Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski service reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
@phil_w, I had the impression most ski shops in resorts (and here) sent skis brought into them to a central workshop which did them en masse.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball wrote:
After damage early on, the bases were mended in resort and ground down considerably.

Not sure why they would have been grown down considerably but anyway...

snowball wrote:
I have tried to do all repairs and service myself since then, though it is hard to know what to do with the multitude of smaller scratches and medium scratches going almost end to end.

You don't need to do anything unless it's a decent gouge. Tis but a flesh wound.

snowball wrote:
The bases do look rather tired now.

In what way? May be they are just dried out and need a good wax. As long as I ptex the gouges and give them a good wax mine look fine year on year.

snowball wrote:
The edges were seriously reduced in the middle of the ski and there isn't a huge amount left after lots of damage and edging. To get them properly sharp in the middle now would need a lot of metal removed. I think my file is rather blunt by now.

TBH I'm struggling to understand what you are doing here. Sounds like you are trashing your skis on the slopes and on the workbench Laughing Shocked Laughing

snowball wrote:
Consequently my question about someone around London who won't just send off skis to a central servicing point but will actually follow what I request.

So I think there have been a couple of recommends - will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 9-09-24 16:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball wrote:
... I had the impression most ski shops in resorts (and here) sent skis brought into them to a central workshop which did them en masse.
If you can't see the machine....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I had the impression most ski shops in resorts (and here) sent skis brought into them to a central workshop which did them en masse.

I do not know about the UK but if you visit most ski shops in France in the evening you will see them servicing skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All of the major ski hire shops here in our small valley have modern machines including at least 2 of the latest top end Wintersteiger all singing all dancing machines. The smaller shops all have some machinery for edge sharpening etc but will take them to the bigger shops if a base grind is required. The hire skis go into the machine which is set for minimum pressure after every weeks hire, if less than a week they are assessed and usually just put in without the grind. Quite a few of the local race club have started using the machine for servicing, something that wouldn't have happened just 5 years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, I think that depends. Concept Pro in Chamonix have a very nice business servicing for other shops on their Wintersteiger.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
snowball wrote:
I have tried to do all repairs and service myself since then, though it is hard to know what to do with the multitude of smaller scratches and medium scratches going almost end to end.

You don't need to do anything unless it's a design gouge. Tis but a flesh wound.

Yep, when I did the servicing course at the Piste Office Jon's guidance was unless they are really deep you can more or less ignore lengthwise scratches and it's more the cross ski ones, especially those near the edges that you really need to worry about.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The tired look before I wax is all the little scratches and the fact I once could only get transparent rather than black ptex. I think the small amount of metal left comes from the machine grinds, in terms of depth. Reduction from the side would be partly me, but I only sharpen every 2 weeks or so, and I think my file is very blunt since it is hard to get them even approximately sharp now. They haven't been in a shop the last couple of seasons so I think I'll get an edge done professionally.

Yes, @Mjit, I came to the conclusion if there is a bit that might hide rocks it is better to take it straight if you can and slow later, rather than get a transverse gouge.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:
The tired look before I wax is all the little scratches and the fact I once could only get transparent rather than black ptex.

Well, of course they look tired before the service - I look tired before a shave and a shower Laughing

snowball wrote:
I think the small amount of metal left comes from the machine grinds, in terms of depth. Reduction from the side would be partly me, but I only sharpen every 2 weeks or so, and I think my file is very blunt since it is hard to get them even approximately sharp now. They haven't been in a shop the last couple of seasons so I think I'll get an edge done professionally.

After the grinds did they reset the base edge?

What side edge angle do you set?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
Yes, @Mjit, I came to the conclusion if there is a bit that might hide rocks it is better to take it straight if you can and slow later, rather than get a transverse gouge.

It's the ones hear but never see that catch you out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mjit, Well yes, but if people you are skiing with are finding rocks on a bit of slope, you know there may be others. Mind you, I once took out an edge Heli-skiing and found that - once the piece was snipped out by the guide - it made no difference in powder. (I took just the bindings home).
@Layne, I looked and it is currently set on 89º, so I tried re-setting at 87º. I just cleaned out the file grooves again which were clogged with plastic from just above the metal, so perhaps the file couldn't even engage with the metal bit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowball, 87 will make a difference for sure. If grooves are clogged with plastic you need a sidewall remover.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep, time for a sidewall plane. Basically you've serviced the side edges enough that when set at the designed angle the file's not just running against the edge but also the top sheet sidewall - which also probably means the file's actually running at a steeper angle than the guide/you think it is, so your 89º may have actually ended up at 89.somethingº. The sidewall plane's designed to cut away the edge of the top sheet so the edge once more sits 'proud' of the sidewall and your file's just running against the edge again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
if there is a bit that might hide rocks it is better to take it straight if you can and slow later, rather than get a transverse gouge.
it's also that if you are carved over, you dig much deeper. So don't ever turn on the roll over unless you're sure it's not windy scalped.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes @phil_w. And the sixth person down a narrow bit of slope is more likely to hit something than the first (the guide).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 11-09-24 12:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mjit, yes, that fits. So if I take it to a shop for edging, I just point that out?
snow conditions
@snowball, if you take it to a decent shop they won't need telling.

The point being made is that if you are DIYing you need to buy a sidewall remover (not all that expensive) and learn how to use it (not all that difficult).
snow report
OK, thanks: I just ordered one from Ski Bartlett. Just bought a cheap one, £39.90
snow conditions
@snowball,
http://youtube.com/v/sOKIPCGP1eU?si=gvkrssD_LKXo5NxG ,
http://youtube.com/v/EsHzsm-4y3Q?si=TyxqihvxcCSxaSsb ,
http://youtube.com/v/sOKIPCGP1eU?si=qW7vHKPsMFuLnsKx , might be of help Very Happy
ski holidays
@radar, thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy