Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are Snow Chain illegal in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@DrLawn, Thats right never owned snow chains. There have been a couple of occasions when they might have been useful - access to properties "up the hill" but other than that no need. Most cars with winter tyres will deal with practically anything on main roads, 4x4 obviously better. As noted above a lot of the chaos is caused by folk stopping to put on chains (often with little idea of how to do so). If you are driving from UK to Alleghe then no issue all the way to Bozen but not sure about the last section through the mountains though sure it will be similar to Austria with road clearing, perhaps San Pellegrino might be an issue though I doubt it. In Austria the only major resort I can think of where chains are sometimes required is the pass to Lech (only in very heavy snow then usually non 4x4 chains up & down 4x4 just down) there are a few other spots but usually no need to use those roads.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @munich_irish,
I do remember parking down in Zug many years ago and having to get the chains on to get back to Pettnau.
I think we were the last out and back as they closed the road after us.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends a lot where you are based. The access road to our apartment was quite steep and smaller local roads are not cleared regularly at night. If the snow's heavy, even chains won't do the job - you can't shove a car through deep snow. Friends, a French family with small kids, had to leave their car at the bottom and carry the kids up, arriving at midnight. Fortunately they were young and strong. Must have been exhausting - a steep ten minutes, even with no snow on the road. The other access roads (one steep 10kms, the other a more moderate 5 kms) sometimes needed chains too - and there was always a faff when they realised, a bit late, that the regular ski busses were going to need chains. In snowy times (the best times!) I'd reckon that at least half the cars in Les Saisies (on a col at 1650m) would have chains on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy