Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got hairy legs, so it's going to be a hard winter. Mark my words.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
emwmarine, talking about lakes, it will be intriguing to see the one at Tignes le Lac. I have not seen it before except heavily frozen over and with snow on it. Not so now. Must admit I have not been in Tignes so early before - but I have been mid December.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i've just booked a lads weekend in Morzine for the first week in Jan - I am mad? Always a gamble but now quite concerned after reading this post!

How bad could it be this year? I was in morzine at the same time last year - we had rain on the lower slopes but managed to find some decent snow in Avoriaz and Chatel.

Worst case scenario is obviously cashing in lift pass for 8euro beer tokens in Budha bar.... Should I be packing suncream and alka seltzer???
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SWISSWALL, Was in Avoriaz last weekend! No snow but lots of sun and dust from the building! Dont be overly concerned, some flakes will fall before the 10th December as that is when I will be out for a first week of the season bash! TBH it was actualy colder in Morzine than Avoriaz!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SWISSWALL wrote:
I was in morzine at the same time last year - we had rain on the lower slopes but managed to find some decent snow in Avoriaz and Chatel.

I should strongly imagine you'll get the same again this year
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
SWISSWALL wrote:
I was in morzine at the same time last year - we had rain on the lower slopes but managed to find some decent snow in Avoriaz and Chatel.

I should strongly imagine you'll get the same again this year

rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austria is drying up!

This year the resorts are in a Quandary

This is the longest period without rain since 1978
Temperature Inversion
Snow Making not possible above 1500M it is just to warm,

Western Austria temperatures are 7 degrees above normal.
Eastern Austria below the mean

8th of December is critical. If the slopes are still green, a sense of crisis for businesses as Christmas bookings get cancelled.

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Oesterreich-trocknet-aus/47057970

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 22-11-11 18:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton, Not sure you're facts quite add up. Inversion, so snow making limited to under 1500m but then you say +10C at 1000m? And is Eastern Austria below mean temps?
Around Schladming for sure there's an inversion with +temps at 2000m all day and night whilst -6 in town at night and not above freezing in the shade during the days. Snow making mostly below 1200m. I do know of some hotels around here that have winter guest arriving first week of Dec and are a little worried, not sure much panic has started yet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, So the video of piste bashers moving mountains of man-made snow around at Idalp (Ischgl) is faked is it? And thier planning to open this coming weekend with around 71k of skiing is made up as well (they have even listed each piste that will open)rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, Trip trap... trip trap.... rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The last 18 months have been incredibly dry in the Northern French Alps and Swiss Valais. In Switzerland they are around a third of their annual rainfall (for 2011), In France the figure is around 50%. For a start that means less water for snowmaking, particularly later in the season when there may be pressures from other sources. Remember a lot of resorts ran out of water during the course of last season and that was following a more or less normal year.

Regarding temperatures. It has not been less than 0C in the French Alps at 2000m for the last week, even at night. As we speak it is 8C at 1900 meters at Celliers, 2C at 2400 meters at Courchevel and -3C at 2850 meters above Val d'Isere, -1C at 2600 meters at Verbier. At what level you can currently run snowmaking in France depends on a number of factors but they won't be able to do much below 2000 meters, even overnight.

Still we are only at the 22 November, it is obviously not going to be an early season bonanza and things need to cool down quite a bit yet for the season to get started.

I don't know about Austrian temperatures but please feel free to post any information.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This chart for Tauplitz, Austria makes interesting reading

Note that at 1571 the temps are lower than higher up and more variable and over very little altitude difference.
But the main take away is the above feeezing conditions higher up.

This is for the Grimming (just east of Schladming, no lifts here on one of the tallest free standing hills in the alps, apparently)

Again this is quite striking, the low station temps way lower than 1500m higher up during the nights.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waynos wrote:
stanton, Not sure you're facts quite add up. Inversion, so snow making limited to under 1500m but then you say +10C at 1000m? And is Eastern Austria below mean temps?

It is what they say in the link provided.

RobinS wrote:
stanton, So the video of piste bashers moving mountains of man-made snow around at Idalp (Ischgl) is faked is it? And thier planning to open this coming weekend with around 71k of skiing is made up as well (they have even listed each piste that will open)rolling eyes

Ischgl have primarily sheltered North,NW Facing slopes,the snow which fell in October did not all melt, they have over 1000 snow cannons & the financial resources to pull it off.

http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/schnee-und-lawineninfo/messstationen/r4-silvretta-samnaun/idalpe/

The Opening Concert/Party is always held in the Car Park in town not on the hill

Obergurgl

They have managed to get some manmade runs laid down

http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/schnee-und-lawineninfo/messstationen/r8-oetztal-stubai-sued/rosskar/

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 22-11-11 18:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When is this thread going to end !!!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
phillip33, I'll give you one guess
snow report
Dr John,

A doctor just what I need , are you medical or mental if it's the latter I need help I sound to much time on this website Very Happy
latest report
waynos wrote:
This chart for Tauplitz, Austria makes interesting reading

Note that at 1571 the temps are lower than higher up and more variable and over very little altitude difference.
But the main take away is the above feeezing conditions higher up.

great chart, so we see the normal temperature variation at low altitude and a huge funk of stale flatulant hot air sitting on top.

This is at 300 meters near Grenoble, similar thing

http://meteo.hyvrard.com/graph.php?x=1-24-temperature.jpg

but a similar picture up the hill, this time at Chamrousse at 1850 meters

snow conditions
Waiting for snow to appear, I split my 'worry time' between the Tignes Le Lac webcam and this thread, but now there's confusing looking and boring graphs, I'll stick to the webcam.

Or maybe stop worrying and planning snow-alternate excursions Toofy Grin
snow conditions
In fairness to stanton, my gf is saying very similar things from Innsbruck. Whopping 6cms of snow at 2300 metres at Nordkette atm... Still hoping this season will end up being the opposite of last year and dump down dec/jan/feb... Confused
snow report
Still cant understand why people think last year was so bad
I would think at worst I would have said it was an average snow year In Austria and Italy anyway
I cant comment on elsewhere though
snow report
You can always rely on the Daily Mail to brighten your day...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2064923/Popular-Austrian-ski-resorts-report-worrying-lack-snow.html

I actually laughed.
snow report
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2064826/New-leak-hacked-global-warming-scientist-emails-A-smoking-gun-proving-conspiracy--just-hot-air.html

Read this in the linked articles though... "It is still unclear what effect - or combination of effects - is causing the current warming of the atmosphere, which has risen around one temperature in the past 50 years."

What, exactly, is "one temperature"?

The Daily Mail: written by f*ckwits for f*ckwits
snow report
Garfield wrote:
I would think at worst I would have said it was an average snow year In Austria and Italy anyway

Where I was skiing in Austria the majority of the season was abysmal. Spring set in at Nordkette from mid Jan, terrible snow base. November was pretty good though.

Conditions on piste were fine, other than being boring.
snow conditions
davidof,

Must be a local thing. I assure you it was -5 on sunday morning 400m above Chamonix.
snow conditions
Garfield wrote:

Without snowmaking, last year in Austria would of been a disaster.
ski holidays
Quote:

There was snow. But it was very warm. On Sella Ronda (which seems to have a higher than normal proportion of gondolas) it was so warm you had to half undress in the gondola cabins to cool down. All the snow on the skis had melted off completely by the top. Snow was a bit squishy and cut up at 4:30pm, but was still skiable. Still nothing like a few years back in Avoriaz. So much rain that it was like skiing in wet cement all day! First time I've seen the cropper chopper more than twice in a day. All the rookies in our chalet seemed to be scared to go up high because they associated high with expert (snow was ace there), and wanted to stay low (where it was naff). 1st/2nd week of Jan in Hochzillertal was a bit squishy too in places.

Only difference now is, there's been no rain or snow. Last precipitation of significance that I've observed was MTBing in the Cairngorms... in August!
latest report
under a new name wrote:
davidof,

Must be a local thing. I assure you it was -5 on sunday morning 400m above Chamonix.

temperature inversion, 400m above Chamonix is 1400m, as you can see here it never dropped below freezing at 1300m above Chamonix all day on Sunday

snow conditions
Here you can see what Ischgl can do with 1000 snow cannon & the reality elsewhere in Austria

http://de.euronews.net/2011/11/23/kein-schnee-auf-oesterreichs-ski-pisten/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Supposedly will be +6c in Val D today although that doesn't appear to have stopped them running the cannons - there's probably a metre of snow under one Smile They also reckon there's 120cm snow at 3000m although you wouldn't think so from the cams. For some reason Tignes seems colder - it isn't that much higher - although they are forecasting slightly warmer temps over the next few days.

Val is supposed to opening in 3 days - can't see it myself Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Has anyone actually cancelled their holiday on the back of the current conditions?
snow report
surfstar wrote:
Has anyone actually cancelled their holiday on the back of the current conditions?

I hope not. Years ago we wouldn't have had webcams and forums to get everyone stressed out.

Pam is correct, it is still quite early, 2 years ago on this very day I was sitting on the terrace of my local cafe having lunch in gorgeous weather with not a flake on the mountains and that was a good winter.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
surfstar wrote:

I hope not. Years ago we wouldn't have had webcams and forums to get everyone stressed out.

It would give us all a good laugh if someone did though.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff wrote:
davidof wrote:
surfstar wrote:

It would give us all a good laugh if someone did though.

especially if the mountains then got pounded a few days before with a week of perfect blue skies.

btw 120cm at 3000m at Val d'Isere is quite possible, a big storm blew in from the east at the start of November and Val caught some. You can still ski from the Col du Lauteret above Serre Che which is "just" 2000 m.

This is looking down to the road which runs down to Briancon

ski holidays
All I know is that last season had the most promising start to the season......it dumped down repeatedly in the Portes du Soleil and most parts of the alps in Nov and start of Dec, and then most of France only had a hand full of flakes for the rest of the season, with many resorts closing early. January in Les Gets was ice/grass/mud and most definitely no off piste, skiing in a t-shirt and applying sun cream (a tropical 10C). So I interpret this current lack of snow as the almighty snow gods saving it for when it matters.......when I go away in Jan. wink
snow conditions
Tordi, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Going for a lads weekend to St Anton 9th December, get a bit concerned that we may have to drink more beer if the slopes are not ready!! wink

The plan was we'd be ripping off-piste on the new White Dots, but WTF if we have to rent some big radius carvers rather than trashing our own ski's and be in the Mooswirt by 3pm I can live with that - not a bad way to spend a dark early December weekend and beats Xmas shopping.

2.4567838 weeks is a long time in the mountains....................... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Markymark29, doesn't sound to shabby to me! Cool
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
The plan was we'd be ripping off-piste on the new White Dots,

Off Piste that early (9th December) in St Anton is unlikely any season, the base is never deep enough & to many obstacles.
snow report
stanton, there are plenty of pics on TGR of some of the Innsbruck crew skinning and skiing around Stuben (from the October snowfall I think - looked bloody awesome!). I was hiking for turns from the village through easily wast deep snow 24th November 2008, and skiing offpiste the majority of that season from then on, although that was a big snow year.
latest report
Any chance of snow in Piemonte?

Viola St Gree to more precise!

I need it for Boxing day...Or I will be taking my hiking gear too Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy