Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
All I can say is that it is as bad as it looks on the webcams Sad

But snow forecast all day and night tomorrow snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Turned to snow now at Bellecote.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing at top of Montalbert Gondola 1970m
Raining in village 1350m
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing heavily in the village now snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And snowing hard in Plagne 1800 snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonpim, are you back again!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm sitting in GVA airport waiting for my transfer to La Plagne - first time going there so I'm very excited!

Having spent the last 2 weeks in Chamonix I'm aware of the 'interesting' snow conditions at the moment, but I'm itching to get plenty of skiing in before i have to go home - so any quick recommendations for areas to start with tomorrow?

Based in Belle Plagne, can ski any piste (and offpiste, but not going near that til it settles a little!).

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am see great deals for La Plagne from next weekend - 16/17th.

Is the snow really as poor as the media suggests – poor on piste and unskiable off piste?

I see that Snoworks are doing an off-piste course in La Plagne next week. Given the conditions do you think there is any point in the course?

In would be great to hear from someone who is out there at the moment.

Thanks, Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@campaul, I'm in Les Arcs, but assume conditions are similar across the Vanoise Express in La Plagne. Pistes, especially higher runs, are in good condition with full coverage and the stones/earth of last month almost entirely covered. Off-piste is much improved this week in terms of depth, although still not at seasonal averages. Avalanche risk continues to be very high, especially above 2200m. Below that level the snow is pretty heavy as we have had rain to high levels.

This week's forecast is for decreasing temperatures, high winds and heavy snow (initially at altitude and then to low levels) so the conditions will change significantly, and almost certainly for the better when everything settles.

And welcome to snowHeads Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In La Plagne this week. Visibility changable today along with the snow. From hardpack to ice to spring to slush. Hovering around zero degress. A fair amount of high pistes closed today but it will not be lack of snow. Plenty of snow on piste and some off piste also. There's no reason not to come ref snow conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@campaul, Pretty much what @rob@rar, says, some decent piste skiing higher up today and the higher off-piste levels look a lot better than last week.
I think next week should be pretty good if the forecasts are correct, I think the only problem you may have is too much snow. The avalanche risk was high to very high today and there were lots of warnings to not venture off-piste so that could well be similar early next week..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I arrived in Les Coches yesterday and initially it was raining but that turned to snow later in the day. Light snow again this morning heading up mid morning. But windy on top of Roche de mio but skied down champagny side and there was a bit of broken cloud which improved visability for a while. Heavy looking clouds over belle plagne after lunch produced a little more snow but i think it's warmed up again and raining atm. As previous poster said piste conditions are changeable but nowhere near the worst I've ever skied in 10 years of trips and from tonight (fingers crossed) supposed to get much better.

I'd deffo take advantage of cheap prices as I bet you've paid more for worse skiing before. I usually come at this time of year and it's the quietest I've ever seen a resort. Our plane for the flight out had been downsized and was still only half full.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi All!

I am staying in Peisey Vallandry for one week and then moving over to Les Coches for the second week. Does anyone know if it would be possible to take the Vanoise Express by foot and walk down to Les Coches with luggage (can pack a backpack if necessary)? Any footpath down? I know there's that little restaurant on the corner. I'm guessing staff go to and from that quite often.

There's always walking down the slopes, but I don't want to be that guy just walking along the runs with all my luggage.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What were on piste conditions like today?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you could see, the pistes were ok. But so little open as lifts closed due to high winds. Even Arpette was closed. It has been snowing on and off all day but been heavy snow since about 4pm.
ski holidays
@blueforests, There is a footpath from the Vanoise down to Les Coches, it's 1.2km to the edge of the village:
http://fr.calameo.com/read/000722415580dbca25be2
I've walked it a couple of times. It crosses a few pistes and can get quite icy sometimes. If you have your own skis I'd ski across rather than walk.
snow conditions
@Jerby, thanks. I've been to La Plagne on a couple of day trips but heading out for my first full week there on 23rd so watching this thread keenly to see how conditions are developing.
snow report
Got a cracking deal for this place for a couple weeks time so im off there. Never been before so hopefully its good. Im sort of a intermediate (parallel etc but not too comfortable on reds but can manage them) so going by reviews its decent. And its seems to be snowing atleast Laughing was going to try austria but at the moment the snows not to great (edit: may be wrong zem el see thread photo prooves otherwise). Ill be keeping tabs on this thread now day and night, getting all excited. Plus shopping, my ski gloves have vanished Confused hopefully my bad back clears up in time if not, ill be the drugged up one still skiing badly Toofy Grin
snow report
@hotchy, what date you there? are you in a group?
snow report
It is still dumping down. Not too much wind in the villages but what its like high up who knows. If your out next week you will have loads to play in. A mates in Meribel this week and I just seen a video from him today. He's paddling in puddles on piste. No such problem on piste here.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, no: not out, but wifey is.
And today it seems it was pouring with rain in 1800 when she woke up, so she headed off for Tignes where friends are running a chalet.
Tonnes of snow up there, and Wild with a capital double-you.
Indeed, she may not manage to get back tomorrow.
I go out a week Wednesday - think i might have timed it just perfect snowHead

(sorry to reply 2 days late, but very busy here re-arranging CD collection into alphabetical order . . . rolling eyes )
ski holidays
@Jonpim,
Quote:

very busy here re-arranging CD collection into alphabetical order

Laughing
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Does it start with E.L.O or is it just O.C.D wink
snow report
@Gämsbock Thanks a bunch! yeah, looks like i'll have to cross that wide montchavin run.
latest report
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
@hotchy, what date you there? are you in a group?

Out on the 23rd, just me and the gf. Apparently we ski straight in and out the apartments. Ill need to find out its name, she booked, i never argued! Well excited now, 12 more sleeps! (thats if you count sleeping until 2am to leave for an airport, when i wont get home till 11pm anyway) Hoping to experience my first powder day. All previous skiing has been end of march, in icy mornings and slushy afternoons sweating away.
snow report
blueforests wrote:
Hi All!

I am staying in Peisey Vallandry for one week and then moving over to Les Coches for the second week. Does anyone know if it would be possible to take the Vanoise Express by foot and walk down to Les Coches with luggage (can pack a backpack if necessary)? Any footpath down? I know there's that little restaurant on the corner. I'm guessing staff go to and from that quite often.

There's always walking down the slopes, but I don't want to be that guy just walking along the runs with all my luggage.

I would definitely boot pack to down from the VE to Les Coches. It's just a track. Would be quite cool in fact Very Happy

Disclaimer: Les Coches is my favourite place to stay in Paradiski.
snow report
Looks like a fresh 20cms of snow this morning in Champagny village so should be a good day today.
snow report
I'm heading out on the 16th, staying in Belle Plagne. I have two questions that if anyone could answer would make my decision making a lot easier! Smile

Firstly, do you think it will be worth booking 5 mornings off piste instruction?

Secondly, if the answer to the above is yes, I'm torn between ESF (cheap), Oxygene or the snoworks course mentioned above - anyone got any experience of either off piste?

Only booked it on Friday as snow seemed to be getting better!

Thanks,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MWG_Thomas, assuming the weather clears up a bit, with the lovely load of recent snow, then i would think the Off Piste will be super.
As for who with, i find this very personal, so you just have to gamble.
A group of us for years went with Christoph Roq from Belle Plagne ESF - he's excellent, and has become a good friend.
Back in 2009 i went with a guy from Oxygene from the Plagne Centre office - lots of fun, a completely exhausted us.
No experience of Snoworks
I generally choose intructors by their picture on the website . . . Madeye-Smiley

(gave up with the CDs, and changed to re-arraging logpile into a more artistic pattern Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
Forecast for next week is cloud/sun at the moment so fingers crossed.. I'm going on Sunday so fingers crossed! Never been to La Plagne before but it looks great.

Anyone have any educated guesses as to when more reds/blacks will be opening? Going with a mixed group so overall its better that blues are open but I'd be happy with a few more reds...
latest report
nabus, reds likely to open as soon as the wind dies down and the pisteurs have finished bombing the place.
Blacks are much more dicey. They will open slower.
But you should easily have enough to keep you all very happy next week.
Even Montalbert looking lovely today.
snow report
@nabus, Welcome to snowHeads!
ski holidays
Whoops! How rude of me!
Welcome indeed to nabus.
Where are you staying?
snow conditions
Thanks! We're staying in Plagne 1800, just near the 1800 lift (I think). That's good to hear! I think blacks are probably fairly irrelevant for us this trip, so that's not really a problem
snow conditions
@hotchy, Out on the 23rd, just me and the gf. Apparently we ski straight in and out the apartments. Ill need to find out its name, she booked, i never argued! Well excited now, 12 more sleeps! (thats if you count sleeping until 2am to leave for an airport, when i wont get home till 11pm anyway) Hoping to experience my first powder day. All previous skiing has been end of march, in icy mornings and slushy afternoons sweating away.

I'm out there on the 23rd in a group of 33!! although we are mixed abilities and therefore ski in smaller groups. if you want to hook up for an afternoon or apres session that would be good.
latest report
nabus, so your first time in La Plagne, and staying in 1800.
Excellent choice.

The 1800 chairlift is number 25.

A view of 1800 from just below Aime2000.

and another view from Plagne Centre direction (1800 lift is just off to bottom left)

Enjoy snowHead
latest report
@nabus, hello! My 1800 tips. If you are waiting for slowcoaches at the lift first thing in the morning. Meet at the top. If the sun is out it'll be warmer.

Second tip. La Mine for apres Wink
snow conditions
@nabus, what's the name of your chalet? we're staying Chalet Altesse, which is just by the number 19 on Jonpim's map. We skied La Plagne last Jan and stayed in the same chalet as this year. really handy for the first lift and only 100m from La Mine Bar!!
ski holidays
Thanks! We're in Chalet Hannah, which I think is just across the road from 15 on that map. Getting very excited
snow conditions
@BoredSurfin, From the Montablert webcam right now (14:41) it looks like the Grangette drag has finally opened up - quite a few queuing to give it a try too!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy