Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé and Super Salzburg Pass - Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Great pics of the kids Waynos!!!

Kersh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm in Bad Gastein this week. Lovely snow. Visibility very poor today and also very busy. There was nothing this morning in the town, but now about an inch. I was shocked at how green everything was when arriving last night but the skiing/boarding would have been good if the light was a little less flat. Still snowing now. I heard a couple discussing the rain in Dorf Gastein today so surprised by the post above. Hope it stays snowy but I need a blue day to stop myself giving up snowboarding and getting back on skis ( I brought both with me)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About 15 - 20cm already in Bad Gastein.

Snowing heavily with a lot more to come.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's been V warm, here in Flachau. With rain or, at the best, sleet at lower levels. Even higher up the hill snow was still very wet and heavy. Found best snow over the G-Link on Grafenberg, yesterday morning. Kids in ski school for 2 hrs this morning, or we'd be going further a field today.
This morning, looking at the cars, it appears that overnight we have had about 10 cm in Flachau and it sis still snowing! Hopefully more up top. We are based near the Achterjet.

Unfortunately the forecast still suggests warm temps and rain at lower /village levels, and this is forecast to continue through the week. Sunny and 11°C for Tuesday. Sad Although, the forecast for anything over a few days away has been unreliable. Please be colder!

We will be out early to get some fresh tracks and going high (bear in mind the village is 900m village and the top is 2000m) . The bar at the top of the Achtejet will get some damage later!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dirty Gibson, there´s this little trick, you need to ski above the snowfall line wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, Maybe Sportgastein is above the clouds… Not looking forward to getting the car out of the carpark though. Never driven on winter tyres in snow before.

BG 10 mins ago.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like around 35cms fallen in Bad Gastein around town (it's up to my elbow). Should be more higher up and still snowing. xcweather got the depth pretty spot on..

It's forecasting another 30cms for Wednesday but warmer so could be more rain in the town.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Looks like around 35cms fallen in Bad Gastein around town (it's up to my elbow).

I'm not sur eif you are really really short or if you meant 135cm Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm not sur eif you are really really short or if you meant 135cm

Up to my elbow when I put my arm in.

120cm on the measuring stick mid-station Graukogel. Was 85cms a couple of days ago and only 50cms a week ago. Open now to the bottom for the first time since the opening week.

Pretty warm though and the snow was heavy and clunky especially lower down.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Measured it on the roof of my car just above the town at 30cm. Great skiing today.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

Looks like around 35cms fallen in Bad Gastein around town (it's up to my elbow).

I'm not sur eif you are really really short or if you meant 135cm Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So you measured the snow by dipping in your fore-arm, whilst standing on a car which was situated 30cm higher than the town?

I'll give that a go next time!! Seems pretty accurate to me; especially down here in Radstadt! The snow was a good quality down to the valley today after a nice cold night. Pretty wet below 900m in the early morning but it snowed up until midday which settled things down.

Not so busy on piste as I though it would be this week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Never driven on winter tyres in snow before.

Well, better that than driving on summer tyres. Just take it easy and be light on the gas and brake pedals.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scored the best powder of my season today (that doesn't say too much) in Schladming (well Hauser Kaibling). Around 20cms higher up of fresh, temps around -5 so pretty fluffy. Very quiet on the hill, many fair weather skiers in town I guess. Damp in the valley and the fohn returns tomorrow making it warm again.

A nice tight line between the trees.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking good
snow report
A good top up of snow today in Flachau. Good snow to start, as the day progressed it held up well on most areas.
By mid morning, the pistes under the top level of the Flying Motzart (Wagrain side) was mounded and moguled.. There was a noticeable change around noon to this piste, it went from easy sliding to very 'grippy' approaching the mid station. Bordering on glue like! It made skiing hard work. However, at the same height on the Flachau side, the snow remained good at the higher levels.
By the end of the day, the piste at the bottom of the Achterjet lift it was the usual heavy, unpleasant porridge that we have been experiencing the last few days. Lifts down for tired legs.

Now very mild, and the warm temps are still forecast for Tuesday (10 or 11°C is not good in the valley). I'm afraid it looks like the general warm conditions will continue for the remainder of our week.

Possible top up on Wednesday, similar to today but that may also mean rain at lower levels. Sad Please get colder!
ski holidays
snowheads68 & Dirty Gibson, sounds awesome. Looked like loads in Gastein today!! Wish I was there!!

Kersh
snow conditions
Skied the morning at Hochwurzen, Schladming. Day started quite cold with fog in the valley but lovely sunshine higher up. Piste were A1 condition, did some off piste with Jnr and still some very nice soft snow about. Was surprisingly quiet , not a single queue for a lift, maybe people put off by the low fog?

Warmed up in afternoon as forecast but more snow tomorrow evening and some weather approaching winter at the weekend, maybe.
latest report
Quote:

snowheads68 & Dirty Gibson, sounds awesome. Looked like loads in Gastein today!! Wish I was there!!

Kersh

All pistes open and bashed at Graukogel today for the first time this season.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Never driven on winter tyres in snow before.

Well, better that than driving on summer tyres. Just take it easy and be light on the gas and brake pedals.

Yes, driven on 4WD with chains plenty but wasn't sure how far to trust the winter tyres before chaining up. The road up to the carpark here is very steep and I watched a couple of 2wd cars coming down with front wheels locked, sliding all the way. Decided I wasn't doing it without chains.

It was a proper powder day here yesterday and I had my kids in and out of the side piste trying to get them to appreciate the feeling of a little float. Busy though!
snow conditions
Snow / rain forecast for later today, already precip-ing just to the south (as usual!). For those with a super pass and hungry for powder then a trip south to Katschberg (just south of Obertauern) could be worth it.
http://www.bergfex.com/katschberg/wetter/berg/ with 37cms forecast today compared with 10cm for Schladming - take the cms with a large pinch of salt but indicates where there should be more.
ski holidays
been snowing quite steadily since midday. Did a late afternoon ski and ankle deep on piste. Then went night skiing with Jnr until 10pm. He wore me out, creamy freshly prepared piste, dead quiet and fun under floodlights and falling snow. Time to unclip from the skis and get some sleep ready for tomorrow,
ski holidays
Didn't get much snow overnight, but was coming down quite hard early this morning. Spent the morning with jnr and oh at Planai, a nice 5-10cms of fresh and feeling cold, though actually only -5.
Around midday it started snowing pretty hard, must have been another 10cms within a couple of hours. Had a late afternoon session with Scarpa the Avalanche Poodle, in the Mitterhaus woods.
Had a nice 15-20cms of fresh untracked through the woods, such fun terrain, well spaced trees, gentle angle, puffy powder and lots of stumps making great ramps for floaty airtime. Still snowing when we
finished skiing, though starting to fade, a clear cold night would make tomorrow a very good day. May have to get a small tour or two in.

The Poodle...
snow conditions
A sunny and cool day on the mountain. Searching out powder with a friend that's a very good skier who wanted to practise off piste on race gs skis ready for his LS2 exams. So he wasn't too pleased when I took him on a big east facing route that had a nice crusty layer under the fresh powder, I wasn't best pleased either. After that we kept to north facing or shaded terrain which was holding some nice powder without the crust underneath, even to quite low altitude. Followed by a nice hour spent on the balcony catching some warming rays.
ski holidays
Just so waynos doesn't have to keep talking to himself....

Good snow and sunshine for the past few days. Some runs getting a bit choppy late afternoon, but great skiing to be had Smile
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, cheers for the company, I assume people read and are just lost for words. My last ski day for a while. A few days of spring sunshine and lovely skiing. Piste in great shape early doors, north facing and shaded areas holding some good soft snow off piste. Did few north facing lines off the top of Hauser Kaibling today, really good soft snow, powder in places and nice and steep (35+). Some ideal ski touring conditions at the moment, I need more time!
ski holidays
Anyone in the Gastein Valley ? Arriving there on the weekend so getting excited ... what are the conditions looking like ?
snow conditions
I did the Kings Tour last week, so a little further down the valley, but the pistes were damn fine Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Speedster, have fun. Conditions look good at the moment. Will have to catch up in Gastein soon.

Cheers
snow report
Speedster.

I'm in Bad Gastein. Fantastic conditions on piste at the moment. Best of the season IMHO.
ski holidays
Sweet. Good to hear although there doesn't look to be much new snow coming through in the next week according to the forecasts. Kersh - when are you next in Bad Gastein ? Kings tour I'm definitely going to try and tick off this trip. Have done all the parts before (including negotiating a slushfest down into Dienten with Kersh a couple of seasons ago) but not all in one go.
snow conditions
Speedster, as I mentioned today in the weather thread get yourself the salzburg superpass and try a few other areas if the snow gods don't deliver the goods. The Kins tour is good though. From gasteain you've got easy reach to Saalbach, Kaprun, Moltaller glacier for instance. Lungau has had much more snow due to be southern side of main alpine ridge, probably a bit of a trek from gastein (back up to A10, then head south through tauern tunnel) but worth a day trip maybe.
latest report
Was in Bad Gastein at the weekend. The pistes were better on sunday after a bit of fresh snow but the offpiste was very lumpy (bit of ankle dust on tracked out).
snow report
Speedster wrote:
negotiating a slushfest down into Dienten with Kersh a couple of seasons ago

That was mad that run into Dienten! The worst bit was leaving our other halves in the hut up the mountain which meant we had to lift back up and do it all over again! I did the same run last season ... when it was covered in about half a metre of pow! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Not sure when we're back out next but will let you know. Have fun this weekend .. i'm jealous!!!

Kersh
snow report
Wassa snow doing in Ski Amade, please?
latest report
Melting would be the short answer ! Skied the Saalbach circus today so not technically Ski Amade but general picture is that its spring skiing so in the morning hard and fast, gets soft from lunch onwards. Decent coverage from middle stations upwards but anything down from there is gone except for the piste itself. And then only where it seems there are a decent bank of snow guns. On that topic Saalbach/Hinterglemm is pretty impressive... the trail map claims 500 snow cannons across the whole area.

This is from Monday looking out North to Schlossalm from Jungeralm. Doesn't do justice... skiing is actually really enjoyable on the piste. Seems like spring has come a bit early this year.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 12-03-14 18:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
No fresh for a while but the pistes are still good. At the moment they are forecasting colder temps this weekend with 20cm falling. Fingers crossed it's real.
snow conditions
Amade seems to be a little less slushy than Sal if a friends account is true. I was skiing at 14:00 today and it was just getting a bit heavy.
ski holidays
Speedster, ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle, thanks. Fingers crossed!
snow conditions
Skied Radstadt today. Excellent on north facing slopes and no probs even down to the bottom. V warm - 15c.

Some resorts defo struggling lower down. Bad Hofgastein and Dorfgastein home runs closed. St Johann in Pongau closed a couple of weeks ago.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy