Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski resorts in France for a large mixed-level group

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
willsonski wrote:
Another vote for Val Thorens from me. It’s the best ski area in the world,

No, it's not.
+1
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agree that Val Thorens is not the best ski area in the world.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
willsonski wrote:

No, it's not.

Go on then, what’s better than 3V?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@willsonski, you didn't say 3V, you said VT.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
satibr wrote:
@Kenzie
21st

That will be Xmas week in 2025 and considerably more expensive than say w/c Jan 3 or 10 so you should definitely push the trip back.

Early/mid Jan is a good time to be in the 3Vs, more snow cover, quiet slopes, definitely better off piste opportunities.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mjit wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Mjit wrote:
France tends to be electronic dance music

I'd love to know where in France you've skied to come to this conclusion!

Well most French resorts I've been to don't have any "apres ski" (just because a bar is open and selling beer at the end of the ski day does not make it an "apres ski bar" so having a beer there is not "apres ski"). Of those that do:
Tremplin in Morzine - dance music.
Happy Hours in Adrent - dance music.
Folie in Avoriaz - dance music.
Folie in Alpe d'Huez - dance music.
Folie in Val d'Isere - dance music.
Les Arc 1950/Belle Plagne/Tignes Le Lac - nothing I'd call "apres ski"

I'd agree that "bars" in Franch ski resorts are more likely to play mainstream rock as a default but that "apres le dîner" than "apres ski".

I thought after I'd posted that if your main point of reference was Folie Douces, then you might come to that conclusion. Although I'd say they tend to play electronica in the quieter periods when they've only got a single DJ or keyboard player on the stage. When it's busier I'd describe it more as acid jazz/funk once they get a sax player and guitarist up there with the keyboards but that's just me. In fairness I think it's one of FD's main selling points that they offer something a bit different. It's certainly different to Austrian oompah Europop.

My definition of apres would be a live band playing and my points of reference are mainly across Meribel and the various Courchevels. The Ronnie, Taverne, Jacks in Meribel, Ski Lodge in La Tania, Boulotte in C1650 all play classic rock anthems and the odd modern cover at apres. You can pretty much guarantee that you're going to hear songs such as Dakota, Mr Brightside, Sweet Home Alabama, Sweet Child o' Mine etc.

I guess you could argue that all those bars are pretty Brit oriented so maybe not really representative of France but then the FDs aren't representative of the smaller resorts either.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 14-09-24 18:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@willsonski, you didn't say 3V, you said VT.

My bad for not being more specific, but I assumed people would understand I meant the wider ski area in which VT is located
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
willsonski wrote:
..My bad for not being more specific, but I assumed people would understand I meant the wider ski area in which VT is located
You mean France, then? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
willsonski wrote:
under a new name wrote:
willsonski wrote:

No, it's not.

Well that's a deeply personal thing, and even then it can depend what someone wants. Personally I prefer La Plagne/Paradiski as an all rounder because it has tree runs that are more easily accessible on bad days than those in VT. I prefer Rusutsu for the off-piste between the trees and crazy powder, I prefer the Dolomites for the striking views. TBH I find 3V a bit meh, it's a big area but I wouldn't put it ahead of any other mega resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
willsonski wrote:
under a new name wrote:
willsonski wrote:

No, it's not.

Well that's a deeply personal thing, and even then it can depend what someone wants. Personally I prefer La Plagne/Paradiski as an all rounder because it has tree runs that are more easily accessible on bad days than those in VT. I prefer Rusutsu for the off-piste between the trees and crazy powder, I prefer the Dolomites for the striking views. TBH I find 3V a bit meh, it's a big area but I wouldn't put it ahead of any other mega resort.

That’s fair enough, obviously everyone wants different things. I love skiing VT and Courche especially. For a group of younger mixed ability skiers who want a fun place to spend a week - on and off the snow - I think VT is very hard to beat.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
satibr wrote:

Any thoughts or other resort suggestions (Alps, not just France)?

Someone else mentioned it as a passing comment, but depending on how your group feels about not staying in luxury and staying in dorms, staying at a UCPA centre could be a good shout.

Pros:
- Cheap (like insanely good value for what you get)
- Everything organised for you (lift pass, equipment, 3 meals a day so you don't have to faff around with self-catering or eating on the slopes, lessons for different abilities from complete beginner to advanced or can book without lessons if preferred).
- Easy for people to book and pay separately and then you can link your bookings together later so your group ends up in the same dorms.
- Can use the bar at the centre as a base (with questionable French entertainment) before going out in the evenings.

I went on a trip to UCPA trip last year where a group of 60 Portuguese people had self-organised a trip through a Facebook group who basically ended up taking over the centre for that week.

As for resorts at that time of year, I would say go high just because snow in even the high Alps is becoming less reliable each year.

Personally I would say pick either Tignes or Val Thorens. Both are high up, variety of terrain, more apres and nightlife than at smaller resorts. I wouldn't obsess too much about piste maps and itineraries for beginners, with a group that size you are going to end up splitting up and doing different things anyway.

Tignes has some other stuff to do. There is a leisure centre with a swimming pool and a fancy spa and there are other activities to do on the lake and around the resort if some of your group really hates skiing.

If you can stretch to January I would go the 2nd week of January as it will be much cheaper and quieter compared to the mad Christmas/New Year weeks. Going before Christmas is chancing it with snow cover.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just my two penneth - if the snows early then for mixed groups with a high beginner count I'd say Montgenevre. Some easy controlled off piste and Italy over the border for added fun / better lunch
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey everyone,

First off, big thanks to everyone who chipped in on this topic!

After reading through everything here and doing a bit more digging, I’ve decided to put Paradiski at the top of my list. It ticks all the boxes I was looking for.

I checked out some videos of the Natur pistes, and they’re exactly what I had in mind.

As for the village, there are ClubMed options in Les Arcs 1600, Vallandry, and La Plagne 2100. Each village has its pros and cons, but I'm not stressing about it now.

Thanks again for all the input!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
“Personally sitting outside a Folli getting cold while being deafened by dance music and trying to show how cool I am (not)/how much money I have is my idea of hell and I'd much rather ski down, pop the skis outside an Austrian apres bar and be singing (shouting tunelessly) "Hey, wie wollen die eisbären sehen. Oh-oh-oh-oh-ho!" crowded in a warm bar with 100 people doing the same.”

+1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy