Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé and Super Salzburg Pass - Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
The forecast snow has arrived, which is rather annoying as I was due to fly out this morning and enjoy tomorrows fresh snow, a sudden bout of illness screwed that plan up Mad

If you are able to enjoy some fresh snow, please don't tell me about it, though careful as avi risk set to hit 4. ( I guess sudden cooling, new snow, wind & rapid warming) http://lawine-steiermark.at/index.php?frame=home
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At bad gastein town level (1000m) I'm only feeling light rain so far... hopefully further up there's lots of fluffy stuff falling
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was pissing down in Flachau as I left and the temperature was +7C. That was at 17.30 this evening
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Temps have been dropping, have a look on here, below freezing at some where around 1500m, maybe. http://lawine-steiermark.at/index.php?frame=stationen
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ngghhhh, which of the last two posts do I believe? Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica, tomorrows.... wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica, it was snowing madly up on the moonlight tour last night Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avi risk at 4 above tree line, 15 to 25 cms fresh but very strong winds.http://lawine-steiermark.at/index.php?frame=home
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos, I did a few runs on Zauch with DB and the Poodle, it was very wet, and gondola up to the Garden wasn´t working due to strong winds. Viz was also poor but we managed a few decent runs through the trees where you could find a bit of decent but wet fresh. You didn´t really miss much today TBH., and there was no way what fell was more than a few cms, I have no idea where they got the estimated 12cms for Zauchensee this morning, as DB said,it must have been measured by a guy Wink
Have you already booked the flight, you may want to change it for next week, big dump forecast on Sat/Sun, and getting good deal colder, Sunday looks epic
http://www.bergfex.at/katschberg/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kooky, Makes me feel a bit better, been having a nice sunny spring day with the kids so turned to be a pleasant weekend. That forecast does look rather good for next weekend, but the forecast always looks good a week out. I'll keep an eye on forecast and flights, I'll maybe delay so I'm out next weekend, I'd love a blast of winter conditions before submitting to fun sunny slush days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I see the radar still shows precipitation for ski amade, shame the temps are somewhat mild. But shows well how the nordstau / barrier effect can really benefit this area when coming in from the NW.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GFS is agreeing with ZAMG based forecast now for next weekend http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/schladming. Sunday onwards potentially looking snowy. best book me some flights
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just nicely in time for my arrival... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xcweather now forecasting 57cms for Bad Gastein at the weekend and much colder weather.

Mind you last time I checked it was only forecasting 3cms. Settle for half-way in-between.

Popped out today and managed to catch most of the slopes just right. Checked skiline and I'd done over 15,000m. Not bad - thought Id been taking it easy.

Just checked xcweather again and now forecasting 87cms. I'll settle for that.

Now up to 100cms.

And back down to just 4cms !!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
xcweather for BG Swung back to heavy snow but not as cold.

Up to 40cms and now forecasting over 70cms.
snow report
Are the recent forecasted temps correct? It shows today at 19 Dec C in the valley in Flachau?

Dropping over the next 7 days but still 10 Deg C by Sunday. This was on the Bergflex site
ski holidays
Quote:

Are the recent forecasted temps correct?

Pretty much so. It's been unbelievably warm.

Confirmed by the nearest weather station.

http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/wetter/stationen/st-veit-pongau/

Looks like it nearly touched 20c on Tuesday.
snow report
snowheads68, St Viet is south-facing and a pretty well known "Luftkur-Ort" (Alpine air recuperation centre for asthmatics for example). With the hills kind of cupping it on three sides, it is is a really sheltered sun trap. but a ski centre it ain't. Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

St Viet is south-facing and a pretty well known "Luftkur-Ort" (Alpine air recuperation centre for asthmatics for example). With the hills kind of cupping it on three sides, it is is a really sheltered sun trap. but a ski centre it ain't.

It was 19c on my balcony in Bad Gastein on Tuesday as well. Confirmed by the weather station (within a degree or so). These temperatures are no joke - it's seriously warm.
18c on my balcony now - weather station says 16.2c. Still an hour or so to warm up.

Was still able to ski to the valley this morning though. Highers temps seem to effect the snow less than a föhn.

http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/wetter/stationen/badgastein/

The wiggles have taken a decided turn for the better. Shifted back to heavy snow and now cold temps.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_1347_ens.png

xcweather still prediciting over 70cms of snow Sunday and Monday. Surely it can't be very far out now.
ski holidays
That big red temperature line & the temperature wiggles ... anyone know what that data aims to represent ? i.e what time of day, altitude etc ? At no point have I seen the wiggles predict 15-20 degrees which having now spent 2 weeks in Bad Gastein and surrounding areas is pretty much what its been most of the day (at resort level anyway).
ski holidays
The big red line is the mean average of the actual temperatures at 850 hPa over a 30 year period, the grey line is the mean average of 20 or so modelled forecast computations, the green line is the favoured detailed model output called the 'operational' and the blue line is the control run, a kind of 'sense check' back-up. The chart is not for altitude so much as for the expected conditions at the level of a notional layer of air that corresponds with about 85 % of the mass of the atmosphere still being above it. Because air masses pile up as they shift about (as reflected in the sea level surface pressure) and the temperature of local air masses varies across the planet and throughout the seasons, so density varies as well as overall mass, therefore the 850hPa level isn't at a defined altitude but will vary according to both weather synoptics (sea level pressure) and the overall temperature of the local air column. However, in non extreme surface high or low pressure situations, the 850 hPa layer can be thought of as roughly 1,500 meters or just under a mile high (probably mid mountain level in your resort).
snow report
Today we saw 25C on the top of the Paradise chair at Schladming (always high as the sensor is in full sun) but the snow was fantastic, a little soft but the type that you can carve with full commitment. Off piste at 13:00 in the trees the snow had a firm spring like texture, some frozen sections but the type that where the sun hits it you can turn where you like. All in the party were on slalom skis and had great fun.
snow conditions
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle, just arrived back in town, good to hear there's some base left up on the hill ready for sunday's mega-snow event! You have ski plans for tomorrow?
snow report
Quote:

Paradise chair at Schladming

Which one is that Puzzled
snow report
HutToHut, In the Mitterhaus area between Planai and Haus, the 8 man chair, the lift company market tat area as Paradise,
snow report
Ta, know it now.
snow conditions
I've been in Schladming since mid February. Up until about a week ago, the upper pistes were in a very good soft pre-Spring condition. (The lower part had always been corn.) Then it got really warm where even the upper pistes were not freezing at night (which is really how conditions become "Spring"), and it has turned to Spring. It's been dry for almost a month, even though a few storms were supposed to come through, but they never seemed to make it, aside from a little drizzle. Under the circumstances, the lower pistes had been holding up well, but they are starting to get into marginal at spots over the last few days.

It was a little cooler on Thursday, and the the pistes weren't sticky, like they had been a few days prior. I'm going again on Saturday, and hoping that the Hauser Kaibling lower piste (i.e., to the main gondola station) continues to hold up (it was pretty good, although sticky on Tuesday.) The whole area desperately needs some fresh snow and cooler temperatures, which it looks like will finally be coming.
latest report
Skied some lovely spring snow at Zauch today in the trees. Piste nice too. Roll on Sunday, looking very very tasty. Looking out the window at Schladming the golden jet piste is now closed, though could re-open if the forecast is right, it's all on grass meadows so would take much snow but I guess the ground is very warm now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, let us know where you are skiing for Sundays powfest wink and we will hook up. Ben said "there is more chance of him finding the Malaysian plane than 5 cms of fresh on Zauch on Sunday"………..oh Ye of little faith Laughing
ski holidays
kooky, him of little faith, it's only March, Will let you know of plans.
snow conditions
waynos, If you guys are gonna have a storm this weekend, that's all well and good, please enjoy.............but please will you forecast one for the Sat 5th ? wink
snow report
waynos, indeed! This is gonna be epic Madeye-Smiley
Timberwolf, we will all do a powder dance on the top of Zauch for you, I promise!
ski holidays
Thunder and lighting have started over here - is it snowing there yet?
snow conditions
musher, no, and it´s still 16 degrees here in Altenmarkt Mad
latest report
kooky, just posted over in the weather thread, 17 in Schladders according to my van (it's clever and just spoke to me)

Had a great spring slush fest with the Hinsby boys, the smaller ones certainly shift now - though we did partly break the smallest one, luckily his ski helmet did it's job.
Will probably head out with the the Hinsby mob again tomorrow, not set a location but I suspect Zauch, as long as all the locals with fat skis don't go there too. What plans you?
snow report
waynos, Yep, those lads are quick! That will be your two in a few years!
Scarpa and David@mediacopy and me will head up to Zauch then

Quote:

as long as all the locals with fat skis don't go there too. What plans you?

Twisted Evil
ski holidays
kooky, I've got 3 of them now! Yes I do seem to have mentioned to quite a few locals to go to Z tomorrow, probably flangesax mob too, though just spoke with Mrs flangesax and she's another non-believer.
latest report
waynos, I know, but Nelly is ages away from skiing! (well, at least a couple of years wink )
Right then, Ima get out on that balcony and start the Snow Dance………see you tomorrow
Very Happy
latest report
Dance like no-one's watching kooky
snow conditions
xcweather just upgraded it's forecast and now expects 72cm for Bad Gastein.

Unbelievable if it happens as it's felt like the middle of June for the past couple of weeks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy