Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refilling hire car

Poster: A snowHead
@denfinella, Last time with Avis I left it with about half a tank. It cost me 30 or 40 euros.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@zikomo, I’ve been told I’d have to pay for an entire full tank if it wasn’t left full, & on another occasion that the refuelling charge was €40 plus €2.50 per litre. Not all that much set against the cost of a holiday, admittedly, but enough to mean that stopping to fill up on the way into the airport was worthwhile, on balance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How difficult is it to find a fuel station on your way back to the airport, within 20 miles or so? Give yourself an extra 10 minutes to fill the car to the brim (although how many people deliberately cut it so fine that a fuel stop means they are going to be late returning the car?) then there’s no need to worry about returning the car full. Really don’t understand the angst here. Rent the car full to full and no worries about paying over the odds, or paying a fee on top of the fuel cost if you return it less than full.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, Exactly! There's a fuel station 50m before the P51 parking where you hand the car back and at least two on Ave Louis-Casai within a few hundred metres. And anybody posting on here has a device that can access Google Maps!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, we always hire electric from Europcar nowadays as they don’t have a specific % battery requirement on return (Hertz ask for 75%). Accepting that if you’re travelling further than we do (Morzine) then the faff of charging for the return trip if required would be an issue, but we can get to Morzine, do all our running around and back to Geneva without needing to charge (we usually do top up as we have a charger).

But when we hired petrol cars we just topped up at the little petrol station next to P51 car park - the small extra price isn’t significant on a 100 mile round trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zikomo wrote:
Seriously. What is the most anyone here has even been charged for not bringing the car back full? It's a pittance in my experience. If it is quick and easy (and I feel I have the time), I will top the car up at the airport. Probably about half the time I don't bother. It has never been expensive for me to return without it being full.

It can be pretty expensive. One time in the last couple of years there was a fuel shortage that I didn't know about, it turned out to be impossible to fill up before returning the car at GVA in the time I had available. I was charged a refuelling fee of something like €50 plus €3 per litre ish for the petrol (when it was under €2 at the pumps), cost me a good €80 more than it would have done if I'd been able to fill up myself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Matt1959 wrote:
@rob@rar, Exactly! There's a fuel station 50m before the P51 parking where you hand the car back and at least two on Ave Louis-Casai within a few hundred metres. And anybody posting on here has a device that can access Google Maps!
Yes you can do that. Alternatively, stop at a supermarket on the way to GVA, paying supermarket fuel prices and buy some food for the journey. No need to wait until you are close to the airport. Filling the tank brim full is good for 20-30 miles before the fuel gauge will register less than full.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know we are talking about fuel discomfort.
But what really grates me is the lack of transparancy regarding insurance for Car rental.
I always used to think that CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) was all you needed, but CDW is just the starting point, if you want to feel easy in your holiday bed at night you'll have to get another chunk of insurance to top it up.
In case you scratch it, clonk a wheel, lose the key, fill it with the wrong fuel or pick up a chip on the windscreen. Even act of God.

Years ago a buddy of mine rented a big car in the states and called in at a Drive through Bank. Not being used to this American way of doing things, he got out of the car and went to the window. Not being used to the American way of doing things ... he did not leave it in P for park and he had not worked out how the "emergency brake" worked.
You can imagine his face as the car rolled back down the ramp into the main road where it was demolished by another couple of cars.
I think he had the CDW... can't remember.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy from embsay wrote:
@rob@rar, we always hire electric from Europcar nowadays as they don’t have a specific % battery requirement on return (Hertz ask for 75%). Accepting that if you’re travelling further than we do (Morzine) then the faff of charging for the return trip if required would be an issue, but we can get to Morzine, do all our running around and back to Geneva without needing to charge (we usually do top up as we have a charger).
What car are you given if you book an EV? How does the rental fee compare with ICE?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The cheapest EV is usually a VW ID3, though if there’s a few of us sharing we quite often upgrade to a Volvo XC40 (or at the end of the month a VW ID Buzz).

I have a trip for a week at easter and it’s forty quid more than a Polo (£6 extra per day). Which is covered by not needed to pay for petrol for the return trip to Morzine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got a "Fuel Up" charge at Geneva last year. I brimmed the tank as normal about 15 minutes from the airport, but by the time I parked the car the needle was just off full.

The problem was they car was a plug in hybrid, which had a small fuel tank and was rather inefficient. Its electric 'tank' had been supplied empty.

In the end they charged me 4 CHF, which must have been about a pint of petrol.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy from embsay, thanks, appreciate the info. Do you always get the EV that you book, or do they sometimes give you a different car? It's not as much extra to get an EV as I thought it might be.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, it’s always an EV - have had ID3 switched for a Cupra Born (basically the same car underneath). And I seem to recall getting an Etron Q4 once (I’m supposed to get a double upgrade as a privilege scheme member but never seem to).

I’m hoping we get the ID Buzz in a couple of weeks as we have a day out to Grand Massif planned and it’ll be a lot easier to get skis etc inside one of those!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 15-01-24 21:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, thanks, good to know.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
The old easyCar rules used to be empty/empty, which guaranteed an anxious last few miles. wink they also required car to be returned clean, which was a bit of a poser. I recall my OH polishing one up with an old pair of Y fronts. Full/Full makes sense, with additional charge only if you return car NOT full, which seems fair. Even if the charge per litre seems a bit steep, they do have to pay somebody to do it.

I have hired quite a few cars, over the years. I'm ALWAYS relieved to get one back undamaged into those little spaces with surprise pillars. The only problems I've had have been with punctures - two, both in cars rented from Swiss side at Gva. An absolute complete and utter ballache, especially the one on the side of a snowy road as dusk fell, with a useless can of gunk and a one-inch gash caused by an invisible (under the snow) nid-de-poule when daughter in law pulled onto the side of the road to avoid the ski bus coming the other way. Had we not had other drivers and vehicles available and somebody capable of organising local garage (who spoke NO English) to come and pick up the car and take it down to the valley to fit new tyres, then get down there to pick it up. That was me - and I was at our apartment, and the lost time wasn't a big deal as we were there for many weeks. If a family had hired that car for a week's holiday, on their own, it would have been a very different story.

We hired a. Ar at GVA using Easycar, we washed it in a petrol station near the airport using a windscreen sponge & shampoo.
snow conditions
That easycar model wasn't very successful - didn't last long!
latest report
Hire car insurance...worth its weight in gold.
latest report
Agreed. But wouldn't help with refuelling charges, I imagine.
snow report
I recently hired a car from Europe Car Innsbruck airport, They were very helpful,their policy is full on return .the car was a Citroen C5,because I was a bit late and pushed for time for the flight, they said they would fill it.It was just under 1/4 full .Eu 18 bill I thought was very reasonable.
In my experience if one deals with the big chains Avis, Hertz, Europe Car Sixt.
things are relatively straight forward
latest report
I recently hired a car from Europe Car Innsbruck airport, They were very helpful,their policy is full on return .the car was a Citroen C5,because I was a bit late and pushed for time for the flight, they said they would fill it.It was just under 1/4 full .Eu 18 bill I thought was very reasonable.
In my experience if one deals with the big chains Avis, Hertz, Europe Car Sixt.
things are relatively straight forward
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy