Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best online shops - sunglasses suitable for skiing??

Poster: A snowHead
Layne wrote:

The point was if Oakley lenses are so great why would you promote "aftermarket providers, with lenses that seem to me to be as good as the originals"

Why not just buy those in the first place. It was you that suggested it, not me.

Err, I never made any point about Oakley lenses being good. And I was talking about suppliers of lenses made specifically to fit in the designed-for-interchageable-lenses Oakley frames, not other makes of sunglasses. IME the replacement lenses have been just as high a quality as the originals were, a a fraction of the price.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://jerryoftheday.net/collections/send-o-visions
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for Screwfix safety specs, the only downside is that a darker tint would be good at times.
They are designed to stop foreign bodies entering the eye, so they are alsovery good at stopping wind.
Superlightweight
Zero restrictions on peripheral vision

I've used these in the past & found them very good

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-silium-smoke-lens-safety-specs/89563

More recently I've been using these, much lighter & cheap enough to be disposable, and in reality, the best performing ski glasses I've ever used.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-stealth-smoke-lens-safety-spectacle/796fr

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 28-11-23 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find goggles way too hot on all but the coldest days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pfreet wrote:
Bought these and love them. Polarized. Great price for 2 pair, with different lenses. Hold to my head well, never fall off. And the price is right!
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OKH-Polarized-Protection-Sunglasses-Mountain/dp/B0C8N5CH7Z/?tag=amz07b-21

Those look pretty good pfret. How dark are they? I can't see any specs on the Amazon page.

I usually wear Bolle Contour, but they are rated shade/category 2.5 and aren't dark enough. The Screwfix JSP STEALTH SMOKE LENS are also 2.5. The de Walt Fire (available from Screwfix) are cat 3.1, as are the Bolle Contour Polarised models.

The Decathlon model posted higher up in the thread is category 4. Any other good cat 4 glasses recommended which are between safety specs and Oakley price range?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got these Julbos, they came with 2 sets of replaceable lenses: photocromatic, polarised 1-3, and also dark lenses, cat 4. The arms are removable and replaceable with an elastic band, goggles - style:

http://youtube.com/v/uP8gBE3wTlw

Very wind - proof, as they're primarily intended for base jumpers. Sadly, they are discontinued. No idea why, as they're absolutely awesome. I regret not having got another pair at the time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowglider, Can you still buy new replacement lenses for them?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chaletbeauroc, not sure. I've not tried (not needed to - still got the originals). Can look into it. There might be a chance that Julbo France still sells parts/lenses for them, at least in France.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowglider, Was just curious. You must either wear them very little or be ultra careful with them to not need replacements. Mine are always getting scratched, especially the mirror-finish lenses, despite manufacturer's claims of them being ultra resistant. I just accept it as normal wear and tear, but it's why the replaceability is so important to me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chaletbeauroc, they came with some very soft, microfibre pouches for the spare lenses, I always carry them in it when I have them with me. Generally, I do look after my equipment pretty well. But, it's a valid point, I'll certainly try to find out.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tangowaggon wrote:
+1 for Screwfix safety specs, the only downside is that a darker tint would be good at times.
They are designed to stop foreign bodies entering the eye, so they are alsovery good at stopping wind.
Superlightweight

+2

I use these, which I find a notch darker than the smoked lens ones: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-reinforcer-fire-mirror-lens-safety-specs/2356g
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowdave wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Superlightweight

+2

I use these, which I find a notch darker than the smoked lens ones: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-reinforcer-fire-mirror-lens-safety-specs/2356g

£5.98!!! Some folks have more money than sense! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tangowaggon, Very Happy

If you’re properly made of money, for a tenner you can get bolle ones.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to hijack the thread… but linked request… I invested in some Smith 4D Mag goggles a few years back and they are ace.

They came with blue sky day and low light lenses. However the VLT on the low light flash storm is 50% and I’ve been looking at the storm yellow flash lense which has VLT 65%.

Question… is it worth investing another £100 in the yellow flash lense which is specd at 65% VLT versus my current 50% storm lens?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Moorzee10 wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread… but linked request… I invested in some Smith 4D Mag goggles a few years back and they are ace.

They came with blue sky day and low light lenses. However the VLT on the low light flash storm is 50% and I’ve been looking at the storm yellow flash lense which has VLT 65%.

Question… is it worth investing another £100 in the yellow flash lense which is specd at 65% VLT versus my current 50% storm lens?

How often do you ski?....and how often have you skied when you felt that your current low light lens was too dark?
snow conditions
Ski 3 to 4 times a season.

I am happy to invest but just trying to gauge the difference/benefit from folks that know more than I do.
latest report
Moorzee10 wrote:
Ski 3 to 4 times a season.

I am happy to invest but just trying to gauge the difference/benefit from folks that know more than I do.

It's a difficult one, as it will be quite subjective.

I have an original Oakley Persimmon with a 62 VLT and a Prizm Rose with a 26 VLT....and I prefer the latter in flat light.

If I had to guess, I would say that you would get a small improvement, which could be worth getting given how often you ski....but in totally flat light, there is no contrast to see.

Hopefully, someone who owns both can help more.
ski holidays
sean1967 wrote:
I'm also a devout sunglass sporter on the slopes. Only in the snowiest of conditions will I stick on the goggles. If the weather is good, the slopes good and quiet, sunglasses and no helmet is brilliant.

What does the slopes being empty have to do with wearing a helmet or not? Do you have some magical data to suggest that head injuries are less likely? You do realize that Natasha Richardson fell while stationary on a nursery slope?
snow report
jabuzzard wrote:
sean1967 wrote:
I'm also a devout sunglass sporter on the slopes. Only in the snowiest of conditions will I stick on the goggles. If the weather is good, the slopes good and quiet, sunglasses and no helmet is brilliant.

What does the slopes being empty have to do with wearing a helmet or not? Do you have some magical data to suggest that head injuries are less likely? You do realize that Natasha Richardson fell while stationary on a nursery slope?

Truly remarkable snowHead
snow report
snowdave wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Superlightweight

+2

I have a pair of those too. The "fire mirror" surface does scratch fairly easily, but at under £6, it's not a big deal. They are rated cat 3.1, so darker than the usual cat 2.5 sunglasses.

Bolle do some cat 4 "Pathfinder" glasses, but the price shoots up to £80... are there are cat 4 safety specs anywhere?
ski holidays
jabuzzard wrote:

The data suggest that people can do whatever they want as long as they don't break the law. I'm a huge advocate for wearing protective gear but I do adjust it depending on what I do, e.g. I don't drive a car in full protective suit even though data would definitely support it. I'm sure vast majority of us do something what data wouldn't support but we could discuss it in a different thread.

Back to the topic. I have a pair of Salomon aksium photo (cat 1-3) and after bad experience during flat light I bought oakley pink prizm. Someone said to me that if the weather is sh*t then it's sh*t nonmatter what goggles I wear, and I can't tell if it made any difference to me swapping from one to the other, even though I tried both during the same conditions .
latest report
What about sunglasses for people with a narrow face (Once described as having a "slender head" by my niece) ?
snow report
snowdave wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Superlightweight

+2

Plus another one. I use the fire mirror lenses on sunny days and they do a slightly tinted mirror lens called an indoor/outdoor lens which I use when it’s overcast. I usually take a spare pair of each. They do the job and I’m not worried about them getting lost, damaged or nicked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy