Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Autoroute Closures

Poster: A snowHead
We left La plagne on Saturday at 12:00 lunch time. Had to go through Annecy. The traffic heading north had a two mile q to get to the round about near Anncey then it was clear around the lake and onwards. Different story for the traffic heading south. Looked very busy. The gendarme had blocked all the slip roads to stop satnav short cuts !!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was driving Les C - GVA and I think it added 45 mins which we justabout had. Made teh morning a little stressful though
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Problems south of Lyon today. Diversion around La Tour du Pin, various other closures ended up adding about an hour and a half to our journey to over night in St. Quentin.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Cluses blockage had been announced on the local news on France3 the night before, as had the ones near Grenoble and south of Lyon.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm shuddering to think what it will be like if this continues through to 10th February and first big school holidays travel weekend. Can only hope they get this sorted out in the next week. As of today Google maps shows A31 north of Dijon closed as well as all main roads round Lyon. The route via Annecy is still open but no way all that holiday traffic can take one route to the alps, and I'm seeing snow mentioned on forecasts for the 10th.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yesterday (31.1.24), driving back from 4 Vallées in Switzerland, the detours on the Autoroute des Anglais added about 3-1/2 hours to the journey through France. Biggest problem was that the massive articulated lorries couldn’t easily navigate some of the smaller roundabouts on the secondary roads, leading to queues where otherwise the traffic would have been flowing reasonably well.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 1-02-24 12:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes it needs sorting otherwise it will be carnage
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This coming Saturday the motorway will be blockaded between Albertville and Chambery
According to Radio La plagne
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I came back from Alpe d'Huez to Lyon airport yesterday. Blockages at Grenoble and Lyon on autoroutes. Local roads were painfully show, usually 2 hours but it too 3 3/4 hrs in total. Leave lots of extra time. Google maps was up to date with the closures....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Next weekend could get interesting, finding our way round the farmers then a possible very snowy drive up the hill.....

Are the planned closures / disruption published anywhere beforehand?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jonathancarty, There is some notice - but sorting fact from threat can be a bit tricky.
Currently for this Saturday the public works protestors are looking to block the road between Chambery and Albertville. The farmers are making a decision tomorrow night on another A 43 blockage as they are now wanting to return to their land after a couple of weeks dry weather. Like the UK a lot of French agricultural land has been waterlogged and they now need to work the land to get the crops in the ground - for that they need their big tractors.

Hopefully shutting Brussels down today means the EU will promise to talk about doing something.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
According to France24 the two main farmers' unions have this afternoon called for an end to the road blockades.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So are the blockades stopping now then? If not how will this Chambery blockade affect transfers to Geneva from the Tarentaise?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In his thread from Val d'Isere Steve Angus says construction workers look like joining the farmers and plan to block the road between Chambery and Albertville this weekend.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Minion1980, The Geneva transfers I've been on normally follow the lake from Annecy to Albertville, so they would miss any argy-bargy on the Chambery-Albertville Autoroute anyway. However, that route will be much busier than usual if the Chambery-Albertville Autoroute is blocked.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
@Minion1980, The Geneva transfers I've been on normally follow the lake from Annecy to Albertville, so they would miss any argy-bargy on the Chambery-Albertville Autoroute anyway. However, that route will be much busier than usual if the Chambery-Albertville Autoroute is blocked.
Thanks, it's never easy on Saturdays, fingers crossed it's not too bad this week though considering how busy Tignes is this week I'm expecting a long journey.
ski holidays
Google maps showing lots of No Entry signs on the A13 between Rouen and Paris, on the A6 south of Dijon and on the A43 between Lyon and Chambery, I'm presuming these are closures. Currently Google maps is suggesting my route from Normandy to Les Menuires going via Le Mans which we've never done before.

Hope it's sorted by next week
latest report
https://gieat.viewsurf.com/?id=5592&action=mediaRedirect

Webcam on A43/A48 interchange heading to Chambery
ski holidays
A31 is blocked again just north of Dijon which would be pain for those driving from Calais to the west alps. Its on our route to our Annecy stop so fingers cross they sort it out in the next week otherwise its going to be a long drive
ski holidays
jonathancarty wrote:
Currently Google maps is suggesting my route from Normandy to Les Menuires going via Le Mans which we've never done before.

There are trip reports here of people using that route, it sounds good to avoid Paris even when there are no problems.
ski holidays
Yes, even before blockades, Paris was often an issue when crossing the channel to Caen - Le Mans is not a bad bet.
ski holidays
But I guess if the blockages continue the protestors will switch tactics and block different routes, unpredictably.
ski holidays
Any updates on the situation tomorrow heading out of the Tarentaise or where to find them please?
ski holidays
@Minion1980, France3 news starts at 7pm.
latest report
We’ve just arrived in Annecy today before heading on to Tignes tomorrow. We drove down as far as Troyes, then headed off across to Geneva, then down to Annecy. It added around 30 mins to our journey (as per satnav at the time of diverting). We saw lots of places where there had previously been protests (bales shifted to side of the road, cameras covered in bale wrap) but otherwise was fairly smooth.
snow conditions
Panning around Google maps gives the impression of a significant reduction in closures compared to the last 4 days, so fingers crossed.
snow conditions
we got caught in some heavy traffic and shut autoroute from grenoble to alpe d hueze last saturday - 27th, flying back tommorrow i guess waze will be my freind ? any one have any sites with updates?

thank you
ski holidays
News here suggests there won't be a blockage towards Chambery: https://www.savoie-news.fr/reportages/societe/article/mouvement-des-entreprises-du-tp-et-du-paysage-des-savoie-ce-samedi-
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Radio La Plagne now reports that there will be no blockade on the motorway tomorrow
snow conditions
A TV report said that the blockage between Chambery and Lyon won't be cleared until Monday.
snow report
Buckle up if you are arriving or leaving French alps today.

A43 blocked at Lyon Airport. We left Les Menuires at 4.45am to miss blocks to no avail.

It took us 5 hrs to 3Vs from Lyon last Saturday
snow report
The last blockage this side of Lyon appears to be on the A43 at St Quentin Fallavier so will impact Lyon airport traffic - currently the side roads look busy but moving. The fog has formed at Grenoble so if aircraft divert to Lyon its going to be a double hit!
snow report
Well, we've landed at Chambery, more or less on time and with quite a bump. Weather here is mostly sunny with a little mist/haze, but over the lake on the way in it was crystal clear. First plane in so no real queues at immigration. Currently sitting on the transfer bus waiting for the last few pax. Should find out shortly the state of play on the roads up to Val D'Iz.
latest report
We were scheduled to land at Grenoble at 9am, conditions and equipment failure on the ground forced our plane to divert to Marseille to refuel.
Currently preparing to depart Marseille for Grenoble again Eh oh!
snow report
Sitrep : Departed Chambery 10:30L - had to wait for some Brummies. Autoroute from Chambery to Albertville eastbound is clear - no holdups at all. It's a bit sticky in the other direction towards Chambery at the junction on the A43 and A430 though.

There are a lot of construction type vehicles on the slip road from the Eastbound payage at Chambery though - and a few Gendarmes. Looks like that has the beginnings of a possible protest. Should be OK for Chambery arrivals if it does kick off, but might be a bit tricky from Lyon.
ski holidays
Sitrep2: No holdups on the Albertville to Moutiers stretch either. Just gone through the Tunnel du Siaix, and the traffic lights Eastbound (up the hill) are NOT on, so they aren't causing any holdups either.

Basically if Carlsberg did airport transfers.... May even be in resort for lunch. Only fly in the ointment is I've got to change onto a smaller bus at Bourg. This bus is going to Les Arcs
snow conditions
@Paperback Writer, BA excuses. Equipment failure in the air or he ran himself short of fuel. The Wizz landed before you diverted from the hold so no snags on the ground, granted it’s not a zero zero ILS, but if an Hungarian loco can land In sure BA should be able to.
snow conditions
Sitrep3 : Arrived in resort at about 13:15. Quickest ever transfer for me I think. Trouble is, the reception in the place I'm at doesn't officially open till 16:00. Went for a pizza and a pint, and by the time I'd done that someone had turned up at reception so I'm in.

Now just gotta find a feed for the Maidstone Yeovil game. Come on youuuuu Glovers.
snow conditions
Quote:

BA excuses. Equipment failure in the air or he ran himself short of fuel. The Wizz landed before you diverted from the hold so no snags on the ground, granted it’s not a zero zero ILS, but if an Hungarian loco can land In sure BA should be able to.

Laughing More information than BA wanted you to provide, @chocksaway. What a cheek to blame poor little Grenoble airport.
ski holidays
Flew to GVA yesterday (Friday), very quiet on scenic old route to Annecy. Nice night in hotel, and stroll this am, then quiet drive up to Meribel this afternoon, not much traffic at all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy