Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, in my teens, in Scotland, I used to do my own. That was a long time ago!

The only people I know who do their own are a bunch of very serious masters racers. And they take it to the extreme.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you for all the standoffish replies, at best some were moderately semi-useful, and others were not even that. I guess as a beginner skier I was wasting my time joining this forum.

Also thank you all for showing me that snowheads is essentially the Warrington Ski Club Mk2.

As for your 'bash' having seen what you are all like in that 2018 video, it's obvious you are just a more rowdy Warrington Ski Club, and I'll never be joining you on one, and will be far happier on my own on holiday skiing solo - with my new skis' I'll be getting in October.

BTW, FWIW, I've always been very VERY good at recognising people even in a crowd, so with that 2018 video, I can now put faces to names, so if I ever see any of you at a resort in a gondola or chair que I'll do my best to avoid sharing a gondola or chair with any of you.

Goodbye.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn wrote:
I have a feeling that I enjoy dreaming and talking about skis more than I actualy enjoy skiing on them.
Weird that....
But I'm not the only one.

I know that all of us on this forum just love to ski, so rather than trample on this great thread I'm going to start another. Just to explian my thoughts.

Personally I don't even like skiing that much just talking about it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me&MySkis wrote:
Thank you for all the standoffish replies, at best some were moderately semi-useful, and others were not even that. I guess as a beginner skier I was wasting my time joining this forum.

Also thank you all for showing me that snowheads is essentially the Warrington Ski Club Mk2.

As for your 'bash' having seen what you are all like in that 2018 video, it's obvious you are just a more rowdy Warrington Ski Club, and I'll never be joining you on one, and will be far happier on my own on holiday skiing solo - with my new skis' I'll be getting in October.

BTW, FWIW, I've always been very VERY good at recognising people even in a crowd, so with that 2018 video, I can now put faces to names, so if I ever see any of you at a resort in a gondola or chair que I'll do my best to avoid sharing a gondola or chair with any of you.

Goodbye.
Sad Sad Sad
Any chance of some details for this Warrington ski club please ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Me&MySkis,
Quote:

I was wasting my time joining this forum.

The time wasted was not yours but that of people who tried to help you. There are quite a few nasty people knocking around on the forum at the moment, sadly, and you are certainly up there with them. I'm sure that most people will be glad to be shot of you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Me&MySkis wrote:

Goodbye.

TFFT.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So what brought all that on? rolling eyes rolling eyes Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, he's a bit of a character.

As hurtle said we seem to be attracting a few of those recently - although tbf stanton's been here for years Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Me&MySkis wrote:

Goodbye.

Classic flounceo
GIRFUY Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, ah, I should have looked up that earlier thread. I now slightly regret being so harsh, the guy has had a hard time in life and obviously has some ongoing problems. People on the earlier thread did rather go on and ON about the preBB, when he so clearly wasn't interested: snowHeads can sometimes kill with kindness.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a shame for him to leave, snowheads really is quite a one off resource now with a hell of a lot of knowledge at hand be it from current members or from old posts.

Almost all other messageboards I've used in the past have been replaced by facebook groups and it's dire.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, well one assumes he wouldn't have read your comment.

TBH, I think he got the info/needed he wanted despite what he said.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Me&MySkis wrote:
Thank you for all the standoffish replies, at best some were moderately semi-useful, and others were not even that.
Well that's rather rude and ungracious of you.
Having read through the thread, I see a lot of people have made the effort to give you some really helpful advice.
However you appear to be someone who has arrived with a bunch of preconceptions and your mind already made up, so while you presented as seeking advice, it seems you really were only looking to be told that you were right. Unfortunately, in a number of respects, you're not.
Quote:
I guess as a beginner skier I was wasting my time joining this forum.
No, not at all. There have actually been many beginner skiers who joined snowHeads and received all the advice, practical help and personal support they could have ever dreamed of. Many are now seasoned snowHeads passing on help to others.
Quote:
I guess as someone who asks for advice and gets the hump when I get it, I was wasting my time joining any forum.
FIFY
Quote:

I must check them out then - they sound nice snowHead
Quote:

As for your 'bash' having seen what you are all like in that 2018 video, it's obvious you are just a more rowdy Warrington Ski Club, and I'll never be joining you on one,
Phew! Bullet dodged rolling eyes
Quote:
and will be far happier on my own on holiday skiing solo
Agreed - probably best to stay that way.
Quote:
- with my new skis' I'll be getting in October.
I hope you'll be very happy together.
Quote:

BTW, FWIW, I've always been very VERY good at recognising people even in a crowd, so with that 2018 video, I can now put faces to names,
Well no, clearly you can't! That's such a silly thing to say. Go on - tell me the usernames of 5 snowHeads who feature in that video that have also had the audacity to offer you advice on this thread? There are >60,000 snowHeads and there were 100 or so of them on that bash - so which, of the snowHeads who offended you by making the effort to help you were in that vid?
Quote:
so if I ever see any of you at a resort in a gondola or chair que I'll do my best to avoid sharing a gondola or chair with any of you.

Goodbye.
and.... flounceo

--
snowHeads - more rowdy than Warrington Ski Club
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, mmm, I wouldn't mind betting most flounceos can't resist going back for a little peek from time to time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
@Layne, ah, I should have looked up that earlier thread. I now slightly regret being so harsh, the guy has had a hard time in life and obviously has some ongoing problems. People on the earlier thread did rather go on and ON about the preBB, when he so clearly wasn't interested: snowHeads can sometimes kill with kindness.

It's a shame though because across both threads all people were doing was trying to help someone new to the sport they all love. Plus the whole point is seeking advice is to be able to choose which parts are potentially of use to you and which to disregard.

Also it seems Me&MySkis had a negative experience previously with a ski club in Warrington and it's rather tainted his view of skiers in general.
ski holidays
Oh lordy, lordy, even managed to catch a raw admin nerve. Laughing
latest report
Me&MySkis wrote:

Goodbye.

Oh great another spectacular flounceo we haven't had one in a while Laughing

As I expect you'll be back to revisit your posts I would say people on both your threads have been genuinely happy for you for your keenness in skiing. Indeed, besides the trolls on apres most people are here because they really love skiing and snowsports and want to talk about in a not always serious, sometimes opinionated but usually genuine way. People were just trying to give you good advice from their own considerable experience and a steer on where your pre-conceptions might take you i.e. to a place where skiing was not as fun or more costly etc than it might be.

We get you are a natural loner. It might surprise you that lots of people on Bashes also are. But as you've painted your own stereotype with no actual exposure you'll never find out. I often think an old Android ad slogan applies "Be together, not the same"
snow report
Me&MySkis wrote:
Yeah, he's a sesoned skier, and works for Snow + Rock, and all of you don't. wink

No, most of the people who are responding to you are too busy skiing throughout the season.

Me&MySkis wrote:
I guess as a beginner skier I was wasting my time joining this forum.

Not at all, plenty of beginners have joined this forum and got a lot of useful advice and progressed. I myself joined having only had one ski trip and have benefitted from a lot of the advice from those here...I've also chosen to ignore some of that advice without getting my arse in my hands or slagging people off (and yes, I usually regretted ignoring the advice, especially when it came to buying my first pair of skis after only a few weeks skiing).

Me&MySkis wrote:

Laughing I've been on bashes with my mum and dad, they might have been a bit rowdy back in the day but not so much in their 70s.....well, dad isn't at least. Bashes are mostly variable enough to suit all types. There are the shy retiring types, the noisy types, those who ski first lift to last lift, those who are more laid back, people who like a long lunch, people who snack on the lifts, people who ski in a big group and people who ski alone...there are even some weirdos that walk up the hills and others who stand sideways. The only consistent feature is that they love sliding on snow and are welcoming of all.

Me&MySkis wrote:

I'll be wearing a snowheads buff and have some stickers on my helmet, so pop over and say hi. I might even pop into CF next time I'm in the area.
latest report
@Me&MySkis, you should pop into the Scottish independence thread, I think you’ll feel right at home.
snow report
WTF is a flounceo?

Grow up FFS
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
WTF is a flounceo?

It's what Wayneo does when he leaves Snowheads.

Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Grow up FFS

Is that directed at Me&MySkis or us Snowheads?
ski holidays
@Whitegoldsbrother, even I didn’t have to Google “flounceo”! NehNeh
snow conditions
After using hire skis of varying quality (mainly good to excellent), since I started skiing over twenty years ago, I've finally bitten the bullet and got some of my own ready for next season. I've always enjoyed trying the different skis, often nearly new, seeing how things change over the years, and the different gizmos and go-faster tech appearing, and just as fast, disappearing. I've always taken on board the advice of more experienced, regular skiers than myself, either by talking to them, or reading through articles and being on forums like this one. I've also always admitted to myself that my skiing has room for improvement, and try not to be complacent with where I think I am ability-wise. I might have plateaued speed-wise, but my general style and technical ability can definitely be tweaked.

Part of the joy of a skiing holiday has been going to the hire shop with my boots, watching the tech pick out a set of appropriate skis from the lucky dip of makes, adjusting them to suit, and me carrying them off with a grin on my face (the skis, not the tech!). Also, the thought of not having to cart them from home to resort, and them being freshly serviced and waxed when I got my grubby mitts on them felt good too (again, the skis, not the tech!). A bit of me is going to miss all that.

If you sneak back to read this thread, I'm sure your new skis will be fine, and I hope you get a lot of use out of them, both in CF and in resorts.

Anyway, what's the German equivalent for 'flounceo'? 'Vlaunsefahren'? No, that actually means 'fun driving'.

Thanks to Google translate, we have 'Erregt stürmen', or 'Storm excitedly'. We have a winner!
ski holidays
@MajorQ, excellent post!

My fave German is “turboschlaff” - often found beside motorways
ski holidays
I think the vibe right from the start was that a flounceo was probably incoming. Shame.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@MajorQ, excellent post!

My fave German is “turboschlaff” - often found beside motorways

Laughing Laughing Never come across that….probably driving too fast whilst Tagträumen… Laughing
snow report
@Jäger, it's a Swiss thing wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy