Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone tried Carv?

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, devils advocate but, in your example, focusing on flappy arms might not be fixing an underlying issue with, say the weighting of the skis at the appropriate time.....and I don't think Carv measures arm flappiness Toofy Grin Very Happy

It can do! one of the new option is to send a video of you skiing together with the data and their "AI"/instructor will give feedback on your technique, supposedly. I haven't used my Carv in a couple of years because it causes foot cramp.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, devils advocate but, in your example, focusing on flappy arms might not be fixing an underlying issue with, say the weighting of the skis at the appropriate time.....and I don't think Carv measures arm flappiness Toofy Grin Very Happy

Yeah but it makes things better for others who have to watch Flappy McPenguin on the slope wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, assume the video is getting posted next?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, real life instructors have backed up the flappy arms symptom, said video was filmed by an instructor.

@swskier, okay that makes sense. I don't really ski alone and not an overly competitive so that backs up my assumption that the Carb probably isn't for me. I like the idea of the tech but don't think I have much of a use for it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnoodyMcFlude, is it posted on here Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnoodyMcFlude, there's a lot of drills in the app you can work on while skiing, or you can aim to work on one specific area of skiing, and it'll give you feedback, and it won't effect your skiing, in that you can just do it while skiing along. You'll often then get a bit of feedback after every run with an idea to think about. It wouldn't effect the rest of the group if you were using it.

It doesn't just have to be competitive. If you like tech and you like skiing, it's good fun. The points I raised about competition and skiing alone work well for me, as I do ski alone often, but there's all sorts to it.

Can it replace an instructor? No, but, it certainly can supplement what instructors are saying and they can use the data to drive home a point they might be making, and the stats can show a definite improvement before and after working on something in a lesson.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, no, I've never even seen it myself Toofy Grin

@swskier, the word drills fills me with dread Laughing I'm not concerned about it affecting the group, just the impact it has to being able to keep having a chat etc.

I'm going to stick with the "it ain't for me" opinion I think, happy that it works for others though
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SnoodyMcFlude, that's fair enough, each to their own. I don't find that it effects any ability to have a chat. I often have it on with no headphone when I ski on my own, and if i'm on a chair with others, i'll get my phone out and turn it right down so it doesn't effect anyone else.

Also, drills doesn't have to be a bad thing Laughing for example one setting you can do is working on your balance, and it just gives you an instant feedback with a ping to show it's done correctly on every turn, and then it might say something like move your weight forwards or back. It just helps to get the body in a good position.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, I'm sure the previous comment was at least a little bit tongue-in-cheek, but yes, diagnosis should start from the bottom up, not the top down. As long as the skis are doing the right thing on the snow it's not important what the arms are doing... unless you want to look good, of course. wink OTOH it's rare to find anyone flapping their arms about who is skiing well, but it's often more of s symptom than an underlying cause.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
new version coming mid October that doesn't have the insole so no more boot fit compromises

interesting, can you say how this will work?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

CEM wrote:
new version coming mid October that doesn't have the insole so no more boot fit compromises

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing.

The insole must help for pressure detection to figure out the forces from the ski turning but maybe they have enough data from the millions of turns they've recorded to realise they can figure out the same information using just the accelerometer, gyroscopes and magnetometer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

CEM wrote:

Quote:

The insole must help for pressure detection to figure out the forces from the ski turning but maybe they have enough data from the millions of turns they've recorded to realise they can figure out the same information using just the accelerometer, gyroscopes and magnetometer.

yes, that's what i was thinking, these things are very sensitive nowadays. Also, maybe of the 36 sensors some were just not useful.

Revisiting the website it seems to show a small box with a clip, presumably one on each boot (or maybe ski, but unlikely). Anyway we'll find out on 14th October. Having decided to take the plunge this year, I'm on the waitlist but am a bit apprehensive about a totally new product!

Can fully understand why @CEM can't say anything until the release date
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richb67 wrote:
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

CEM wrote:

Quote:

yes, that's what i was thinking, these things are very sensitive nowadays. Also, maybe of the 36 sensors some were just not useful.

Revisiting the website it seems to show a small box with a clip, presumably one on each boot (or maybe ski, but unlikely). Anyway we'll find out on 14th October. Having decided to take the plunge this year, I'm on the waitlist but am a bit apprehensive about a totally new product!

Can fully understand why @CEM can't say anything until the release date

Wonder if it's any different in shape/size to the battery pack that was clipped to the boot with the previous version?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you can see it here if you pause but there is nothing to get a sense of actual scale ie if it's 1 cm or 4cm

http://youtube.com/v/C-45xYh6jfg?t=36
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@richb67, that looks very similar to the current battery packs, so probably 2-3 inches tops.

Looking at that video it would suggest there's going to be some focus around the off piste elements, not just piste skiing and carving.
ski holidays
New adaptive 'Fun' telemetry metrics?
Additional glove sensors to optimise your pole handling?
snow report
I'd struggle to see how they can measure "foot" pressure without an insole? Be interesting to see....or will they back off some stats to show if your weight is forward/backward etc vs (what I believe was) pretty detailed info on big toe/little toe pressure??

Can any current owner give a bit of info on what foot pressure metrics are provided thru a turn?
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
New adaptive 'Fun' telemetry metrics?
Additional glove sensors to optimise your pole handling?

i) Cool - will it give you a Flappy McPenguin or Gorilla Steez ranking or even my own achilles heel, the "grooming a small child by patting them on the head"?
ii) Let's hope there's a version optimized for mitts also and maybe the disciples of the one true edge can get in on the act with "Kelly Arm" rating?
ski holidays
To be honest the best enhancement would probably be a mic to detect whether you were giggling, laughing in delight, going "oh poo-poo" or "W@nker!" or furiously berating yourself for an imperfect turn*. Then it could simply be a matter of giving you a "carry on" or "you're taking this all too seriously go have a word with yourself" rating.

*Never forget you'll only ever do your best turn once in your life. Don't waste it during a tedious drill, make sure it's when you're blowing poo-poo up like a powdah gangsta and impressing all/some/none of the laydeez/fellas.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, well how else will you know if you are enjoying yourself unless ze machina tells you so? Feelings? Pah.

Remember kids, real fun only comes through conformity: THE JOY OF OBEDIENCE... JOY-BEY!
snow conditions
I'm going to be interview co-founder Jamie Grant on The Ski Podcast for Episode 224, publishing 25 October if you'd like to hear more about the new product.
latest report
@iainm, that'll be interesting!
snow report
On facebook, CARV have asked people to upload videos, pictures etc of them skiing, and if yours is used in a promotional video you'll win a years subscription.

It's on the group called Carv Skiers' Community
ski holidays
The launch date for the new Carv 2.0 is 14 October
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, well how else will you know if you are enjoying yourself unless ze machina tells you so? Feelings? Pah.

Remember kids, real fun only comes through conformity: THE JOY OF OBEDIENCE... JOY-BEY!

To be fair, we are in an era where yoofs have to announce things like "that is hilarious", "I'm literally dying" or even "lol" so that you know they find something funny, the ideal extension would be for a machine to take the heavy lifting out of that as well and just flash a light up so the rest of us know.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... maybe the disciples of the one true edge can get in on the act with "Kelly Arm" rating?
Seth front arm and Terje rear, although it depends what you're trying to do .. needs to be configurable.

To me though, it's everything that's bad about skiing in one product. So we're unlikely to suffer from it
snow report
Is tomorrow the big update moment?
ski holidays
Thew2002 wrote:
Is tomorrow the big update moment?

it’s next Monday 14th, although so far they have said that Carv 2 will work off piste and on moguls, what they describe as “all terrain coaching” and it doesn’t look to be an insole.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Teaser yesterday said:

Carv 2 launches in 4 days on October 14th — a system designed for every skier.
No installation or set up
All-terrain coaching
Our most accurate system yet.
snow report
Slightly carv related Q - What are some of the best stretches to do in the lead up to the season to potentially increase my carving ability?
latest report
Thew2002 wrote:
Slightly carv related Q - What are some of the best stretches to do in the lead up to the season to potentially increase my carving ability?

take a look at this
https://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/technique-lab/
snow conditions
And we wait...
ski holidays
Suspect they won't send out launch emails until North America wakes up.
snow conditions
emails out
info here
https://getcarv.com/

marketing blurb..
No complicated setup — just clip Carv 2 onto your boots, and go.

The sensors track your movements in real time, helping you improve as you ski.

Improvement doesn’t stop at the groomers.

Carv 2 automatically detects the snow surface and adjusts your coaching to give you the right tips.

Pricing - free with a season pass and £40 "discount" so £159, says for waitlisted people but who knows
snow report
Wonder if they’ve dropped the fore/aft pressure measurements?

Edit yes they have!

WHAT HAPPENS TO PRESSURE?
Carv 1 needed pressure metrics to measure your balance while you skied. However, thanks to a breakthrough with our new Motion AI, Carv 2 can now do this more accurately than ever before using motion data.

As a result, we have removed the previous pressure metrics and replaced them with our improved balance metrics (early forward movement, mid-turn balance, and transition weight release).
snow conditions
@kitenski,
more marketing blurb

"6-AXIS MOTION, Gyroscope and accelerometer"

and

"Carv 2 is a self-contained, highly accurate gyroscope and accelerometer. No installation, wires, or inserts.

It uses a process called 'Sensor Fusion' to detect the position and movement of your boots as you ski - allowing the Carv Motion AI system to know the exact movement of your skis.

The Carv app uses this to analyze and coach your technique in real time."

so it looks like they've dropped they pressure sensor stuff and are purely using directional and speed data in 3 dimensions, but someone smarter than me may want to chip-in!

Maybe they figured out that knowing the angles and speeds of each ski can be used to give the same level of feedback as the pressure sensors. Thinking out loud - Obviously an instructor doesn't "know" where your weight is when they tell you to put more on your little/big toe.
ski holidays
Might be worth popping along to see it at the Ski Show this weekend.
ski holidays
This is so weird. So i can buy it now with a season pass for £159, or i can 'upgrade' my current pass for £177....

How long does the £159 deal last out of interest?
snow report
Thew2002 wrote:
How long does the £159 deal last out of interest?

The website suggests that the £40 off is for waitlist access, which is supposedly for 24 hours - so based on that I'd assume it's very limited. But marketing is king... wink
snow report
Someone is saying there is an email which may give a 2 year upgrade for £200... This is such a mess of information...

Should i take the £159 option or hope i get an email for £200 for 2 years...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy