Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Im assuming that was because you didn`t have winter tyres on your vehicle? Absolutely no reason with WT why any road conditions should prevent getting up to either. The fact I/we all drive in Austria on snow packed roads with no issues at all. Ill give you the fact that they may not actually have the same capability of clearing the snow drifts from the actual roads themselves, but in that case if its drifting a lot, then it will be even worse on the mountain itself. Originally from Aberdeenshire, I remember all the roads round us (talking sixties here) were closed/blocked off for days at a time, and schools were shut. But that was just down to the snow clearing the main roads being the priority, and all the small ones being left to the farmers etc to clear a way for themselves.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jafa, Most people in Scotland do not put winter tyres on, which is nuts in my opinion. I think it mostly come from the false perception that they are "snow" tryes and because we don't get a lot of snow every year it is not worth it. It does not cost any more in the long term and the performance is so much better in the cold/wet conditions we get every year.

With winter tyres on I have never had a "hairy" journey to any of the Scottish ski centres. The only problems are when the snow gates are closed while they clear the drifts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know its mad. Below 7 degrees is the point where they work better. Though having just driven to Austria and back last week with them on, it doesn`t half make a difference in the fuel consumption.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another point to consider is that most of the uplifts in Scotland are surface lifts i.e. pomas or t-bars
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So winter tyres discussion - tick.

Now to helmets?

Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
does anyone know if it's possible to hire a car @ Inverness airport with winter tyres (10 day period in January/February 2022)?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nahdendee wrote:
does anyone know if it's possible to hire a car @ Inverness airport with winter tyres (10 day period in January/February 2022)?

I think I could say without much fear of contradiction that there will be no hire cars fitted with winter/snow tires from any car rental company. We simply do not get enough regular snowfall to make the fitting of such tyres a thing. Your best bet would be to rent a 4x4, but the chances are it would be fitted with the standard tyres that come on the car as bought.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nahdendee, It's not something I've ever had to look into. But I'd agree with @Roguevfr. I think the real life use of winter tyres up here can get over represented on these pages. I live north of Aviemore and the amount of people that I know that use them is vanishingly small. Those that do tend to have good reason. One friend that uses them lives in Grantown and works in Elgin, so has a daily commute over the Dava. Another lives on the stretch of road inside the snow gates on the Cockbridge-Tomintoul road, if you live there you get given your own key for the gates so that you can get out when they are closed.
Pretty much everyone just uses the same tyres all year round. The gritters are plentiful and well versed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dode, All those town names , your making me feel a little nostalgic. I was on exercise on the Dava Moor on my 21st birthday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jafa, I hope you were born in August rather than January wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dode, I don't know. The midgies on the Dava can be bad in August. Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GlasgowCyclops, True Laughing Laughing revise that to March (or maybe October)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dode, Haha February!!!!!!!!. But it wasnt bad training as within 6 weeks, we were sailing down south.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
Hmm thinking about it might be worth hiring a car with centre fold down seat

A pair of these may be worth considering:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ski-Rack-Magnetic-2-Pairs-Skiing-Menabo-Igloo-/324837110055?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIuJvF27PF9AIVgp7tCh3bUQqjEAQYBSABEgK2p_D_BwE

Cheaper than car hire? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ,

I didn't notice if you have been told this but the school holidays in Scotland are generally at different times to those in England. So spring next year, half term or Easter, with planning you might find it not so busy. But as has been said, you should remain flexible as the snow and weather are never guaranteed.

Regarding winter tyres. I live about an hour north of Aviemore and have never needed. I understand that they would help but for the main the roads are OK and the hassle of taking winter tyres for most is just not worth the reward.

I think you mentioned helmets? I would say 100% yes. It's rocky, and icy. But also very cold so think about keeping heads warm.

I think if you plan well but be flexible you should be able to make something work. You could consider going to Glasgow for a mini-break as you can use the Snow Factor indoor snow slope there as a last resort. There is a Travelodge right next door, and loads of other stuff to do there. Glencoe and Glenshee are pretty easy to get to if the weather comes good, and even Cairngorm or Nevis if you are up for a longer day with a drive. If things don't work out there are other things to do in Glasgow.

Finally, a good website for you:

http://www.winterhighland.info/

Happy to answer any other questions.
snow report
@Boofont, thanks for that. Sorry I was joking wrt helmets. It is just alongside winter tyres it appears to be commonly debated on snowheads threads
latest report
Boofont wrote:
@NickyJ,
I think you mentioned helmets? I would say 100% yes. It's rocky, and icy. But also very cold so think about keeping heads warm..

Without getting into a full blown debate helmet wearing is not anything like as common as in alpine resorts.

Kids aside, there are quite a lot of older people who regularly ski Shee and Coe and are barely into carving skis, never mind new fangled things like helmets................
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
Boofont wrote:
@NickyJ,
I think you mentioned helmets? I would say 100% yes. It's rocky, and icy. But also very cold so think about keeping heads warm..

Without getting into a full blown debate helmet wearing is not anything like as common as in alpine resorts.

Kids aside, there are quite a lot of older people who regularly ski Shee and Coe and are barely into carving skis, never mind new fangled things like helmets................

Laughing I only started wearing a helmet when my eldest (who is now 15) started skiing at age 4. It was just a lot easier to enforce the you must wear a helmet (mandatory rules from ski school) when we demonstrated the same ourselves. Now feels completely natural
ski holidays
FWiw Cairngorm looking very good for early dec!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Britishbackcountry/permalink/5343474869005445/
ski holidays
I don’t know if you are still thinking about this @nickyj but conditions seem pretty good for dec from what I’m seeing !

This on Facebook from glenshee, caveat conditions can and often do change overnight!

We are opening Friday 10th to Sunday 12th December for skiing and snowboarding on Sunnyside pomas and beginner's Dink Dink and Rope Tow
Opening 08.30 to 16.00
Tickets Only (sold at the Ticket Office)
No equipment hire is available for these days
Tea@the Shee cafe will be open
Scottish guidelines apply

Photo from last season! Bundu Media
ski holidays
@kitenski, looking at today’s outlook from MWIS for next week, I’d expect conditions to change!
snow report
Looking at driving to Scotland from north of England in new year with daughter for a few days. need a bit of help, looking at Glencoe or Cairngorms. Can anyone give advice to which is the preferred area.

cheers
snow report
@Inboard, Sad
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
Bigtipper wrote:
If the conditions are great for skiing in Scotland, there is a higher probability of poor road conditions.

We used to live in Pitlochry and then Blair Atholl. Could easily do a day in Glenshee or Cairngorm.
The mantra was always "If the roads are open then the skiing is crap; if the the skiing is good then the roads will be shut".
It was never quite that bad. But certainly could be a hairy drive when ski conditions were good.

Clear exception to this is Nevis Range because the parking is low elevation at about 100m asl and the gondola is quite long going up to 650m asl. All the other ski areas involve a drive on exposed roads to high carparks - Lecht 640m, Glenshee 640m, Cairngorm 630m, Glencoe 350m.

You can get great snow at Nevis without any lying at the parking.
latest report
@jasonw11011, If you and your daughter are good skiers either place will be alright but if you are needing accommodation Cairngorm would be better and staying in Aviemore. If the weather isnt good there is probably more for you to do in Aviemore.
ski holidays
@jasonw11011, Welcome to SnowHeads --
Personally, if travelling with children I would choose Cairngorm (mainly because there is more going on in Aviemore)
ski holidays
@larry1950, Snap !!
ski holidays
Glenshee opening tomorrow and over the weekend with a few lifts (Sunnyside tows + dink dink I think)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So.... : One small bonus of covid and brexit is renewed interest in Scottish skiing.
There is lots of well intentioned advice on this thread.

However (and I cant repeat this enough) : don't plan in advance.
There is no bigger advocate of Scottish skiing than myself : but, the key is flexibility and ability to read weather forecast.

Go when there is snow on ground - rather than because you happen to have a few days off at xmas / new year and euro-travel is complicated right now.
The reason Scottish skiing often get bad rep is because UK skiers wrongly compare it to a package holiday in alps.
In reality target audience for Scottish skiing is the 5-10 million northern UK skiers within day triable weekend distance.
Scotland gets some good skiing every winter - however it can happen any time between Jan and April.

If you really need to book in advance then wait until spring. Almost always better snow and weather!
When I read about people "driving 12 hours to ski at Glenshee over xmas" I have head in my hands.
They might get lucky, which would be great. More likely at that time of year it will be dark, cold and lacking in uplift.
We ski on drifted snow in Scotland. It takes many months for the strong winds to fill the gullies so they become resistant to the inevitable thaws.

Thankfully internet never made it easier to check conditions and go when there is snow.

www.winterhighland.com
https://www.mwis.org.uk/
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/active/skiing-snowsports/

Get used to weather watching and you might get lucky and score some snow like this.

Time it wrong and only available run will look like this (also last winter).

snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, said
Quote:
Go when there is snow on ground - rather than because you happen to have a few days off ....
...Scotland gets some good skiing every winter - however it can happen any time between Jan and April

Totally agree: you can't beat a cheeky trip up to Scotland (I'm in Brizzle) when conditions are good.

This was late April 2015 in the Nevis back corries, when a lot of European resorts were already closed

.... and these in April a few years earlier snowHead

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 10-12-21 7:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, that is the curse of having kids in school (and how far we live) from Scotland. We have zero flexibility.

Our interest in Scotland has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. Always liked the idea of visiting at some point. Renewed interest is purely covid restrictions and difficulty of travel from those.
snow report
jasonw11011 wrote:
Looking at driving to Scotland from north of England in new year with daughter for a few days. need a bit of help, looking at Glencoe or Cairngorms. Can anyone give advice to which is the preferred area.

cheers

Why limit to just the 2, if you're coming that far a little longer to nevis range or glenshee shoudn't be discounted, cairngorm without the funicular is all tows, at least nevis has 3 chairlifts (for a rest between runs if you need it). If you base at fort william you can do both glencoe and nevis range for a little variety, very different experiences but both fine if the snow is there and wind isn't. Glenshee is arguably as good as cairngorm too if you stay east.

Try your utmost to avoid weekends at all ski areas, weekdays are king.
ski holidays
Scotland has recently gone from total snowcover to disappearing fast/almost gone in the space of two or three days Confused Very frustrating but par for the course unfortunately.

Looking very much like a non-starter for snowsports between Christmas and New Year... rolling eyes
latest report
Pre-Christmas certainly. But the charts are hinting at something colder by around the 23rd.... so there's hope
snow conditions
@paulo, fingers crossed. Travelling to the Trossachs on 22nd, and looking at France, I think we’ll be packing all of our boot, clothes and skis in case it’s the only chance we get this year.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Scotland has recently gone from total snowcover to disappearing fast/almost gone in the space of two or three days Confused Very frustrating but par for the course unfortunately.

Looking very much like a non-starter for snowsports between Christmas and New Year... rolling eyes

Aye, was just looking at the webcams for a possible xmas to new years jaunt and the snow is mostly gone, hey ho, with France deffinetly now closed we may just go scotland anyway just to get away for a few days and take ski cloths for just incase.
ski holidays
I can cope with the despair, it's the hope I can't stand!
snow report
@Timmycb5,

Where you staying in the Trossachs? No snow just now but decent touring nearby when there is!
ski holidays
Graeme Pringle (akaWindyMiller, who used to regularly post Cairngorm reports on Winter Highland but now posts on FB) had posted a report on the first C.G opening day

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4609141872456300&id=100000815970427
ski holidays
Boofont wrote:
@NickyJ,

I think you mentioned helmets? I would say 100% yes. It's rocky, and icy. But also very cold so think about keeping heads warm.

I'm afraid you have missed out the vital words, "can be..." ie it can be rocky and icy.

We've skied Scotland a lot over the past few years (mainly Cairngorm and Glencoe) and have had consistently good snow, with no rocks or ice. Last year we ski toured 7 days at Glencoe and Nevis in May, with not a rock or icy patch in sight! In fact we were getting powder turns. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy