Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Jonpim, perhaps it means that the next snow will be delivered in 28 weeks. Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Follow this link and you'll get the most detailed forecast I've seen. Whether it's accurate or not, we'll find out as we're there from Easter Monday!

http://www.metcheck.com/snow/skiResort.asp?ResortID=26&Country=France&Resort=La+Plagne&PROMO=
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JeremyDL, hope its good for ya, but not so good its all gone by April 9th! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, no: I think Mr Weather is having a real ball this year, and decided to tease Homo Sapiens to the limit.
Lots of us drive out to the Alps at Easter. We should take chains, but this year with all this warm weather and rain forecast a lot of people are not going to bother. By this time next week the snow will be pouring down and hundreds of poor Brits will be stranded.
Mr Weather will be pissing with laughter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, that will be nice Jonpim. For the last few days he's just been pissing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not all wee wee...it was snowing lightly at mid-station Andermatt today and the snow's still in very good condition
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On piste that is...the off-piste looks rocky
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skanky - just for your reference if you want to go back and check the relevant charts...

From the Serre Che trip I've just returned from, overnight Wednesday we had damp-ish snow (really sticky on the board - virtually had to lean back to get through!) down to approx 2,300m - around 5cm tops I'd say. Overnight Thurs gave us another couple of cm dry powder to around the same level - maybe 100m lower. The snow that fell overnight Saturday came a bit lower down and ended up at around 1900m - but that was the thin tail of it - most of the heavier stuff fell at 2000+

The only thing saving the resort from utter disaster is the huge amount of artificial snow they stacked up in the cold spell. Unfortunately any slopes not covered by the cannons are now brown. Mud & grass brown, not slush brown that is...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow-forecast now has the f/l no higher than 2100 today, then dropping all week thru to next Sat night when it drops to 1200m, here's hoping!! They have it up around 1900m during the day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh, I noticed the f/l prediction for the end of the week is very variable - it seems to change on almost an hourly basis - yesterday morning they were predicting rising temperatures towards the end of the week!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeh it does seem to be very up and down Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, it's a satellite picture of Europe, so it's more of a nowcast than a forecast, true, but for an area of it, it's definitely snow-related.

carled, thanks for that. I'll check it when I get a chance later today.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ian Hopkinson, gregh, im getting very confused!!! Puzzled

ah well, still getting excited about having a holiday in 11 days time...ive got crazy cabin fever, be nice to breath in some fresh (hopefully not too damp) mountain air (beats Leeds pollution anyway!!) Very Happy Very Happy

Thats my stance until something more concretely optimistic comes along regarding snow conditions Sad rolling eyes Puzzled Shocked Very Happy snowHead Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the forecasts today..... snowHead snowHead snowHead

god i hope they are right! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomski01, well they got it wrong today! As late as this morning forecasts indicated freeze levels at 1600m dropping to 1300m by this afternoon for the Tarentaise Valley. They changed it to 1500m this morning, 1500m this afternoon, an hour back.

But.... it's raining up to nearly 2000m Sad

They also had a cold snap arriving Friday/Saturday. Not any more though. Haven't checked the long range forecasts - I'm still hoping it's on its way, but delayed. Or has the system bringing in warm wet air from the SW reestablished its dominance?
snow conditions
Latest from snow-forecast still has f/l bouncing around 2000m, rain low down, snow high up, looks like significant snow coming in after the weekend, but that is still too far away to be sure.

courcheval website has 1cm new wet snow at 1850 and +1c, with 3cm at 2700m and -5

cheers,

greg
latest report
The models are all over the place at the moment. I wouldn't take any forecast beyond about two days with any confidence...and that's just for the UK. It's even more difficult to worki out what borderline conditions will bring for the mountains.
snow report
aw shucks...back down to earth then Sad

although, as long as it stays ok above 2000m ill not be whinging...not given the way things have gone over last week or two Very Happy
ski holidays
Doesn't mean they'll be wrong, though. wink
snow report
does it look like the 20+ degree in resort temps are gone for the foreseeable future????
snow conditions
The 'good weather' is forecast to return tomorrow and Friday, and it looks as if it will be pretty warm around the Tarentaise, in the sun. 0°C around 2300m.
snow report
Looks like a (probable) return to southerlies over the weekend (well, from Thursday night), as a large HP builds over central Europe then moves eastwards. There's hints of another LP over the northern Med., but that would just add to the southerly flow.
latest report
skanky, thats bad right? Crying or Very sad

man, this april snow malarky is stressful! Shocked
ski holidays
tomski01, yes, but it's based on FAX charts only, and as (for example) ECMWF output is at odds with the FAX charts in places, it's only one version of events. HOwever, though ECMWF is not in full agreement, it doesn't offer much in the way of hope. I haven't looked at GFS yet.
snow report
On behalf of all the readers of this thread, may I offer a vote of thanks to our very own Met Man skanky. You might not like all the forecasts but he has not given up scanning the charts and offering interpretations. Great effort, mate. snowHead snowHead
snow report
looks like fresh snow on the roofs in Meribel....

snow conditions
ooooooooooo....... snowHead

Val Thorens is looking snowy too:

http://www.belhorizon.com/live_panorama.html

Think I will go put my ski boots on in preparation for next week snowHead
snow report
skanky, indeed you are a hero....just a shame you dont have more direct control over the weather eh....any chance of that happening for next season wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's where it's coming from:

http://www.landi.ch/scripts/meteo/radarbild/radar.gif
ski holidays
skanky, you have all the cool links and fancy radar pictures, checking this thread is always fun! (i especially like that ensembles thingy with all the multi coloured lines, it always tells me what i want to see, even if it isnt always what actually happens!) Little Angel
snow conditions
tomski01:

www.wetterzentral.de
www.westwinds.ch
latest report
skanky, here's one for you. What will the weather be like in Chamonix? I want to ski the vallee blanche at the weekend, which day is likely to be the better day for visibility out of the sunday and the monday?

Any help would be gratefully received.
latest report
looking at snow-forecast.com for Chamonix Sunday appears to be the day to go for, with snow forecast all day Monday...will be interesting to see what skanky thinks!
ski holidays
Chamonix meteo agrees: sunny and mild on Sunday, with a 'disturbance' on Monday.
latest report
HAve to agree with the forecasts (thankfully wink. GFS & UKMO have a LP in the northern Med. on Monday and GFS pushes this up into the Alps throughout the day, bringing cloud and precip. to that area. UKMO keeps it further south, but still influencing that region. ECMWF does not show this LP, though it does have a pressure "col" move through - which could bring cloud (esp. if there's any form of upper air depression or trough). All three models have a small ridge of HP over the area on Sunday. So I'd say Sunday is probably going to be the best day.

The GFS 12z will be out soon which may alter things, but as snow forecast and Chamonix Meteo have probably already seen it and are still going for the same thing, then it perhaps hasn't changed much. The models are starting to agree a bit more for the weekend (they probably were this morning, but I hadn't looked much) for Europe, even if they're still a bit over the place for the UK.
latest report
skanky, laundryman, gregh, thanks guys, I shall book a guide for Sunday then.
snow conditions
****USUAL CAVEATS APPLY****

Wink
ski holidays
kuwait_ian wrote:
On behalf of all the readers of this thread, may I offer a vote of thanks to our very own Met Man skanky. You might not like all the forecasts but he has not given up scanning the charts and offering interpretations. Great effort, mate. snowHead snowHead

Thanks for that, though I've been a little lapse, and a little inaccurate (esp. of late).
ski holidays
snowHead snowHead snowHead today! (La Plagne webcams looking pretty good!)

lets hope this weekends little 'warm' spell doesnt last too long....although SF and metcheck dont think it will, but i will always tend to trust meteo.fr, hope they are worng at the moment Puzzled Shocked

anyway, ill celebrate the snowHead snowHead for now anwyays Smile
snow report
The warm weather looks set to be confined to the north and western Alps, with much of Italy and parts of Austria to stay a lot cooler. Precipitation should die off after today, but it looks like there's going to be bits around for the rest of the weekend.

Found this site this morning:

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/index.htm

If you go to the Meteograms you can find (for example) this (BSM):

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/meteogr/nmm22/BOPX.PNG

The whole site is great for the Alps, but remember that it's just one model.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy