Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Europe March 2024 3Valles and Zermatt or ValDisere

Poster: A snowHead
It's always about personal preference and value for money perception.
I was reacting to all the post rating Zermatt over the 3V. The views are FANTASTIC, no doubt, and seeing the Matterhorn from different angles is really special. However, the skiing itself is not better than the 3V or Tignes or st Anton, or Verbier or the less acclaimed Les Arcs or Ski Amade. IMV
Accommodation - 250 Euro per night in an apartment for 2 people without meals in the farthest part of town is not cheap (we stayed at the Alpen resort this time, because of the spa - nice enough hotel spa but the outside jacuzzi was cold and the location wasn`t great). Looking more in the center a 3* hotel like Couronne (stayed there the previous time) is 3000 CHF for 2 people with breakfast. No spa though. I think that's more expensive than a 4* hotel in other places. Not a deal breaker, and the strong Swiss Franc is not helping
Also, when thinking of value for money, I admit that my base line is not other Swiss areas but Austria and Italy. I think that restaurants are better and cheaper on the Cervinia side, for example
I'm not trying to put anyone off Zermatt. I especially think that the OP's partner who's less keen on skiing will enjoy the overall experience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think many of us that have skied more diversely in Europe can think of far better bang for the buck than Zermatt for equivalent skiing experience (including Cervinia which if the weather is fine gives you identical skiing). The strength of the CHF is a significant factor particularly for GBP paupers. However for a "special" holiday and with a partner one might be trying to seduce back into skiing I can see how it makes perfect sense.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt may be expensive and the skiing not the best, but the milk float ski busses, the train and of course the views make it special and worth, imho, travelling halfway around the world to visit
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt is definitely worth it. If the link to Cervinia is open the skiing is effectively endless with a vertical of about 2300m down to Valtourneche (more than the top of Mt Kosciusko to sea level, to put it into perspective), plus the scenery and even just some of the spectacular cable car and gondola rides to get to the skiing. I've found all Europe skiing (even Zermatt and Val D) effectively cheaper than Australia so price is relative.

However eating out in Zermatt is a killer, especially for nice-ish restaurants. You can get Rosti maybe for 20-25 CHF but then think upwards. The best value would definitely be a hotel that offers half-board, but if yours doesn't the daily menu at some of the hotels would be better value than a la carte at a restaurant.

On your way back to Geneva how are you getting to Annecy? The shuttle buses pass through on the way to Geneva Airport but generally don't stop, and then getting to Geneva Airport from Annecy would be a pain anyway by public transport. From Moutiers (access station to St Martin) by train to Annecy is not direct either. Reason I ask is I've often thought about it but then found going straight to Geneva a million times less hassle.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best restaurants in the Alps in Zermatt - I mean you haven’t lived until you sample the McRaclette Bacon
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've appreciated all the valuable advice and insights you've shared so far. One topic I'm currently debating is whether to rent skis or bring my own. Emirates allows free checked sports equipment, including skis, but the hassle of lugging them around the airport or train station is a concern. I'm inclined to bring my own skis for a two-week trip to Zermatt and 3V to save on rental costs (around 800 EURO for the two of us).

My current skis are the Volkl Mantra 2012, which I acquired almost for free during an end-of-season sale in Sydney eight years ago. They've been fantastic, but I haven't used any other skis since. Considering an upgrade, does anyone have suggestions on whether it's worth it or necessary?

I'm even contemplating buying an upgrade online in Europe (excluding Switzerland) and having them delivered to the hotel, then bringing them back to Australia with me.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Malbec85, in terms of hassle, there will be a bit but nothing you couldn't handle. Airports and train stations have luggage carts and trains/busses storage. That is as long as the skis are worth it, still good.

Issues more likely to be with the bindings than the skis itself. Do the skis need servicing? How many weeks have skied on them? At 11 years old they are getting on a bit though probably still good to ski if looked after and not doing many weeks a season on them.

Upgrade? Depends on your standard ergo how much you will be appreciate/gain from knowing them, finances (obv). Trying out and buying new skis while you are out skiing does give you the chance to try before you buy, which is highly beneficial. However, it also means a bit of hassle going to ski shop, checking prices, etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha! There’s always a good excuse to buy new skis..any SH will find a myriad of reasons, all of which will meet the “necessary” test Very Happy . If you think about it, there’s no more hassle bringing your own from half way round the world than from London Gatwick, though I suppose there’s more risk of kit going astray if you have to change planes. Buying skis in a ski resort is possibly THE most expensive way to do it. There are big warehouse stores down the mountain which may have decent offers..Ekosport (France)springs to mind, but then you have the faff, though you can buy online.
Maybe bring the old ones and contemplate replacing them if something new takes your fancy?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sounds a good trip make sure you come back again to sample Austria and Italy. 2 total different flavours to the choices you've made
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Malbec85, re. skis: I think the 2012 Mantra is the 98mm more or less full camber version isn't it? It's a long time since I've skied Zermatt but I ski a lot in the 3Vs and my personal preference is for something narrower. There's a lot of distance involved in hooning around the 3Vs with a fair few long flat sections between areas and I just find it much more relaxing to stand on a narrower ski (I ski everywhere on Kastle MX83s). Coming from Oz, I guarantee you will not believe the scale of the place and you've said you just want to cruise reds and blues so you need something appropriate for that. As an indicator, I once guided an Aussie group around for a few hours and they were done by lunchtime - they told me we'd just skied more in a morning than they would ski in a week in Oz wink

You're also going to get the full range of conditions in mid-March but with a bias towards soft spring conditions, particularly in the lower Belleville valley in the afternoon - Les Menuires and St Martin where you're staying are both South West facing. Overnight freezing level is the key criteria to how soft it is in the mornings but it will always be soft in the afternoons. So one of your main considerations should probably be how you ski slush. Are you happy hammering over the top on a wide ski or do you prefer to carve through it on something narrower? If your other half is a lot less experienced then you may have no choice but to slowly pick your way through it so is a 98mm Mantra the best tool for that? Probably not.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
I ski everywhere on Kastle MX83s

That is a fantastic piste ski and you can rent them at Bayard sports in Zermatt but they won’t come cheap! Might be worth buying if you’re going to keep them for several years as renting decent skis in both Zermatt and 3V’s will be very expensive.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt is a pretty special resort in my view. Skiing is high, challenging and you can incredible amounts of KM’s and vertical compared to other resorts. The food offering on the slopes is the best in Europe in my view.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
800 euros for 2 weeks for the both of you sounds about right. There are online stores where you could buy skis for just a little more - the a fore mentioned ekosport or sport conrad but then you run into the question of what ski to buy? What type of skiing do you enjoy? The quice is really extensive
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/on-piste-skis-with-binding/?makairaFilter%5Bgender%5D%5B0%5D=Men&count=72&offset=0
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/freeride-freetouring-ski/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Best restaurants in the Alps in Zermatt - I mean you haven’t lived until you sample the McRaclette Bacon

This! Why would anyone choose the inconvenience of heading to Chez Vrony, Zum See or any other restaurant in Findeln when you have McDonalds right in the centre of town.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowheads I need your help with one last detail.. we just spent a few hours looking at flights from Sydney to either Geneva or Zurich.. based on one comment in this thread saying that Geneva is dull at best (which made us laugh), we were considering flying into Zurich, and, first question: if we decide to fly into Zurich, should we spend one or two nights there? (the night that we arrive and then train to Zermatt or maybe give it another night just to get over the jet lag and flight exhaustion + getting to walk the city a little bit - conscious that we would be in winter and walking around not that pleasant -). Then we would definitely fly out from Geneva as we are coming back from the 3V's. Flight prices don't change if doing multi-city so that wouldn't be a factor.
Options would be:
A) Syd <> Zurich 1 night stay and then train to Zermatt
B) Syd <> Zurich 2 night stay and then train to Zermatt
C) Syd <> Geneva 1 night stay and then train to Zermatt
* as we are considering buying skis, maybe Zurich or Geneva are good spots to get good deals?
Any other creative suggestions are welcome (E.g. flying into Milan)
Thanks again!
snow report
Depends on when your flight lands. Get into Zurich in the afternoon, spend night then the next day at 2 or 3 pm get on train to Zermatt? That's not much time. Certainly not for shopping for skis (I'd still buy online and have skis delivered to hotel).
Also, buy train tickets and skipasses 2 months ahead. When buying train tickets make shure you don't buy the "half fare" option. You need a "half fare card", bought separately, in order for the tickets to be valid
snow conditions
Zurich is great for drivethru brothels and rosti potatoes, but not much else.

Head straight for Zermatt as fast as poss.

Zurich to Zermatt by train is long and (effectively) 1 whole day of travel.

Swiss trains are among the slowest in the developed world.

Milan is better, closer, prettier.

Turin is another option, if you want to see the Turin Shroud (replica), or The Italian Job.
snow report
I am a bit late to this thread but one thing I'd say: if you can, in the 3V, get a guide or find someone with local knowledge to show you around (referring to @perty's message above Smile ).
Yes the pistes are well marked and you can easily find your way around, but the 3V is so big, so diverse (all kinds of expositions and terrains, high altitude, trees etc) - it's like nothing else in my opinion - you really benefit from local knowledge. My 2c.
snow report
Re getting someone to show you around.
Les Menuires 2006-yours truly working as a chalet "ski host" i.e. showing the guests around the 3V, booking lunch and making sure they don't miss the last lifts back to our valley (all legal at the time, not any more). Very fetching photo in my unisex Silverski jacket and "the pink bobble hat"

Very Happy Silverski were never big spenders when it came to staff uniforms...
The offer remains to show you around one day...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy