Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

that bloody snow animation on this site...

brian
brian
Elizabeth B, in terms of layout, yeah, in terms of actual content I think he's remarkably laissez faire. Snowheads pretty much goes wherever people can be bothered posting. Most boards out there are far more regulated and directed. The only things he's thrown his metaphorical weight around about have been the DG and PG debacles, both of which seem to have had next to nothing to do with what's actually posted on the board and a lot to do with what went on off it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B, O f course this is admin's train set - and it is a pretty good one, generally, but I think brian's comment was fair. FWIW, I had not idea who the Chief Smiley Maker was until your post - and I am not sure that it should be an issue for forum users - though I do appreciate that SH has a rather unique extended family atmosphere.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't understand how age has any bearing on this thread. Surely it would be a far greater achievement for the elders to have created such animations, rather than someone born to the earth already dependant on computers. Perhaps this is a 'Backdoor' Suck up to Admin,
"Grahame, Gregory is such a talented boy, he could only have come from your loins, this is sure." rolling eyes Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian wrote:
Elizabeth B, in terms of layout, yeah, in terms of actual content I think he's remarkably laissez faire.

Surely that is a good thing? And if so, why not allow him the indulgence of a bit of fun with the logo? Go on, have a play wirth it. Move santa's beard and hat to another letter. Blow up the flying sleigh. It's a bit of fun.

Do you really want snowHeads to become a place where everyone is so fixated on skiing that we forget to smile occasionally? Many websites introduce snowflakes in winter......and I bet they'd like to have a flying sleigh too snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, age has a bearing, because kids are more likely to get upset when their work (which is good) is being slated in public. That's the only reason.......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, Ok, but i don't agree that the work is good because the chap responsable is 12 years of age. It's either good or it isn't. I quite like my screen throwing Snowballs at me and would like an 'adult' version of the 'Shoot Santa' game. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B wrote:
[Surely that is a good thing? And if so, why not allow him the indulgence of a bit of fun with the logo? Go on, have a play wirth it. Move santa's beard and hat to another letter. Blow up the flying sleigh. It's a bit of fun.

I've no problems with the logo, but it's either a big coincidence or it's knackered many other things like fonts, look and feel, and also the text entry goes mad every now and again.....

Also most sites do this kind of thing as a "skin" that you can turn on/off.

regards,

greg

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 7-12-07 12:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, I'm told that it is a big coincidence and the problems are nothing to do with the logo. In fact, some of the problems were here before the logo.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:
kitenski, I'm told that it is a big coincidence and the problems are nothing to do with the logo. In fact, some of the problems were here before the logo.

Wow! Cheers for the update Smile
latest report
 brian
brian
Elizabeth B, of course it's a good thing ... and of course he can do whatever he likes. He could delete all the moany posts, ban the users etc. all entirely his prerogative.

As I said above, I'd be quite happy with that kind of indulgence for a couple of days around xmas but not for what will probably be a month or more. Imo (which I concede is worthless and eminently ignorable), the longer you string out xmas things, the less exciting and memorable they become.

snowHead s is different things to different people, and part of its magic is the diversity of its different boards. Plastering an indulgence all over the top of every page for weeks in an un-ignorable fashion is taking it a bit far (again in my WAEII). Particularly when it breaks functionality (obviously all fixed now).

Anyway, since xjenkins has come up with the solution it's all a bit moot, no ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's "the solution"??? (obviously missed something...)
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, install the adblock plus add-on for firefox and then block the file

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/swfobject.js
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian wrote:
Elizabeth B, of course it's a good thing ... and of course he can do whatever he likes. He could delete all the moany posts, ban the users etc. all entirely his prerogative.

As I said above, I'd be quite happy with that kind of indulgence for a couple of days around xmas but not for what will probably be a month or more. Imo (which I concede is worthless and eminently ignorable), the longer you string out xmas things, the less exciting and memorable they become.

snowHead s is different things to different people, and part of its magic is the diversity of its different boards. Plastering an indulgence all over the top of every page for weeks in an un-ignorable fashion is taking it a bit far (again in my WAEII). Particularly when it breaks functionality (obviously all fixed now).

Anyway, since xjenkins has come up with the solution it's all a bit moot, no ?

A miserable Scotsman. That is a turnup for the books.

The SH animation looks fine. It is a lighthearted bit of fun. It is no big deal. Keep 'em coming.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
......It is a lighthearted bit of fun. It is no big deal. Keep 'em coming.

But perhaps keep the same url so that we don't have to keep changing the adblock plus filter. Should please evrybody, then.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the snowflakes and moveable santa hat/beard and reindeer targets are brilliant

Cheered me up no end !
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Whitegold, is there any need to play the race card? rolling eyes Little Angel
latest report
If it comes to a vote and it probably won't I'm a fence sitter. I quite like most of the variations on a theme, but do agree that they can outlive their useful life a fair bit before they are removed. A short lived snappy display leaves you eagerly awaiting the next one rather than thinking I wish they'd take it down.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Leave it out you 'Dirty Northern Monkey." wink
snow report
brian wrote:
Elizabeth B, in terms of layout, yeah, in terms of actual content I think he's remarkably laissez faire. Snowheads pretty much goes wherever people can be bothered posting. Most boards out there are far more regulated and directed. The only things he's thrown his metaphorical weight around about have been the DG and PG debacles, both of which seem to have had next to nothing to do with what's actually posted on the board and a lot to do with what went on off it.
brian your observation is rather misleading IMO. Although there were indeed off-site issues between myself and each of the people you refer to, the 'throwing around of weight' was purely in response to behaviour on the forum or directly related to the forum's operation.

With regard to the degree to which snowHeads is regulated and directed: I, with the support of the Piste Patrol and the help and advice of many other members of the community, set a standard of behaviour that is expected and encouraged at snowHeads. In that sense it is directed and because that has worked fairly well over the past 3.5 years, we have avoided the need for it to become highly regulated.
My attitude may well appear laissez faire and, on the whole, I much prefer to trust the community to work out its issues for itself. But the absence of an iron fist of authority does not mean that snowHeads is unmanaged and if you need evidence of that, compare the nature of it to the ski topics on usenet.

With regard to the logo: Yes it is the work of my spawn and yes he's 12 and although I accept that I am inherently biased, I think it stands as a good fun piece of interactive web design independent of the age of the designer and that is the basis upon which I use it. After all, there will be many many more thousands more people who see it, who have no concept of who it was created by than those who do know. Fortunately the CSM is much better at graphics than he is at reading and, when he came home from school wanting to know what feedback there had been on his work, I was able to give him a slightly abridged version. However, FYI his response was, that he wanted to post "Don't they know this is the day they're supposed to worship me, not whinge at me". Messianic delusion aside, he's got a point: at times in the last few days this place has looked more like "snowGrinches".
Personally I'm into skiing, and indeed snowHeads, for the fun (remember that folks?) and let's face it, no matter how seriously you convince yourself to take it, skiing is essentially 'going up to go down... over and over again' just like we did on the slide as kiddies in playgrounds only moreso. Frankly, once snowHeads is too up itself to have a Christmas logo, I'm afraid I'll be out of here and you can all go and pay £50/year to talk seriously on the SCGB board or take your chances in the post-apocalyptic territory of usenet.

With regard to changes in site appearance: Yes, at one point the alternate grey posts were a subtle shade of pink which was initially the result of some experimenting but which I thought I'd leave as it amused me thinking back to when I turned the SCGB site Pink and it seemed sort of funny/fun in a Christmassy kind of way. Obviously I was wrong and it isn't Christmas rolling eyes
For reference: my choice of Pink as the colour to turn the 'snow' on the SCGB site was not, as some would have it, a Freudian insight into my sexuality but simply one into the bedtime reading matter I was sharing with The Chief Smilie Maker.

Despite the ongoing complaints, there has been no change in font, nor colour, just a very slight brightening, so the contrast is reduced slightly. To get a perspective on the difference before and after this calamity, look here
There is also now a very thin white line between posts which used to be a very thin grey line. However, as this only appears under IE, if you really really can't live with it, get FF or Opera.

I apologise for the disruption to the functionality of some links when I first put the logo up. A small oversight on my part with regard to 'dreaded browser incompatibility issues'. It woud have been fixed quicker but for more serious issues coming to a head that day. That should mostly be sorted now; at least for all major PC configurations. I'm afraid I don't have a Mac to test there NehNeh Aparently there's a Linux based config that's not working out well though Confused
Although the implementation of the new logo had a small bearing on the timing of the outage a couple of days ago, it was not the primary cause of it. The underlying problem had already been noticed and was under investigation. The server configuration has since been altered slightly to prevent a re-occurrence of the overload while we work out a proper solution. Unfortunately this has reduced the general performance of the site slightly.
snow report
cheers Admin.

Maybe it's my system but the fonts look massively different to me and honestly really hard on the eyes, here's a screenshot of what I see from your "look here" link:

snow conditions
kitenski, yes that is what I see. For those of us half blind - it was easier to read before.
latest report
OK kitenski, that's a much bigger difference than I see here.
What's your browser/OS?
ski holidays
XP office

IE7
snow conditions
Thank gawd it's not just me Smile and I wasn't whinging about nowt Wink

IE7 / Vista looks bad

Mac with Safari looks fine....

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 brian
brian
admin, the appearance of laissez faire was intended as a compliment ! As for the CSM and his logo, he should take it as a compliment that people will criticise his stuff. I didn't realise he was anything like as young as 12 (you must've had kids really late wink ) and probably would've bitten my tongue if I'd known. He's learned a valuable lesson about pleasing, people and time.

btw, I would hang out on usenet more, but MI5 are persecuting me.
ski holidays
admin, If your 12 year has sorted out that Chrissy logo I think he should mighty pleased with his efforts. Tell him my 7 & 5 yr old think its wonderful and that he has a bit of hero worship - that should brighten him up.

As for the rest of the scrooges on here - I'm surprised at the overall reaction. IMHO Christmas = fun = snow. If anyone changes things I think they should make the snowflakes twice the size and in multiple colours wink

Seriously though I do think its just nicely subtle the way the snowflakes in particular fade in and out as they fall - neat - I like the whole thing, and think its huge fun that you can play with it too. Good on you CSM Very Happy snowHead Cool

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 7-12-07 14:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin wrote:
....... Frankly, once snowHeads is too up itself to have a Christmas logo, I'm afraid I'll be out of here and you can all go and pay £50/year to talk seriously on the SCGB board or take your chances in the post-apocalyptic territory of usenet.

Hmm. Well I do fork out my £50 for SCGB membership - on top of the contribution I make to snowheads. Their forum software is clunky but pages load fast and it is reliable. If you are off out of here (your right) someone else will pop up a site in its place. No one was beefing about there being a Christmas logo, but I do wonder why it has to be up so long in advance of Christmas - and, forecasting by the Halloween thing, so long after it. I also found the juggling balls on the top of Santa's head unpleasant (and from what I have read on web design, though I think you'd be unlucky, the guy who wrote about triggering epilepsy has a point). Adblock Plus has solved that.

Quote:
Obviously I was wrong and it isn't Christmas rolling eyes

No, it's not. It's Advent - and early in Advent, too.

All that said, I have some sympathy for you - you started up this site voluntarily. I am sure you feel it should be yours to play with. Trouble is, it's almost become an institution like Radio 4, try to change it and there's consternation.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 7-12-07 14:47; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
I like it. Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Achilles wrote:
If you are off out of here (your right) someone else will pop up a site in its place.
Don't start downloading your opensource forum s/w yet, I'm not going anywhere but I do insist u start having fun... or else NehNeh
ski holidays
admin, oh all right. Anyway, I am not sufficiently insane to start a snow forum myself, I'd wait for some other nutter. Madeye-Smiley

Can't wait to be out on the snow again.
snow report
admin, I'm having fun, honest Happy

PS I think your boy done a grand job, good for him.
snow report
Jings... this turned into a bit of a mammoth thread about nothing!!! All i was saying was that my browser went absolutely haywire when i had the snow falling animation turned on. Now it's off, it's all working fine. If it's switched on, i can't use the site at all - does that make me a scrooge for making folk aware of that Puzzled

I think folk have over-reacted a bit to a couple of us commenting on the poor useability of the site which came about from the introduction of the snow animation. no offence intended and it's very good work for a 12 year old! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

so long after it

I'd say it's because Admin also got a life outside Snowheads and no contractual date as to when the site needs to be updated....

Quote:

I also found the juggling balls on the top of Santa's head unpleasant

Well, even with my window maximised, the logo disappears as soon as I scroll down to read a post/article..Surely, you can live with it for a couple seconds every now and then...

Apart from the issue of the font being difficult to read for some, it's a whole lot of grumpiness to me.... rolling eyes
snow report
 brian
brian
tbh, I thought the people being grumpy about the people being grumpy were grumpier than the original grumpiness, which was quite light hearted and banterous, if a little grumpy, no ?
ski holidays
brian,

Very Happy
ski holidays
johnnyh wrote:
Quote:

get rid of it it does nothing and is a waste processing power...

True, it does nothing.

But really, if your machine is so slow that that animation makes a difference to your browsing it may be time to get an new computer.

It isn't (mainly) the computer, it is also the fact that it seems to re-download each time you open a new page.

I was finding it a real pain, even at home, where I have a 1.5Mb connection, and a Core2 Duo processer with 2Gb of RAM.

I've switched to SubBlack until it has gone away.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
XP office

IE7
I've been looking at this and so far it appears that there is only a big difference on IE7 and as yet I don't know why that is.

Has anyone noticed a change as dramatic as kitenski's screen grab under another browser?
snow report
admin, Only as advised with Safari on OSX 10.3.9; however, as you say, you cant check Mac. It hangs for a second in every three because of something, 'may' be Santa. Everything else explainable if in subscript-black as per comments noted above.

No problem ..Elizabeth B has volunteered to fetch my coat wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 7-12-07 16:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
admin, I'm getting exactly the same font showing in IE (presume 7....it's the one that's fairly recent and has the tabs) and in Firefox.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Approx 60,000 children have died through poverty since the this thread was started.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy