Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste injury - how to get down to village

Poster: A snowHead
rjstua wrote:
Hils68 wrote:
rjstua wrote:
Interesting topic, so thanks OP for asking the question.

Where would I buy Carré Neige in La Plagne, is it something you tend to buy at the ski pass office? I can't seem to find anywhere to order it on the la-plagne.com website

You buy it at the lift pass station … not sure about on line but it’s around €3 per day per person

top man, I'll pick those up for the family when I arrive!

If buying online you can add it on also, check availability but they were doing a discount until 15th

[url=https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/discount-ski][/url]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jarji wrote:
rjstua wrote:
Hils68 wrote:
rjstua wrote:
Interesting topic, so thanks OP for asking the question.

Where would I buy Carré Neige in La Plagne, is it something you tend to buy at the ski pass office? I can't seem to find anywhere to order it on the la-plagne.com website

You buy it at the lift pass station … not sure about on line but it’s around €3 per day per person

top man, I'll pick those up for the family when I arrive!

If buying online you can add it on also, check availability but they were doing a discount until 15th

[url=https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/discount-ski][/url]

Too late, they have already been purchased by Ski Famile on our behalf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On Bashes where admin buys the lift passes and that kind of extra insurance is available, he very kindly asks whether people want to buy it as an add-on. I always do in France for extra peace of mind, particularly since it doesn't cost much.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
adithorp wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@adithorp, the leg was at full stank that afternoon Laughing you'll be pleased to know that the story got wheeled out at least 4 times in Alleghe.

In a derogatory fashion I hope Puzzled

Is there any other way?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjstua, often when buying a pass on-line, there is an additional tick/check box to add the Carre Neige. Otherwise as has been mentioned,it can be added at the lift pass office.

The benefit of buying it all on-line, means you have an electronic copy of the receipt which you can keep on your phone. This makes it easy to prove you have the insurance if required but also makes replacing a lost lift pass much easier without having to find that annoying little paper receipt.

I think the Carre Neige makes it easier to claim a refund on unused lift tickets and if I recall, doesn't charge an excess.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I broke my shoulder I skied off but did fall again and very chance it made it worst as it really hurt when I fell. Thought I’d be fine but in hindsight not a good idea.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I broke my shoulder I skied off but did fall again and very chance it made it worst as it really hurt when I fell. Thought I’d be fine but in hindsight not a good idea.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Both times I've broken my leg skiing I've skied it out. Rule 5.*

Mind you I did call patrol to fetch my ski from a creek gully as I wasn't up to hiking down for it.

* this is not the wisest but the human body needs a better OBDII port that can distinguish between tweak and you've broken something.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^^^
Girl I used to ski with landed a 20 footer badly and skied a further couple of runs on a compound femur fracture before she noticed the blood on her ski pants. Nails.

I skied half a mile back to the piste on one ski with a torn calf muscle. I then went to bits. It has usually taken me at two hours or so to recognise that I'm too badly hurt to ski with more minor injuries (strains, meniscus damage).

Point is that decision making goes to poo-poo when injured and it's quite important to stop injured friends from doing stupid stuff when hurt.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hils68, your experience and thought process sound similar to mine last year, though I was able to ski down in a reasonably normal fashion. If I had the insurance on the lift pass, I wouldn't have hesitated to call for assistance and I will have the extra cover on my next trip just in case.

Anyway, I saw a local doctor who decided I was still in one piece. The cost, with GHIC, was minimal. The doctor's paperwork also meant I had no trouble claiming the unused lift pass on my insurance.

One thing to remember is to call the airline in advance to book special assistance on your flight home (assuming you're flying, of course).

Good luck.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hubby skied out a broken neck to the bottom of the mountain.It wasn't far, but still could have had fatal consequences.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, and don't forget (as I know you have benefited), that mountain rescue covered you without cost for a rescue outside of the resort boundaries.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"One thing to remember is to call the airline in advance to book special assistance on your flight home (assuming you're flying, of course)."

OK if you are walking wounded, but what if it is more serious? If you have travel insurance that includes repatriation then it is the task of the insurance company to get you home. There's no point calling TUI or Easyjet and telling them that you need three seats for your broken leg if the flight is full. Likewise, if you have driven or taken the train, if you can't drive home or sit on a train for 15 hours with multiple changes and baggage to carry, then the insurance company should be organising getting you, and your luggage, home. Your insurance should also cover you for any additional days spent abroad - e.g. waiting in hospital, or discharged but waiting for a "fit to fly" certificate - and cover the cost of accommodation and food.

As for all these folks skiing down on one leg etc. - quite apart from the risk to their own health, have they considered the potential risk that they present to other people on the mountain if they suddenly lose control or collapse?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were actually talking about that horrendous incident of a SH and his wife in Japan only the other night and how it all unravelled, almost enough to put me off skiing there, I'm sure someone with a better memory can post a link to the thread.

As I always say the more shite you do then the greater the chance of a potential issue, sort of comes with the territory as it were, and skiing nigh on everyday raises the stakes, and just walking around can be even more hazardous than the actual skiing!

@Hells Bells, and I'm hardly ever going to forget that one Laughing

And a couple of years ago OH had a heart attack and still skied down, real Rule number 5 stuff!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it feels wrong, call the piste rescue. Cost or whether you have “carre niege” (which only means something in a small number of French resorts) is not a consideration. Even if you are not insured the costs do not outweigh the risks. I would never ski, or do
many of the other sport I enjoy, without insurance. And I would strongly advise anyone on a skiing holiday to be properly insured. But all this talk about “carre niege” (which is the wrong term anyway) is so banal and presumptive. We don’t all ski in a small number of French resorts.
latest report
@zikomo, well here's that thread about what can go wrong in Japan!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163556
ski holidays
@zikomo, I've skied in quite a few resorts in France and Carte Neige has been available in all of them. And now (since they made third party liability insurance compulsory) the Italians seem to have started a similar thing (as I found recently in the Dolomiti Superski domain). But it should be belt and braces, mostly just a more convenient document for the mountain rescuers to check, since it will be in their own language; you're right, people should ensure they have comprehensive cover before they hit the slopes. The fact that purchasing such extra offerings might breach rules on double insurance in those countries and in the UK is a whole other topic, which I've perhaps stupidly decided to ignore!
snow conditions
Quote:

But it should be belt and braces, mostly just a more convenient document for the mountain rescuers to check, since it will be in their own language; you're right, people should ensure they have comprehensive cover before they hit the slopes.

Indeed, as I think I mentioned up-thread. Skiing without insurance is idiotic and thoughtless but when there was a discussion about the Italian rules about third-party insurance, some weeks ago, many people (including me) checked the small print and found our travel insurance did cover it. Like pretty well all household insurance policies will cover you if a slate flying off your roof decapitates a passer-by. When I fractured my pelvis the rescue sledge actually took me UPhill to the medical centre. A very short ride, and supremely comfortable and reassuring. I had a longer ride once when a binding failed on one of my skis. The lifty thought he could fix it, but failed, and whistled up a mate to ferry me back to civilisation. Great fun, and he picked up a couple of struggling snowboarders along the way. They are there to help - you don't have to be at death's door to call for assistance though for most of us the instinct to cope without calling for help is quite strong.
ski holidays
i recently had an accident in val disere, just skiing down a blue run a bit to fast and i went for a cartwheel, i felt my arm go funny and i thought i broke it, right behind me was the piste patrol on his skidoo, he said hop on, and i"ll take to the medical centre, i thought that was nice of him, the journey took about 30 seconds, unbeknownst to me at the time was that 30 seconds cost me £300, and with some medical attention including an x-ray it all came to £600, i always take out ski insurance, but they all wanted paying up front, i was told to keep all the reciepts, which i did, and my insurers gave me all my money back, the medical staff and piste patrol were all great. turned out i just fractured my elbow.
latest report
@philusher76, good job you had a lift down the piste if you'd fractured your elbow! That's the sort of thing with the Carte Neige cover (price of a cup of coffee, bought with the lift pass) would cover. It saves hassle and worry on the day. The cost of piste rescues is normally clearly displayed at the lift pass offices but of course nobody ever takes any notice! Good that your insurance paid up without difficulty.
snow report
Origen wrote:
Skiing without insurance is idiotic and thoughtless...
That's not necessarily true. You may have missed something.

Origen wrote:
. .. The cost of piste rescues is normally clearly displayed at the lift pass offices but of course nobody ever takes any notice!
Perhaps some people know those costs and accept the risk of paying them?
One benefit of that is not having to share risks with people who think they're someone else's' problem.
latest report
@phil_w, sorry, should have made it more clear that the comment about the cost of rescue was in response to a complaint about the charge being unexpected. And of course it never makes financial sense to insure against risks you can afford to run. But few of us could cope with the cost of heli evacuation, long medical treatment and perhaps a lifetime of care. And skiing without third party cover (we were discussing the Italian situation, where third party cover is rightly compulsory) is idiotic and thoughtless. In many countries driving without third party cover is also illegal.
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
@phil_w, sorry, should have made it more clear that the comment about the cost of rescue was in response to a complaint about the charge being unexpected. And of course it never makes financial sense to insure against risks you can afford to run. But few of us could cope with the cost of heli evacuation, long medical treatment and perhaps a lifetime of care. And skiing without third party cover (we were discussing the Italian situation, where third party cover is rightly compulsory) is idiotic and thoughtless. In many countries driving without third party cover is also illegal.

Indeed. The total bill when I broke my leg (bearing in mind this was in 1990), came to £20k Shocked

That was blood wagon, ambulance, 9 days in traction (which didn’t work) then another week recovering from the plate they inserted into my leg (which I now keep as a souvenir in my pants drawer), private ambulance to the airport, 3 x first class seats home (probably the only bit of the plane with room), then a private ambulance from Heathrow to Swansea (which almost killed me and my dad as the driver was terrible)
latest report
I had a season-ending fall mid-December which resulted in severe/immediate lower right leg pain. Unbuckled my boot and skied the 50m or so to the mid-station chairlift and headed back up the mountain. Mainly because the car was parked over in the next valley.

Managed to get on/off the chairlift and skate/glided up a shallow incline to the seilbahn….opting to download. At that point I think the adrenaline wore off and there was zero weight bearing possible and then a lot of swearing/wimpering. The liftie slowed the lift down so I could throw myself into the cabin with a repeat at the valley station where I was given a helping shoulder to lean on to get down the stairs where a medic was waiting to assess the injury. He agreed that beer and Zirben was the best course of action, having established that Mrs C was ok driving the car home Laughing

Rule 5 applied Laughing

My Austrian OATC insurance covers mountain evac, including helicopter, so it was definitely a rule 5 moment.
snow report
@Cacciatore, well, you are just proper 'ard. Shocked
How's the recovery going?
snow report
Hils68 wrote:
Is that what you pay your insurance for ??How do you get one ?

Yes
Carre Niege is a no quibble mountain rescue & usually sold as an option when buying a lift pass - but not always offered as an odd-on via 3rd party like Sunweb or offered by the hotel. You can still go to the lift pass counter & buy cover seperate. So worth having than trying to sort out using your own insurance.
Also dont forget you can claim for unused lift pass days.
latest report
As an ex-motorcycle racer I was rather gung-ho in my youth about accidents; and will forever thank the wonderful staff at most of the A&E departments near racetracks. As I age I now have a range of aches and pains (and no cartilage in my right shoulder) that I have to ignore. The good thing though is that it could have been much worse because, when you crash in a race, there is no option … you are taken to the medical centre and if there is the slightest doubt you’re then taken to the local hospital.

However, as a cautionary tale, my OH was in a ski lesson in spring whilst I was with my children. She called to say that she’d ‘strained’ her knee and was leaving the lesson and downloading back to town. Kids and I raced down to join her but, when we got there, she said it was minor and probably only necessitated a day off. Fortunately, I suggested just getting it checked out (we were fully insured) and she reluctantly agreed. X-ray in the surgery showed a large fracture of the tibial plateau and we were off in an ambulance to the regional hospital where they operated that evening and she was kept in hospital for nearly a week. She has now fully recovered. However, the hospital said that had she delayed seeking treatment, even for a couple of days, then the bone would have started to reattach in the wrong position and she might have been permanently affected.

So, my advice is to seek treatment for any injury immediately and to avoid doing anything that might exacerbate it which includes carrying on. Pain is a rather unreliable measure of how much damage you’ve done; things that hurt like crazy can be minor and things that you think are just a bit sore can be debilitating. The best time to treat any injury is immediately and it can make a huge difference to outcomes (friend of mine dislocated shoulder and went to the bar in the hope it would ‘pop back in’ without assistance … result was permanently stretched ligaments in the shoulder and a rotator cuff injury that can’t be fixed).
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@Cacciatore, well, you are just proper 'ard. Shocked
How's the recovery going?

Recovery is going okay, thanks Hurtle.

Walking the hounds separately, so 4-5km/day “up hills and down dales”. Physio once a week, loads of different exercises. No longer limping. Mild discomfort some of the time.

Tried on a ski boot last week….no probs getting it on/off, but flexing and just trying to walk immediately “communicated” that skiing is a complete non-starter. Physio reckons 6 months to fully heal.

So, a bit of a bore, but nothing like as traumatic as some of the injury reports from other sH’s
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, that sounds good, well done. So sad your ski season has been scuppered, though. I'm guessing Mrs C isn't skiing either and she was doing so well after her own injury. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Interesting when I hobbled to the ski lift station yesterday to enquire about my ski lift refund ….found out that The lady hadn’t given us carte Neige or whatever the Italian is on our ski lift pass even though we asked for it. This has been added on now for rest of family. So lucky we /I didn’t need it/use it when I fell.

The next problem seems that my husband and I were skiing with each others ski pass so my lift pass looks as though it’s been used the last few days whilst I’ve been sat indoors. We have swopped back to rightful ones but I’m not sure how easy claiming my 4 unused days will be with this confusion.

So learning lessons- always check insurance has been added. Check names of ski passes before heading off. Bring two books just in case .

And try to enjoy your quiet time whilst family go off to ski
snow report
I've no idea how it works in Italy but in France, if you buy the extra local insurance with a lift pass, the pass identifies that fact. If you buy it separately you have to keep the receipt (which last time I did it, for a visitor, was paper) WITH the lift pass and the woman explained that very clearly and I drilled it into my visitor. I speak adequate French for that sort of transaction but I expect the woman could have explained adequately in English. The scope for misunderstandings with limited common language is considerable. Shame about messing up the lift passes - can imagine it will be very difficult to sort that out.
snow report
I fell in the first hour of the first day last Feb and tore my ACL in my left knee. I skied the rest of the way down on my right leg and then had to lie down for 30 mins as I felt sick. Catching the wagon down would have been better but I suppose I saved the hassle of claiming back on insurance.
snow report
Jonesj wrote:
I fell in the first hour of the first day last Feb and tore my ACL in my left knee. I skied the rest of the way down on my right leg and then had to lie down for 30 mins as I felt sick. Catching the wagon down would have been better but I suppose I saved the hassle of claiming back on insurance.

I know how you feel. Fell first day (albeit in afternoon). First time skiing in 3 years . Has been a long hobbling week . Off to the lovely NHS when back to double check all is okay and nothing more serious than a strain.

Next year ….
ski holidays
@Hils68, doing intensive physio now ready for end of March. 10 days in Canada this time so I’m going to take the first day easy. Then smash it on the 2nd day Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy