Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Bonkers warm this morning but also cloud around so pistes nothing like April slush, even down to st Martin.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
Where is this gully and how do you get to it ? or is that top secret business.....

Without giving blow by blow details it is in the Saulire bowl - very easy to spot.

*Caveat: it is not avalanche controlled so all the usual precautions apply*
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
offpisteskiing wrote:
@kitenski

Ha, you beat me to it by 5 minutes... Here's a couple more piccies anyway...

The pure definition of joy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I feel we should rate the resorts by the run down to them - yes it is weather dependent, but so far this holiday
1. Courchevel 1650. Lovely wide blue (and a green) not so choppy like some
2. Courchevel 1850. Easy greens, but the people just fire past and don’t pay attention
3. Les Menuires wide blues/greens a bit choppy in patches today and pretty busy
4. La Tania , yes it’s a steep blue, but lovely through the trees. Slightly icy, but quiet (maybe 3 people on the home run!)
5. Val Thorens. Very choppy and horrible between the buildings but ok outside of that narrow bit
-100. Meribel from every direction. Blue from tougnettes was steep, icy (yesterday) and busy. The Doron was horrendous - narrow and both icy and choppy and so so busy, with kids falling, d**khead speedy idiots taking a straight line down. Seriously for the first time in my ski history I wish I’d downloaded by bubble.

I’m sure others will have their opinions, but it has convinced me never to stay in meribel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lucywuk wrote:
I feel we should rate the resorts by the run down to them - yes it is weather dependent, but so far this holiday
2. Courchevel 1850. Easy greens, but the people just fire past and don’t pay attention
4. La Tania , yes it’s a steep blue, but lovely through the trees. Slightly icy, but quiet (maybe 3 people on the home run!)
5. Val Thorens. Very choppy and horrible between the buildings but ok outside of that narrow bit
-100. Meribel from every direction. Blue from tougnettes was steep, icy (yesterday) and busy. The Doron was horrendous - narrow and both icy and choppy and so so busy, with kids falling, d**khead speedy idiots taking a straight line down. Seriously for the first time in my ski history I wish I’d downloaded by bubble.

I’m sure others will have their opinions, but it has convinced me never to stay in meribel

Kids falling, I thought they were all back at school across Europe?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of little ones out today. Then a ton of teenagers this afternoon. It was a mix of little ones falling being nearly taken out by teenagers. Although tbh plenty of adult tumbled on that run.
I was swiped off the piste by a git wanting to do a pathetic little jump off the piste edge. The run is so busy there’s no space to make safe turns as you are bound to cut someone up
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing ever wrong in downloading by bubble
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lucywuk, useful post thanks. I'm contamplating booking les menuires for easter for a family of 4. The kids ages 11 and 8 are happy going down any reds but not fans of ice.
Think I may wait until the last minute to book
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just booked flights for Easter for a family of 4, kids 4 and 6. I too am thinking Les Menuires, too early to have a clue but worst case scenario not far from VT. I can't imagine The Trout will be much fun this Easter!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lucywuk, interesting I didn’t think Douron was that bad this week, we went down it most days about 4pm ish .

Don’t forget the green option back to la Tania nowadays
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There’s talk of another green down following the track/cross country route i’d imagine in the forest skiers left coming down the blue to La Tania.

I have used that track occasionally when the blue is in bad condition, although once I decided to follow a path through the trees that was really an experience Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are going to VT for Easter for the 3rd year in a row, while not an impressive history given others on this forum, the conditions in 3V have been better than Feb half term. When my kids were the same ages as yours, I researched the resort, slope aspects and runs that will be better at differing times of the day. Now they are the ones accommodating me! There are so many options but Sunny Express is named that for a reason. As we have 2 dogs, we have to secure accommodation early and then fit everything else around them Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lucywuk wrote:

I’m in full agreement particularly with Meribel, horrible in all directions. VT today was so busy we went to Les Menuires. Courcheval 1650 the best conditions this week in the whole area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can never quite fathom why 1650 is overlooked by many ... it has a good variety of runs, a pleasant front neige for a coffee + hot chocolate / people watching and a nice village feel on the main street.

The reds and trees (on the far right of the ski area) off the Chapelets chair and the Jean Pachod / Chanrossa combo are superb and hold their snow very well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super-mild up there today and some pistes definitely starting to feel it… Murettes down to Le Praz is getting towards race piste hardness!
ski holidays
Sorry for my repeated questions about possible destinations and timings from and to VT, but here goes another one. How long will it take to get to Meribel? Firstly Meribel-Mottaret and then potentially further down to the centre?

My wife skied there on a school trip 25+ years ago and would be nice to see if we can get over there and back if time will allow (collecting kids from ski school).
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
Sorry for my repeated questions about possible destinations and timings from and to VT, but here goes another one. How long will it take to get to Meribel? Firstly Meribel-Mottaret and then potentially further down to the centre?

My wife skied there on a school trip 25+ years ago and would be nice to see if we can get over there and back if time will allow (collecting kids from ski school).

There are a few options ... how comfortable are you on red runs (which may be icy in the morning depending on temps / any freeze-thaw cycle etc)?

1 option would be :

Up Plein Sud
Up the 3Vs gondola
Down Lac de la Chambre (you can avoid the steep red pitch at the start by taking the blue variant on your right)
Up Plan des Mains
Ski all the way down to Mottaret - you can avoid the Martre carnage / ice fest by taking the green variant on the left as you approach the village
Then the green Truite all the way down to Meribel

Up Legends
Head left towards Tougnette 2 (follow the snowpark on your left)
Up Tougnette 2
Then make your way to the bottom of the Mont de la Chambre chair
Down the Mon de la Chambre blue
Head left after the restaurant on your right to join the bottom of Pluviometre (otherwise you'll end up in Les Menuires)

To be honest - your morning would be better spent playing on the Boismint and Plan de L'Eau sectors (lovely runs) or heading down to St Martin for a coffee / cake ...
snow report
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

There are a few options ... how comfortable are you on red runs (which may be icy in the morning depending on temps / any freeze-thaw cycle etc)?

1 option would be :

Up Plein Sud
Up the 3Vs gondola
Down Lac de la Chambre (you can avoid the steep red pitch at the start by taking the blue variant on your right)
Up Plan des Mains
Ski all the way down to Mottaret - you can avoid the Martre carnage / ice fest by taking the green variant on the left as you approach the village
Then the green Truite all the way down to Meribel

Up Legends
Head left towards Tougnette 2 (follow the snowpark on your left)
Up Tougnette 2
Then make your way to the bottom of the Mont de la Chambre chair
Down the Mon de la Chambre blue
Head left after the restaurant on your right to join the bottom of Pluviometre (otherwise you'll end up in Les Menuires)

To be honest - your morning would be better spent playing on the Boismint and Plan de L'Eau sectors (lovely runs) or heading down to St Martin for a coffee / cake ...

Thanks for the route plan. I'm comfortable on reds but my wife can lose confidence quickly and absolutely hates icy runs!
ski holidays
@Roscoe, this app is very good for routes, timings etc, someone else recommended it earlier in this thread. https://skiif.com/en/
ski holidays
melbouch wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

I’m in full agreement particularly with Meribel, horrible in all directions. VT today was so busy we went to Les Menuires. Courcheval 1650 the best conditions this week in the whole area.

Interesting as we spent most of the day in VT and found it way better than Les Menuires!!

Agreed courchevel 1650 is always my fave area, but staying in LM means a trek across meribel.
ski holidays
Enjoying these spring skiing conditions glad we came in April this year snowHead
latest report
Arriving in Meribel soon. What is the snow like around there currently? Will I need to head up to VT?
snow report
@Lucywuk, if you cross it at the top end, Mottaret, it's fairly painless.
From Les Men, go Up Roc 1 & Roc 2. come down Mouflon, Sitelle & Matre, then up Pas Du Lac 1 & 2, and you get over to Courchevel pretty quick.
snow report
@Astontech, was fine on Wed, skied down to St Martin at 1030am and was soft, but not April slush!
snow conditions
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
@Lucywuk, if you cross it at the top end, Mottaret, it's fairly painless.
From Les Men, go Up Roc 1 & Roc 2. come down Mouflon, Sitelle & Matre, then up Pas Du Lac 1 & 2, and you get over to Courchevel pretty quick.

Interesting. Didn’t look at that route. But we were avoiding reds (pathetic but was struggling with fitness/health - so needed to stay within my comfort zone)
snow conditions
Anyone got a VT/3V snow update? Heading out on the 3rd and wondering how icy it all is.
ski holidays
Well it was terrible end of last week (first time I have had a sun tan in Jan) and no snow forecast for this week when I last looked. I certainly won't be returning to that over priced hell hole ever again. I recommend you go nowhere near the Bel Air Snack bar or the loo at the top of the Saulire (like something out of train spotting) but to be fair most of the bogs are, well filthy bogs! Can highly un-recommend the now 'Dead' Fox in 1650. Wouldn't recommend anyone that hasn't completed the Streif to go down the Chapelet red. I can however recommend the Stella and the Marlboro
snow report
Had a decent first 2 days here. Sunday we skied from Meribel towards VT - was pretty icey.

Today we focussed on Courchevel where it was actually pretty decent especially on the reds higher up. Will be heading there again tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
samsto wrote:
Anyone got a VT/3V snow update? Heading out on the 3rd and wondering how icy it all is.

Would be interested in this too. Any boots on the ground reports of VT snow conditions??

I'm hoping that the higher altitude has saved it from the warmer temps over the past week or so. Heading out for the half term week on 17th so fingers crossed all is good.
snow conditions
@tc001, I think the loo at the top of Saulire is a eco/water free one, which may explain the aromas, does anyone know for sure?
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@tc001, I think the loo at the top of Saulire is a eco/water free one, which may explain the aromas, does anyone know for sure?

Yes, it's an eco-chemical loo, same as the one at the top of Col de la Chambre. What do people expect at 2,700m? rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Yes, it's a chemical loo, same as the one at the top of Col de la Chambre. What do people expect at 2,700m? rolling eyes

The world's longest soil pipe all the way down to 1850?

Imagine how many skier's turds would be making their way along the length of that at any time.
ski holidays
Just planning out routes for a family trip in march, it looks like because the saulire cable car is broken, from the top of vizelle do you have to walk up the start of creux if you want to get the pas du lac back down into mottaret. Is that correct? So the only other way back from courchevel on lifts would be going down to lanches?
latest report
Glosterwolf wrote:
Just planning out routes for a family trip in march, it looks like because the saulire cable car is broken, from the top of vizelle do you have to walk up the start of creux if you want to get the pas du lac back down into mottaret. Is that correct? So the only other way back from courchevel on lifts would be going down to lanches?

Pretty much, although I'm not sure how feasible that walk up to P-du-L would be for kids. From the top of Lanches I guess you could take the Boulevard and Blanchot and download on Rhodos if you don't want to download on Loze.
snow report
@Je suis un Skieur, that would get them to Meribel centre, not Mottaret though??

@Glosterwolf, are you trying to avoid reds back to Mottaret?
ski holidays
No, we will head down if that is the case, if they don't fancy sking it that is, they might do later on in the trip if conditions are ok.
ski holidays
The blue from Vizelle is a road which puts you on the ridge but it's a steep climb up from there to Pas du Lac top station. You could take Biche (blue) down to Saulire Express mid station and then go back up to Saulire and ski down to Pas du Lac top station from there
latest report
@kitenski, Well if its icy and more than about 20 degrees my wife and 1 of the daughters forget how to ski so im just looking at the piste and thinking ahead.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur, that would get them to Meribel centre, not Mottaret though??

Of course but I'm assuming the OP already knows where Lanches is if he's researching!
snow report
@Glosterwolf, other option is Biche (but seem to remember its a very red blue!) down to Saulire midstation, (nip to the Folie Douche), download to Meribel Centre then up Tougnette 1 and Perdrix green back?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 30-01-24 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy