Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MPI Brokers - avoid!

Poster: A snowHead
nbt wrote:

On another note, can anyone recommend alternative brokers who offer good insurance should we decide to ski off piste?

I've used Snowcard in the past - although never needed to claim, so not sure how helpful this is in light of the issues the OP is having with claims. They look to be brokers that use Allianz underneath. Costs, while not rock bottom, were competitive enough - and I don't think lowest price in these instances is useful, as others have said. They vary the premium deepening on activity - interestingly snowboarding requires a higher level of cover than skiing. Go figure. Maybe the've been watching my 15yo son... Laughing

I'll use these guys again when I sort out my insurance for the bash.

https://www.snowcard.co.uk
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@aberdeenski, snowcard won't cover preexisting conditions though otherwise they are very good
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt wrote:
On another note, can anyone recommend alternative brokers who offer good insurance should we decide to ski off piste?

In recent years I've been using LV based on research (we ski off piste without a guide). Haven't had to make a claim though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Origen wrote:
Did they authorize the expenditure, @Bergmeister? Have they acknowledged your claim?

There was no requirement for the expenditure to be authorised as the claim did not exceed €1000, nor was I admitted to hospital. Either scenario would have required me to contact MPI at the time, via their emergency assistance number.

My claim was acknowledged in May and I received a letter advising me that (despite my claim being based on my Mastercard exchange rate - ie in Pounds Sterling) MPI would settle the claim using Oanda (new to me) exchange rates, unless I sent them a copy of my credit card statement. When I checked online the Oanda rates were only slightly lower than Mastercard so I decided to settle for those.

Despite a request from me for an update 4 weeks ago, I am yet to hear anything further. I tried to telephone MPI's Head Office today but was unable to speak to anyone despite half a dozen attempts to do so.

Suffice to say I am far from impressed. I am not ruling out involving the Ombudsman....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This sounds very bad. I shall certainly not be going back to MPI now. (They know about this thread, by the way.)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
They know about this thread, by the way

Good, as thats the whole point if it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm currently wondering if they're still trading as no-one is answering the phones at head office or in the claims department. Will try the sales line to see if they can at least tell me either way

EDIT - nope. Head office rings out then disconnects. Other lines switch to a voice messaging service. This is not giving me much hope

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 15-08-24 15:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a pity if they've gone under, as they'd obviously tried to offer a good service. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm website invites you to click to another website, where the about says:

ClearSkies Travel Insurance is a trading name of MPI Brokers which was formed in 2002 to provide clear uncomplicated travel insurance.

and a bit further down says the following, I wonder if they are changing how claims are handled? Are any of the folk with issues trying to deal with MPI or IM Global?

When making a claim you will be working with IM Global for either ‘Insure With Ease’ or ‘Good To Go’ – these are the insurance schemes ClearSkies work with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, which website? MPI website still OK for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, If you click on 'Quote' the website takes you to ClearSkies

@nbt - Clearskies have the same address as MPI - this is Clearskies tel no = 01428 772 722
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@albob, Ah, thanks for clarifying
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, the MPI website said it was down and had a link to Clearskies when I originally posted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, thanks, that number is also ringing out and going to answerphone
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah Consultant - Caroline Stuart-Taylor. One begins to see where the money may have gone.....
ski holidays
Looks like the FCA is taking a look.

https://register.fca.org.uk/s/firm?id=001b000000MfXFLAA3#what-can-this-firm-do-restrictions

According to the mpi website, it appears that the underwriter was based outside the UK.
ski holidays
So an update and a request for advice. Still no payout on my claim. Have tried to phone and email. Nothing. The phone line’s call waiting spiel seems to be broken. Have used their online complaints form twice - even that doesn’t work properly as the request for a copy of the complaint does not materialise. I have been doing a bit of investigating and came across this on the FCA register. It seems to suggest some recent restriction on its services. But am not sure whether this is relevant or not? https://register.fca.org.uk/s/firm?id=001b000000MfXFLAA3#what-can-this-firm-do-restrictions
snow report
@snowdave, Sorry had not read your post. Looks like I will have to appeal to the ombudsman…
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, what is it with Caroline Stuart-Taylor?
latest report
@Wendyjh, I believe she had something to do with the Ski Club of Great Britain.
snow report
Former chief exec of SCGB and consultant to MPI and involved in snow camp.
ski holidays
My speculation as to what’s happened here (based on the FCA statement) is that the FCA took exception to MPI using an underwriter based outside the UK and thus not regulated by the FCA.

I think that what now happens is that anyone with an existing policy should get a pro rata refund (unless MPI finds a new underwriter). Anyone with a claim underway is supposed to be protected by the FSCS. Which may partly explain the FCA concern, because if non U.K. regulated overseas underwriters can fall back onto the U.K. protections, it could be a cheap way of doing business in the U.K. without paying the usual regulatory costs.
snow report
@snowdave, can you see who their underwriter is? That sister site of theirs appears to be using an American company - international medical group
snow report
Found this on the website https://www.mpibrokers.com/documents/MPI%20underwriters%20-%20Description.pdf
latest report
@kitenski, International Medical Group appear to be the claims handlers
snow report
@Wendyjh, attach a link. They mention Bahrain, Paris and Canada as bases for their underwriters! https://mpibrokers.com/documents/MPI%20underwriters%20-%20Description.pdf
snow report
@kitenski, I can’t see who the specific underwriter for each policy type is, apart from Swan named generally in the link. @Wendyjh, Should have a policy document that names the underwriter.

The FCA announcement also says that Mpi has to write to each customer to notify them, doesn’t sound like that’s happened yet.
snow conditions
Quote:
International Medical Group appear to be the claims handlers
That was the case for Mrs MA's MPI claim in spring 2023.

We had a few hiccups with them (and later with MPI regarding elements of the claim) as it involved repatriation from Japan after an off-piste injury but, ultimately, were satisfied with the service and cover provided.

Will be a shame if they've gone bust as they provide good off piste cover in particular.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When MPI were not issuing new policies a few years ago, they said it was because they were looking for new underwriters. I wonder why this has been such a problem for them? They must surely be throwing in the towel this time, why else would they have shut down all communication channels? A pity, as they used to be great.
latest report
@Hurtle, the mark of a respectable business and businessman is in fulfillment of obligations when there is no more money to be made. This really doesn't reflect well on Michael Pettifer at the moment. Costs almost nothing to email shot customers.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Hurtle, the mark of a respectable business and businessman is in fulfillment of obligations when there is no more money to be made. This really doesn't reflect well on Michael Pettifer at the moment. Costs almost nothing to email shot customers.
Totally agreed. I wouldn't go back to them now for that reason, even if they do manage to sort themselves out.
snow report
Nothing lasts forever.
ski holidays
I have annual travel insurance through MPI which should cover me for a trip on the European mainland in September.

Online services seem to be suspended. https://bolt.mpibrokers.com/ states
Quote:
This site is down for maintenance. It will be operational again shortly.

Using the link from when I purchased the policy I can get to the page where I can manage my insurance policies but the history is blank with no policies shown. I have not heard anything from MPI about the policy.

Reading this thread I am now not sure whether I am covered even though I have current annual travel insurance. After all, one of the things you want from travel insurance is assistance when things go wrong.
snow report
@bolderz, whilst you might technically be covered I would be looking to have another policy in place.
ski holidays
Absolutely. All the signs are that MPI are going under. Or have gone....
snow report
I filled in a contact form on their website yesterday to notify them of a change of address and had an email from them today and replied to it.
snow report
@bolderz, MPI are (or possibly were) a broker not an insurer. Provided they passed on your original premium you ought to still be covered. (Although not sure of the position if the FCA are suggesting the insurers weren't authorised to write UK business).

If you got details of a policy / contract when you took out your annual insurance you might be able to contact the issuer to check if you are still covered.
snow report
@ecureuil, given the origin of this thread was someone highlighting how their claim is being completely ignored, even if you're technically "covered", being unable to claim makes it coverage of the chocolate teapot variety.
snow report
Can you insure against .... failure of an insurance company? The summary is here about what happens, should that occur (I'm not saying it has occurred in any case listed here, I'm just curious):
https://www.fscs.org.uk/making-a-claim/claims-process/failed-ins-co-next/

My reading of that is that if you've a policy it'll either be replaced with the like, or refunded pro-rata. And if you have an "in flight" claim, that's handled by the insolvency. I'm not sure if any of those give you better status than a standard creditor, from a quick read of that. I'd expect you would have some preferential status, else what is the "protection" for?
ski holidays
@snowdave, but the problem here is that the intermediary / broker isn't responding. If you can contact the insurer directly they may still be prepared to pay out on the claim.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy