Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brit skier, 31, killed Italian ex-mayor after crashing into him

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
shot-peening

Translation for non-petrol heads?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_peening
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@halfhand, still none the wiser wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That was a very, very complex case but still the legal system in place wanted to put a name and responsibility in conclusion, with penalty applied.

The parallel here is that nobody set out to take the life of the racing drivers (there were two that weekend) both choosing to take part in the activities that ultimately compromised their safety, still there was legal "need" to come up with responsible persons.

The skier is more simple, if there was not good evidence to indicate the deceased played a part, then it's the other person at fault. He's going to need significant facts to prevent him being recorded as such.

It does, unfortunately here, give a different optic to the discussion of which participant was at fault on the usual forum discussion of topic. Also impacts the requirement for insurance covering this in Italy.

If more people were exposed to this level of scrutiny, then they'd likely ski with more observation.

Unusual to have someone "appear out of nowhere" on a ski slope, whatever the brit guy claims.

Food's probably good in Italian prison though Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:

Its a conditioning process to gain the most amount of "strength" from materials used in critical load design, like suspension components etc.

Typically used when low weight & high strength are needed within the same component. The material can be minimised but enhanced (through peening) to bring those opposing attributes to a best defined peak.

For example, a helicopter blade would be completely in this relm with so many stress input and need to be as light as possible.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:

Some people do need to be spoonfed wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski3, I see. Interesting. How does the process, which appears to be a physical one, achieve this?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski3, Interesting and a bit concerning. Say I am skiing on an empty piste in Italy. Someone comes screaming in behind me and hits me, killing themselves and injuring me. No witnesses. The dead person can't admit fault. I am defacto guilty under the Italian legal system unless I can prove it was the fault of the deceased?

Presumably if the deceased had hit a tree, mother nature wouldn't be the responsible person. Why does it change?

It's not mad as a starting principle but nevertheless I'd expect the bar to be fairly high before we're talking sanctions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, assuming this is a correct explanation of Italian law, I guess this may be like a coroner establishing the cause of death, rather than a court considering criminal liability? Maybe @ski3 can confirm?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, wasn't it Italian law that threw a load of geologists in jail a few years ago for not predicting an earthquake? I'm not sure what happened with that. They may be still there...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, yes, a different view within their stance and implementation of the law to ours here.

I've no particular knowledge of their legal system, so can't elaborate on that specifically, just that the machinations through that motorsport event were extremely tortured.

Loosely though, the car was obviously smashed but people tried to make judgement of broken components and if they'd broken before or as result of impact.
They'd started tethering wheel and suspension components to the car in that period, this to safeguard spectators from having crashed components injure them, ultimately to have one of those parts still attached to the car cause the fatal injury.
The driver's ask for the car to be set in their demand etc, etc the who, how, why can extend to so many aspect. Their judiciary still wanted a name or names to conclude the process though.

In terms of slope safety, surely a good reason to at least hear someone approach you when scooting around.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, They were cleared on appeal, but I think it took a couple of years of legal grief. It does seem to be a rather odd system.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ster wrote:
@ski3, I see. Interesting. How does the process, which appears to be a physical one, achieve this?

Yes, you're correct, a physical process.

When a metal component is manufactured it'll have marks usually from that process. If youve a car, then the suspension will have these, which can just be left in place because they allowed for that by ordinarily adding more material to mitigate those mark causing problems.

If the components need to be as light as possible, those marks are very unwelcome. Peening literally (in simplest form) fires hardened spherical material in small size at the surface to micro "hammer" it, a little like a blacksmith in miniature.

This compressive impact refines the surface by compression to literally beat all the machining imperfections into recombination with the core material, taking away fissures that would propagate a minor fault into a stress fracture event of the component.

It's obviously into high detail component structure and consequently seen on marginal performance component to best balance attributes. Aircraft being a prime user of such level processes in balance of weight vs durability.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy