Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Very nice Snowcrazy, enjoy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great work snowcrazy, thanks!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Webcams look beautiful this morning. Enjoy what looks like a fantastic bluebird day for anyone out there preparing to hike!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking nice and snowy at Arc 1950 and 2000 this morning.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another trip into the back country, this time with a scenic photo shoot in mind.

Blue sky, fresh snow, an empty mountain and no tracks in sight. What more could I wish for. Toofy Grin

As I shall be based in Arc 1950 as a ski host for the Film Festival VIP's again starting from tomorrow I thought it would be fun on such a nice day to get high and look across to Les Arcs ski domain and get some photos of the whole area. snowHead

Time to head up to La Rosiere and into one of the back valleys looking across to Les Arcs.

What a great day. As always with La Rosiere you need to choose where you ski quite carefully to avoid wind slab, but there are some great off piste areas if you plan your route. As my idea for today was to get good photos plus finding some off piste. I headed high on skins and got onto the ridge away from the pistes. If only the lifts were working to get me half way up. Oh well! rolling eyes

Having made the ridge, I had a photo stop and then headed into the valley. More untracked snow with great vis, but did give myself a little scare when the snow started to make strange noises. Ops!!! Shocked Time to get onto safer ground quickly. All alone on unstable snow is not a good place to be. Very Happy

(Remember folks, like they say on TV, do not do this yourself. Well that covers me anyway. As I do enjoy being out in these places alone sometimes it is a risk I am willing to take. Please do not copy what I do unless you really know what you are doing. Ok I think that's enough, now back to the report.)

Once heading into the valley, on a very safe line I skied down towards the forest, stopping on the way for more photos and then finally arrived back at La Rosiere after a bit more skinning. Once I got away from the wind effected unstable stuff the snow was great. Managed to put fresh tracks everywhere I went and really enjoyed the calm peace of the place before the lifts open on Saturday. snowHead

Looking across at Les Arcs ski domain. The runs down to Villaroger are complete and they are getting them ready for skiing. The whole of the Arc 2000 bowl looks great and the off piste into the national park looks very tempting, but I think it might be very unstable right now.

Here is one of the photos, the others can be seen on my Les Arcs Winter page. Link below.

When I get up to Les Arcs 2000 bowl tomorrow I shall take a few pics of the area and maybe skin up to the ridge somewhere. Have a few meetings first so not sure how much time I might have. Check back tomorrow evening for more pics. Hope you enjoyed this second mini report. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
can anyone recommend a reasonably priced taxi firm?? We'll be arriving at bourg early Sat morning (7/1/12) rather tha jump on funicular and then shuttle to 1950, it will prob be less hassle since we'll have a baby with us. there'll be 5 adults plus the pup so we'll prob need a firm with a minibus. Cheers

snowcrazy, Thanks for the report and pics
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dsmart, tbh they are all much of a muchness from the station to 1950. I do have a rack of their business cards, but I can't tell which ones are cars or mini-buses from back here in the UK

But there are plenty of minibus taxis waiting in the car park there for you, more than enough not to worry about having to be first off the train. Last year I would have expected to pay, for 5 about €80 - €85 . But of course, am keen to find out what we'll be paying this year - let us know how you go!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Roll, thanks, if we can get it for around that price its not too bad. I'll let ya know!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great report snowcrazy, just be careful out on your own! Hoping to put a face to the posts when I'm out at the end of Jan Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Leaving in 4 hours. So excited snowHead Any news on what lifts are going to be opened?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Couple of photos from today, from around 1800m

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.lesarcsnet.com/webcams/les-arcs-1600.html

picture at around 1600
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today I have moved up to Arc 1950 where I am the Official Ski/Snowboard Host for the Festival de Cinema Europeen des Arcs. I had to add that as it sounds very posh!! Toofy Grin

http://www.facebook.com/festivaldecinemaeuropeendesarcs

For anyone thinking of coming out, this is a great week to be here. Now the snow has arrived most areas will open (see next post) and the films are interesting to see and quite cheap.

Did not manage to get out on my skis or board today as was to busy Sad , but there is loads of snow about and if you have a quick scan of all the web cams in the links section, you will have a good idea of the amount of snow around.

What you cannot tell is that the wind picked up and made some areas very dangerous due to wind slab and the temperature is up and down like a yoyo today so there are going to be very mixed conditions tomorrow, but I think we will still find some great places to ride.

If it stays cold we are in for some good riding over the next week as the base consolidates and new snow arrives. Fingers crossed that it snows and does not rain as happened last year.

More info about changes up in resort stations and what's opening this weekend to follow shortly. snowHead

Rob, saw your pics, are you out now. Send me an email or give me a call if you fancy meeting up. If there are any other snowheads coming out this week, do let me know. We can meet for a beer, even if not a ski if you wish.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, Hi Chris, I'm skiing in Meribel this week, so the visit to Les Arcs was just to set my apartment up. Will be back in Meribel tonight (although currently in Tignes). Will get on touch next week when back in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy, rob@rar, great stuff guys, many thanks for the appetite whetting info and pics. snowHead
snow conditions
Guys, judging on current conditions would you say that in your view the whole Paradiski area will be open from the 17th, including links to the lower villages and to the Vanoise, or is it likely to be the just the higher areas of Arc1950/2000 and Plagne Centre & above?
snow report
rob@rar, Are you out over Christmas? Lovely photos Very Happy

red 27, I think Peisey/Vallandry were planning to open on the 17th. Its usually a lovely quiet week to ski
latest report
red 27, I'm in Meribel and skied down to Meribel Village at 1,400m and it was OK. Good snow coverage, although a little bit crisp. If we get the snow which is forecast this week it might freshen that up as well. Although I didn't ski in Les Arcs yesterday the piste around Arc 1800 looked in perfect condition, so I'd be surprised if links to the lower villages weren't open. The snow line yesterday was down to almost Moutiers and snowcrazy skied to Bourg a few days ago, so there's plenty of snow for the pisteurs to work with.

genepi, yes, will be in Les Arcs from the 17th.
ski holidays
genepi, rob@rar, Thanks guys. I love to ski the week before crimbo - sets one up for the 'festivities' Shocked
latest report
Not enough.........................
snow conditions
genepi wrote:
rob@rar, Are you out over Christmas? Lovely photos Very Happy

red 27, I think Peisey/Vallandry were planning to open on the 17th. Its usually a lovely quiet week to ski

LA / Peisey/Vallandry opened today, handbag next Saturday. Not all lifts though.
ski holidays
Maersk, cryptic...............
ski holidays
Today was one of those crazy days when there are just not enough minutes in the day. Having been out to way past my bedtime I was up and out at 7.30am to get my car sorted, collect my Carte Neige, ski pass and be back up to Les Arcs and ready for taking people out by 10am and I managed it, just!

The snow report from the pisteurs did not get to me in time for my early start, but in summary.

10/12/2011
Altitude
1620 / 1800 m 2040 m 2400 m 3000 m

Snow depth
30 75 cm 100 120

Températures
-0.5 -2 -4.5 -5

Risque d’avalanche (1 à 5) : 3 risque marqué

Last snowfall : 55 cm Le 07/12/2011

The best thing about today was the number of lifts open on the first day of the season.
In the morning I spent most of my time putting down fresh tracks in my favourite areas and managed to find some good snow, but also quite a lot of wind slab and crazy ice patches that you could not see till you hit them.

By the afternoon you could get to most places in the resort, but Villaroger did remain closed so did a grand tour of everywhere that was open. By far the worst place today was the last 100m coming into the Peisey Chair. Rocks, grass and a ditch half exposed. Shall not go there again until it snows a bit more.

With blue sky and a pleasant temp, it was a great start to the season and now we must hope it continues this way. I will try to have tomorrows details posted before going out in the morning.
latest report
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid looking good for the next week!
snow report
Going to peisey this afternoon for some skiing, will try get to arcs and back and take some pictures to post up.
snow conditions
Jon Ford, try the 1600m forecast - that's not so pretty...
ski holidays
This is a link to Les Arcs realtime lift & piste 'status' ... not sure the link has been posted before, apologies if it has.
ski holidays
Jon Ford wrote:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid looking good for the next week!

Wow, that's changed!

I hope that comes off, what a week it'll be from the 17th Very Happy

(I'm ignoring the rain lower down, ha)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
forget the rain at the lower. Im staying 1950 anyway!! Just ski 1800+ (plus not going for another 8wks so hoping it will be full on snow)!
snow report
Jon Ford, sounds like a plan! Laughing
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
For all those that like to start watching the webcams.

Here are the links I have been using, they are not all turned on yet, but if you get bored then have a look and let us all know when they are back on.

Blah blah lots of links.

Have fun!! Very Happy Maybe Allam will link them all together for us like he did last year.

Done most of Les Arcs -- see my signature. If you want any added let me know (with the links),
ski holidays
how come one of the cams is labelled "valley of the idiots"???
ski holidays
Jon Ford, well spotted.... Cliquez ici

Very Happy Very Happy

Actually that thread has some good off piste routes on it - there may be more soon.
snow report
cheers allanm,
latest report
rob@rar, We're there from 23rd to Jan 1st - it would be nice to catch up!
snow report
Another fun day comes to an end. Managed to hit the slopes today with a group of skiers and a snowboarder that were up for most anything.

Started off with a few warm ups on the pistes going up to the Grand Col which had just opened. Most if not all pistes in the Arc 2000 bowl are in very good conditions, but the piste natures all need more snow to save your skis from damage. Once up on the Grand... Col spent of the morning putting fresh tracks down various places and finally a fun line cutting back towards the Aiguille Rouge and Arc 1950 for lunch.

A good lunch in Luigis and then a grand tour of Les Arcs by a route including both on an off piste runs from Arc 1950 all the way to Peisey Vallandry taking in Arc 1600 and Arc 1800 on the way. The new Mont Blanc chair opened and does work well making a quicker journey out of Arc 1600. So as a link lift is is good. But you also get a great view of the off piste which I think is a real shame for our quiet little corner. Oh well!

Although still closed we also skied the new piste at the Peisey end and all the way back to the Vallandry lift which allows you to miss out the stones down into the Peisey lift.

Overall today, with most lifts now open, it showed how much fun can be had in Les Arcs in the first week of the season and more snow is forecast for tomorrow and the next few days. We shall see.

Other good news, the ESF is now in Arc 1950 with a new ski school office. They have a full range of options which link into the school in Arc 2000 with the added bonus that they guarantee all English speaking clients will get an English speaking Instructor, whether for private or group lessons. they are also cheaper than Spirit 1950 school in all areas. Other discounts are being discussed and I will post more info about this once I here.

The link for booking online is currently still through the Arc 2000 ESF office:

http://esf-arc-2000.com/index-en.html
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
Other good news, the ESF is now in Arc 1950 with a new ski school office. They have a full range of options which link into the school in Arc 2000 with the added bonus that they guarantee all English speaking clients will get an English speaking Instructor, whether for private or group lessons. they are also cheaper than Spirit 1950 school in all areas. Other discounts are being discussed and I will post more info about this once I here.

The link for booking online is currently still through the Arc 2000 ESF office:

http://esf-arc-2000.com/index-en.html

Wow thats interesting. Spirit1950 are good but they have(had) a monopoly and priced accordingly. I have spent a lot of money with Spirit and have politely suggested a discount would be nice but was advised that the owner of Spirit couldn't care less and not to waste my breath asking him. This year he has lost my business. There is a huge difference in prices. Good news.
ski holidays
looks like it's snowing hard there this morning Smile
ski holidays
allanm, thanks very much! That will help my snow-stalking over the next 4 weeks Smile
latest report
red 27 wrote:
looks like it's snowing hard there this morning Smile

Predictions of between 3-4 foot cumalative falling this week. Nice Madeye-Smiley Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy