Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walking holiday - French Alps - ideas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have done lots of walking in French alps especially Vanoise National Park. Did day walks from Tignes, Bourg St Maurice or Meribel or longer of about 4 days staying in the refuges. We have walked many of the pistes we ski in winter. Look at Vanoise NP site for info.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FranzKlammer, I was going to suggest the GR54 too. We managed without a tent but it’s a major undertaking with some blind faith required when it comes to finding accommodation.

Also done the TdMB. Lots of scenery but lots of people about - even when we did it late summer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ryunis, do hut to hut. Some basic equipment like proper walking boots, a backpack and walking sticks.
Did this in FR, IT, CH, AT - it is all great, best avoid peak times. Beautiful all round.
If IT, would suggest this option in Northern Italy - you can choose 3,4,5,6 days or longer treks. Wonderfull food. Just take a tour that is a circle, much easier in terms of logistics. Send them an inquiry telling which day you want to start, from where and they will book all the huts for you - much easier the first time round. Run by local tourist office:
http://www.tourdessix.it/homepage.asp?l=3
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mooney058, I would add a silk sheet sleeping bag and good waterproofs your list. I recall one July walking to the entre de lac hut near la plagne (on gr5) and it snowed and I've been caught in some horrendous thunder storms in the dolomites.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

proper walking boots

Or get with the times and use some nice trail running shoes NehNeh (half joking, but me and many others could never go back to those boots).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Firstly, I'd say that it's a great idea. The Alps are beautiful in summer - I almost prefer it.
Secondly, I'd also suggest that the Chamonix/Mont Blanc area, while stunning, should be avoided. It's simply too busy. I like being able to walk, enjoy the views and get lost in my thoughts, not spend the whole time looking out for others on the trail.

re destinations, don't rule out France. I was in Les 3 Vallees last year in August - theoretically high season - and for most of my hike (started in Courchevel 1300, went up the Courchevel valley, then across Meribel, over to VT, down to Les Menuires with two nights in refuges (both easy to book) saw almost no one. It was only on the busier, car-park accessible sections that there were more hikers.

http://youtube.com/v/ulDPiGJY1mw

Slightly more expensive but I also had a great hike in the Val d'Anniviers a couple of years ago. I started in Sierre, but you can easily take the bus and start in Grimenz, St Luc or Zinal. Great trails, all well sign-posted, either stay in town or in refuges, ranging from posh (Weisshorn) to more typical dorm rooms and not too many people around. That trip was in July.

http://youtube.com/v/tBeXKrbNvPQ
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are booked to do this for first time for us in July. Although I would have loved to have gone to Austrua, the availability and price if flights to Geneva is why we are doing France.

We are in and aparta-hotel place a train ride from Chamonix in Vallorcine. The accommodation gives you a pass for the valley train.

https://www.booking.com/Share-wTTzhyx

We have a hire car booked from Geneva using Enterprise as specifically states includes cross border for no extra charge.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swskier wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
do a hut to hut walking tour!
basically spend 5-7 days traveling light between alpine huts (who cook your dinner and breakfast).
something like Tour du Mont Blanc or Tour de Vanoise would be reasonable suggestions.

Good luck booking huts on the Tour du Mont Blanc though without going via an operator! From what i've read on Facebook groups, it's very difficult without booking months and months in advance.

In the Zillertal we have a shorter version, the Berliner Höhenweg. 86km usually spread across about 5 days. It's also very easy to do just sections of it and get a bus back to Mayrhofen as you cross multiple valleys which are well served by buses.

https://www.tirol.at/reisefuehrer/sport/wandern/wandertouren/a-wanderung-berliner-hoehenweg

Not sure you need months but it will depend exactly when you are going. I booked huts between Chamonix and Courmayeur using the TMB website for July 2022 about a month ahead.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

proper walking boots

Or get with the times and use some nice trail running shoes NehNeh (half joking, but me and many others could never go back to those boots).

I have both. Two pairs of each. Only take my approach shoes if I am not doing to much vertical, only if I am on a day trek. For multi day treks and especially if it involves higher and steeper sections - always the full boot option. Had heavy rain, snow on steep sections and appreciated the full support of proper boots. On one trip we had +33 down in Aosta and heavy snow when going a few days later over a high mountain pass. If in doubt - proper boots only

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
re shoes, I've been round twice just in trail shoes. You definitely get snow in the earlier months, but mud can be an issue in summer. Whatever, have good grips on your shoes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy