Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb Half term is sooooooo expensive am I stupid to consider begin April instead?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Woah! 8 grand is very steep. April should be absolutely fine - I wouldn't hesitate to go for it if it knocks off 3 grand!!

Have you tried www.chalet-hire.com or vrbo.com? They have loads of apartments / chalet style apartments which work out a lot cheaper if you don't mind arranging flights and transfers yourself. We tend to go self catering but theres quite a few catering deals too.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm surprised at reports of crowded slopes in April - that must be the "british tour operator" factor at work. French people seem to mostly give up on skiing after the end of the winter school holidays in mid March. so if you want quiet slopes, go somewhere the tour operators don't go.

I'm a big fan of self-catering but of course for people with small kids who want their kids looked after, that's not such a great idea.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, I've certainly seen some crowded slopes in April though nowhere near NY levels (Les Arcs, La Plagne, La Rosiere and less so in Avoriaz). I suppose it depends on snow lower down. Lots and lots of Belgians about, even if the French don't traditionally ski then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was crowded when I went to les arcs, above, because the upper lifts and runs were closed due to risk of avalanches, and the lower slopes were closed as the snow was melted.so we were all on the middle bit....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w,
Quote:

I'm surprised at reports of crowded slopes in April - that must be the "british tour operator" factor at work. French people seem to mostly give up on skiing after the end of the winter school holidays in mid March. so if you want quiet slopes, go somewhere the tour operators don't go

I am not so sure that it is a British Tour operator factor so much as a belief that only very high resorts can possibly give good skiing in April so everyone goes there.
Places like the high Tarentaise resorts do get very crowded but they are certainly not all Brits. When my kids were young we usually found moderate altitude resorts with North facing slopes very inexpensive and uncrowded but retaining good snow. Must admit though for the last few years we have gravitated to Nendaz for our Easter trip which has some high skiing, this is as much because of some particularly suitable accommodation for studying as anything else as the kids have been having exams soon after.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of French skiers in April in Serre Chevalier too, although not crowded.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You would be fine at a high French resort at Easter. We skied at Easter for several years when the kids were small (combination of cost and warmth!). As a family of beginners I'd recommend La Plagne and Tignes - plenty of blue motorways at altitude!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Happy to give some pointers and back what has been said above. We've got 5 going and brining it all in at 620£ a head for half term week in Tignes. Pm if you want and I'll send the details.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you thought about going in term time? That's what I did last year and am doing again this year.

I was sat in the travel agents last year looking at half term prices and asked the woman to look at the week either side, turned out to be about £1500 cheaper. Checked out council's website and it turned out the fine was about £100. We never had to pay the fine, the teacher just put it down as unauthorised absence.

Then again, my kids are only 6, 4 and 1, the 6year old will hardly miss much in a week.

And on the plus side, they're learning something anyway! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
info@parksidepad.co.uk, take a look at Ski Amade in Austria, 45 mins from Salzburg airport and free ski passes for kids from mid March till season end - now thats a huge saving. Ange
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Under the new inspection regime all absences are unauthorised. There are lots of codes schools have to use but other than"educated off site" everything else is counted as the same be it on a holiday or having major surgery. Ofsted view them all the same and that is what schools are worried about. A good school can be downgraded for absences. Hence the fines. I'm an executive head and my year 9 in one small school shows horrendous absence rates because twin boys were injured in a car accident and have been off since march last year. Makes our figures look dreadful. We however, are just glad they are going to be ok eventually (although the ok is on a bit of a scale. As to what is ok). The irony is if they were on a ski trip with school they'd be marked as educated off site. So long as they are not "persistently absent " I wouldn't worry about taking kids out of school, just make sure you support the school when it comes to those Ofsted questionnaires!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jellybabe,

Point noted. I didn't think of it from that angle. It's just tough having kids and trying to afford holidays that they'll look back and remember fondly. Skiing is so expensive on its own, let alone in the school holidays.

Will definitely do my bit with regard to the questionaires! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy