Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller, i think Boresurfin is missing teh express too as he spent a lot of time hanging round that area in Les Coches etc last couple of weeks. If he could get his **** out of bed in the morning he could actually drive round one morning and make use of his free access to Les Arcs but something tells me he won't quite make it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller, any news from your mate?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Lastly and this hurts but and I hope boredsurfin does not read this but we miss the Vanoise being open and the ability to ski La Plagne.

Very Happy Very Happy wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth, I would but the teenager wouldn't Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, Is the Aguille Rouge a 'must do run' ? How is it graded? (We're off to Les Arcs on the 2/2) rob@rar, Perhaps you could teach me to ski Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My search for untouched powder!
After yesterday's pretty limited skiing - my missus hates ice and there was a lot of it lower down (or frozen concrete, as some might say) I was determined to get out on my own today & find some of that dusty stuff. I've been charging round like a lunatic all day & it went a little like this -
I was out at 10.15 a.m.(early for me) & it was still icy lower down, though not as bad as yesterday. I charged straight over to 2,000, via Derby & Transarc & was on Varet just after 11.00 a.m. I tried Dou de l' homme under the bubble, some of the piste was OK but the top bits were mostly windblown & crusty. So I went back up the same lift & joined the small queue for Aiguille Rouge (new replacement cable car), but there was a short delay because the cable for the entrance door was broken! Shades of vanoise Express...
It wasn't bad from the top, but I was too late to catch "first tracks" - the darksiders had beaten me to it! I should get up earlier... On my way down, I went right at the junction towards Villaroger, but I didn't fancy skiing down to the bottom yet, because of the rain-affected lower pistes, so I turned off the "road" & took the black Genepi run down to 2,000 , following 2 young French lads, who disaappeared from sight soon after. It was quite good to ski on, but very heavy, interspersed with lumps of snow from blasting higher up. I went back up Varet & cut across to Grand Col to see what it was like there - usually the best snow in the area. I had 2 runs, turning left at the top of the chair, once off piste, once down Refuge black. I was disappointed - why ? Because the light was poor & I couldn't see the moguls!! I skied like a ****, cursing, blaming everything except myself, of course.
I had to be careful, so I then decided on a break - my knees were starting to tremble. So I went to Les Chalets de l'Arc for lunch, full of apprehension, because we had tried a few times before & had always been unsuccessful - full up! This time, being January, they had, I think , one empty table & I squeezed in (lamb curry & rice - pretty good).
I was astonished how busy they were, first week in Jan., usually very quiet, and a grey day, poor visibility, snowing gently most of the day.
After lunch, I skied down le Vallee de l'Arc & up the old Comborciere lift (when are they going to change it?) for one of my favourite black runs underneath the chair. But instead of going straight down the pisted run, I took the left fork at the top towards Malgovert, & then cut back across the off-piste in between - at last I found it - glorious powder, much lower down than expected, almost untracked, & not a soul about. It made my day, brilliant rolling slopes, not too difficult, & I linked in with Comborciere piste about halfway down, with a big smile on my face. I went back up the chair & turned for home on Belvedere Blue, then I noticed that Les deux Tetes drag was shut & the piste was deserted & unpisted, so exit stage right, & it was brilliant also, almost as good as my previous run, & even lower down.
This finished me off & I headed back to the Peisey woods, staying on piste, absolutely knackered, but very , very happy, looking forward to a few glasses of my favourite vino.
The moral of this story is - don't go charging off to the highest & most famous spots, you can often find good snow in the most unexpected places. Seek & ye shall find....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fj, great report Smile

erica2004, if I tried to teach you I fear your skiing would be broken beyond repair Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is the lack of the VE service making the Peisey-Vallandry area quieter than usual?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, the whole domain resort seemed quiet over Christmas & New Year, not just the Peisey/Vallandry area. Don't know whether that was because the VE is shut or people staying away because of the poor start to last season putting them off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, On a purely selfish note of course I'd love it to be quieter than normal at half term, but I do feel for businesses who're suffering losses because of it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, jice report...let me know what Montchavin etc is like
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, I was asking the same question in this thread on 31st December and got lots of advice (and a photo!) - well worth a look... snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hey guys i was there for new year and found loads of queues so i think the VE is not making much difference, sorry to disagree
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kewhoward, just found it Shocked
have you done it yet?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its me and the better half live from the blue bar again.

Been snowing here heavily since about 3am. Mrsfatcontroller would say I am no good at judging size Embarassed but I reckon there has been a good 50cm. Got photos and will post when we get back tomorrow. Conditions are hard today as nothing is bashed. Anyone on there way is in for a real treat.

Signing of now but its still snowing heavily here snowHead snowHead

La Plagne Thursday was brill. Catch you all from dreary UK tomorrow Mad
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Anyone on there way is in for a real treat.

Smile

And more to come, apparently.
snow report
After the rain of only a few days ago, this is heaven! We've been out most of the day, and the powder was brilliant, I reckon at least 25cm (someone else is exaggerating a trifle, methinks). Lower down it has covered up all the boilerplating, and higher up it is fabulous, and it is still snowing , as I write. LOTS OF LOVELY REAL FLUFFY POWDER, a joy to ski on!! Also, being changeover day, the pistes were deserted.
ski holidays
fj,

Sounds like heaven, we are out in 2 weeks hope it all holds out !

I see you are located in Peisey - we are staying at Chalet Edelweiss in Peisey do you know it ?
snow report
Kwakazx6r - yes, I know where Chalet Edelweiss is - it's in Villaret, a small hamlet next to old Peisey village, underneath the Vanoise Express cable car. It is very convenient for the lobster pots lift, which takes you up the hill to Plan Peisey, where the 6 man chair & the Vanoise Express normally run from. As I am sure you are aware, the Vanoise Express is out of action for the whole of this season, due to cable problems, but this should not spoil your enjoymment of a great area.
Ski Beat which runs the Edelweiss, has an excellent reputation for food & service in the locality, and the chalet is a superb modern building. We love old Peisey village, it has a couple of bars, some very good restaurants, and a nice Dairy Food shop run by the local farm. Try their cheeses!
snow conditions
fj,

Sounds great, thanks. Is it possible to ski down to Peisey village from Plan Peisey ?
snow conditions
Yes, if conditions allow- in other words, if there is enough snow, which isn't always the case. It isn't too difficult, if you don't mind dodging a few bushes & trees. The route is directly underneath the lobster pots, so you can plan out your route beforehand, from above!
snow report
Justn got back home. Knackered but what a great week. Yesterday was extradionary, so much snow and more on the way. Shocked Laughing

Will post more and some photos later, need a cup ot tea rolling eyes snowHead
latest report
thefatcontroller,

Welcome back, looking foreward to the pics - 13 days to go Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Some Photos from last week. Most of the phots were taken before it snowed all day Friday. It is just so white Cool Cool Cool Click on thumbnails for bigger pictures

View Of 2000 Bowl From Top Of Grand Col 09-01-08

Transarc Mid Station 09-01-08

View From Chalet Window of Les Coches The Washing Line

Grand Col 09-01-08 (the person in the middle of the sope is mrsfatcontroller who wants to kill me for persuading her to ski what was a huge, huge mogul field Toofy Grin

Looking Up Reches From Top Le Derby Lift

Arc 2000 from Top Of Transarc

Arc 2000 from Top Of Transarc

Arc 1800

Arc 1600 and Bourg St Maurice

Muquet Black Run Links to Comborciere Black Run-Fantastic

Comborciere Black Run. Brillant Run

Snow Last Friday Morning 11-01-08. After this photo was taken it snowed for another 12 hours solid Shocked snowHead

Pesiey Chairlift 11-01-08

Peisey 11-01-08

Peisey 11-01-08

MrsFatcontroller and 3 MiniControllers
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, nice pics, thanks for sharing
latest report
Not that much to add to what has already been said, but as I've been lurking for weeks on this thread, and have another 5 weeks in Les Arcs this season, so I thought I'd make my first post - take it easy if I've done something wrong.

Anyway... got back yesterday after 9 days, did fly drive Heathrow to Lyon, no problems at all there. The rain earlier in the week was pretty miserable, but certainly went uphill after that - later in the week was absolutely gorgeous. The dump Friday / Saturday changed things so dramatically. Saturday was really the first time I've skied on a foot of real white fluffy stuff, absolutely amazing. Towards the end of the day I was venturing a little off piste, what a feeling!!!
Really struggled with the bottom of the Refuge, which I inadvertently hit, should have stayed left! The moguls were massive, but the other two blacks I did were fairly easy, Bosses and the one off the top of the Grizzly.
Took a couple of private lessons with ESF which I thought were very good and reasonably priced at €70 for 2 hours.
Only slightly negative bit was the state of the roads, they weren't good after the dump. The road from Nancroix to Vallandry really was quite scary, I didn't use the chains, but in hindsight should have done. The only way to get up the hill was to go reasonably quickly and not be afraid to spin the wheels a bit.

All in all, an amazing week.
ski holidays
Just got back (with allanm).

Before Friday there was still loads of powder hidden away as got bullied by bigger boys (and girls) to do malgovert... so much powder!!!

But... stuff of dreams last 2 days!!!

Friday was extraordinary!!! Never seen powder on piste like that. Looks like they just didn't bash the resort as some treat for the locals/hardened. Couldn't see where the pistes stopped and the off piste started in some areas.

Got first tracks (well, maybe 3rd or 4th) down morey. Had to pinch myself Very Happy

Couldn't be more different from last year.

Also considered (for a moment) of doing the run down under the lobster pots. But then again I was already sporting a bruised rib from earlier in the week (poor excuse I know).

If its similar in 3 weeks time (unlikely) i just may have a go.

Tux
ski holidays
allanm, welcome to Sn snowHead wheads! Great report. I will be out in Peisey for first snow Sat am - We have needed chains to get in 3 ex 6 visits to Peisey. Getting very excited. Glad to hear malgovert is open, not managed that quirky old piste for a couple of years.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Nicholas, Enjoy, conditions are fantastic, you are in for a treat Cool

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 14-01-08 18:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Who is going to be out from the 26 Jan through to mid Feb, sounds like the snow is great and more is on the way. What a winter.
ski holidays
snowcrazy,

Im out 26th Jan for a week - sounds fantastic, cant wait Cool
snow report
snowcrazy,

Yes, I'm back out on the 25th for 2 weeks and then the 13th March for another 2 and a bit weeks, on a mission this year, I'm going to learn to ski this season!!
These next two weeks are going to drag like there's no tomorrow, one working day down already though.

AllanM
latest report
snowcrazy, We'll be in Plan Peisey from Friday till 2nd Feb snowHead It cant come quick enough Toofy Grin
latest report
geri, Enjoy. Was impressed with Plan Peisey for access to lifts but cars don't half travel at speed on the road Shocked Shocked Shocked

We had dinner on the chalet hosts night of in the restaurant beside the Vanoise, it was ok.

Meal highlights were by far lunch in La ferme in Villaroger. Just fantastic. A long hard ski followed by venison stew. To die for.

For pure gluttony the 'american burger' in the Les 3 Arcs in Arc 1600 was great. Loved it so much went there twice. Myself and my mates decision wasn't swayed by the buxom middle aged waitress who was very tactile. Much to amusement of our good wives she nearly gave my mate a black eye Blush Blush snowHead snowHead
snow report
thefatcontroller, The restaurant beside the Vanoise is L'Armoise. We live just near there Toofy Grin We love it & our lovely son has booked us in & paid for us to have dinner there on Friday Very Happy
ski holidays
geri, It was a place called Le Solan?
latest report
thefatcontroller, Its lovely in there -& they deliver pizza to your door too Toofy Grin Its a fun place to be if England are playing France at rugby or football - as long as they're winning Toofy Grin
snow report
Another brilliant day on & off piste, today. Went to Blanche Muree resto for morning coffee, & teased one of the waiters who is a Biarritz fan (they got thrashed by Sarries on Sat. In European Cup. Then headed up Col de Frettes, & down Lac piste, one of my favourite little pistes. I then headed for Aiguille Rouge cable car, and was astonished to find NO QUEUE (that must be a first!). The snow up top was pretty good on & off piste, so I decided to head for Villaroger down the 6 k. run. It was excellent, just a few small stones on the road in the usual place just after the right fork on the piste. I zoomed down to Le Solliet resto, which seemed to be full of les Rosbifs - English chatter everywhere, not a Russian in sight, must have hangovers after their New Year celebrations... le Solliet has changed hands recently, and all the staff seemed very keen, including Madame who held the door open for me, whilst I staggered through with a trayful. I didn't bother with the last piste down to the village, 'cos I find it a little boring, just a road , really, though having read thefatcontroller, and his lunch at La Ferme, I might have made a mistake! Diots & pasta don't exactly compare with venison...
On my way back up to 2000, I tried Les Drosets black for only the second time ever, and it was excellent, one of the best runs of the day. This is the run that goes over the top of the main road up to 2000, and it was great fun, especially dodging the bushes lower down. I then went up Comborciere chair & down Malgovert piste, another one of my favourites. It was great , as usual.
Les Deux tetes Poma was working today , so I went up it, & back down the piste, another excellent run, partly on powder. I then headed back home, via Le Clocheret, Col des Frettes & the woods.
It was another great day, I don't think I've seen the snow so good, so early in the season, both on & off piste, for a long time.
Oh yes , as I write this, IT'S SNOWING AGAIN! I can't cope with any more...
ski holidays
fj, Its always worth that last bit down to Villaroger for the lunch. Try it, you won't regret it. Its simple you order the plat du jour, an alcoholic drink and relax snowHead
snow report
fj, its good here innnit?!

Having had one or two too many beers last night, decided to spend the day over at 1600 in the woods by Mont Blanc chair. The snow is great, the pistes / restaurants / lifts empty, and its still snowing. Like you, did the Rouge with no Q on the cable-car (last thing Sunday eve), never thought I'd get another chance to walk straight on - clearly I was wrong!

Been told to expect 20cm overnight, and a white out storm on Wednesday with 60+ - maybe wishful thinking, but will be going for the 2000 bowl black tomorrow just in case - genepi is open, as are the bumps under Varet, so a few of those, and if Droset is as good as you say, then it has to be worth a shout.

The conditions are certainly as good as I have ever seen them for this time of year, and honestly, there is no-one about ( well, the odd ski school, but even there, one of our party is only here for a couple of days - they are happy for him to join a class for those days, rather than pay for the whole week - they must be desperate!) so if you are thinking of a late booking, its certainly worth a thought.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy