Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling les menuires experts…(re Xmas)

Poster: A snowHead
ecureuil wrote:
v1cky24 wrote:
La ferme Xmas eve confirmed
Xmas Eve? Or Xmas Day eve? You don't want to turn up on the wrong day!

Xmas eve! You lot said that was the day the celebrating was down Laughing

Excited Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ll just miss you Bram.

You’ll get a range of comments re: lessons on here. I mean sure you’ll probably be able to get around without them. But loading/unloading the lifts and taking you to pistes you can ‘ski’ are additional benefits of lessons. You might not maximize your potential teaching yourself!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Must admit I don't know what the difference is between Xmas Eve and Xmas Day Eve. To me it's the same thing. December 24th. What am I missing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, Xmas day eve is a possible abbreviation of evening, i.e. the night of December 25th, not 24th.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
v1cky24 wrote:
Xmas eve! You lot said that was the day the celebrating was down Laughing

Excited Blush

Did you get a choice then? I was assuming La Ferme had pointed you towards the 24th instead of the 25th, either because it's the "traditional" day to celebrate in France so you get a special meal and/or more authentic experience or simply because they would be shut on the 25th (as some restaurants do). Would be interested to know for future reference please.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bram wrote:
Want people to enjoy it so we go skiing again, me I love it, kids think it's great, the wife is one needing to convince more Eh oh!

Without wishing to sound sexist, this is often the case. I've seen a mate get divorced twice because both wives hated being dragged on ski holidays, even as part of a wide ranging "fun" group and in the days when I used to offer private coaching in my free time as a seasonaire for a bit of extra teaching practice, I had far more female "clients" than males. It's very sad to see perfectly competent ladies flatly refuse to ski with their husband/family/group due to anxiety from the peer pressure to keep up etc.

The absolute last thing you want is for an already slightly reticent wife to have a bad fall the first time she tries to use a chairlift because she's had no instruction and then lose whatever confidence she started with. It's spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar IMO and just not worth the risk if you want long term buy-in to ski holidays.

I don't know your family dynamic but one option could be to get a private instructor for the family and if she's struggling, let her continue with the instructor on her own while you and the kids go exploring for a bit, or if you're nurturing types, hang around, ski at her pace and build her confidence by telling her how well she's doing. What's the ability level of the other mum in the group? If she's a little nervous too then another option would be to let the wives go into regular ski school together to build confidence and then ski with their families after meeting up for lunch.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
:[/quote]
Did you get a choice then? I was assuming La Ferme had pointed you towards the 24th instead of the 25th, either because it's the "traditional" day to celebrate in France so you get a special meal and/or more authentic experience or simply because they would be shut on the 25th (as some restaurants do). Would be interested to know for future reference please.[/quote]

I didn’t ask for Xmas day in the end. Asked for Xmas eve. I figured it would be a nice atmosphere and to celebrate in a similar fashion to how it’s done locally would be a nice thing for the family to do!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
v1cky24 wrote:

I didn’t ask for Xmas day in the end. Asked for Xmas eve. I figured it would be a nice atmosphere and to celebrate in a similar fashion to how it’s done locally would be a nice thing for the family to do!

I agree. LM is arguably the most French of all the 3V resorts and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more nationals than tourists in there that night. Bon appetit!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
v1cky24 wrote:
I’ll just miss you Bram.

You’ll get a range of comments re: lessons on here. I mean sure you’ll probably be able to get around without them. But loading/unloading the lifts and taking you to pistes you can ‘ski’ are additional benefits of lessons. You might not maximize your potential teaching yourself!

All one big learning curve for a first trip that for sure
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Bram wrote:
Want people to enjoy it so we go skiing again, me I love it, kids think it's great, the wife is one needing to convince more Eh oh!

Without wishing to sound sexist, this is often the case. I've seen a mate get divorced twice because both wives hated being dragged on ski holidays, even as part of a wide ranging "fun" group and in the days when I used to offer private coaching in my free time as a seasonaire for a bit of extra teaching practice, I had far more female "clients" than males. It's very sad to see perfectly competent ladies flatly refuse to ski with their husband/family/group due to anxiety from the peer pressure to keep up etc.

The absolute last thing you want is for an already slightly reticent wife to have a bad fall the first time she tries to use a chairlift because she's had no instruction and then lose whatever confidence she started with. It's spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar IMO and just not worth the risk if you want long term buy-in to ski holidays.

I don't know your family dynamic but one option could be to get a private instructor for the family and if she's struggling, let her continue with the instructor on her own while you and the kids go exploring for a bit, or if you're nurturing types, hang around, ski at her pace and build her confidence by telling her how well she's doing. What's the ability level of the other mum in the group? If she's a little nervous too then another option would be to let the wives go into regular ski school together to build confidence and then ski with their families after meeting up for lunch.

Good to know skiing can be an out if needed Laughing Don't get me wrong shes up for it and been doing well so far and does need encouragement that shes doing well. When I say convincing I mean for follow on ski holiday, I think she would be quite happy in and around the nursery and lower level slopes.
The other mum is like me and skied before, so we are a little further ahead of the others.

There is def lots to consider and really appreciate peoples guidance and tips.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off to Les Menuires the first week of March; group of 4 blokes, mix of skiers and boarders (intermediate)

Apart from learning how to pronounce the place, anyone got any pointers on the resort?

We’re all the wrong side of 40 so some beers and apres, well, it’s welcome, but we’re not going to be in a club at 1am. We’ll get the 3V pass and happy to explore but none of us have been to the region before.

Anyone have any good tips for such a group, it’d be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Reezo, please start a new thread, this one's already been hijacked once...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Reezo, phonetically Ley Men-weir

Beers/apres - no clue (I'm a family man Very Happy )

Skiing wise: Masse is a small area by itself. Effectively a number of pistes serviced by a recently built gondola. Great views from the top. Great first thing on a sunny morning. There a mass of pistes above LM itself - something for everyone - if you want to stay local. Fun to ski down to St Martin at least once. The bowl surrounding Val T is never ending. Mont Vallon is fantastic, I never get tired of going over there. The rest of the Meribel valley is a bit meh for me and I tend to not do too much there. Courcheval valley is big and lots of great stuff to explore in all corners.

You ski off piste?

Why are 4 blokes going in the school holidays?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
@Reezo, phonetically Ley Men-weir

Beers/apres - no clue (I'm a family man Very Happy )

Skiing wise: Masse is a small area by itself. Effectively a number of pistes serviced by a recently built gondola. Great views from the top. Great first thing on a sunny morning. There a mass of pistes above LM itself - something for everyone - if you want to stay local. Fun to ski down to St Martin at least once. The bowl surrounding Val T is never ending. Mont Vallon is fantastic, I never get tired of going over there. The rest of the Meribel valley is a bit meh for me and I tend to not do too much there. Courcheval valley is big and lots of great stuff to explore in all corners.

You ski off piste?

Why are 4 blokes going in the school holidays?

Nice one, appreciated.

We don’t go off piste and on the timings, one of the party has some friends out there that week. I was pushing for the second week of March but was out-voted.

Having avoided school holidays the last few years and also skiing in Austria, I have the fear about a French holiday week. I’ve been burnt before. However, I’ve been assured that given the size of the 3V, that week ‘isn’t too bad’ by those friends who’ve done several seasons there.

Apparently.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Reezo, it's one zone, probably not the worst.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Mont Vallon is fantastic, I never get tired of going over there.

Strange tastes, some people. wink

3 km of terminally tedious chopped up bumps and no real gradient after the first section. The best reason for skiing Combe du Vallon is as a fitness test; if you can ski it non-stop and still walk the next day then you can congratulate yourself on being genuinely ski fit. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy