Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave 2008 (with mini-TR and photo link at end)

Poster: A snowHead
Glad this is out in the open - we sort of virtually vetted ourselves last year and it worked remarkably well (apart from that Scottish git who left us for dust wink ) Having found something that worked I'm a bit reluctant to tamper with it too much and I fully expect that next year will be totally different e.g. if we're looking at boilerplate everywhere I've certainly little interest in putting myself in possible slide for life places.

I'd suggest anyone interested starts a second thread then sees if there's appetitite maybe? Also we don't confirm date until we've bagged the cheaper flights wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As an observer, and as someone who knows this is not for them,I would respectfully suggest that it does not take much intelleigence or interpretation to know what level of skiing is required for this trip. Unless you are an experienced and VERY capable off-piste, all conditions skier, that can ski that stuff ALL day long, then do not apply. Simple as. (oh and add in sociable Very Happy )

For me this implies no clique whatsoever, it is simply what is required for all participants to have an enjoyable and safe as is possible trip. Never in a million years would I contemplate it, but I have thouroughly enjoyed reading about it. It would be a nice string to the SnowHead bow to make it official, but I honestly think it would be irrelevant as to the functionality of the trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
As an observer, and as someone who knows this is not for them,I would respectfully suggest that it does not take much intelleigence or interpretation to know what level of skiing is required for this trip. Unless you are an experienced and VERY capable off-piste, all conditions skier, that can ski that stuff ALL day long, then do not apply.

Unfortunately not everyone is as sensible as that when it comes to rating their own abilities.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Yes, and I told more than one person that they were not up to it when they mentioned joining you. Shocked Your pix and blog bear out my decision though. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to add to this, I'd be up for coming and bringing a friend...he insists he's below my level but I think he just has more sense.

However I've lost count of when this is supposed to happen...can anyone help with a link or dates?

(friend of mine was saying today that long-term forecasts are for a cold and precipitation-heavy winter...!)
ski holidays
 brian
brian
horizon, it's all on the preceding page of this thread.

btw, have you changed name, sig looks familiar ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Confusing isn't it brian!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon is the artist formerly known as Cedric I believe (sorry for outing you will delete later). Think you'd be ok , and would probably shame us judging by your TRs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guys tell me to but out if I am not in the right place. As another outsider I also dont think you can treat it as a bash. This trip requires more skills than most of us have and you will get folk overestimating themselves. If it goes to offical status and someone has an accident then snowheads and any member organising could be held liable. I am not 100% on this but the "duty of care" to participants may apply to an offical event.

Read last years thread and it sounded fantastic, maybe one year ill be fit enough/have the skills to do something similar.

Have a great trip but do not feel you are being elitiste in any way in vetting all participants
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
fatbob, Yes, and I told more than one person that they were not up to it when they mentioned joining you. Shocked Your pix and blog bear out my decision though. Madeye-Smiley

I plead guilty Madeye-Smiley

I am, howwever, trying to build up a group for a steepish off-piste intinerary based at LDA for end of January/beginning of February - for standard, think Phillipe at the EOSB.

The idea would is something like:
A days free skiing, a day with 4 hours (or 4+) with easiski. The idea would be not so much a formal lesson, more taking tips from her as we whizzed around interesting stuff (hopefully some in La Grave)
3 days with a guide. Exactly where would depend on conditions - but LDA offers it's own area, plus La Grave, and Alpe D'Huez - so there should be something good each day with any luck.

So, not as daunting as the out-and-out hard-core La Grave lot, but still challenging - and with a La Grave element.

I am reasonably hopeful of getting a group of 6 or so together - but, as I heard William Hague say today, it is a bit like trying to nail jelly on a wall. If anybody fancies coming on something like that, let me know. As soon as I have got a firm group together, I would like to book easiski and the guide.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also agree you should not make this official, there is more to it than skiing skills, you need a certain sense of responsibility so as not to hit powder frenzy and ski above fellow skiers in the wrong places etc. you also have to accept worst case of the hill being closed, with no pistes etc to fall back on.

...but I'd never met JT beforehand and somehow I knew I'd be ok and enjoy skiing with him in Engelberg, can't quite put my finger on why though??? Maybe those that do ski well don't brag about it and post odd great pics which means you know they've put some effort in to get somewhere and can ski????

I'd say Achilles idea of basing something official in LDA would be the way to go....

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wish I'd kept my mouth shut earlier, its sounds like something we are not....
and some of the guys on here could easily do the skiing part, I'd think.

I really like achilles' idea..can you make that the same dates in Mar and we'll meet you there...??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, main problem with March is it could clash with the MSB (which I really enjoyed last year). Also, I am not sure easiski would be free then. And I would have to rerun the dates past others. Summer holidays are affecting communication already, I think. One chap who I am pretty sure will be coming hasn't answered an email. Someone else hasn't picked up a PM .... so life is a little messy. It could be easier to nail this one down as an Event. I have sent PMs to admin and easiski to see what they think.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles,

I think we are aiming at the wed 5th to the sunday 9th... with a day plus or minus either way. We aren't sure yet and it will need a few more things to firm this up. Its only June and no massive hurry although this might change when the flights are released.
We just have a broad recognition that we will be there at that time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, Could be OK. I think the thing is to get a consensus on dates on an Events thread, wheher or not it becomes a snowheads bash. But I don't want to tread on easkski's or admin's toes on this one - so I'll hold on that until they have let me know what they think.
snow conditions
I have flights from Chambery via Southampton for thurs 6th - Tues 11th. No Weds or Mons. Not so very cheap so the train is an alternative...for convenience.
snow conditions
achilles, So long as it's not during the school hols it's fine by me. I have some easter bookings in my diary, and some feb half term, but otherwise it's a bit early yet for me to have a problem with bookings. First come first served is the way I do it. Very Happy
ski holidays
JT, 's

Quote:

I think G and BC did a fair bit of late night carousing....and Robin might demand it although he did close the bar on us a couple of times...when they'd drunk all his whisky...!!!

..... by the way, Robin was in pretty bad shape after 'Calvados' Wednesday .... Toofy Grin
latest report
BernardC,

I thought the 'punter' might have smacked him ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I have to agree, La Grave is not a place to be unsure of your skiing. Its such complex terrain and probably best first tackled with a Guide....
Of all the places I have ridden in the World, it really was the one that really was "Big Mountain"terrain Shocked
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Has anybody looked into flights etc yet ? I know JT has been looking at train travel but that's a bit of a pig from this far north.

Had a look at BA but they seem quite expensive. I quite like the look of EDI-LYS with Lufthansa via Frankfurt. Would get me to Lyon at 10.20pm on Thurs 6th and depart Lyon at 7pm on Monday 10th so could ski most of Monday as well.

Any chance that ties in with anyone else for car hire ?
snow report
brian,

My thinking is that I will train to Chambery/Grenoble and meet you guys for the dates. I will hook up with BC who I think may be in LG and we will go on to wherevere. I haven't organised that with him yet tho.

Have you looked at flights to Paris or Brussels and we can meet up on the train?

I did have a quick look at BA and EJ but Heathrow and Gatwick are murder atm, and it puts me off flying from there.

Any news of your mate..?
latest report
I think we'd do BA LHR- LYS but go out Thurs night back 7.10 Tues am as last year as the Monday night flight is 18.00 which means only about 3 hours skiing. SO outbound would tie with you brian. IIRC 2 fiestas were pretty much the same cost as an estate though last year so maybe doesn't matter too much?
snow conditions
Fancy this place, anyone used it...? Le Castillan

http://perso.orange.fr/castillan/
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, I had a look at the flight+train options but it seems to turn into a bit of a marathon fairly quickly. I haven't heard from Stuart for a while, need to see what he's thinking.

fatbob, cheers. Yeah, a small car should be fairly cheap whatever. If I'm on my own I might try and tie in with you at Lyon. There's a 7am Lufthansa flight out as well.
latest report
 brian
brian
JT, it's certainly handy for the lift Laughing
latest report
Have fun everyone... even a daft sod like me knows when I'd only hold others back... plus I want all limbs intact rolling eyes
latest report
....yes .... La Grave is a definite - I will be driving up from Les Charmettes (La Plagne)

.... and after having had loads of fun in 2m deep powder Toofy Grin for four or so days, returning Les Charmettes, followed by something like a four day jaunt around all the Tarentaise - based from Les Charmettes, but assessing the best locations on a daily basis & hopefully a visit to the Ruitor glacier.

Any consensus on La Grave dates yet .... ?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
BernardC, I believe the consenus is arrive in La Grave Thurs 6th March, skiing Friday to at least Monday.
snow report
I will probably catch the train either wed or thurs.
latest report
brian wrote:
kitenski, it's between L2A and Serre Chevalier so Grenoble, Turin, Lyon, Chambéry is a rough guess at the order of closeness.

Just checked with viamichelin, according to them it's Grenoble (1 hr 40), Chambéry, Lyon, Turin (all around 2 hours give or take 10 mins).

I'd just like to say that these times only hold if you check the route the sat nav gives you - mine decided to take me over a closed winter pass - and cost me an additional 3 hours on the drive!
snow report
I'd agree Turin might be dodgey especially as we will have the snow gods out working over time and the pass between SC and LG is quite exposed. Laughing Laughing Laughing Chains for sure... as a) they'll turn you back, b) you'll not make it even if you wanted to.

Also, the road is prone to rock slides....at least east of LG..!!
ski holidays
...... and some kamikaze 'Hedge-skiers' ....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
JT, our last guests of the season (arrived 31st March) were unable to cross the Lauteret, and had to stay in a hotel in Villar d''Arenes.
snow conditions
JT wrote:
Fancy this place, anyone used it...? Le Castillan

http://perso.orange.fr/castillan/

No clue what the rooms are like, but it's where I go for a drink and lunch (if required) whenever I'm there. Food good. Very Happy Not so far to walk (opp car park) Very Happy Local mountain man hang out. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We've had lunch there a couple of times in summer, and it's been really good food.
ski holidays
I don't think Turin would be too bad, if bad (Good snowHead ) weather is forecast you can find out by phone if Col Lautaret is closed and go through the Frejus tunnel which may be longer but probably not ridiculously so.
snow report
 brian
brian
Ok if everyone's still ok with the dates, I'm going to go ahead and book Lufthansa flights:

Thurs 6/3/08 EDI->LYS (via FRA) arr 22.20
Mon 10/3/08 LYS->EDI dep 19.05

Can get these on airmiles for just the tax (still about £100 though Sad ). BA is £225 from Edinburgh this year. Sixti seems to be the cheapest car hire, a teeny tiny one comes in at about £45 for 4 days if you don't need the excess waiver. Can't book that for another month though.

I reckon I should be ok to leave LG about 2.30pm on the Monday, unless anyone has dire warnings about Grenoble traffic on Mondays in March ?
latest report
brian,

I'll meet you there...
So we are good and the ball is rolling...
ski holidays
....STATUS: Accommodation Reserved Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy