Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Custom Boot Liners... Worth it? ... Yes :)

Poster: A snowHead
I don’t know where you are based, but we found the Ski Exchange in Dry Drayton very good. Definitely recommend a fitted inner. We also have a custom footbed that came with the boot. Just don’t do what I did and listen to the advice of an idiot and try and clean them in the dishwasher. Expensive mistake and cause I’d great hilarity when I told the boot fitter!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Possibly the shell mod. You swapped out for Zipfit I suspect because you took the ZG with the stock liner, good for 3 hours! Then the Zipfit has slowly allowed the cork to push away from the apex of the problem, thus exposed almost directly to the shell, that’s what kept happening to me. An improved pocket for the apex, then a 15mm intuition Hybrid Tour liner and you’ll be golden.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Baron von chippy, footbeds may need a remould too, alot of force running through them, perhaps starting to collapse.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CH2O, Roger that. You did try and convince me to get your liners.
me being me i thought "just trying to squeeze a few more bob out of me"
a week later me being me "I wish I'd have listened in the shop"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Wendyjh, Ski Exchange is very local to me and that's where I bought my current boots from in November 2021. I've had great service from these people and I want to support this little local shop.

As I said earlier these were the best fitting boots I've ever had, (And I've had a lot of crappy boots over the years) down a whole size from what I normally end up with.

I've been back couple of times to have them fettled and they fettled away free of charge.
Great service.

They even swopped out the original custom footbeds which I think were called something like Profeet, for a new pair of Sidas, no charge again.

But I do have or did have a problem with the Sidas soles..
I had excruciating pain on the balls of the feet just after the toes, first on the Port side and then the Starboard started to grumble.

When I inspected the left one, it had developed a slight crease forming a high spot to cause the trouble.

After to listening to all your sensible advice on this thread, I feel the best answer would be to try and get the shell warmed up and blown out a bit to make way for that Medial Bump.

And then invest in some new custom liners to take up the slack.
And probably a pair of footbeds.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Baron von chippy, haha, so you avoided the solution to get to a point where you can’t do without it. Not gonna say it but….
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, that’s great and genuine and you’re in the hands of the “Nez de Cochon” he’s served his time, and has the scars to “boot”
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CH2O, I've changed my tactics in life now, when I try to cheap out or bargain hunt it always comes back to get me. Any boot fitters in/around Munich you've rubbed shoulders with you'd recommend?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’d love a shop in Munich, amazing city
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CH2O wrote:
I’d love a shop in Munich, amazing city
and great beer
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM, hands down better than French bier. A wiess bier being my favourite type
do you know of a decent boot fitter there?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Baron von chippy, I think H&N in Reith im Alpbachtal are supposed to be a decent one just south this way
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Baron von chippy wrote:
@CEM, hands down better than French bier. A wiess bier being my favourite type
do you know of a decent boot fitter there?

in Munich Seb at blacksheep sports (i think he deals mostly in touring and back country, but not 100% sure) or H7 N as @swskier mentioned
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just came back from the SkiExchange.
I have a feeling this could be the best money I've ever spent (on ski gear).

They fitted me with a pair of Intuition liners using my original boots.
So far they feel fantastic, but the acid test is how I get on with them the next time I get to Hemel Fridge.

I spent 4 hours skiing in the original gear yesterday and I gave up because of the agony.

These liners wrap around the shin so putting the boot on and off will now only take seconds rather than the minutes of agony it used to take forcing my duff foot into the boot.

It cost me £160.65 which I consider an absolute bargain, considering the 1+ hour of cooking and heating.
I was expecting to pay a lot more than that for them.
So cheers to you all who advised me on this thread:
@Wendyjh, @CH2O, @Baron von chippy,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Sorry I'm a bit gushing about Ski Exchange, but here goes.
They told me they will be running a Ski Demo in March 2025 at Pila.

So if you are in The Aosta valley in March next season this may interest you.

Here is the promo video from last season:

http://youtube.com/v/jIdTkxZ8o50
ski holidays
@DrLawn, you didn't happen to get a fitting with James did you? He and I did our L1 instructor course together.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, I'm also in the medial malieoi club!! I had a pair of boots back from my beginners days that were very comfortable but as I progressed it became apparent that they were too big and I just felt like my foot was banging around in there.

So I got a new pair last November - at which point they mentioned my medial malieoi, and that it was a slight worry. But the boots felt great so no worries. Went skiing in Jan, and day1 was fine but I don't think I got them set quite right on day2 and for the rest of the trip they were agony. I missed a whole day and then only skiied for a few hours on the other days.

I went again a few weeks later, and only lasted a few hours before having to get my old boots back on.

I really need to go back to the shop for them to take a look at before the new season - but I have a nagging doubt at the back of my mind that the boots aren't the issue, I just got the set up wrong on day2 (i didn't feel quite right in them but instead of adjusting I just ploughed on). Unfortunately once I buggered the ankle any pressure on it was agony, regardless of whether the boot was okay or not. Might take a trip to the snowdome to see how they feel.
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, welcome to the club.
I can sympathise, for so many years I was using boots that were a whole size too big, due to the huge ankle on one side.

So the other foot was rattling around, but this changed in November 2021 when I had the best fitting boots I've ever had.

But liners bed down and bones start sticking out a bit (especially if you have a prang).

I've wasted good money on very nasty boots before, they were fine in the shop, they were fine on the piste for the first hour, but then the pins & needles would start.
Eventualy very very hurty.
Just had to get rid of them.
So that is in the past....
Anyway, I'm looking forward to slipping into something more comfortable Very Happy
snow report
swskier wrote:
@DrLawn, you didn't happen to get a fitting with James did you? He and I did our L1 instructor course together.

Wasn't me, I was in admin mode sadly, Simon handled this one Smile
Hope you are well!
snow conditions
Hi @Jimmythefoot, In Addenbrooks their top ankle consultant is know as "Fred the Foot" Very Happy
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
Just came back from the SkiExchange.
I have a feeling this could be the best money I've ever spent (on ski gear).

They fitted me with a pair of Intuition liners using my original boots.
So far they feel fantastic, but the acid test is how I get on with them the next time I get to Hemel Fridge.

I spent 4 hours skiing in the original gear yesterday and I gave up because of the agony.

These liners wrap around the shin so putting the boot on and off will now only take seconds rather than the minutes of agony it used to take forcing my duff foot into the boot.

It cost me £160.65 which I consider an absolute bargain, considering the 1+ hour of cooking and heating.
I was expecting to pay a lot more than that for them.
So cheers to you all who advised me on this thread:
@Wendyjh, @CH2O, @Baron von chippy,

Awesome news, good on you!
snow report
@Jimmythefoot, change that handle "Nez de Cochon!"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy