Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's summer tyres day plus other end of season stuff

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
@ski3, also many people, that have no need of 4x4 in daily use, are simply driving around unaware that their Haldex has failed and that they're just driving with FWD.

Most people that drive out to the Alps for their holidays tend to, once in a resort, not use their vehicle, so it's only on departure/transfer day, that should conditions arise, the car gets used in "anger" to quote @valais2, or if you're somewhere like here where the valley stretches for 10km and accommodation is all over the villages which then requires transport (navettes/buses are used), that's if you're not within walking distance of a lift.

This, my friends failed (controller died) and another friend pulled out of an S3 sale due to a failed haldex.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was going to buy an Octavia 4wd estate with about 60k on the clock but decided against it after reading too many reviews of VW Haldex failures. As it's turned out with my Goodyear Vectors I've never encountered anything my fwd couldn't handle.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Suzuki has a gear lever, that I pull back once to select 4wd, or further back for 4wd low. Then the transmission makes a clunk, and it doesn't go round corners too well until I put it back in 2wd because there's no centre diff. In 2wd I can drift the back out on a wet roundabout Very Happy

Old school and nice and simple Very Happy

I've also got an air locker on the rear diff. They are heaps of fun when things get sketchy, but need to drive sensibly with it turned on because flipping the vehicle over is a possibility.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our family transport is an Audi with real centre differential and Torsen mechanical locking design, there's no controls, simple oil and complete reliability, works perfectly with no decision making needed.
As it drives all wheels fully, the tyres usual get too old rather than wear that mutch, excellent system.

Believe Subaru are broadly similar in design and performance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a newish Subaru forester as well. The AWD system is pretty good in snow, but the plastic bits of bodywork tend to fall off, especially driving it through a bit of water, and it struggles a bit with clearance in deep snow.

The last one I had, I got 250,000km out of it in 5 years from new with zero mechanical issues, and a lot of hard use. It got killed by a bus crashing into it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hang11, So rule #1 don't buy a car off hang11 Very Happy I'm now driving a swb Pajero/Shogun nice 4wd system with 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel with centre diff (basically all wheel drive) 4 wheel with centre diff locked and 4 wheel low with diff locked. Actually all the options great on the highway and goes pretty anywhere I am brave enough to try.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Subaru Outback with winter tyres...never been stuck and I've had to rescue a Volvo XC 90 and LR Discovery's passengers when the local snow was bad.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarge McSarge wrote:
Pajero/Shogun

I used to have one of those about 20 years ago. Paid $30k for it, great truck, blew 2 engines in 4 years. Ended up getting $2k scrap for it. Couldn't bring myself to pay for another motor.

Mitsi 4M40 diesel. They are a time bomb, with a short fuse Very Happy

I'm actually on my second Jimny as well. The last one got T boned by a guy in a stolen car doing a runner from the cops, and my daughter rolled over a red light sending a text. Couldn't make it up. Thankfully nobody hurt, but the Jimny was destroyed. I obviously pay a fair bit for car insurance these days Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy