Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
chocksaway wrote:

It’s all going really rather well!

Now you've gone and jinxed it! Skullie
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any update on good ski hire places please? Is Mountain Story where the Bash went?

And a related query; I’d like to book directly with the shop as I presume that means they keep more of the funds, but it always seems more expensive to do it that way than booking via one of the consolidators for the same shop. It’s nuts - you’d think the shop would match the consolidator price for booking direct as they’d still be better off!! What am I missing - are there discount codes to use directly at any of the shops for example??

As an eg, Mountain Story top band skis, via Snow Rental, £98, via MS direct, £150! Even if you assume the bands don’t match, second band from MS directly is £125.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Call I. To Tignes spirit in Levachet they do good deals, the kit is new and well looked after. Disclaimer son works there but I hired skis for my daughter top of the range new skis. Cheaper than most places. Tignes spirit rentals
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This lady gives a good update of the very wet week just gone.

Top tip - rubber gloves!!

http://youtube.com/v/_NAxYzn454I&ab_channel=FreeFloFloss
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^^ Flossy Cockle - SH's very own from the bashes!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to be in Val Village, Ski days Sunday-Saturday Christmas week. I want to explore Tignes while I'm there. I'm signed up for group lessons part of the day for 3 days. Thinking about extending that to 5 days, but not sure if that would give me enough time to ski over in Tignes. How long does it take to ski between val and Tignes? If I leave first thing in the morning for Tignes from Val, could I be back by 14:00 for my lesson?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stevesie,

Depends how fast you ski and where your lesson starts. I assume your lessons will start on the nursery slopes in the centre and that you don't know the area.

Take two lifts to get you over to Tignes. From the centre of Val take the Olympique (big gondola) or from La Daille take the La Daille gondola. Ski down to and take the Tommeuses chairlift to the top of Toviere. Then you can ski either down to Tignes Val Claret using a blue piste or Tignes Lac using a black piste.

Coming back from Tignes Lac take the Toviere Gondola or from Val Claret the Tufs chairlift to the top of Toviere then ski down the Edelweiss Piste and take the Marmottes chairlift to the top of Bellevarde then ski down the Face (Black) or download on the Olympique Gondola back to the centre of Val d'isere.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New shuttle bus service!

I wasn't quite sure I heard it right on the radio this morning when the host talked about 3 bus lines in Tignes, describing the last one as running between Les Brevieres and Tignes 1800. So I thought I'd double check.

And indeed, there is a new bus service now running between the two lowest villages. It runs every half hour after the Brev. bubble shuts, till 6pm this week and till 11pm from 23rd Dec for the rest of the season. Plus a few morning buses before the bubble opens.

A few subtleties in the schedule so if you plan to use the service check the timetable in the Tignes App or on line.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@welshflyer,

Thanks for the response. I'm a strong skier and ski at a good rate. Lessons probably start at the school's office in Val Village.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone recommend Le Garage for a dinner with kids at 5.30 or is to busy? Looking for a nice , not too posh a restaurant that will allow kids and maybe a dog ? Can anyone have any recommendations, for burgers / pizzas?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pizza Nick in le lavachet take away or brassiere also in le lav next to bus stop
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brassero!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are staying in Val
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, I'd give The Garage a thumbs up. At 5:30 I think you will be ahead of the crowd. It's a very relaxed place which I think the kids will enjoy. I doubt they'd have a problem with the dog but perhaps check with them direct?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@vegas007, wecwere in the garage the other week, very good. Need to book
ski holidays
Oh and you were asking after pizza recommendations @vegas007...

Pizz'n'love is worth a shot. A little off the beaten track at Les Hameaux end of town. If you head through Val towards Le Fornet, it's on the left sandwiched between Sport 2000 and the Spar. Almost opposite the Gendarmerie. If catching the bus either get off at Avanchers or Richards and walk back a few minutes.

The owner can be a little quirky. Be nice to him and he'll be nice to you! Fine selection of Belgian beers.
snow report
Yea Le Garage is EXACTLY where I would recommend for dinner with kids - done it few times before with kids and at that time of the day. My fav place to eat in Val actually! Shame its going next year!

stevesie which ski school is it and ill tell you exactly where your meeting point in Val d'Isere is. But getting to Tignes and back as a strong skier is super easy and quick... even with kids of blue run sort of ability you can get to Tignes and back with a hot choc stop quite easily in 3 hours
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
Yea Le Garage is EXACTLY where I would recommend for dinner with kids - done it few times before with kids and at that time of the day. My fav place to eat in Val actually! Shame its going next year!

stevesie which ski school is it and ill tell you exactly where your meeting point in Val d'Isere is. But getting to Tignes and back as a strong skier is super easy and quick... even with kids of blue run sort of ability you can get to Tignes and back with a hot choc stop quite easily in 3 hours

You get a very interesting experience when you click on your website link.
snow report
@dan100, Oooh, I say!

(In a Frankie Howard voice)
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, seriously, your website link in your signature goes to an adult site
snow report
^^^thanks everyone. Been a while since updated those links. Will change it now. Whoops
ski holidays
I was thinking whether I was going to trust you with my daughter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

and maybe a dog ?

@vegas007, no problem taking a dog into The Garage, we took ours in there in previous years. Also Hibou in the Portillo is dog friendly, as is the Blue Note for drinks.

Pretty sure we've taken our pooch into Roxy Cafe too. It's at the back of the Roxy store and does burgers and stuff.

TonTons in La Daille used to be really dog friendly but they had a refit over the summer and haven't reopened yet and so not sure if that has changed.

If you want a dog walk, a lap around the lac de l'ouillette up on the Solaise is good walk. Otherwise you can take the bus up into the Manchet valley.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Steve Angus, seriously, your website link in your signature goes to an adult site

Damm, I was too late! Anyone got the link! Very Happy
ski holidays
Probably time to move from adult sites to the weather! The jetstream is on the move again, heading south to bring unsettled weather before heading north again late in the weekend. It's still going to be warm for the time of year and its going to be very windy at the end of the week - eek!

You can just see the cloud approaching from the North if you look at the GM webcam, it shouldn't arrive till after dark, it will be grey and cold in the morning, maybe 6 degrees colder with gentle breezes. At height there will probably be some breaks in the afternoon - make the most of it as all hell breaks loose from mid morning on Thursday with really high winds and snow from about midday (if you are a French weather man) or after happy hour (if you are a Swiss weather man). The winds in the villages could reach over 100kph in the evening. Friday looks like a write off with those 3 figure winds and moderate snow all day - still quite warm though. Expect the avalanche risk to build through the day - if there are any lifts open. It may well be just the village drags if this forecast comes off. Perhaps a foot of snow, but in large drifts. Saturday looks windy again and warm with another few centimetres of snow or rain if you are down in Brev, but snow is forecast for Val Centre. So as its Saturday and the first massive transfer day expect chaos and buffoonery in the last few miles, as the roads will be clear to above the rubbish dump on current forecasts so lots of people will chance it without snow tyres or chains. Sunday morning is a long way off meteorologically speaking, but looks OK, more showers in the afternoon probably of rain to 2000m. After that it looks like high pressure for the next 3 days and warm and sunny - turkey on the terrace anyone?
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
^^^thanks everyone. Been a while since updated those links. Will change it now. Whoops

So Steve - what did you use to do before you qualified as an instructor?
ski holidays
Not a big step from gigolo to ski instructor
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, Pretty much the storyline for On the Piste (which I saw at Cast in Donny).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What are the wind limits for Solaise and Olympique? Seems even Thursday afternoon might be iffy
ski holidays
@ajcrski, I don’t know, generally they are not released.
But the Toviere Gondola has a wind limit of 25m per sec or 90kph. But then the top station is enclosed which allows it to operate at higher limits than uncovered ones. AIUI gondolas are most vulnerable to wind as they enter the station.

But it’s all a bit hypothetical as if I stood at the top of the Tov in a 90 kph wind I would finish up in Brev with or without Mary Poppins’ umbrella!
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

So Steve - what did you use to do before you qualified as an instructor?

ive been in this game too long (20 years or so) to remember what I did in my previous life but certainly not 'that'
snow report
ajcrski wrote:
What are the wind limits for Solaise and Olympique? Seems even Thursday afternoon might be iffy

A lot depends on also if its gusts or consistent wind speeds AND crucially the direction its coming from... down the line can be much higher than across the line (tolerance wise). The Olympic lift is generally much more protected than the Solaise!
snow conditions
The Olympique cabins run on 2 cables which make them more stable in cross winds. Olympique is constructed like a number of small cable cars.
snow report
Who would want to be out in a 90km wind
snow conditions
I have been at the top of the Grande Motte in over 100kph winds, needed to collect some gates. We got the funicular up then a piste basher.
latest report
100kph is only 62mph, so only just a windy day in The UK mountains and not really that extreme. A bit unpleasant for skiing nevertheless and rather too much for chairlifts and Gondolas Laughing
snow report
I'm taking a shared shuttle to Val on Saturday from Geneva airport. Shuttle leaves around 5pm. How long can I except before I actually arrive at my hotel? I understand it's normally around 3 hours by car (not to mention drop offs). But of course this isn't a normal time to be traveling. Between this and my plane ride, I am bracing for travelpocalypse (the volcano really sets the tone).

I was even thinking about bringing my own skis with, but seems like it might be simpler/safer to just rent at Snowberry. They look like they have a good collection and stock the exact ski I want to demo. Are they a good choice? Anywhere else to look for just renting skis/poles?
ski holidays
@stevesie,

Saturday is the busiest day for travelling. Your transfer time depends on where else your shared shuttle is dropping off clients. On a drive with no hold ups it's 2.5 hours from Geneva to Val d. This Saturday will probably quite a bit longer, just relax and enjoy the ride. It can't be any worse than when a volcano disrupted flights on Boxing Day 2010. Madeye-Smiley I hope the current volcano doesn't have a similar effect.

Snowberry are very good. There are 2 Snowberry shops, one in the centre between the 2 roundabouts, the other at the Rond Point through the road tunnel where the buses turn around.

For more info about Val d'isere post on and read the "View from.... Val d'isere" thread which is also in the "Snow Conditions" section.
snow conditions
just back from 3 days skiing in Tignes Le Lac......perfect 3 day sun window...so got very lucky.

some observations and reports, which anyone going may find helpful

Stayed in Village Montana(vannier) - booked 2 bed 2 bath via booking.com.....on arrival get told that they don t have any 2bed to bath..only 2 bed 1 bath. accomodation ok and served its purpose but 4* is debatable.

Day one - lunch time in Grizzly' in VC - beef skewer cooked over open fire pit.....pretty good, apres beers in Loop Bar, evening struggled to find anywhere as hadnt pre booked...so had curry in Marmot Arms.....which was actually really good. and 25 euros so good value

Day 2 - lunch in Signal above Le Fornet----pretty good, apres beers in Bivouac in VC, bus back......evening was L'escale blanche...again very good, wide menu choice

Day 3 - lunch in Bollin, initially feared we had made a bad choice after ordering beers, then looking at the menu....but 1 portion of beef ribs and 3 caramelised pork belly later with mash, we were all stuffed and agreed it was fab.....albeit fairly pricey. Apres in Marmot Arms......13.5 euros pitcher.......Evening meal in Nirou Steak...again very good and worthwhile a visit.

as seems to be the norm many places were 10 euros a pint but happy hours, usually 4-6pm can save you a fair bit on this.

first time in Tignes but very good, tons of skiing, quite pricey but captive audience and you make your choice.......
snow report
@stefoy4me, we stayed in the Village Montana just before Easter and just counting up we had five bedrooms and three bathrooms and I think there might have been an extra stand alone loo in the hall somewhere - usual French style with no wash basin. There were ten of us with four grandchildren and it was a nice spacious apartment - we could escape each other. We hadn’t been to Tignes before but it was good fun although a bit too big for me and we have been enjoying this week in Ste Foy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy