Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great photos. Going to Les Arcs on Saturday and getting very excited! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mdemon2, welcome to snowHeads.

Awooga, it should be good next week. There's another top up of snow forecast for Friday and things seem generally in good condition across the entire resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you Rob. Is it too soon to guess what the weather will be like late Feb? Is it normally OK? I wish we were there now!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mdemon2, yes, way too soon. Anything more than four or five days can be unreliable. However, at that time of year there is every chance that you'll have lots of great skiing available.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fingers crossed!
snow conditions
Lunchtime, so a quick snow report: conditions are very tasty!

Full report to follow.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
mdemon2, yes, way too soon. Anything more than four or five days can be unreliable. However, at that time of year there is every chance that you'll have lots of great skiing available.

Anything over 4-5 hours can be unreliable.

rob@rar ... is that the grand col lift?

(its like spot the ball:))

Tux
snow conditions
rob@rar, looks rubbish Toofy Grin

I am amazed that folks take the time and trouble to post pictures and stuff when away.
ski holidays
tuxpoo, yes. It's a nice pitch of gentle off-piste between Varet and Grand Col lifts. Some even nicer stuff off to the right of the Grand Col as you look up the hill.

Frosty the Snowman, yup, the usual rubbish in Les Arcs Smile It's easy for me to post from here, so not too much trouble. I like to read reports and see photos from other people, so the least I can do is reciprocate.
latest report
Thanks rob@rar, we're there at Easter and its great to see the pictures - it's got to be true that the better the earlty season is then the better the chance of a great late season - well I think so and don't want anybody to tell me any different snowHead
snow conditions
good stuff! those conditions look perfect! is that JimW parked under the tree in the pics?
snow report
steven0123, Yes Smile I think we all ate a bit of snow and got rather too close to the trees at some point that morning. I skied up a branch during one excursion, stripping some bark off.
snow conditions
from what I have heard, you guys have had the best skiing conditions since JimW has been skiing? I am off with some of his / my colleagues to Courchevel tomorrow, so these pics and reports aren't helping me to keep the excitement inside! Laughing hopefully i'll not be buried underneath trees, but as its only me second week skiing, it will most likely be on the piste anyway.

How are the black runs? i'm guessing with the amount of snow thats fallen, it must be nearly a case of ski anywhere?!
ski holidays
steven0123, he mentioned he had some colleagues off to Courchevel. I should point out that JimW skied like a god all day, and his brief excursion into a tree well was only done for the entertainment of the rest of us Smile Conditions on and off piste are certainly very good, although not as good as it gets. You can ski just about everywhere that is lift-served, including the black pistes which are all open, although I did crunch into a couple of rocks when off-piste.

Which ski school are you using in Courchevel?
ski holidays
I haven't actually booked in for a ski school, I am already competent with parallel skiing, so i was contemplating having some 1 on 1 or small group training just to develop the technique and get some more instruction on the carving.. who knows, might even be off piste mid-week!
snow conditions
steven0123, OK, although I'd strongly recommend a private lesson if you can spare the cash. I've skied a lot and still get as much instruction as I can (just come back from a great lesson with one of the british instructors here in Les Arcs). There are some excellent instructors in Courchevel and if you asked I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations.
snow report
steven0123, Ski Supreme taught me to Snowboard in Courchevel (no mean achievement for an old dog) - very high quality instruction from an American called Kevin, (wearing marigold gloves - you can't have it all). Good outfit with lots of positive comments
latest report
thanks Rob.. wink will be trying to make the most of getting to ski in courchevel, especially with the snow thats there this season!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Nicholas, I presume the good outfit comment is not linked to the comment on wearing marigold gloves... Very Happy
snow conditions
rob@rar, great pics
ski holidays
It was a bit overcast first thing this morning, but that mostly cleared leaving a lovely blue sky. There was some cloud around the Tarentaise, but happily that seemed to skirt Les Arcs until late afternoon when it began to close in a little.

I had a lesson first thing with John Thomas of New Generation in Les Arcs/Vallandry. He's an extremely good teacher, and the lesson was closely focused on a number of issues that I need to address for a course later this season. He challenged me to do better on things that I'm OK at, and patiently worked on some of my weaknesses. I came away from the lesson with a clear idea of what is needed to address those weaknesses and what kind of terrain I need to practice in. I even learned to ski switch, which is a weird feeling in lots of ways! If you're looking for instruction in Les Arcs I can happily recommend John (btw, I have no links with NewGen other than as a satisfied customer).

After the lesson I did a bit of work in bumps (my nemesis) but couldn't resist the lure of the Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col where fresh tracks were waiting to be found.

There's still lots of lift-served untracked snow if you are prepared to traverse a bit. There's about 20cm of powdery snow on a firmer base; real "hero snow". Aspects which get a lot of sun are developing a crisp top, but you don't really notice that when you ski it.

Conditions on piste are excellent, and it's really quiet around the resort. No lift queues and quiet pistes. This is looking down towards Arc 2000 with La Rosiere in the far distance on the other side of the valley. This run is normally busty, but not today so I was able to work on my switch skiing without worrying about other slope users.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-01-08 19:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, At last a picture of a piste wink . Oh how good does that piste condition look Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
latest report
rob@rar, Looks great! Glad you're there for this fantastic moment in time. Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, sorry, I'll try to include a few more of the piste from tomorrow. It's just been one of those weeks so far...
snow conditions
easiski, I am glad, and really enjoying it at the moment. This week started really badly with a terribly sad funeral, but it's getting better day by day Smile
ski holidays
I'm going out on saturday am really excited now seeing the snow conditions. No bringing the rock bashers this time whoopee
latest report
woody911, I'm sure it will be great for you. I think we're due a small top up of fresh tomorrow.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
This run is normally busty, but not today so I was able to work on my switch skiing without worrying about other

awaits pic of a busty run please Smile
ski holidays
Embarassed A freudian slip methinks. I guess I've been out here for too long by myself!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Embarassed A freudian slip methinks. I guess I've been out here for too long by myself!

Can we all get some cheapie tickets and descend on you then? (I wish - think the other 'alf might not agree!!)

I'll second the request for more piste pics - esp those even I might ski! Am starting a week of level 3 New Gen lessons in 32 days & think instructor is Ruth. Level 3? Almost sounds like I am getting somewhere, until you read the descriptor on their website which seemed written for me!

Quote:
Ski Level 3

I can control my speed and turn on green slopes. My skis are in a plough most of the time.

More Info: I have skied a few days (even a week) and understand how to control my speed on a green run and how to move left and right. I will be looking to move into parallel turn in the first few days and end up on blue runs and perhaps a red! In some circumstances I am someone who can parallel but is very nervous and wants to build up my confidence again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy