Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family ski trip destination recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mike112788 wrote:
I’m more open to a week now with the idea of Easter, ski week 1 and then the kids have week 2 to recover

Smart move.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always prefer Austria over france, but for last Feb half term (24) I took the kids (8 & 10) on their 1st ski trip and we all had a fantastic time in Val Cenis, France. It was a DIY self drive so not for everyone but the resort is very family orientated was not busy at all and was excellent for 1st time skiing kids who had a fantastic time and as a result they begged to go skiing again next year - however we are going to Austria !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
Mike112788 wrote:
I’m more open to a week now with the idea of Easter, ski week 1 and then the kids have week 2 to recover

Smart move.

+1 Perfect.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi - well i would avoid Feb half term. Busy and expensive. Go for a whole week. I agree with the suggestions about Easter 2025. This is v late this year so you will need to head high. I havent read every post but anywhere high. Id suggest Tignes. Its still good mid April. You do not need to buy a lift pass if you are beginners because there are at least 4 free lifts in Tignes which will cover you for day one and two and maybe day three you by a Tignes area pass (if they still do these ) or if you buy a family pass i think you get all at kids price. I would avoid Christmas/ New Year - busy, expensive, cold. The alternative is a resort with a cheaper lift pass and smaller size but the problem with Easter is you really need to be high and that leaves the bigger resorts in France which all have expensive LPs. Tignes LP for a family of 4 is discounted to 4 x Kids prices. I would also recommend like others you go with a tour operator like skiworld/ crystal etc and let them do the organising. Dont drive out there on your first trip. That will not help your stress levels. On a final note you will not be able to use the Snow Train / Eurostar this year at Easter. Its not running in April. Now thats another topic ! How Eurostar operate a ski snow train so badly is beyond me. Hope you manage to get a trip sorted. Forgot to say treat them to a day at a Snow Centre before you go. They will love it . In fact chuck kids in dry slope lessons. You might think why ? well i did it and they went to ESF and were 3 levels up from the bottom from day one cos they could ski pretty well on dry slope so on snow it was easy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive heard that Val Cenis is v good for beginners/ lots of blues / easy long runs. Maybe best for Feb half term ? I dont think it would be that good for snow mid April ? Anyone been that late to VC ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Owlette wrote:
Layne wrote:
Mike112788 wrote:

Smart move.

+1 Perfect.

Hi Owlette - how easy if the reserving seats through inter rail? I'm worried about using it then not getting on the train i want as I think they only allocate a certain number to interrail pass holders.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charlie333 wrote:
Ive heard that Val Cenis is v good for beginners/ lots of blues / easy long runs. Maybe best for Feb half term ? I dont think it would be that good for snow mid April ? Anyone been that late to VC ?

I've been three times in April and the snow has always been good, it's North facing and goes up to a decent height. As with pretty much everywhere in the afternoon the lower slopes will deteriorate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Macker13 wrote:
Owlette wrote:
Layne wrote:
Mike112788 wrote:

Smart move.

+1 Perfect.

Hi Owlette - how easy if the reserving seats through inter rail? I'm worried about using it then not getting on the train i want as I think they only allocate a certain number to interrail pass holders.

We had no issues at all. You won't be able to reserve yet as they've not released the booking ability past the 14th December yet. Once they are released though, it's easy to do through the Interrail site (I keep an eye on the timetables through the RailPlanner app, which is linked to Interrail. So the allocated seats won't have sold out.

From memory, you tend to go in term time don't you? I would think that that would have a positive impact for you.

Timetables can be searched here, but as I say can only be checked until mid-December. https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/interrail-timetable#/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi everyone, I’ve gone with Avoriaz, I’ve done it DIY, only thing I have left to sort is lift passes. I can’t seem to buy these online yet, do you have to wait for the season to start?
I’m also unclear what to book for my children who will be in ski school each morning for 5days, anyone used ESF Avoriaz before and know how it works?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Which dates have you gone for, @Mike112788? I've rather lost track of the discussion. No rush about lift passes, though it's well worth sorting them out in advance as queues can be long, and very slow. But yes, you need to book ski lessons. I can't advise on ski schools in Avoriaz, but somebody will be able to.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Origen, he means what lift pass to buy - he's already got them ski lessons, "my children who will be in ski school each morning for 5days".

@Mike112788, you need to ask ESF.

@Mike112788, I seem to be able to buy lift passes here https://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/en/lift-pass/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne, ah, it wasn't clear to me that he'd actually booked ESF, rather than just thinking about it. If he has, he should obviously ask the ski school what passes they'll need, as you say. they might not need them for the first day or so.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I had my time again taking the children on their first or second ski trip, I think I would go to Obergurgl, especially if you want to go after 4th April. Wonderful resort for early skiers! Not too far from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at this as an idea:
https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/activities/snow-sports/skiing/family-weeks/

They don't include flights but there is a transfer option. I have been before and its great for beginners and the kids should be able to make a few friends in the centre. You might need to go for one of the "UCPA family plus" weeks so your 5 year old is included in the lessons.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Owlette wrote:
Macker13 wrote:
Owlette wrote:
Layne wrote:
Mike112788 wrote:

Smart move.

+1 Perfect.

We had no issues at all. You won't be able to reserve yet as they've not released the booking ability past the 14th December yet. Once they are released though, it's easy to do through the Interrail site (I keep an eye on the timetables through the RailPlanner app, which is linked to Interrail. So the allocated seats won't have sold out.

From memory, you tend to go in term time don't you? I would think that that would have a positive impact for you.

Timetables can be searched here, but as I say can only be checked until mid-December. https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/interrail-timetable#/

thanks for this - yes i'm lucky i work at a private school and my kids go there so we go when they break up before the state school holidays so it helps cost and the resorts and transport options tend to be quieter. I'll look into inter rail this year!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy