Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Belch wrote:
bring back David Vine
He died 15 years ago so might not be up to speed with latest developments. It's true though, many of us grew up listening to him and lots of old Ski Sundays are on Youtube.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

bring back David Vine

Seeing he's been dead for 15 years (almost to the day!) commentary might be a bit sparse, but judging from the comments about Eurosport coverage that may be an advantage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Richard_Sideways, More than aware of his demise - was reinforcing the point! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will Ski Sunday mention GBs most successful skier by far ( JT ... Telemark) getting double WC Gold medals and push for a SPOTY nomination ?? ( minority sport , mostly self funded, woman, highly regarded internationally, great ambassador, shamefully Under reported )

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 8-01-24 21:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Chemmy has grown on me; although her mojo assisted (allegedly) skiing style disturbs me
Shocked

Mojo or not, I always think her skiing style looks fantastic - some might say world cup or olympic standard wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if only she could calm down her jazz hands when talking or wear less striking gloves, its like semaphore.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Belch, im a big fan of Ed, he's got proper passion for the mountains.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:
bring back David Vine

Seeing he's been dead for 15 years (almost to the day!) commentary might be a bit sparse, but judging from the comments about Eurosport coverage that may be an advantage.

I've been enjoying the recent Eurosport commentary by Ed Drake and Charlie Groom(?) who work well together and don't have me gritting my teeth and reaching for the Ambient button. I hope we will still hear more from Finlay Mickel as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was joking earlier, but watching with Mrs B now, she asked the same question - does Ski Sunday ever show Biathlon?

Can’t recall ever seeing it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boris, not sure, they definitely did a piece on telemark a few seasons back, which must be more niche. Guess it's reliant on a few factors, either they need someone to fund the piece (e.g when they promote a ski flick), it be happening in a resort they'll be at anyway or hit some bar for editorial interest.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Boris, Biathlon? You mean shooting and skiing? Thats REALLY niche for the UK market, but then I did note that Ski Ballet got a nod on sundays show, so...

I expect they will do a piece on telemarquetry at some point, they seem to get one in each season, but it's all dependant on what footage they can get, and it'll most likely be focussed on Taylor than any particular event.

I understand that freestyle will get near enough a whole segment at some point from what they were saying at the Snow Show - Laax Open starts the 16th, and Mia one of the 3 favourites, so probably the show on the 21st.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, yes skiing and shooting - it's niche I agree, but then there are a surprising amount of athletes competing in Europe and at World Cup level there is representation.

I'll send in some clips on their social feature and see if they get picked up
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's a shame but clearly Ski Sunday is having its budget cut even further, and can only afford to buy a few FIS events of the season. Which means that while Downhill, Super-G and biathlon are already well under way we've seen nothing. It will soon be close to not worth bothering because it's so selective. Yes, it's a great 'atmosphere' programme for anyone looking forwards to an imminent trip out, but as for actual events, the coverage is minimal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, when was the Aston time they showed anything in the first 2 months of the season though?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@LaForet, when was the Aston time they showed anything in the first 2 months of the season though?

Agree. I think their coverage normally starts at the end of January (although could be my aged brain playing tricks) so they're a week or two earlier this season.
ski holidays
The first week is usually just before the Wengen downhill which they always show, and the Kitzbuhel one next weekend, so theyre starting as normal
latest report
Bring back High Altitude

...... and The Jump -that was brilliant
snow report
Alas, neither would get past the risk assessment stage today; Bloomin' Elf an safety gawn MAAAAAD etc.
ski holidays
jafa wrote:
The first week is usually just before the Wengen downhill which they always show, and the Kitzbuhel one next weekend, so theyre starting as normal

Cheers Jafa - relieved to know I'm definitely going senile NehNeh
snow report
I can see BBC Sport losing skiing in the same way they've lost golf, cricket, football, rugby, darts, snooker, horse racing, F1 and more. It doesn't make sense they can lose all those sports but still somehow cling on to skiing. Eurosport/Discovery and Sky just do it more effectively and now that FIS are apparently busy revamping their own TV offering, will the Beeb get squeezed out?

Ski Sunday has had a really good run but the format feels tired now and is basically just a highlights show in an era when people prefer it all live. It used to be live - Both Grandstand (BBC) and World of Sport (ITV) used to show the big races on Saturday lunchtimes. That was 1970s / 80s. Bring back Dickie Davies.
ski holidays
jafa wrote:

Normal for now - but they used to start with the Val Gardena downhill -- who can forget Konrad Bartelski nearly winning one year !!
snow conditions
@Avabrunch, you forgot small boys in the park, with jumpers for goalposts.

And WHY is Edward Leigh not wearing a sports jacket and tie?!?
snow conditions
@Avabrunch, I think the BBC could hang onto the rights for the UK as I don’t see them as valuable for the UK market so i can’t see them losing them by someone outbidding especially as they only buy highlights for certain races thus really aren’t competing with the traditional home of Eurosport for live coverage.
ski holidays
It's not about being outbid for them, it's whether they feel it's worth any outlay to produce a show when they could just whack on a repeat of Flog It
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, you could posit that for any event they need to pay for rights, but I imagine those FIS highlights are cheap (relatively).
snow conditions
@ster, but a lot of those events will have other channels vying for them, doubt that's really the case for skiing highlights
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, yes, so the skiing highlights are cheap and will be cheap, little reason for BBC to cut.
snow conditions
@Boris,
Quote:

Bring back High Altitude

...... and The Jump -that was brilliant

+1

as much as i look forward to ski sunday starting each season, i must admit i was slightly disappointed this week, it seemed 90% of the first episode was covering one race. i would have thought there would have been a roundup of most of the races so far this season, and of any other notable highlights.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Belch, I agree about Chemmy, she really got on my nerves at first but she seems to have settled into her role now and is smiling a little less intensely/psychotically. It felt like she was trying desperately to carve a new career previously, I'm glad she's a permanent fixture now though - she's like the skiing version of Tigger and she really does know her stuff.
It did seem a little light on content but regardless it always reminds me of being a kid who had no expectations of ever skiing, but loved watching it. The theme tune instantly sends me back to Sunday afternoons and the black n white radio rentals telly.
Ahh ... Nostalgia - It's not what it used to be.
latest report
I have Eurosport so there’s often not much racing on SS that I haven’t previously seen on Eurosport (plus I get the added benefit of staring open mouthed at Dorothea Weirer too….).

I’ve said before about Ski Sunday, they obviously don’t have TV rights and won’t get much TV rights but in an ideal world I’d love to see a good 15-20 minute round up of a lot of the ski racing action; then a few minute or two each for the likes of ski/boarder cross, freestyle and big air, biathlon and cross-country; then the same for the sliding sports. That all should be good enough to leave a few minutes to do a feature piece with someone other than the slalom boys some time, and a minute or two for the weekly “climate change, cor innit terrible” reminder. For the multi sports coverage, even if they can’t get footage could there be results pages and standings, particularly when any of the likes of Brad Hall had a clutch of wins, second and third places and finished the season third in the two man and second in the four man. Surely bobsleigh footage can’t be overwhelmingly expensive., can it?

The worst part is Ed and Chemmy doing “tricks” and “lessons” on piste, I find it all a bit cringey, but I suppose they’ve got to be seen on the slopes.
snow report
I love the programme, have done since I was a kid in London and only dreamt about going on a ski holiday, let alone living in the Mountains. To a degree Ski Sunday is responsible for me living in Switzerland today as it gave me the inspiration to learn to ski when I was old enough to do it independently.

Chemmy has really grown into the role - I found her a bit wooden at first as she was transitioning from race to presenter, but now is very natural and makes a good partnership with Ed, who has always come across as a deeply passionate and a nice guy.

I like the segments at the end, with a few short tips and tricks, after all most of us on the site are first and foremost recreational skiers rather than racers, so its nice to see a few more things aimed at us mere mortals. If anything it would be good to have a slightly longer section, with maybe some more features about life in the mountains, resort reviews and developments, etc.

As for the racing - well, its impossible to cover everything so I can understand why they have to stick to the 'main event' of the week, although it would be good to have a 5-10 minute round up of the other events, including snowboarding, boarder/ski cross, etc, perhaps even the Freeride World Tour, etc.
snow conditions
I can't, and will never understand how the BBC can show constant re-runs of Dad's Army or some cooking program, and yet won't dedicate a couple of extra hours during the winter to a decent quality Ski show. By quality, I mean a greater mix of features like the ones everybody's been discussing.

I assume it's down to cash as always, but it could be a separate show aired late in the evening or early in the morning and presented by cheaper-to-hire presenters. Surely that's not beyond the realm of the licence fee?
snow report
Boris wrote:
@Richard_Sideways, yes skiing and shooting - it's niche I agree, but then there are a surprising amount of athletes competing in Europe and at World Cup level there is representation.

I'll send in some clips on their social feature and see if they get picked up

Last nights episode of "Richard Osman's House of Games" featured a question - "Which sport includes Skiing and Shooting" - blank looks from the participants.....
snow report
If you listen to interviews about the show with Ed, Chemmy, Jonesy or Graham (@iainms Ski podcast or The Apres podcast for example) you'll know just how shoestring SS is.
ski holidays
Voila... wink
Chemmy: https://audioboom.com/posts/8285362-175-behind-the-scenes-at-ski-sunday-with-chemmy-alcott
Ed: https://audioboom.com/posts/8245217-169-ed-leigh-bbc-ski-sunday-presenter
snow report
limegreen1 wrote:
Will Ski Sunday mention GBs most successful skier by far ( JT ... Telemark) getting double WC Gold medals and push for a SPOTY nomination ?? ( minority sport , mostly self funded, woman, highly regarded internationally, great ambassador, shamefully Under reported )

Four years ago now, but...

http://youtube.com/v/NUePd90-9_Y
snow conditions
ratkinsonuk wrote:
I can't, and will never understand how the BBC can show constant re-runs of Dad's Army or some cooking program, and yet won't dedicate a couple of extra hours during the winter to a decent quality Ski show. By quality, I mean a greater mix of features like the ones everybody's been discussing.

I assume it's down to cash as always, but it could be a separate show aired late in the evening or early in the morning and presented by cheaper-to-hire presenters. Surely that's not beyond the realm of the licence fee?

A rerun is free, Ski Sunday is not
ski holidays
Quote:

Bring back Dickie Davies.

+1 Cool Cool Cool Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
A rerun is free, Ski Sunday is not

I'm just listening to Iain's excellent podcast. He's managed to produce varied content on just a meagre £3 million budget. How much does it really cost for a small BBC production team in the grand scheme of things.
latest report
@ratkinsonuk, @Iainm's budget for the Ski Podcast is £3m!?! Blimey, someone has bought him a LOT of buymeacoffees Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy