Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
stab, I'm always amazed that they don't do more to encourage tourism in the area in the summer
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I seriously think they don't care, they have the race in winter and that seems to be all they are interested in. First and Murren have their act together.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stab, have ago at one of the following excursions that they have planned for the month Laughing - (all looks great fun!!)

14.06.07 Guided hike
A local guide will hike with you along the hiking trails in the Jungfrau region. The hike is for the whole day.

14.06.07 Animal-Observation
Ascent with the cable car to the Männlichen. We ascend slowly upwards and peer for animals. There is a telescope and binoculars available in the cabin, so that the expected chamois, birds and marmots can be observed. When we arrive at the top, we hike to the peak of the Männlichen and continue to look out for some more animals and for flowers.

15.06.07 Nordic Walking
Enjoy the nature around Wengen and do something for your health! This is possible if you attend this Nordic Walking course with us.

18.06.07 Guided village walk
Experience our beautiful village on the occasion of a guided walk. From our local guide you will learn a lot about our nice mountain village.

18.06.07 Medicinal herb walk
Miss Karen Jones, competent person for Medicinal herbs, will guide you around Wengen. Discover: - how to use herbs medicinally for those simple illnesses you treat yourself at home - which flowers you can add to your cooking - first aid uses from the hedgerows ...and meet a plant that will reduce the amount of sugar needed in cakes and tarts (suitable for diabetics).

19.06.07 Adventure-hiking
Ascent with the Männlichen cable car. Hike to the peak of the Männlichen and then we will follow the romantic-trail to Gummi-Brandswald over the Feldmoos to Holenstein. Our guide, Mrs Doris Schmied, will give you many astonishing Information about the fascinating nature.

21.06.07 Folklore evening
An evening with a lot of Swiss tradition. Experience bell ringers, alphorn blowers, yodeller-groups, folklorique dancers, men choir and old tradition handwork lace-making.

21.06.07 Guided hike
A local guide will hike with you along the hiking trails in the Jungfrau region. The hike is for the whole day.

21.06.07 Animal-Observation
Ascent with the cable car to the Männlichen. We ascend slowly upwards and peer for animals. There is a telescope and binoculars available in the cabin, so that the expected chamois, birds and marmots can be observed. When we arrive at the top, we hike to the peak of the Männlichen and continue to look out for some more animals and for flowers.

22.06.07 Nordic Walking
Enjoy the nature around Wengen and do something for your health! This is possible if you attend this Nordic Walking course with us.

24.06.07 Kinderfest
Childern party at the childerns playground near the Hotel Bären

25.06.07 Guided village walk
Experience our beautiful village on the occasion of a guided walk. From our local guide you will learn a lot about our nice mountain village.

25.06.07 Medicinal herb walk
Miss Karen Jones, competent person for Medicinal herbs, will guide you around Wengen. Discover: - how to use herbs medicinally for those simple illnesses you treat yourself at home - which flowers you can add to your cooking - first aid uses from the hedgerows ...and meet a plant that will reduce the amount of sugar needed in cakes and tarts (suitable for diabetics).

26.06.07 Classical Concert with pipe and piano
Classical concert with the group "Cabrioles".

26.06.07 Adventure-hiking
Ascent with the Männlichen cable car. Hike to the peak of the Männlichen and then we will follow the romantic-trail to Gummi-Brandswald over the Feldmoos to Holenstein. Our guide, Mrs Doris Schmied, will give you many astonishing Information about the fascinating nature.

27.06.07 Visit of a dairy on the Alps
In one of our local alp-dairies, the farmer will show you how cheese is made. Enjoy a real farmers breakfast.

28.06.07 Animal-Observation

28.06.07 Guided hike

29.06.07 Nordic Walking

30.06.07 Hiking night
Hiking night Summernightdream Hike Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen. Dinner at Männlichen Restaurant. Hike to the Männlichen peak. The bright Moonlight and the mountain will give us a unforgettable night.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Brookes wrote:
stab, have ago at one of the following excursions that they have planned for the month Laughing - (all looks great fun!!)

I can barely contain my excitement at all that lot Shocked

I think this summer is the one that might finally make them sit up and take notice of the falling numbers of visitors, wengen is dying ladies and gentlemen, last one out please turn off the lights.

And to the old lady covered in train track oil and cuts and bruises from scheidegg today, play on the train tracks in the UK would you? I don't think so. rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, Does the Club Med still run in the Summer. I think i did when I was last in Wengen during the summer about 4 years ago.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Falling numbers? If they sorted out the climate, and let me have my summer holiday in June..... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riverman, no it doesn't thank god Smile it was rented to different peeps for a while, the jews had it for a while then intersoc had it for 2 years or something. Neither of which brings anything to the village though.
A lot of hotels are underbooked at the moment.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B wrote:
Falling numbers? If they sorted out the climate, and let me have my summer holiday in June..... wink

if it's any consolation it's rained since you left.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think part of Wengens problem is that for many years its aimed itself firmly towards Summer walkers and has done nothing to encourage anyone else, you would think that as with the New Forest in the Uk they would encourage other activities, the potential for mountain biking imediately springs to mind, but instead they make it difficult to even bring bikes up on the train, I have to say that since the tourism office combined with Lauterbrunnen and Murren the efforts made by them seem to have decreased, the old office was far from perfect and I understand there were financial issues, but at least it tried to push Wengen
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Real (wo)men don't need the train to bring the bike up Twisted Evil

If you find it dificult to cross the drains in the path up from Lauterbrunnen, nobody stops you from going through Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg Wink

[don't take post this too seriously guys&galls]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I firmly believe a skatepark is the solution to everything Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab, Any news from yourself or Wengen ??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
it rained , a lot. Scheidegg was under water so for the 2nd time this summer I had to walk home due to no trains running. I have some uncurable ear problem so at the moment am taking vast quantities of prescription medication, I also haven't had a day off since may 27th so am knackered.

Read yesterday they are spending 3 million sfr on the village between 2008 and 10, and spending either 45000 or 450'000 on the figeller area, I forget which.
Honegg has a lot of work going on at the moment as does lauberhorn/fallboden.

Still no skatepark though Sad but only 5 weeks till Zermatt Cool Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 26-06-07 19:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
some pictures of 6 days ago on slimy friedegg

sommer in der schweiz Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Embarassed I blame my parents. They were there last time there was trouble...and arrived back in Lauterbrunnen on Sat. I'll have to tell them to stay away wink
snow report
and I thought britain was having a bad time
snow conditions
Annehillskiing, it is!!
latest report
I know, I am wondering whether our seasons are turning into wet and dry rather than the historical 4 season year!!!
snow conditions
Stab, what is the current situation in the Wengen area with the weather and flooding?
snow conditions
no problems at all, bit crap the weather like but nothing too bad. Had a dusting of snow up top last night.
snow report
Well, it can only get better. Puzzled
latest report
Good news, Flymaybe are going to Berne from Birmingham and Southampton next winter again and as we are not driving thats good news !!
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Well, it can only get better. Puzzled

you would think so but no, still raining.

26 days to Zermatt snowHead
latest report
Six killed in avalanche on Jungfrau

Two rope teams of three climbers were hit by an avalanche on the southwest flank of the Jungfrau peak, the Swiss air rescue service Rega said.
"The people who were in the avalanche were killed," said spokesman Thomas Kenner.

Read the full article at -

http://www.swissinfo.org:80/eng/front/detail/Six_killed_in_avalanche_on_Jungfrau.html?siteSect=105&sid=8016499&cKey=1184242255000
ski holidays
I was up there today, saw where they were killed, big avalanche. Apparantley they were told not to go there as we had a lot of snow recently up there, I dunno if that's true, like most of my stories. Laughing I did see them going up from scheidegg the other day, at least that part is true. Very Happy

it says in your link they don't know if they were military or not, they were.
ski holidays
Any hotel recommendations in Grindelwald for a long weekend? Reasonable but don't need falsh with at least 1 single room. Probably arriving late so Wengen not really an option.
snow conditions
fatbob, Re your point about arriving late, so Wengen not an option. Have you considered staying in Lauterbrunnen? I would estimate that the train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen must be about the same travel time as Interlaken to Grindelwald. You're then ideally positioned to have a day in Wengen and another day in Murren. I can recommend the hotel Schutzen. I stayed there for a week two seasons ago, but I believe they have flexible booking periods, so a weekend should be OK. Friendly staff, very good food and good value Very Happy
ski holidays
if you're coming now then forget grindelwald interlaken and grindelwald are full, lauterbrunnen is an option providing you're allergic to sunshine and garlic.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dare I ask why garlic??
snow conditions
Annehillskiing wrote:
Dare I ask why garlic??

don't vampires and creatures of the night react to garlic?
snow conditions
Question -

What other airports can you fly into to get to the Jungfrau Region using Gatwick/Heathrow/Southampton UK end instead of flying into Zurich,Geneva or Berne. I think Basal and another airport was mentioned a while back but cant fully remember the transfer times etc..
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Basle is about 3 hrs transfer away but you need to get a bust between station and airport, of course in theory now that they've cleared Interlaken airports runway you could fly into there if you've got a PPL
ski holidays
An (ultra)light airplane can land on the Mannlichen .... Toofy Grin

(allow me to dream on ;P)
ski holidays
...and a 747 can land anywhere once.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, They actually do light airplane and helicopter flights around the Eiger/Monch/Jungfrau from the Mannlichen for those that spare a couple of hundred franks... Its not a 'land once' thing there Wink
snow report
Ronald, I always wondered how they work it when they land/take off from Mannlichen on skids, but there's no snow at the airfield. Can they change skids to wheels mid flight?
ski holidays
5 days till zermatt woohoo, waxing the boards tomorrow. Had a few days boarding up around the monch the last week or 2, built a kicker, smoked some high altitude weed and shat me pants when a thunder storm came in, in that order. Also discovered that between april the 22nd and july I forgot how to snowboard properly and I'm now back to crap. Sad
My winter is also ruined, I'm working this year, for the 1st time ever in winter apart from djing at night. Not saying where yet as it's not 100% sure, I'm not happy but I think I'm convincing the g/f on an end of season alaska trip to make up for it Very Happy .
snow report
stab wrote:
My winter is also ruined, I'm working this year, for the 1st time ever in winter apart from djing at night.

Sorry to hear that, my deepest sympathies Very Happy
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes, Basle is about 3 hrs transfer away but you need to get a bust between station and airport...

easier said than done but it might be fun trying Laughing
snow conditions
D G Orf, cheers for the info
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy