Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poles

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Carbon Poles are much thinner, which gives less wind resistance

It's the classic going to an engineer with a brick on a piece of paper and asking how to make the piece of paper lighter and more aerodynamic snowHead Unless highly competitive racer (downhill, X country, or skimo) wind resistance of poles is definitely something you don't need to worry about!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get touring poles so you can try different lengths. Everyone else is wrong and I’m right. ;p
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JayRo, I'm afraid I'm to old a dog (and skied too much on my 115s) to want to change them now!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boarder2020,

You are absolutely correct.

The speeds at which recreational skiers ski at doesn't really matter as far as aerodymanics is concerned (ref Bernoulli effect). If drag was significant our ski poles would have small dimples down the shafts to reduce drag. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@welshflyer, only if they were rotating rather quickly Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you mean Stokes' law. I always wondered if that was why y'all are in the back seat quite so much.

Sticks... some kind of dangerous skier thing. The carbon ones look funkier; anyone know why they're not more popular?
How about people skiing without sticks - that seemed to be a fashion for a while but didn't last.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

anyone know why they're not more popular?

Price? Although you do see loads of tourers with carbon sticks (and everything else) ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@phil_w,

Thank you. I hadn't come across Stokes'Law.

Stokes'Law appears to apply specifically to spheres, hence dimples on golf balls. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@phil_w,

Thank you. I hadn't come across Stokes'Law.

Stokes'Law appears to apply specifically to spheres, hence dimples on golf balls. Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer wrote:
@boarder2020,

You are absolutely correct.

The speeds at which recreational skiers ski at doesn't really matter as far as aerodymanics is concerned (ref Bernoulli effect). If drag was significant our ski poles would have small dimples down the shafts to reduce drag. snowHead snowHead

It's not even about speed. Go as fast as you like, the effect of poles are still pretty much negligible on the entire system. The potential speed gains are so marginal they are simply not worth worrying about unless your an Olympian and that 0.1 second may be the difference between gold and silver.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welshflyer wrote:
If drag was significant our ski poles would have small dimples down the shafts to reduce drag. snowHead snowHead

Actually you'd likely be better off with a sandpaper like surface on the poles. It's often windy in the mountains so you're not dealing with lamina airflow so might be better off with deliberatly turbulent boundary layer, as the increased level of energy in the boundry layer will keep flow attached around the pole for longer than a lamina one. Can't find it right now but there's some pictures of a bowling ball being dropped through oil (for visualization) both 'clean' and with a patch of sand stuck to the leading 'edge'. Uni. was a long time ago but from memory flow separates before you reach the widest diameter with a small ball/lamina bound layer but goes at least to/possibly past the widest point with a triggered turbulent one.

Of course there are many reasons to NOT have sandpaper covered ski poles - not least the fact it will you'd probably need detailed measuring equipment to notice the difference!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stephap wrote:
If you didn’t want anything fancy I’ve got a pair of barely used Salomon grey poles in a 125, bought when I was deciding between sizes, you can have for free.

Whereabouts in MK are you? I might be able to grab them one time when I'm passing. I'm happy to pay/make a small charitable donation.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Carbon Poles are much thinner, which gives less wind resistance

It's the classic going to an engineer with a brick on a piece of paper and asking how to make the piece of paper lighter and more aerodynamic snowHead Unless highly competitive racer (downhill, X country, or skimo) wind resistance of poles is definitely something you don't need to worry about!

At no point did I say you should worry about it, or it should be an important consideration when buying Poles - In fact, my advice was to get cheap Aluminium ones. The OP asked if there was anything to differentiate between poles - and that was what I was trying to do in my initial post.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deveron53 wrote:
I found some poles of the correct length (traditional method of measuring...) in a Cash Converters type of place. They are ancient alu Look poles. They have the older style large diameter flange on the top, which I understand was sized to be larger diameter than the average eye socket to help prevent an injury. Has that now been dropped? because I see poles of much smaller end flange these days.

Big flange (my new band name) grips are better IMO because you can palm on the top for leverage when poling flats etc. Though the big flange can tear as the rubber gets old.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Deveron53 wrote:
I found some poles of the correct length (traditional method of measuring...) in a Cash Converters type of place. They are ancient alu Look poles. They have the older style large diameter flange on the top, which I understand was sized to be larger diameter than the average eye socket to help prevent an injury. Has that now been dropped? because I see poles of much smaller end flange these days.

Big flange (my new band name) grips are better IMO because you can palm on the top for leverage when poling flats etc. Though the big flange can tear as the rubber gets old.

Mine are sort of 95% rigid and see through. Still transparent after about 30 years!
latest report
Deveron53 wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Deveron53 wrote:

Mine are sort of 95% rigid and see through. Still transparent after about 30 years!

In the attic, I have some Lange Ski Poles in very Dark Blue, with large Orange hard plastic handles (Leather straps with safety release) and large Orange baskets. They matched their SLS skis from 40 years ago. There won't be many of them on the mountain - in fact, I doubt many people even know Lange made skis.
snow report
Simple answer, the best poles by far are the Leki ones with screw off handles and inbuilt flasks for Schnapps / Brandy etc. Many a strange look given in the Gondola when someone has these. You must however ensure you drink equal amounts from each pole or you will ski round in circles all day.
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:
stephap wrote:
If you didn’t want anything fancy I’ve got a pair of barely used Salomon grey poles in a 125, bought when I was deciding between sizes, you can have for free.

Whereabouts in MK are you? I might be able to grab them one time when I'm passing. I'm happy to pay/make a small charitable donation.

Sorry I’ve already arranged to give them to James next week.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, Toofy Grin
I was given a fabulous pair of Leki "top of the range". Christmas Present Very Happy
I was chuffed and looking forward to using them.
I was renting skis so the poles were not traveling in a comfy ski bag.
They went in the boot of the car to the airport and my bag went on top....
I'm sure I heard a cracking sound as the bag went down.

Sure enough it broke in half.
I had the Leki gloves as well to go on the the hooky things.
But I don't bother with straps, I find they are a waste of time.
@geoffers recommends Goode poles, and I agree, they were the best poles I ever had, as thin as a pencil, extremely tough carbon.
They lasted for years ... until I left them in the boot room as I rushed for the tranfer bus.
They dont seem to be available anymore Crying or Very sad

I agree with @Snowheid most of us are using poles that are way too long for good ski stance.
I use poles 20cm shorter than the "text book method" of right angle etc.
snow report
stephap wrote:

Sorry I’ve already arranged to give them to James next week.

No worries. Thanks for responding.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
@geoffers recommends Goode poles, and I agree, they were the best poles I ever had, as thin as a pencil, extremely tough carbon.
They lasted for years ... until I left them in the boot room as I rushed for the tranfer bus.
They dont seem to be available anymore Crying or Very sad

I too bought some Goode Ski Poles - years ago, I think from S&R. They lasted a long time until one snapped as I was polling away from a Chairlift, which coped me over a banking. Embarassed I replaced them with some Leki Carbon with ordinary straps (which I still use). If these break, I'm likely going back to Aluminium - probably my Lange.
ski holidays
@DrLawn,

Geoffers posted a link to the Goode website where you can buy new poles or parts. However you would have to pay for postage from the USA.

I have ordered 2 pairs of new collets/ice tips & baskets for my very old Goode poles and they are already in the post. The parts cost $20 and the postage is another $20.

If I didn't have my very old 10.4mm carbon shafted Goode poles I would have bought bought some 12.7mm carbon tubing here in the UK and bought handles, straps, collets and baskets from Goode in the USA and "built" new poles.

If you still have the broken Leki pole you may be able to replace the carbon shaft (search Ebay for carbon tubing of the correct diameter). Searching You Tube shows you how to replace handles, collets and baskets on Leki poles.
latest report
@welshflyer, Thank you for the advice.
The carbon tubing might have been a good idea but these Leki ones were not cylindrical tubes but a "D" shaped format ...
they were Right and Left as well to add to the phaaf.
Imagine skiing with the wrong poles in your hands Puzzled

Of course one pole still survives intact .. so I can always have a very posh 115cm walking stick.
Someone else took it home for me so its up in Scotland now.

I'm not going to bother buying anymore poles, I'll just take what they offer in the rental shop.
Perhaps a pair of telescopic ones would be the answer if I ever take my own skis away again.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:

Of course one pole still survives intact .. so I can always have a very posh 115cm walking stick.

As do I.

I'd donate it to you, but I think it's a 120....Although they are adjustable.

Edit. It's not the Goode Poles that you have one left - Doh!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 18-11-23 12:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@DrLawn,

I too bought "D" sectioned Leki poles which I used for a couple of days and didn't like them, they are basically as new. They are 120cm long.

If you want to buy them I'll sell them for £70 plus p&p.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
What differentiates pole are things like:

- Whether they are made of Aluminium, Carbon or Composite. Carbon Poles are much thinner, which gives less wind resistance and a slight "give" when planting, but are often much more expensive.
- The size and material of the handle (softish or hard plastic). You also used to be able to get a "Sword Grip".
- Whether there is a safety release on the strap
- Whether there is a slight forward angle to help with planting position ie. Not quite a straight pole.
- Whether adjustable or whether it comes with a Powder Basket

Despite all that, I would probably go for cheap Aluminium ones - much like you have always used. While Pole Planting still has its place in modern skiing, most of the time it's more of a "Pole Touch"....and with fast carved GS turns, planting the pole is not advisable.

Also, expensive Carbon Poles are very attractive to the casual thief - so need careful watching.

I am still using my Life-Link Alpine Extreme Composite poles. These have a couple of features not listed above. The main one is the ability to remove the handles and screw them together to make an avalanche probe. The second is a flex tip though I am not sure what the advantages of those are. This is in addition to being carbon fibre, safety release on the strap, forward angle built into the grip and interchangeable baskets. Basically, they tick all the feature boxes. The removable handles make them theft resistance as you can quickly remove the handles when leaving them and poles without handles are useless to anyone else. Which also eliminates someone taking them by mistake. Unfortunately, Life-Link was taken over by Scott (as I recall) and they stopped doing them Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Quote:

They dont seem to be available anymore

Still have a pair of these from back in 2000, and love em. Unfortunately the rubber has worn off the handles now.

BTW they are still available, price wise are cheaper now than they were back in 2000. unfortunately no stockists in the UK now. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@jabuzzard, You can't beat a good gadget. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Especially not if they're mandatory:

https://www.powder.com/trending-news/fis-mandates-poles-in-competitions
snow report
If anyone's got some poles in fluorescent pink or yellow in at least 125cms then I might be interested in purchasing...
ski holidays
@welshflyer, Those Leki poles would be a great deal for someone...
But they would be too long for me .. I'm down to 110cm now.

Very nice and flashy poles.
ski holidays
I prefer a longer stick myself, I’m 172 & use a 120. I also prefer a longer ski, currently a 186.
snow report
@Deveron53, there are a few brands around ...
ski holidays
Deveron53 wrote:
If anyone's got some poles in fluorescent pink or yellow in at least 125cms then I might be interested in purchasing...

Or just take an existing pair of 125 poles and tap up eBay for some rolls of fluorescent coloured tape...
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Deveron53 wrote:

Or just take an existing pair of 125 poles and tap up eBay for some rolls of fluorescent coloured tape...

Or get a rattle can or two Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Deveron53, by "at least" 125cms what do you mean? Would 225cms work?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Deveron53, by "at least" 125cms what do you mean? Would 225cms work?

Yes, have you got some?
ski holidays
@Deveron53, pretty sure I can have some made up ...
snow conditions
I'm glad this created so much traffic, and I got to see a Snowhead outside a bash too!
ski holidays
The ski pole parts that I ordered from "Goode" on the west coast of the USA 2 weeks ago will be delivered today.

5 days of that 2 week delivery time has been here in the UK.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy