Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices of Salzburg hill restaurants rise twice as fast as inflation

Poster: A snowHead
We don't have Austria bashing sessions. Why would we? I don't understand why we regularly have these defensive and pointless France bashing sessions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Origen wrote:
We don't have Austria bashing sessions. Why would we? I don't understand why we regularly have these defensive and pointless France bashing sessions.

Have you forgotten the over-used “too low for snow” that was so often deployed when comparing France and Austria by those who sought to demean skiing in Austria? Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes. I honestly don't recall anyone seeking to "demean skiing in Austria". People might ask about specific resorts, as they do about low resorts in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't like the on-mountain inflation rates in Austria and France then come to Switzerland....prices have been about the same in chf terms for 10 years or so.
The FX rate hasn't been so kind, but a beer/coffee/pizza never changes, year after year, and is now cheaper than the big French places in my experience.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rungsp, Although tbf the last time I was in Wengen I got charged for tap water in Piz Gloria (3x hungry kids eating lunch in the revolving restaurant) on the Schilthorn . . .when questioned the waiter simply said - 've have to pay someone to deliver ze vater sir'. Obvs this would never happen in France however I'm confident the reply wouldn't have been so politely Swiss Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Origen wrote:
defensive and pointless France.

seems to sum it up Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I rest my case.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its fortunate we don't all have the same views on what makes a good ski resort or which country is the best place for a skiing holiday otherwise it would be a very crowded resort if we were all looking for the same thing ! And very expensive too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve very recently been skiing in large ski resorts in France and Italy and Switzerland and Austria. My small sample would suggest to me that food and drink prices are cheapest in Italy, a bit more expensive in France, a bit more expensive again in Austria and more expensive again in Switzerland. The Austrian resorts included Ischgl and St Anton though so this would no doubt have skewed the outcome.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Belch wrote:
@rungsp, Although tbf the last time I was in Wengen I got charged for tap water in Piz Gloria (3x hungry kids eating lunch in the revolving restaurant) on the Schilthorn . . .when questioned the waiter simply said - 've have to pay someone to deliver ze vater sir'. Obvs this would never happen in France however I'm confident the reply wouldn't have been so politely Swiss :-

D

Why am I not surprised? When we had a week in Wengen, we were charged for the tap water they put on the table each night at dinner, whether we'd asked for it or not, and Piz Gloria were going to charge us for the lunch we had ordered moments before they started to evacuate us off the mountain due to wind. We weren't going to get our lunch, but they brought us the bill and were insisting that we paid.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from a week in Salzburgerland (Ski Amadé) and I was very happy with the prices, on the mountain and off. If they’ve gone up by such a huge percentage in the last few years then they must have been dirt cheap before!

A large beer (pint) was €5 in my 4* hotel and around €6-€7 on the mountain. Food prices on the mountain were similar in euros to what I would pay in pounds at home for soup, sandwiches, strudel etc.

The way I look at it is that usually you have to pay over the odds to eat/drink in a stinky, busy city with great transport infrastructure. So if you have to pay a similar amount to eat in a lovely location on a mountain with significant difficulties getting supplies then what is wrong with that? In reality most of the places I went to were a lot cheaper than big city prices.

I can’t comment on the France discussion, only been once and that was 30 years ago - I guess prices will have changed a bit! Italy or Austria are just fine for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
japes1275 wrote:
The way I look at it is that usually you have to pay over the odds to eat/drink in a stinky, busy city with great transport infrastructure.

+1

Anyone complaining about high prices in the mountains should come to London.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And not really sensible to talk about prices in "Austria" or "France". Depends where you go - as it does in London!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
hammerite wrote:
I've never understood why schiwasser seemed so expensive prior to any price rises. Isn't most of it tap water?

Yep, although it can be fizzy sometimes. I agree

My Wife bought two large 2 litre concentrated bottles of it in the Spar in Solden Dorf on Saturday morning....€4.

It's poxy stuff altogether...I presume the price hike is the cost of the squirrels, voles etc they boil to make it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HilbertSpace wrote:
japes1275 wrote:
The way I look at it is that usually you have to pay over the odds to eat/drink in a stinky, busy city with great transport infrastructure.

+1

I'll see your London and raise you Dublin city center.
snow conditions
HilbertSpace wrote:
japes1275 wrote:

+1

Not without the location factor on my income! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy