Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas week resort recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This would seem sensible as I am not sure vehicle will get into the underground car park! I have concluded after trips this year all pools in France are cold, I’d prefer Switzerland for this reason!! Even the public pool in les saises sounded cold so we intend to bring shorty wetsuits, I know the French will think we are weird but rather them than me & isn’t the first time we have done this but I suspect we won’t get told off in an apartment building vs attempting this in a public pool! Also my comment about the latter was I wasn’t expecting my children to off piste to any kind of situation to get to our accommodation. I know how it will go they will finish lesson & immediately take their skis off anyway!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't ski - it's across a road, though Candide Thovex might have a go at it on a good day. You certainly won't be allowed shortie wetsuits in the public pool - it's budgie smugglers only for blokes. I'd have no idea whether they'd be allowed in Les Alpages. Probably not by regulation! A camper would not have got into our garage - our car was an ordinary car with ski bars on top and only just got in.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had a quick look at AirBnB. Some of the locations are impossible to puzzle out, even knowing the area. They are nearly all described as "villard sur Doron" because that's the postal code location, but Villard is 10kms down a very windy road - a major challenge in snow, chains often required. Is the place you've booked definitely in Les Alpages?

La Perle des Alpes also has a pool. That's in the same vicinity, but not exactly the same place - further from the lifts, and shops, and ski school meeting place but is genuinely "ski in" and a bit more "ski out" than Les Alpages. And more attractive, I guess.

If your AirBnB has no reviews it might be wise to correspond with the host and establish a bit of a relationship. My suspicion is probably entirely unfounded!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once we booked, it came up with the full address, block number, apartment number & les alpages so hopefully it’s not anywhere else… we did look at la perle but that bit more expensive. It’s a gamble Airbnb & I’ll be honest we’ve often not had great experiences, but hopefully we don’t have bad luck this time
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bet it'll be fine. they're quite well specified apartments. Just be sure you've ascertained the situation on linen and towels. Which are by no means always provided in French rentals. You'll also need to check your travel insurance covers you for any damage to the place.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I’m pretty sure nothing is included!! Probably giving ourselves unnecessary stress to worry about booked accommodation & the weather. Fingers crossed it all works out though & it isn’t excessively busy!! Thanks for all your help Eh oh!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's snowing. https://m.webcam-hd.com/les-saisies/centre-station
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rh2205 wrote:
I have concluded after trips this year all pools in France are cold

I've noticed this. They didn't used to be cold -- I think many places must have turned the temperature down a degree or two last year to save some money.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
“Rh2205 wrote:
I have concluded after trips this year all pools in France are cold

I've noticed this. They didn't used to be cold -- I think many places must have turned the temperature down a degree or two last year to save some money.”

It seems that some people go to the Alps in the middle of winter to swim, and it’s undoubtedly a subjective thing - but to my mind, when planning a ski holiday, practically every other consideration takes a higher priority.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I never once went to the much-publicised pool in Saisies and I would not have wanted to pay the high costs of a pool in our residence. I can just imagine the arguments at the co-pro meeting about what temperature to maintain! We did go to one place in Austria, many years ago, which had an indoor/outdoor thermally heated pool. That was terrific, but far too warm to do any actual swimming. I am a complete wimp about cold water these days though when I was young I swam in the sea in South Wales from March - November. Must have been mad. If there's one thing I dislike more than chilly pools though, it's over-heated "wellness centres".

A pool is a useful way of entertaining kids though. And better for them than the inevitable screens.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
<laughs> Pretty much all hotel pools are always too warm, I think because they're not intended to be actually swum in. Many UK pools can be too hot too - I suppose it depends on the clientele. I vaguely hope that hot tubs may relieve that problem a bit: if you want to stew in warm water without actually swimming, those are the place to be. And you don't need to contort to keep your hair dry there either.

I like pools after snow sports because they use different muscles; it's a warm-down activity.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes children love swimming (mostly in warm pools) but with the right wetsuit will get in the cold French ones too! They don’t have the commitment/focus to ski all day. Mine also love jumping in really hot pools, it was a serious consideration so thought about booking Le monetier for this reason because France can’t heat any other pools well & I actually quite liked that resort in summer seemed to have a lot for children & their favourite thermal bath was the hottest one! We are probably spoilt with the super warm David Lloyd pool we use twice a week makes it hard to like anywhere else except monetier.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How old are your kids, @Rh2205? In our family, and now with grandchildren, it's usually the parents who are more ready to call it a day. And then the kids will play outside in the snow till it's too dark to see. One of our favourite stops in Saisies, just at the very top of the beginner slope, beside the magic carpet, is known in our family as the "Laughing Café" because my neurotic sister in law always thought everybody was laughing at her. It's cheap, does great frites and wings, and is a convenient meeting point. You must try it. It is generally full of parents having a break and a beer whilst their kids either play in the snow at the side of the restaurant or go round and round the magic carpet and whizz down the slope.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry Pam after all your help we ended up cancelling & booking Flaine. We could just fly there with crystal from our nearest airport, really great ski in/out location, with pool & sauna right by a ski school which does 3hr lessons for less than we could find anywhere that ticked even some of these boxes in Les Saises, even the ski pass in Flaine will be the same price if we book the early bird (will give it another couple of week before assuming the cold has set in). It will definitely be on my to visit list as it does sound great but I think we maybe missed all the good accommodation options at the right price for a Christmas booking at the location we needed Sad.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a good holiday, @Rh2205. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy