Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres vs everything else!

Poster: A snowHead
No mention of Spikes Spiders and the Like? I've lived and worked in the alps for 16 of the last 19 winters, My car was fitted with the best winter tyres available. A front wheel drive Saab 93 estate for 12 years and a Mondeo since. I have Spikes Spiders which are without doubt the EASIEST deivce to put on & off and give unparrelaled grip. I have only ever had to use them 2 or three times in all that time but the're like insurance. You don't need it till you NEED it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Old Man Of Lech, Similar to the Rud Centrax I've mentioned in other threads on this subject. They're ideal for those cars with inufficient inside clearance for traditional chains, so if your car manual says 'no chains' this is usually still an option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Man Of Lech, @Chaletbeauroc, that's what I was referring to initially when commenting on the video, that the guy reviewing compares top-of-the-range snow-tyres against chains & socks which are not top of the range.

So when he comments how much hassle chains are to fit he's failing to mention easy-fit chains such as the Thule K Summit which is also designed to fit vehicles with little or no clearance.

So in the article I wrote I demonstrated what is meant by clearance relative to most chains, though you have to take into account the actual size of the chain link, and then chains that are designed to fit with limited clearance - so old school on the right of picture vs newer style.

But the guy I interviewed who is an expert is very disparaging of socks, more here on what his views are on that subject.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stuarth wrote:
Out of curiosity, what sort of roads (apart from snowy ones obviously! Madeye-Smiley ) are you driving that need chains?

well i had booked for the first Weekend of December at St.Anton. To be more precisely at St. Jakob
I have new Winter Tyres and not some kind of all weather etc.
I drove from Stuttgart till St. Jakob with snow on the streets etc without worries but the last 300m was a small road mountain up.
I tried everything but the last 50m was impossible to go forward. I tried with snow chains, and still didnt manage it.
There was over 30cm fresh snow...
Finally after many tries the right snowchain broke up, and i had to park the car somewhere in an another Gasthoff, and the owner came with a 4x4 Fiat Panda and we took all the luggages etc to our Pension...

Next day i noticed that both chains were destroyed. However i manage to drove up to the pension only with the winter tyres...

I know how to use the chains (done it many times) however sometimes you got what you pay. I send them back (only used this night) and i got the refund, and bought another pair from a company in AUstria who produced snowchains for Car , Buses Trucks etc. I suppose more reliable? and also more expensive

But if the chains didnt help, why should i have them?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
turms2 wrote:

But if the chains didnt help, why should i have them?

Sounds like you just needed better chains.

I've said it before, but since I've been regularly driving most weekends and later living in ski resorts, I've never once needed chains. Yes, 4wd cars, and for a couple of them, like my Passat R36 and my wife's Audi TT, ground clearance can be an issue in deep snow, but winter tyres have always been good enough, and I mean perfectly good enough, not only just, IYSWIM.

These days I have the old Defender with chunky all-terrain winter tyres, which since living at 1350m has always been my vehicle of choice in heavy snow, so I could imagine that there may have been days when I've ventured out in conditions that may otherwise have put me off, chains or no chains. Permanent mechanical 4wd with a diff lock (used only perhaps half a dozen times in 5 years) can make a big difference in seriously icy conditions, and I've pulled other snow-tyre-equipped cars that have got stuck in car parks on more that one occasion.

But the fact remains that we're happy to drive without carrying chains - indeed, I don't think we actually have any chains that would fit any of our current vehicles.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
No mention of Spikes Spiders and the Like? I've lived and worked in the alps for 16 of the last 19 winters, My car was fitted with the best winter tyres available. A front wheel drive Saab 93 estate for 12 years and a Mondeo since. I have Spikes Spiders which are without doubt the EASIEST deivce to put on & off and give unparrelaled grip. I have only ever had to use them 2 or three times in all that time but the're like insurance. You don't need it till you NEED it.

Never needed mine in anger, but I have been able to add links to resize to current car, which is a huge advantage. In practice they are a doddle to fit once the lug nuts are done. Currently have 4wd with winters so pretty prepped with the spiders also...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@endoman, Did exactly the same from the Saab to the Ford. Resized. Also needed new wheel nut clamps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

Had the Thule Easyfit chains for my Audi - Unfortunately they don’t make them anymore, but they literally took 30 seconds per wheel - Maybe spikes spiders is the solution nowadays?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DanishRider, take a look here, and any questions simply call Adrian up at snowchains.com as he's so knowledgeable etc

https://www.snowchains.com/car-snow-chains/thule-easy-fit
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
@DanishRider, take a look here, and any questions simply call Adrian up at snowchains.com as he's so knowledgeable etc

https://www.snowchains.com/car-snow-chains/thule-easy-fit

Thank you - I should have added that I have a Tesla Model Y, and they don’t make the Easyfit in 255/45R19 Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DanishRider, then isn't that what the K summits are for, pictured above?

Anyway like I say, if you are after chains for the Tesla then go analogue, and call the guy up to discuss your options Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
@endoman, Did exactly the same from the Saab to the Ford. Resized. Also needed new wheel nut clamps.

Yep forgot I needed those also... No trips planned this season, so I will have to relearn how to attach next time!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DanishRider, RUD Centrax covers that size range and are (afaik) as easy to fit as Thule easy fit. I have them, and they take under a minute per side.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have Spike Spider Easy Alpine Pro for our motorhome, not just for the rapid fit but also they are one of the few "easy fit" chains rated for a 5 tonne vehicle. Most motorhome owners are unaware and have chains rated for cars, not heavy vehicles.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have spikes spiders and they are so easy on and off!
Change of vehicle meant buying kits to modify but still better than buying new
ski holidays
DanishRider wrote:
Thank you - I should have added that I have a Tesla Model Y, and they don’t make the Easyfit in 255/45R19 Madeye-Smiley

I've just picked up a set of 2nd hand Summit XXL chains for my ModelY on 19" all-seasons. Fitted them without too much trouble - too about 2/3 minutes having never done it before and that included adjusting the size (removing 1 link). Overall highly recommended.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
I have found blizzaks winter tyres paired with 4WD have yet to let me down.

I have these, but on an AWD car rather than proper 4wd. Again, have never let me down. Added bonus - Blizzaks seem to be very good in very wet weather, often a feature of the trip to and from the mountain (and in the PDS, the actual holiday too!)
latest report
How about these? Even easier use! Cool snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/kIxJobVCRTI
snow report
Hi folk. Hiring a car in Verona for the Dolomites in January. Heard some stories of people needing chains only to discover the hire company has not provided the correct size for their vehicle. Is there an easy way to check the size of the chains and they fit correctly before we set off?

Cheers
ski holidays
I got a set of Spike Spiders when I changed car and indeed, they are genuinely pretty quick to fit. I also found that they seem to be adjustable to a much wider range of wheel and tyre sizes than conventional chains. So the odds are that they are more likely to transfer to a replacement car of a similar spec’. They do cost more, but if you’re into changing cars every 3-4 years, more likely to transfer, and not need to you get new chains.

@Owls101 Yes and no. It’s easy to check the tyre size: on the side of the tyre the size is designated width/height_speed rating_diameter_max load rating e.g. 225/45 Y 17 81V meaning 225mm wide, sidewall height 45% of width, max speed class of Y, for 17” wheels and a max weight rating of 81V. The key numbers are the xxx/yy and the wheel size (225/45 - 17 in the example). If you look on the chain container it should list the tyre sizes they fit in the same format, and your tyre should be on the list. Just be aware that some chains need a bit of adjustment of the links in order to fit the largest or smallest size listed. For example:

And you can see that the example 225/45 - 17 tyes are at the bottom of the list, which is sorted by wheel diameter from 14” to 18”. Actually, these conventional Weissenfels chains fit an unusually wide range of wheel sizes. But note that as the wheel diameter increases, they fit fewer widths within that size.

The ‘no’ response refers to what happens if you arrive and are told - as I was last week at Geneva when picking-up a perfectly average Citroën C:4 - that it “It has winter tyres fitted, but it doesn’t take chains”. This left me in a difficult position. I was 70% certain that that model does take chains, just that they didn’t have any on hand to give me. Or we’re trying to get me to upgrade to an AWD vehicle. But there was also a 30% chance that it was fitted with low-profile wheels that genuinely couldn’t (because there’s not enough room behind them for the chains to rotate safely). In such a case you need to think in advance about your response: one option is to say “Well, I need a vehicle that can take chains. What is the cheapest you have?”. But what do you do if they say that all they have in stock is some big AWD car that costs two or three times as much to rent as the car you reserved?

This whole chains thing is one of my major complaints about all the car rental firms. They’re increasingly sending people out into the mountains in winter without chains when they’re needed, at least as a contingency. Just so they don’t have the cost and hassle of maintaining a stock of snow chains. Moreover, they tell you at booking time the car will be ‘winterised’ and often that chains will be available, then when you turn up, you’re given the “Doesn’t take chains” line.

And just to counter the “I’ve lived in the Alps permanently since the last Ice Age and have never needed chains.” type response: well, great, but I’ve only visited the Alps in winter one or two times each year for the last 20 years and I’ve needed them three times. Not often, then, but on those occasions, I would simply have been stuck without them.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 16-12-23 14:44; edited 19 times in total
latest report
Next up
http://youtube.com/v/P8Ck_zXa19A?si=8lIAvFqMFtkJjibs rwd vs front wheel drive..... you might be surprised with the outcome!

Best bit of French driving I have seen was when a local couldn't get up the hill in his fwd car, spun it round then went flying up the hill in reverse, utilising the engine being over the wheels (making his car rear engined) and with the weight transfer you get when you move, he of course then made it up the hill. It didn't look like his first rodeo....
ski holidays
@LaForet, thank you for the info.
ski holidays
@Skiyeah, thanks. This was obvious to me but also a theme of loads of debates with mates. But what do they know Smile as I grew up with similar conditions as in the video and did frozen lake driving fun weekends in my youth days with mostly friends with old 3serries joining in and occasional 4x4 variant
latest report
Just test fitted the weissenfels automatikas I picked up on ebay for a bit of a steal. All good so feel ready:

All seasons 3PMSF for rain/light snow
Chains for deep snow and ice.

Bound to be dry and warm then Eh oh!
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
@DanishRider, RUD Centrax covers that size range and are (afaik) as easy to fit as Thule easy fit. I have them, and they take under a minute per side.

That is a good option - Are they “small” in footprint on the backside of the tyre ?
snow report
Rob_Quads wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

I've just picked up a set of 2nd hand Summit XXL chains for my ModelY on 19" all-seasons. Fitted them without too much trouble - too about 2/3 minutes having never done it before and that included adjusting the size (removing 1 link). Overall highly recommended.

Great feedback - Would love something like the Thule easyfit, but there isn’t really anything like that out there. Maybe they broke too much as suggested some places online.
ski holidays
MHskier wrote:
Just test fitted the weissenfels automatikas I picked up on ebay for a bit of a steal. All good so feel ready:

All seasons 3PMSF for rain/light snow
Chains for deep snow and ice.

Bound to be dry and warm then Eh oh!

Don’t know what all season you fitted, but the Michelin CC2 is very capable even in pretty deep.
ski holidays
The latest test of GY Vector vs Michelin cc vs summer vs winter tyres
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-group-tests/361369/best-suv-all-season-tyres-2023?fbclid=IwAR1uq1siekFxPsfYEhNo6cq-bVRo3zSGTgkClBuXolITJ00IG4dNFqIdVo8

Essentially, all seasons are 3-400% better grip on snow than summers and within 5% of full winters
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Khumho all season - got decent reviews and couldn't find any discounts for Cross Climates at the time that stopped me going "how much"
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:
Essentially, all seasons are 3-400% better grip on snow than summers and within 5% of full winters

Yep, the best all seasons are now almost as good as full winters on snow.
snow report
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0QTu-BIf44/?igsh=YmN6dmxmOHNxaml6
snow conditions
PMSF - pissed myself flailing?

Gendarmerie don’t care how good a driver you are, they don’t want your immobile vehicle to block acc se for everyone else.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy