Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tunnel pointless rebrand

Poster: A snowHead
@harrim51, you just go online and change your booking to the day you want to travel. Only an issue if you move to a busy day that has a surcharged attached. Helps us back in cattle class that get bumped off trains due to FP travellers turning up unannounced
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But Flexiplus is refundable - does that mean you could phone and cancel it when you realised you weren't going to make it on the day, and book for the following day, at a random time?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
harrim51 wrote:
Just got an email from Peak Retreats about changes To flexiplus
Eurotunnel has changed its FlexiPlus offering for the upcoming season. Rather than being flexible across different days, you now need to travel on the day you've booked to travel.

That’s a bit rubbish if you pay the extra, pretty inflexible if you ask me.

From the Le Shuttle FAQ's:

Can I travel on a different day with LeShuttle Flexiplus?
Yes, a LeShuttle Flexiplus ticket can be amended for up to one year of its validity period. So you can change the date of your day of travel if your plans change. An additional charge may apply if you change your booking to a peak day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BergenBergen, @Layne, thanks.
We are fine with the dates booked with Peak Retreats, it is just a bit of a change from rock up and go. The limit seems to be that PR obviously get a discount and any changes have to go through them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Im old school, but I prefer the ferry to the shuttle.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Doesn't look like their T&Cs have changed since October and then even then it was just cutting down to 1 year not 18 months for the refund /adjustment
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@harrim51, I wonder if that is just the Peak Retreats version of flexiplus? My speculation (totally uninformed) is that Peak Retreats get a good deal on flexiplus, because people are much less likely to "flex" if they have accommodation and a holiday wrapped around the tunnel booking.

I can't find any mention on the Eurotunnel website about any changes, but maybe I should buy a bunch of flexiplus tickets now, in case they change the terms!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would be surprised if the FP purchased by PR had different T&C's.

The thing is though as are you booking accommodation with them you wouldn't divert from the dates without contacting them anyway.

PR would I suspect just be managing the booking on your behalf.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@harrim51, I wonder if that is just the Peak Retreats version of Flexiplus?

I booked a standard ticket through a third party agent over the summer. It definitely had different T&Cs, as I was unable to amend anything with Eurotunnel, not even to add API, and had to go through the third party who charged a £20 fee for any changes (API was free). We changed our car, so that was a £20 charge to change the registrarion, and a time change with no extra charge being made by ET would have had a fee added by the agent. This would all have been free of charge on ET website. It may be that ET sell tickets to agents with different conditions to the direct bookings, or it may be that the third party is imposing these restrictions themselves. So although mine wasn't Flexiplus, it was definitely not the same as a directly booked train. If you can't log in yourself to change your booking on the Le Shuttle website I'd be wary.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds a bit cheeky to charge for free amendments!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kettonskimum, I was a bit gobsmacked to be honest as the actual fare didn't change at all, but we were charged £20 by the agent (Caravan and Motorhome Club). The original fare was discounted, but not by that much.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More a case of "Rebranded Tunnel: pointless"

I always searched "Le Shuttle" anyway as it always produced the right result.
For years, I only ever used the Chunnel - couldn't really see the point of ferries so never even checked them out.
Then EuroTunnel got a new boss and he ditched the frequent Traveller scheme and declared a new focus on 'added value' services like offering discounts on things I don't want, in places I don't go to [yawn]
So I started comparing before booking... and haven't used the Chunnel since.

Recently I've found ferry crossings have been between 1/3 and 1/2 of the price of Chunnel fares.
Outbound to PSB: (booked ahead)
Ferry @ £46.50
Chunnel @ £130

Return from PSB: (booked 3hrs b4 departure)
Ferry @ £125 (flexi Monday: used Sunday)
Chunnel @ £320
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kettonskimum wrote:
Sounds a bit cheeky to charge for free amendments!

Seems a good reason not to use third parties.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@admin, I found the FT thing a pain anyway, the way it worked.

The ferry is definitely a winner on cost but often we are on a tight schedule and happy to pay a premium for speed. Especially as the services are a tad more frequent.

You pays your money in essence. We generally use tunnel but occasionally feel the cost is excessive or less time driven so will go ferry.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I gues they are promoting something that is quick & easy, a shuttle.
Rather than something that is big & grand "The" Tunnel, not just any tunnel, but THE tunnel
snow conditions
Not sure it is any different to what @Layne said above in May. If there is a FlexiPlus surcharge for changing to a peak date, doesn't that imply you can charge to a non-peak date for little or no charge?
snow report
I did a short notice trip to Hanover in September, I was very keen to not use P&O after their firing/hiring practices, however the tunnel was nearly three times the price.

It would appear that my hypocrisy does have a price.

Easyjet Liverpool to Geneva in January was only £49 return when we booked in October.
ski holidays
I just checked ferry tickets for March, and they are nowhere near as cheap as prices quoted above.
latest report
I thought I would just try and compare prices to half term on the tunnel....... P&O site is crashing under demand
ski holidays
@Rob_Quads, that is because there is no warning strike which has stopped all tunnel services and people are frantically trying to book ferries.
ski holidays
DFDS/Irish Ferries provide an alternative to P&O and their dodgy practices. FerrySavers is a good place to compare prices.

https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-ferries/
https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/routes-and-times/dover-calais/
https://www.ferrysavers.com/
snow report
Has anybody been to the Flexiplus lounge in a large vehicle recently? Earlier on Snowheads it was mentioned that only cars could access it, but the website now says it's available to all. My grand-daughters, who plan to eat enough of the "free food" to justify the extra cost, will be very cross if the Peugeot Expert can't get there!
snow conditions
@pam w, not been but yes they have moved it so it accessible for both cars and overheight vehicles

They’ve finally realised that people who can afford FP are in Range Rovers wink
ski holidays
@pam w, yes we went to flexiplus last Friday with a roofbox and we’re able to access the lounge. You just have to look out for the signs for overheight vehicles going in and out of the area where the lounge is situated.

@dw832, DFDS and Brittany Ferries are the companies who look after their employees properly.

Irish ferries were the ones who started to employ workers on lower pay and P&o copied them.they and P&o have their ferries registered in Cyprus now.
latest report
@snowymum, @Boris, thanks. That's a relief. We're not going FP for the "free food" but it's got the kids very excited. They are two skinny girls, 13 and 11, who eat ALL the time! The younger one is very nervous about travelling, hates unpredictability and unfamiliarity, and is seriously emetophobic (?spelling) - so no chance of the ferry for us! This trip was fixed up very late in the day, and we have big Christmas lunch here tomorrow with eldest son and family, so we'll be quite late leaving here, and have hotel booked in St Quentin. So hoping to avoid any waiting around at Folkestone. Though the girls have said they would get a slightly later train rather than risk losing out on the "free food". rolling eyes I've warned them it might not be very exciting....
snow conditions
Ha - just read the other thread. Strike at Eurotunnel.......
ski holidays
@pam w, there will be food that will appeal to the kids like gingerbread Christmas trees. There is also a hot drinks machine which includes hot chocolate as an option.
latest report
@dw832, DFDS and Brittany Ferries are the companies who look after their employees properly.

Irish ferries were the ones who started to employ workers on lower pay and P&o copied them.they and P&o have their ferries registered in Cyprus now.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware that Irish Ferries were equally as dodgy as P&O.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dw832, Might be worth looking at the history of the DFDS Ferries, they are their forerunners are far from guiltless and their on board service is diabolical.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy