Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleeping in the car Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
brownie wrote:
I presume this is wee wee take

Thanks for the edit to ‘wee wee’ Eh oh! Admin. Apologies I didn’t realise this forum was so puritanical
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@brownie, usual reason as kids have access to snowHeads, Parents have to create accounts for any children attending a bash. In theory, they could then access it. I'm sure you could find something else from our rich English language to get your point across.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The Val Thorens carparks have CCTV

Some of those poos in the wee small hours might go viral.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells wrote:
@brownie, usual reason as kids have access to snowHeads, Parents have to create accounts for any children attending a bash. In theory, they could then access it. I'm sure you could find something else from our rich English language to get your point across.

Fair enough, though if its a swear word its a pretty mild one
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think th OP might be crazy, but for a small cost things like this are avalable:

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/france/galibier-thabor/valloire/res-les-chalets-du-galibier-chalet-5?Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1994-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=2021-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B2%5D=2019-03-20&Duration%5B0%5D=5&DurationsRanges=5-5&Mealplan=LG&Month=2025-01-01&TransportType=SelfDrive
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the teaching your kids to ski. We did, in the Jura and then the Alps, and now my eldest has been teaching his own 2 little ones in Cali, although the oldest at 6 asked to go to a day ski camp last season and had a lot of fun. Yes its a good idea to have some professional input from time to time but we felt with very little ones they had more fun on a family holiday that included some skiing.

A good compromise thats been mentioned maybe staying somewhere cheap (we took our caravan but fuel prices and channel crossing prices have made that no longer cheap) and driving to resort. If you can go outside of peak times leave deciding where till the last minute so you know snow will be good and you`ll likely find some very cheap accommodation. Don`t underestimate the cost of covered parking in high resorts these days either.

I thought my husband was bonkers when he first suggested going on a ski holiday in a caravan by the way!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@brownie, I can't get my head round the concept of "swearing". Personally I think the harm is done by giving some "bad words" mystical powers. Much of the history of "swearing" in English is linked to religious beliefs. Perhaps "sharp" is a terrible word in some language somewhere. It's just phonetics. "Piss" was common in Chaucer's time (and Shakespeare's). When we religiously avoid making certain sounds we are playing into the hands of those who wish to invest those sounds with Hellish power. If people no longer believe in that kind of theology the logical conclusion is that it's jut phonetics and personally I think the answer is to use them ALL THE TIME so that lose all power to shock.
I have just spent two and a half weeks sailing with dear friends who simply never "swear". I have, out of affection and respect for them, moderated my usual linguistic habits just as, if I'd been out sailing with a Muslim skipper I'd probably have covered my arms. Not that they were uncovered much, thanks to the cold weather!! Part of me was irritated at doing this, and I'd have quite enjoyed a logical discussion about the "morals" of bad language. But as we had a number of other (friendly) arguments about, amongst other things, social media and comprehensive education, I decided it wasn't very important.

A few weeks ago I was at a semi-public local meeting about what to do about gangs of youths who congregate round our waterside environment and often do bad things like throwing stones at swans and climbing on other people's boats and trying to wedge sluice gates open. All bad things, I agree. When I made the point that just shouting "fuck" a lot was not in itself behaviour meriting calling the police a frisson ran round the room. I had crossed a social boundary. "Fuck it", I thought. As for harm to children, they would be done far more harm by reading the Reform Party's website.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crazy_dad wrote:

The only thing I thought is that since we were in the back of a transit van none of the car park attendants would have any idea we were there where as in a car if someone comes walking around and sees a dad and two kids in the back of the car they might kick us out: presumably sleeping in the car isn't strictly speaking allowed.

So any flaws or any alternative suggestions that broadly fit the bill would be much appreciated!

crazy_dad wrote:

So far none of the objections are looking insurmountable so it's looking good!

You haven’t seen this, which directly answers your “only” question:

rjs wrote:
The Val Thorens carparks have CCTV.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brownie, probably wasn't in 2004 when some of us including admin had young children. BTW, I swear with the best/worst of them, but there is a bit of hisotry in the swear filter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brownie, you will have noticed that it's easy to circumvent the swear filter (I've not felt the need to learn how to do so, but I'm assured it's not difficult.)

I don't think it's very attractive to be potty-mouthed. Unfortunately I am. Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
I swear with the best/worst of them, but there is a bit of hisotry in the swear filter.

How offensive is hisotry and should we report it's useage to a mod?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I don't think it's very attractive to be potty-mouthed. Unfortunately I am

This is the thing. It's not a moral issue. It's aesthetic. Like speaking in a very ungrammatical and limited way isn't very attractive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gored, again, if you're working in a role where the company gives you a Tesla (although most companies now doing the salary sacrifice thing anyway), the cost of 4 days accomodation shouldn't really be troubling you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and it's a stupid idea but the OP is either imaginary or has already made his mind up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gored wrote:
DaveyGTi wrote:
Gored wrote:
DaveyGTi wrote:
You bought a Tesla.

It could be a company car or salary sacrifice where most companies only allow EV’s these days.
Makes sense to sacrifice if it reduces a tax band & possibly getting under the earning limits before children benefit payments taper.

Still though, working in a job that affords you a Tesla as a company car would presumably imply that a few hundred quid for a sofa bed + bunk beds type is not going to cause financial hardship, and if it does one should probably revisit some life choices.

I have worked at places who had staff with Mercs, but the staff members were earning under £25k. However it done wonders for the brand image as everyone thought the staff were well paid & must be good at their job.
The clever staff members took the £6k car allowance & drove around in nearly new VW's or Skodas Laughing

How long ago was that? I can't imagine any kind of role that provides a company car that pays that badly these days except maybe something sales-reppy when the assumption is the shortfall is made up in commission or bonuses
snow report
@Origen, your post amused me as we were tied up at the end of the public jetty in Emsworth and as someone had left the gate open two youths were there and decided to faff about right beside us thinking about swimming etc but I did tell them to moderate their language as I was cooking our breakfast and it was very boring hearing Be Nice please! Be Nice please! Be Nice please! the whole time. They apologised . And we are our bacon and eggs and left!
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
... This is the thing. It's not a moral issue. It's aesthetic. Like speaking in a very ungrammatical and limited way isn't very attractive.
Kids all swear really well, and know from an early age that you have to code switch. As do teachers.

Folk who claim to be upset by must think we're fucking stupid.
But if you're dealing with a call centre then if you're sweary then you'll lose.
Having sat in lots of call centres for technical reasons, swearing is an instant game over move if you don't back off.

I guess I'd like to think swearing is a useful tool, although not if used indiscriminately like Johnson's folk did.
But then they were incompetent on multiple levels. Interesting to learn that posh folk swear too though.

Isn't it something about slightly breaking some social boundaries for effect, or something?
snow report
Such complicated attempts at justification! Unnecessarily causing offence isn't really justifiable, although we all do it.
ski holidays
brownie wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

I can see you are a bit pissed about the swear filter.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@brownie, you will have noticed that it's easy to circumvent the swear filter (I've not felt the need to learn how to do so, but I'm assured it's not difficult.)

I don't think it's very attractive to be potty-mouthed. Unfortunately I am. Embarassed

John Oliver
recently had a marvellous bit on the word c##t and its utility.
https://www.tiktok.com/@goosenibble/video/7385186196340837678
latest report
"unnecessarily causing offence" can be done in such a huge variety of ways. For example by using "bad language". But also by being offended by "bad language".
Most people don't make a fuss, these days. Like they don't about "flag etiquette" on boats. I recall years ago some old duffer with a defaced (i.e. frightfully self-important) ensign on a yacht on Lymington town quay telling us off because it was dark when we came back from the pub and our common or garden ensign was flying in the dark. And hats in church. Back in the day, any man in church in a hat was committing an offence (one might almost say "sin") as great as a woman who failed to wear one.

One needs to keep these things in proportion. Laughing
snow report
davidof wrote:
brownie wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

One is beside oneself

I’m flippin’ incandescent Eh oh!
ski holidays
Didn't realise having a Tesla would cause so much consternation...

Anyway seems as if this thread has run its course with respect to "advice" so thanks all for your contributions. You'll be pleased to know odds are I will not be trying this.

Enjoy your holidays!
snow conditions
How the Be Nice please! hell did this go from a thread about an insane idea of sleeping in a car, in a ski resort for a week with two toddlers, to a Be Nice please! discussion about Be Nice please! swearing in Be Nice please! yacht Be Nice please! marinas?
ski holidays
Possibly because those all seemed like more sensible topics?
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't understand why should a swear filter would cause alcoholic intoxication
ski holidays
Nor do I understand why birds of the family Paridae are banned or the English word for a persons bottom. Is the girls name Fanny banned?
snow report
@johnE, only, for the british, if you are talking of the front Fanny. If you're north american it's the back fanny.

Aunt Fannys are different entirely.

@Origen, totally with you. Emotional context is a construct of that society. Meaningless in any real sense.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back to sleeping cars.

I did a holiday to Lake Garda in a small car where the back could convert into a serviceable double bed. I slept in it with my girlfriend for a few nights but it was summer. We had bikes in the back which we locked outside at night.

I've slept at least twice in cars in the winter - just overnight travelling - you need a good sleeping bag and the car gets very damp. I've never considered it when skiing though.

So taking the OP seriously for a second, it is a daft idea. I would go to a cheaper resort and sleep somewhere inexpensive. Why do somewhere like Val Tho as a hobo?
snow conditions
@crazy_dad,
Quote:

you'll be pleased to know odds are I will not be trying this.
That's good news!

As for bad language, there are degrees of bad language which might cause unnecessary offence (depending on context) and making a fuss about the word pi$s is probably disproportionate in pretty much any contemporary context. On the other hand, using the c word indiscriminately probably remains quite offensive to quite a lot of people, though I personally use it sometimes, and don't 'make a fuss' when other people use it. Indeed I don't make a fuss when I hear any bad language, though I think repeated, unthinking use of swear words like some sort of punctuation is tiresome and lazy. I really don't see what making a fuss about wearing hats has got to do with anything.
ski holidays
crazy_dad wrote:
Didn't realise having a Tesla would cause so much consternation...

Anyway seems as if this thread has run its course with respect to "advice" so thanks all for your contributions. You'll be pleased to know odds are I will not be trying this.

Enjoy your holidays!

Your wife said no didn’t she Toofy Grin
latest report
In Val Cenis this March we got talking with and then skied with an American ski instructor. He was early 70s and sleeping in a hire car for a month, on his own, visiting various resorts that have free passes for pensioners. He was a tad crazy but tough as nails and still super enthusiastic about skiing
snow report

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 14-07-24 8:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
And there's also Fanny Mae and the other one.

The c word is a term of endearment where I'm from, but it depends who uses it and how, so the one word is much more flexible and as precise as more specific language.
ski holidays
Things change fast. Respectable people use the F word a lot now, so it's lost that frisson of excitement. Yes, it's tedious if people use it all the time but no more tedious than constantly using "like" or starting sentences with the redundant "so". Before long the C word will be tossed around too then the magic power will be lost.

The point about the hats is that because people thought it mattered terribly, it was considerate to fit in with the convention unless one deliberately set out to shock.
But the convention itself was arbitrary and pointless - nobody ever claimed any religious significance to it, it was just a convention. "Bad language" is like that. Avada Kedavra.
latest report
Origen wrote:
Before long the C word will be tossed around too then the magic power will be lost.

Conservative?
snow report
@Origen,
Quote:

no more tedious than constantly using "like" or starting sentences with the redundant "so"

I agree it isn't, but what's the point of these whatabouteries? Including hats.
snow report
I use the F word a lot in various forms...I used to call it a retail term. I moderated myself when I went to work in the City of London but find myself using it occasionally now.

I can't bear the c word given what it refers to. If I hear it I call it out
latest report
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

I can't bear the c word given what it refers to. If I hear it I call it out

Do you use the words cock and/or balls in a derogatory way? (I do.) If so, what's the difference?
snow conditions
@Hurtle, no

Edit...reference to a female part seems a violation to me, reference to a men's parts doesn't...can't explain it though
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy