Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you cancel??

Poster: A snowHead
(b) As there is nothing to beat a ski holiday.

No debate required Very Happy

It boils down to whether you love skiing, or not. If you regard your ski trips as a holiday with some skiing - cancel. If you regard your trips as a ski holiday where you make the most of the available conditions - go for it.

We are firmly in the latter camp - and would always prefer to ski than not to ski.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it were me…

I would keep the booking till March 2. Nothing gained by cancelling now only to watch snow storm after snow storm blanketing the area between now and then.

If, by March 2, there’s still nothing on the ground, I’d take another look at the forecast. It would take a fairly big storm or two, or three, to make for good skiing. If there’re a few lined up, I’d chance it. Otherwise, make alternate plans.

Basically, give weather a good chance to develop. Only when it’s clear none are coming, that I would cancel. The generous cancellation deadline makes it easy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't be cancelling. It's still early and conditions can change. I've been on trips where just a week before arriving, the pistes were green/brown fields but by the time we arrived 80-90% were open.

If you're really concerned, cancel the current booking and rebook somewhere high where precipitation is more likely to be snow.

Worst case, I'd take walking/cycling gear; a plan I've has several times but never had to deploy.

Any day skiing, is better than a day working.Thats something I had to tell myself for the first 4 days of a recent trip when it rained; days 5-7 were good and 8-13 were great. Things change quickly in the mountains.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It boils down to whether you love skiing, or not. If you regard your ski trips as a holiday with some skiing - cancel. If you regard your trips as a ski holiday where you make the most of the available conditions - go for it.

Strange outlook. You can only love something if you are prepared to suffer through something at it's absolute worst? Honestly, skiing in rubbish conditions isn't fun. Yes you can "make the most of it" but why bother if you don't have to?

Especially when presumably none of us have unlimited time and money.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dazman wrote:
Just back from great week in Solden...conditions up high were brilliant but as the week went on, Spring was creeping up the mountain very quickly.

There was a lot of brown and green showing everywhere when we left on Saturday morning.

We've the week of the 16th of March booked for Ischgl and by the looks its gonna take several some massive weather fronts to fill in the blanks and I kinda have the feeling last week is as good as it's gonna get.

We've got until the 2nd of the March to cancel and I'm more than prepared to wait...my question to you is.

If there's no change in the weather would you??

(a) Ah balls to it...cancel.

(b) Ah balls to it...we're going anyway.

(c) Ah balls to it....head for the sun.

Wait until 2nd March. If conditions have improved and the 2 week outlook is positive hang on to it. If the conditions and outlook are dire, cancel it and book last minute sonewhere conditions are better or do something else.

However note that Sod’s Law means that if you cancel it will inevitably snow 50cm in Ischgl on 16th March and then be bluebird all week snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cancel and rebook if it turns out ok, plenty late deals in high resorts, or DIY
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Strange outlook. You can only love something if you are prepared to suffer through something at it's absolute worst? Honestly, skiing in rubbish conditions isn't fun. Yes you can "make the most of it" but why bother if you don't have to?

I can't think of a single day where I'd consider that I'd suffered going skiing !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blackblade wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I can't think of a single day where I'd consider that I'd suffered going skiing !

Perhaps "suffering" is a bit too strong (although snowboarding in -25, and in rain were both pretty miserable). You can argue that a poor day skiing is still a better day than the office, I won't disagree with the sentiment. The question becomes is skiing in bad conditions worth the time and money? I don't agree that saying no to that means you don't love skiing. There are lots of things I love, but there is a limit when it becomes not enjoyable or worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blackblade wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I can.

But I learned from those lessons. Now I know when not to bother.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can.

Skiing in a literal white out in Hochgurgl two years ago, the piste under the fresh snow comprised solid ice lumps froze to the base. My face got smashed up.

Next time, give up for the day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
@dazman, you didn't phrase you OP/question very well IMO hence the misunderstandings.

As I say if I was restricted to a certain week I would book and accept what conditions were handed.

If I could leave it late, as I often could before kids, I wouldn't have booked at this point but would just be waiting to see when conditions improved then book a few days before.

In your position I would certainly go b.

What part of...

"We've got until the 2nd of the March to cancel and I'm more than prepared to wait...my question to you is.

(c) Ah balls to it....head for the sun."

...was too hard to understand???
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
Blackblade wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps "suffering" is a bit too strong (although snowboarding in -25, and in rain were both pretty miserable). You can argue that a poor day skiing is still a better day than the office, I won't disagree with the sentiment. The question becomes is skiing in bad conditions worth the time and money? I don't agree that saying no to that means you don't love skiing. There are lots of things I love, but there is a limit when it becomes not enjoyable or worth it.

Fair point; I think the cost/benefit analysis is right. Clearly, there's a point ... probably different based on personal circumstances ... where the costs start to outweigh the benefits. I wasn't trying to imply that I'd pay an infinite amount of money for a week's skiing (to take it to the extreme to make the point). So, yes, we agree and I certainly wasn't trying to make the point that you HAD to ski in all possible conditions to love skiing. Sorry if that was the impression.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dazman, I get where Layne is coming from and, like him, I'd say the same - if you have no choice about when and where to go, go for it, and make the best of it. But if you can cancel without penalty and then re-assess where, and when, and WHETHER to go, then that might be a better option. 2 March was a long time away when you wrote, and in weather forecasting terms, it's still a long way off.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dazman wrote:
Layne wrote:
@dazman, you didn't phrase you OP/question very well IMO hence the misunderstandings.

As I say if I was restricted to a certain week I would book and accept what conditions were handed.

If I could leave it late, as I often could before kids, I wouldn't have booked at this point but would just be waiting to see when conditions improved then book a few days before.

What part of...

I think the question was clear but, in fairness, what you didn't state was whether YOU were committed to the week of March 16th for other reasons. If you don't go then can you go at another time or is that it ... either that week or not at all ? I think that does rather change the equation. Despite everything I said about going anyway if I had the option to be flexible as to week then I'd probably wait for the best conditions and then go.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you choice is ski or cancel and go to work-I know which one I would choose!
snow report
dazman wrote:
Layne wrote:

What part of...

"We've got until the 2nd of the March to cancel and I'm more than prepared to wait...my question to you is.

Well you literally said yourself "I also think a lot of folk misread my question too"
snow report
Option c if there is no change in weather. Not worth going just for half days skiing as afternoons are an ugly slush fest. There will hardly be anything left if things don’t change in next 2 weeks, definitely a short season for many resorts if the snow gods don’t visit soon.
snow report
Does it involve you missing a potential grand slam match against Scotland though?

I would never, ever turn down Ischgl in March. It would just be idiotic. They keep the pistes great and that ring of blacks is some of the best rinse and repeat served steep around.

I'm a stickler for good conditions and routinely go last minute to get them, but I've never not enjoyed skiing, be it t-shirts in Sierra Nevada first time I went, t-shirts in Passo Tonale two weeks ago (early Feb, we are f00ked, , Sad ), squeaky pistes last mid May in Hintertux, or even self powered on fireroad in Dublin mountains during that interminable lockdown thing they inflicted on us.

Option b for ever. You may be dead next year.

Gotta catch the grand slam mind. There may be one or two other inconsequential matches first obv, but....
latest report
I don't think I've experienced perfect conditions often. A few days perhaps? We normally go in February because of half term and t-shirt skiing is far from unusual. Last year was a slush fest below 2000m and crowded above. The one time it was cold it was really cold (-24 c) and windy with it - the lifts were shut for a couple of days which was perhaps not a bad thing as the day before I got blown UP a blue run in a blizzard and my beard froze. Are we having fun yet?

Still great being in the mountains and I wouldn't miss a chance to go skiing. Perhaps with more opportunity I would be more selective.
ski holidays
I've been out of Tirol for a month now, but it looks like Ischgl currently has plenty of snow and definitely enough that even valley runs will stay open until the end of the season. Ischgl is generally great late season: it's high, lots of north-facing slopes, and gets (and has received already earlier this season) decent amounts of snow. Even the last couple of (pretty poor, probably worse than this winter) seasons, I've had excellent skiing in Ischgl right at the end of the season.

I don't think you need to cancel, or worry, or change destination. TBH I would expect Ischgl to have better conditions than Sölden rn. Sölden is pretty much all west-facing, ie gets lots of strong sun.
snow report
Layne wrote:
dazman wrote:
Layne wrote:

What part of...

Well you literally said yourself "I also think a lot of folk misread my question too"

Yeah, sorry @dazman, but I'm inclined to side with @Layne on this one.

In your initial post, you said "we've got until the 2nd of the March to cancel and I'm more than prepared to wait". I took that to mean "wait and see what conditions are like before deciding whether to cancel or not".

I certainly didn't read that as "I'm going one way or the other" as you stated in a subsequent post. Far from it.

Hence, I believe, the confusion.
ski holidays
When “a lot of folks misread” the question, it’s time to say the writer did not write it clearly enough.
snow report
I would go anyway, things can change, and If I had a ski holiday booked, unless I was injured I would go. Sadly I have a trip to champoluc booked, for mid march, just a few days, but I ruptured my Acl, tore my MCl, and PCl, on the last ski trip and have to stay home. My exercise now is going to be a stationary bike and trips to my Physio, and I would love even spring snow.
latest report
@dazman, isn't Ischgl all about the party, does the snow conditions really matter as long as you can do a pub crawl snowHead
latest report
8611 wrote:
Does it involve you missing a potential grand slam match against Scotland though?

I would never, ever turn down Ischgl in March. It would just be idiotic. They keep the pistes great and that ring of blacks is some of the best rinse and repeat served steep around.

I'm a stickler for good conditions and routinely go last minute to get them, but I've never not enjoyed skiing, be it t-shirts in Sierra Nevada first time I went, t-shirts in Passo Tonale two weeks ago (early Feb, we are f00ked, , Sad ), squeaky pistes last mid May in Hintertux, or even self powered on fireroad in Dublin mountains during that interminable lockdown thing they inflicted on us.

Option b for ever. You may be dead next year.

Gotta catch the grand slam mind. There may be one or two other inconsequential matches first obv, but....

This does actually have an influence on my travel plans!!...I'll be in the Aviva this Saturday firstly.
And we've been in Ischgl in March I'd say easily, 10-12 times.

St Patricks Day in the Kitzloch is quite the do....all invited.
snow report
Sounds cheap as chips so absolutely no requirement to cancel. Enjoy the time away with the family however it may be.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy