Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ferry to the Alpes. Can I take my pork pie?

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx wrote:
@biddpyat, I've got 3 jars in.my cupboard..just take a jar or a freezer bag full
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, slow cookers are brilliant. Dump some browned beef, onions, mushrooms and a bottle of wine in the before setting off and when you return you have a beautiful aroma and lovely stew ready. 15 minutes work in the morning while everyone else is faffing about.

Yes I have a slow cooker, sharp knive and a sharpening stone in the apartment already but if you are driving to a rented apartment I suggest taking them.

I have smuggled into France brussel sprouts and parsnips in the past for Christmas dinner. They can sometimes be hard to find in French supermarkets.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brussel sprouts can definitely stay at home.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
biddpyat wrote:
I still don't quite get why English people insist on bringing their English food with them,

You know, back in the day, even Everest expedition brought along pressed shirts! It’s probably a culture or tradition thing.

The English doesn’t have a monopoly on that idiosyncrasy either. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But pressed shirts were difficult to find around Everest base camp, whereas wholesome food / ingredients can be bought in almost every ski resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are very few things I feel the need to take with me. Yorkshire Tea bags for the hubster maybe? If anything it's a picnic for the first day and the food for the dogs. Of course you can buy dog food, but not always the brand your dog likes and for us, we need a round trip to the pet shop when we really would rather be skiing. I've sometimes brought a spice paste for a curry or two, as the ingredients can be hard to find. First night dinner is bought en- route when we stop for fuel, as there's a supermarket next door, along with the essentials for breakfast next morning.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First night dinner for us is usually a sprint to the take away pizzaria which doesn't close until 10:00 pm otherwise it is the emergency stock. A 5 AM departure usually gets us to Le Arcs about 9:00 pm depending on how the tunnel goes and of course the M25.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would agree bringing first night dinner (and 1st breakfast) can really smooth out the start of the week. Especially when the timing is tight. But beyond that? There’re supermarkets, even if not the most well stocked ones.

I just can’t fathom planning a whole week’s menu ahead of time, let alone pre-making every meal. Never mind carting it across the channel, up into the mountains. Speaking of up into the mountains, does the OP’s wife know baking at altitude takes different amount of time?

garyyb wrote:

My wife goes pretty hard core... like breaking bad. I'm taking frozen lasagne, oven ready bread dough

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, I can see the point of the dog food. Nothing worse than a dog after a tin of different food. Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobinS wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, Canned Confit of Duck is delicious Cool

given the botulism maybe avoid the canned food at the moment
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
RobinS wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, Canned Confit of Duck is delicious Cool

given the botulism maybe avoid the canned food at the moment

But that was from some sardines that were home 'canned' by the restaurant that served them later to customers. Canned food from large scale canned food manufacturers are, one would suspect, likely to have much more rigorous processes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
biddpyat wrote:
I still don't quite get why English people insist on bringing their English food with them,

You know, back in the day, even Everest expedition brought along pressed shirts! It’s probably a culture or tradition thing.

The English doesn’t have a monopoly on that idiosyncrasy either. Toofy Grin
Oh I know that, actually I have a group of those old clay pots, that says suitable for safari . Perhaps I shouldn't have actually said English, but people, out from stuff that has a unique flavour and you can't live a week without it, or that it's just not worth buying in another country,
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@biddpyat, I presume many English Victorian explorers wouldn't have gone on expeditions without a pot or two of Gentleman's Relish! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
biddpyat wrote:
I still don't quite get why English people insist on bringing their English food with them

biddpyat wrote:
I take kenco instant coffee to Austria

Surely from just these 2 posts you can see that each person is very much different an entitled to take their own choice and nothing is actually wrong in this situation! Laughing We all do holidays differently and that is pretty ok really!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Perhaps the poster doesn’t want to spend their time cooking after skiing and doesn't want to eat out all the time. Makes perfect sense to me.
French ‘ready’ food is shite, canned tartiflette anyone?

Yeah, too complicated to get in to but a combination of allergies and early week logistics, with young children. Plus we have a big enough car so why not. I expect we'll still buy 75% of what's consumed.
latest report
In years gone by when we had small children and we used to fly, I would pack mini boxes of cereal, tea bags and a small jar of coffee, so there was always something for an emergency breakfast, and even some dried packet soups, just in case of travel delays and arriving in a ski resort late at night. Do I even remember dried orange juice powder? If we stopped for a comfort break at a services, one of us would try and find some milk if local shops were going to be closed and pick up sugar sachets if we had a coffee in the airport.
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
I still don't quite get why English people insist on bringing their English food with them

French culture tends to be that you should cook everything from scratch, or buy it fresh from the deli. Their microwave ready meals are generally rubbish compared to the UK and much smaller portions.

And certain things just aren't available - if you like a weekly Indian curry (or Chinese other than sweet & sour), you're going to struggle to find any kind of choice for ready made sauces, pappadoms, naan breads or even pilau rice. Carrefour stock Tandoori and Tikka Masala and that's your lot. The "British" sections in places like Meribel have more choice but they're much more expensive than the UK so you might as well bring your favourites with you.
ski holidays
I hate to imagine what would happen if such a person had to go without their weekly curry.
snow conditions
Legend. wrote:
biddpyat wrote:

biddpyat wrote:
I take kenco instant coffee to Austria

Surely from just these 2 posts you can see that each person is very much different an entitled to take their own choice and nothing is actually wrong in this situation! Laughing We all do holidays differently and that is pretty ok really!
yes I do admit ill bring a small ziplock of instant coffee, but as I said in another post I understand small things that may just not be worth getting in the resort and leaving after you, the coffee, is because I have several cups before I go out in the morning, hubby uses the coffee machines, too strong for me. I get the tea coffee, maybe curry paste , etc small stuff. But the European supermarkets have a great selection and its not hard to find most of what your looking for.
ski holidays
JayRo wrote:
I hate to imagine what would happen if such a person had to go without their weekly curry.

If you're a seasonnaire, there will inevitably come a point when you get an irresistible craving... Toofy Grin
latest report
I am a pretty cosmopolitan sort of person, I enjoy shopping for food locally (more than at home, as I like to sell out local delicacies) and yet I never travel ANYWHERE without Marmite. Laughing
snow report
I lived in Germany for four years when getting a decent curry was almost impossible. The deprivation just made the trip to Drummond St on my visits back every 18 months or so even more fragrant.
snow conditions
I know some people who originated from NE and now lived down in Buckinghamshire, who used to get a curry from a Newcastle Indian takeaway to freeze and bring to the EoSB. they were flying too. Imagine if it had leaked in the case.
snow conditions
We take loadsa stuff when we go - yes they sell stuff in french supermarkets but it’s so expensive! we stay for several weeks sometimes 2 months at a time, and the cost of these things add up a lot - a box of cereal is like €4,
(And really tiny and really sugary) we’d go through it in 2 days, a box of shredded wheat/bran flakes (bigger and much less added sugar) from Aldi is like £1, so obviously we take quite a lot with us. Tinned tomato, spices, noodles, crisps, bread for toast, bagels, wraps, oat milk etc i’ve even taken butternut squash because it’s £1 in the shop here, it’s €4.99 out there. I’ve never been searched and am actually considering taking the cold box with some salmon in it… we have quite a healthy diet so this idea of eating mountains of pastries, pate, cheese, and confit duck (while nice for a rare treat) gives me a literal tummy ache.

We have a freezer, not just ice box in a fridge, so straight in the freezer it goes. We save hundreds of euros this way compared to not taking anything and buying everything out there.

Likewise i bring some stuff home that they do better out there - lime squash being my fav, i bring back like 10 bottles of the stuff. Uk stuff has a much sweeter taste, the french stuff (U citron vert) has that lovely bitter balance it is impossible to find here.
snow report
The prime reason for taking stuff with you if driving and you have the space is to stop shopping eating into your skiing/ travel/ chilling time. That and the high prices/ low selection in on hill supermarkets.
snow report
Shocked €4 is cheap for a box of cereal, but then I'm in Ireland where they even tax the air we breathe.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
The prime reason for taking stuff with you if driving and you have the space is to stop shopping eating into your skiing/ travel/ chilling time. That and the high prices/ low selection in on hill supermarkets.
I shop in the evenings when I have come from the mountain.
snow report
@garyyb,

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
biddpyat wrote:
Shocked €4 is cheap for a box of cereal, but then I'm in Ireland where they even tax the air we breathe.

*makes note to take cereal to Ireland*
snow report
biddpyat wrote:

Which is fine provided a) you're not knackered, b) it's not an uphill walk both ways, c) the rest of the population doesn't have the same idea at the same time and d) you're prepared to elbow old ladies aside to grab the last tub of raspberry ripple ( c @spyderjon).
snow conditions
Extremophile wrote:
biddpyat wrote:

*makes note to take cereal to Ireland*
There is a laughing out loud gif on Twitter that would suit this, I think of all the places you visit, IRELAND is the place to bring your food too, everything is mad expensive.
snow report
I've never had any problem getting in Very Happy
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
biddpyat wrote:

Which is fine provided a) you're not knackered, b) it's not an uphill walk both ways, c) the rest of the population doesn't have the same idea at the same time and d) you're prepared to elbow old ladies aside to grab the last tub of raspberry ripple ( c @spyderjon).
usually am knackered, but I walk after skiing to loosen up tight muscles, so a walk to the supermarket is not a problem, as for elbowing the old ladies, I am the old lady.( well lady is a bit of an exaggeration)
latest report
@Extremophile, Are you comparing like for like in the prices. Lidl or Aldi in the UK verus lidl or Aldi in France?
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@Extremophile, Are you comparing like for like in the prices. Lidl or Aldi in the UK verus lidl or Aldi in France?

Well… yes and no, in the UK my Aldi and other supermarket are right next to each other, where as in France the supermarket is at one end of town and Lidl is as the other end of town so it’s a bit if a mission to go between the two. Plus, not everything i take from the UK is from Aldi, so unless i write an exhaustive list of what i buy from which shop and then spend the day comparing each product to that on the shelf of either shop in France - which isnt going to happen - it’s not possible to know the exact price difference.

I buy and in the UK and take with me the stuff we use most that i know for sure is cheaper in the uk or nicer than in France. Having been making this journey for many years i have a good knowledge of what we eat and what to take. Noodles for stir fry are taken from the UK, there are noodles in france but they are not good noodles and do not stir fry well, so taking noodles does not come down to price. Same with horseradish, french horseradish is awful. French tinned tomato is much more acidic and watery than uk tinned tomato so i take that, and it’s cheaper to boot. You get the idea. Obviously a guess at the exchange rate where applicable.

i know one time i had to take loads of other stuff out for the apartment from the uk, there wasnt much room for food… we spent an absolute fortune in superU, more than i’ve ever spent when we took stuff - we shopped one time and it cost nearly €400, usually we’re less than €200 for 10+ days, so that is the difference it makes.
ski holidays
French and UK Aldi are not the same company anyway.
snow report
Extremophile wrote:
Tinned tomato,

Quote:

we have quite a healthy diet
ski holidays
I had several nougat bars confiscated at Geneva airport that I was bringing home as gifts. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Cuckcoo clock-making bar stewards!
snow conditions
@Extremophile, Yes, I know what you mean. I always spend much more in the SuperU than I plan. A stoll past the fish counter always ends up with more st jaques, oysters and fish than I plan and I haven't seen rabbit on sale in the UK for years, and I just know my wife would love that fruit flan oh! thats a nice bottle of wine. So it goes.

I have to confess if I stuck to my usual UK shop it would be a lot less but then I'm on holiday and such nice food isn't as easily come by in the UK so I indulge myeself and family.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Tinned tomato,

Quote:

we have quite a healthy diet
are you suggesting canned tomatoes are unhealthy? Think again. Just because a product is canned, that doesn't make it unhealthy. Personally, I always buy Italian tinned tomatoes, expensive but very good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy